Titleist EXP-01

awtryau89

https://www.titleist.com/product/titleist-exp.01/T0001S.html

Now seeing the box and the limited marketing, maybe they are taking this approach for feedback earlier in the development process instead of the TeamTitleist test ball approach that they have been doing for years? I am not sure how valuable the feedback was on sending out free sleeves of the upcoming ProV1 every 2 years given the timing likely meant that the ball was finalized. Although, that approach does help identify big problems like what recently happened with Costco and this would be a relatively cheap way to get a good test sample before they ramp up production in anticipation of an upcoming launch.

> @storm319 said:

> https://www.titleist.com/product/titleist-exp.01/T0001S.html

>

> Now seeing the box and the limited marketing, maybe they are taking this approach for feedback earlier in the development process instead of the TeamTitleist test ball approach that they have been doing for years? I am not sure how valuable the feedback was on sending out free sleeves of the upcoming ProV1 every 2 years given the timing likely meant that the ball was finalized. Although, that approach does help identify big problems like what recently happened with Costco and this would be a relatively cheap way to get a good test sample before they ramp up production in anticipation of an upcoming launch.

This approach is talked about in the article Jonathan Wall wrote that includes quotes from Mahoney. The typical white box is as you mention an almost complete product where this ball is in the very early stages and they aren’t seeking tour pro feedback at the moment.

From what I gleaned from another popular equipment website this is Titleist’s strategy with the ball. EXP stands for experimental. 01 is model 1. Titleist is not talking much about how the ball performs. They want to hear from everyday players how the ball performs for them. Based on that feedback the ball may become a permanent addition to the Titleist line up, or it may disappear and be replaced by a tweaked EXP 02. I think it’s a brilliant strategy. They will get the ball in the hands of thousands (millions?) of beta testers who will provide mountains of data, and they’ll make a profit to boot.

> @dalehead said:

> From what I gleaned from another popular equipment website this is Titleist’s strategy with the ball. EXP stands for experimental. 01 is model 1. Titleist is not talking much about how the ball performs. They want to hear from everyday players how the ball performs for them. Based on that feedback the ball may become a permanent addition to the Titleist line up, or it may disappear and be replaced by a tweaked EXP 02. I think it’s a brilliant strategy. They will get the ball in the hands of thousands (millions?) of beta testers who will provide mountains of data, and they’ll make a profit to boot.

Thousands is more likely and that could be pushing it.

> @dalehead said:

> From what I gleaned from another popular equipment website this is Titleist’s strategy with the ball. EXP stands for experimental. 01 is model 1. Titleist is not talking much about how the ball performs. They want to hear from everyday players how the ball performs for them. Based on that feedback the ball may become a permanent addition to the Titleist line up, or it may disappear and be replaced by a tweaked EXP 02. I think it’s a brilliant strategy. They will get the ball in the hands of thousands (millions?) of beta testers who will provide mountains of data, and they’ll make a profit to boot.

Would you be more likely to provide feedback for a product you bought rather than one that was mailed for free to you, like Titleist has done for years with their prototype sleeves? That answer may shape how many more of these releases will exist. But like you said, it's a profit this way no matter what.

> @jschwarb said:

> > @dalehead said:

> > From what I gleaned from another popular equipment website this is Titleist’s strategy with the ball. EXP stands for experimental. 01 is model 1. Titleist is not talking much about how the ball performs. They want to hear from everyday players how the ball performs for them. Based on that feedback the ball may become a permanent addition to the Titleist line up, or it may disappear and be replaced by a tweaked EXP 02. I think it’s a brilliant strategy. They will get the ball in the hands of thousands (millions?) of beta testers who will provide mountains of data, and they’ll make a profit to boot.

>

> Would you be more likely to provide feedback for a product you bought rather than one that was mailed for free to you, like Titleist has done for years with their prototype sleeves? That answer may shape how many more of these releases will exist. But like you said, it's a profit this way no matter what.

i am on team Titleist , but customer service basically told me , they send the prototypes out to those who are involved on blogs and converstions, I am not , so chances are I wont get a free sleeve

> @jschwarb said:

> > @dalehead said:

> > From what I gleaned from another popular equipment website this is Titleist’s strategy with the ball. EXP stands for experimental. 01 is model 1. Titleist is not talking much about how the ball performs. They want to hear from everyday players how the ball performs for them. Based on that feedback the ball may become a permanent addition to the Titleist line up, or it may disappear and be replaced by a tweaked EXP 02. I think it’s a brilliant strategy. They will get the ball in the hands of thousands (millions?) of beta testers who will provide mountains of data, and they’ll make a profit to boot.

>

> Would you be more likely to provide feedback for a product you bought rather than one that was mailed for free to you, like Titleist has done for years with their prototype sleeves? That answer may shape how many more of these releases will exist. But like you said, it's a profit this way no matter what.

According to titleist these are far earlier in the prototype phase than the whit box sleeves they send out to consumers for testing/feedback. Those balls have already had internal testing, tour feedback and are close to being ready for release.

Titleist is smart here. They get some sales...makes the owners happy, they drive buzz of a potential new ball and the ability for the golf consumer to provide early feedback and feel like they are part of the process. This could help draw in more eyes on their product for the consumer that may think wow they want out feedback let me see what else they have available I might like

I will just stick with the standerd Prov1X with no dashes, dots, or strange lettering. Although, I think beta testing balls out to the masses is a genius idea. Well played Titleist.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> I will just stick with the standerd Prov1X with no dashes, dots, or strange lettering. Although, I think beta testing balls out to the masses is a genius idea. Well played Titleist.

It's a genius marketing idea. I'm just not sure it's much value for R&D. Most of the people hitting these balls are going to have the equipment necessary or be able to hit the volume of consistent shots to draw any real conclusions from the ball.

> @arbeck said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I will just stick with the standerd Prov1X with no dashes, dots, or strange lettering. Although, I think beta testing balls out to the masses is a genius idea. Well played Titleist.

>

> It's a genius marketing idea. I'm just not sure it's much value for R&D. Most of the people hitting these balls are going to have the equipment necessary or be able to hit the volume of consistent shots to draw any real conclusions from the ball.

agree, I also do not really see anything set up by Titleist to collect any kind of data other than sales numbers. But, if after the initial rush for everyone to get them before everyone else they continue to sell, they have a winner.

I won't be buying them as I refuse to pay more than $40 for a dozen balls.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> agree, I also do not really see anything set up by Titleist to collect any kind of data other than sales numbers. But, if after the initial rush for everyone to get them before everyone else they continue to sell, they have a winner.

>

> I won't be buying them as I refuse to pay more than $40 for a dozen balls.

I do think there are a lot of people that change balls often trying to find a unicorn. With Titleist basically only having two balls for them (and unable to make drastic changes to those two), this kind of thing makes sense. First they launched the AVX. Now there's the V1x left dash. Now this. The kind of golfer who buys a dozen balls of 5-6 types over the year probably wasn't buying Titleist very often. But if Titleist keeps giving them something new to try, they pick up some sales.

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @arbeck said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > I will just stick with the standerd Prov1X with no dashes, dots, or strange lettering. Although, I think beta testing balls out to the masses is a genius idea. Well played Titleist.

> >

> > It's a genius marketing idea. I'm just not sure it's much value for R&D. Most of the people hitting these balls are going to have the equipment necessary or be able to hit the volume of consistent shots to draw any real conclusions from the ball.

>

> agree, I also do not really see anything set up by Titleist to collect any kind of data other than sales numbers. But, if after the initial rush for everyone to get them before everyone else they continue to sell, they have a winner.

>

This seems to be more pure marketing than it is for real usable feedback. Scarcity and the hype around being included in the prototyping process is a smart move on Titleist's part to drive sales during a generally slow time in their 2 year ProV1 product cycle as well as introduce this type of product at a lower price point without damaging the ProV1 franchise. The reality is that this is a complete ball (now on the USGA conforming list) that they seemed to build a unique marketing story around, however whether this marketing concept sticks around in the next product cycle remains to be seen.

> @storm319 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @arbeck said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > I will just stick with the standerd Prov1X with no dashes, dots, or strange lettering. Although, I think beta testing balls out to the masses is a genius idea. Well played Titleist.

> > >

> > > It's a genius marketing idea. I'm just not sure it's much value for R&D. Most of the people hitting these balls are going to have the equipment necessary or be able to hit the volume of consistent shots to draw any real conclusions from the ball.

> >

> > agree, I also do not really see anything set up by Titleist to collect any kind of data other than sales numbers. But, if after the initial rush for everyone to get them before everyone else they continue to sell, they have a winner.

> >

> > I won't be buying them as I refuse to pay more than $40 for a dozen balls.

>

> This seems to be more pure marketing than it is for real usable feedback. Scarcity and the hype around being included in the prototyping process is a smart move on Titleist's part to drive sales during a generally slow time in their 2 year ProV1 product cycle as well as introduce this type of product at a lower price point without damaging the ProV1 franchise. The reality is that this is a complete ball (now on the USGA conforming list) that they seemed to build a unique marketing story around, however whether this marketing concept sticks around in the next product cycle remains to be seen.

completely agree.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @storm319 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @arbeck said:

> > > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > I will just stick with the standerd Prov1X with no dashes, dots, or strange lettering. Although, I think beta testing balls out to the masses is a genius idea. Well played Titleist.

> > >

> > > It's a genius marketing idea. I'm just not sure it's much value for R&D. Most of the people hitting these balls are going to have the equipment necessary or be able to hit the volume of consistent shots to draw any real conclusions from the ball.

> >

> > agree, I also do not really see anything set up by Titleist to collect any kind of data other than sales numbers. But, if after the initial rush for everyone to get them before everyone else they continue to sell, they have a winner.

> >

> > I won't be buying them as I refuse to pay more than $40 for a dozen balls.

>

> This seems to be more pure marketing than it is for real usable feedback. Scarcity and the hype around being included in the prototyping process is a smart move on Titleist's part to drive sales during a generally slow time in their 2 year ProV1 product cycle as well as introduce this type of product at a lower price point without damaging the ProV1 franchise. The reality is that this is a complete ball (now on the USGA conforming list) that they seemed to build a unique marketing story around, however whether this marketing concept sticks around in the next product cycle remains to be seen.

Please show me where it’s a lower price?

> @GoGoErky said:

> Please show me where it’s a lower price?

[$43 from Titleist for the EXP-01](https://www.titleist.com/product/titleist-exp.01/T0001S.html "$43 from Titelist for the EXP-01")

[$52 from Titleist for the Pro V1](https://www.titleist.com/product/titleist-pro-v1/002PV1T.html "$52 from Titleist for the Pro V1")

The minimum advertised price for the Pro V1 is $47.99 and it's $39.99 for the EXP-01.

maybe its a price point thing.. paying around 50 dollars for a dozen balls is prohibitive for me especially when Bstone and Srixon make equivalent balls and sell for closer to $40 .. and the tech that is "new" for titleist sound like what Bstone and Srixon having been doing for a few years now anyways .. also the chrome soft phenomenon 2 years ago probably prompted this move and these are the fruits .. in short its just a reaction to the changing ball market.. (throw the TP5 buzz in there too)

> @arbeck said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

>

> > Please show me where it’s a lower price?

>

> [$43 from Titleist for the EXP-01](https://www.titleist.com/product/titleist-exp.01/T0001S.html "$43 from Titelist for the EXP-01")

>

> [$52 from Titleist for the Pro V1](https://www.titleist.com/product/titleist-pro-v1/002PV1T.html "$52 from Titleist for the Pro V1")

>

> The minimum advertised price for the Pro V1 is $47.99 and it's $39.99 for the EXP-01.

@GoGoErky As noted in the URLs above, $9 MSRP difference direct from Titleist and $8 MAP difference from retailers (however the EXP-01 may be harder to find).

When it comes to price, you need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If you are comparing purchasing the EXP-01 direct from Titleist at full MSRP + shipping vs the ProV1 at MAP from a B&M retailer, then it may be a wash. Purchase of both of these balls from the same channel will amount in a lower price for the EXP-01.

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @jschwarb said:

> > > @dalehead said:

> > > From what I gleaned from another popular equipment website this is Titleist’s strategy with the ball. EXP stands for experimental. 01 is model 1. Titleist is not talking much about how the ball performs. They want to hear from everyday players how the ball performs for them. Based on that feedback the ball may become a permanent addition to the Titleist line up, or it may disappear and be replaced by a tweaked EXP 02. I think it’s a brilliant strategy. They will get the ball in the hands of thousands (millions?) of beta testers who will provide mountains of data, and they’ll make a profit to boot.

> >

> > Would you be more likely to provide feedback for a product you bought rather than one that was mailed for free to you, like Titleist has done for years with their prototype sleeves? That answer may shape how many more of these releases will exist. But like you said, it's a profit this way no matter what.

>

> According to titleist these are far earlier in the prototype phase than the whit box sleeves they send out to consumers for testing/feedback. Those balls have already had internal testing, tour feedback and are close to being ready for release.

>

> Titleist is smart here. They get some sales...makes the owners happy, they drive buzz of a potential new ball and the ability for the golf consumer to provide early feedback and feel like they are part of the process. This could help draw in more eyes on their product for the consumer that may think wow they want out feedback let me see what else they have available I might like

>

Extremely smart. Got all the usual run from golf.com, Golf Digest, etc. And the packaging is perfect -- it looks like some kind of insider secret project, even more so than the white sleeves because those are completely blank. These say "Straight from the Titleist R&D Lab," which is brilliant. I'm enough of a Titleist honk to keep a dozen in the closet just because it's something different.

> @jschwarb said:

> > @dalehead said:

>

The prototype sleeves were pretty much a finished product. They were coming to market barring some kind of disastrous reception. The EXP balls are at a much earlier stage in their development. Provide feedback? You mean like write them a letter? Send them an email? How 20th century. Today they will get feedback from sites like this and social media. You won’t think your providing them feedback, you’ll just think your sharing info with your real and on line friends.

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @arbeck said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > I will just stick with the standerd Prov1X with no dashes, dots, or strange lettering. Although, I think beta testing balls out to the masses is a genius idea. Well played Titleist.

> >

> > It's a genius marketing idea. I'm just not sure it's much value for R&D. Most of the people hitting these balls are going to have the equipment necessary or be able to hit the volume of consistent shots to draw any real conclusions from the ball.

>

>

See the reply to @jschwarb about Titleist collecting feedback on the EXP ball. I can’t believe anyone who regularly participates on forums like GolfWrx does not understand the treasure trove of information such sites and social media provide manufacturers. How many pages do you think the EXP ball thread will reach when guys get their hands on the ball. That’s how marketing data is collected in 2019.

> @arbeck said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > I will just stick with the standerd Prov1X with no dashes, dots, or strange lettering. Although, I think beta testing balls out to the masses is a genius idea. Well played Titleist.

>

> It's a genius marketing idea. I'm just not sure it's much value for R&D. Most of the people hitting these balls are going to have the equipment necessary or be able to hit the volume of consistent shots to draw any real conclusions from the ball.

You’re kidding, right? Most people do not “have the equipment necessary or be able to hit the volume of consistent shots to draw any real conclusions” about any golf equipment. That doesn’t stop them from expressing their opinions in places like GolfWrx.

I'm surprised those of you who participate in the Costco / Kirkland thread don't see this for the "corporate middle finger" that it is.

This is Titleist telling Costco "We can sell a dozen urethane balls, overtly tell customers we are going to change core and mantle combinations, and still charge the same price for one dozen that you charge for four dozen."

Only place to but the exp that I know of w> @games said:

> I'm surprised those of you who participate in the Costco / Kirkland thread don't see this for the "corporate middle finger" that it is.

>

> This is Titleist telling Costco "We can sell a dozen urethane balls, overtly tell customers we are going to change core and mantle combinations, and still charge the same price for one dozen that you charge for four dozen."

Wouldn't it be telling all brands that since tour level balls outside of the sales time are within the $45-48 range