Titleist EXP-01

awtryau89

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @monks66 said:

> > anxious to see if a high handi like me can see good spin around green

>

> The ball and green don’t care about ones handicap. Technique has bigger effect around greens. I played with high handicaps who had good short game and lower hdcps that were so so around the green...no touch

>

no but the ball cares about how its hit by the iron?? and a low handi is better at that

> @jak77 said:

> Wasnt planning on hunting for these balls, but went to the local driving range to hit some balls and they had these on the counter. The range also had a deal that if you bough any dozen they would give you two tokens (medium bucket) for free. I was already planning on hitting a medium bucket so I said why not. Got 18 planned for tomorrow so I'll try them out then.

Arundel Golf Park?

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Black 6X

Sim TI Rocket 14* w/ Atmos Black TS 7x

Callaway UW 17* w/ Tensei Pro White 70tx

T100S (4-P) w/ Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 w/ Project X 6.5 Wedge (50/54/58)

***Custom Goodwood G6***

Today was the first time I played the EXP. When I had time, I played it alongside a TP5x. “Feel” was soft, and comparable to an AVX. I could never get away from a dead feeling, with very little feedback to how well....or poorly, I hit the shot. I also noted a muted sound, which might have added to the “dead” feel l was getting. For reference I’ve recently gamed AVX, ProV1, and TP5x. None of these(and others)give me this same feel/feedback. While I’m on the negatives, IMHO, the ball looks cheap. It looks like Titleist put on too much paint, and or, clear. The finish is glossy, with a less defined dimple pattern than their other premium balls. Reminds me of a Kirkland K3. On a positive note, it performed well for me. I wasn’t having a great ball striking day, but if I put a good swing on the ball, it reacted well. Driver distance is comparable to my normal gamers. Iron distance *might* be a bit shorter than a TP5x, but I would say it’s close. I need to play it a lot more, but initial observations seem to point to lower green side spin than a ProV1, and TP5x. Ditto for full wedges. It was breezy today. The EXP reacted well in the wind, and I saw no ballooning. It may not have stayed on line as well as the Taylormade, but it certainly wasn’t doing anything unusual. Ball flight for me might of been marginally higher than an AVX, but not as high as the TP5x. Cover held up ok. I thinned 1 wedge with no cuts to the cover. It did have 3 scuffs, but nothing bad enough to take it out of play. After one round, I thinks it’s a good ball. It won’t push my current gamers out of the bag, but I won’t hesitate rotating them in until they’re gone.

I played my first full round with the exp and I am very impressed.

Driver Feel- The ball feels light, meaning the fees back is not as clear as the Pro V or VX. It definitely softer compression ball but also feels different than AVX, as for me AVX feels it stays on the face longer giving it heavier feel on impact, this ball feels light as the very little feed back.

Driver Distance- I think it is very long- I had a one of the longest driver on a 359 yard dog leg right hole, this ball was just in front of the green. It has low driver spin with higher traj than AVX but I think it tad lower than V1 or VX.

Irons distance- Longer than V1 and VX and I think on miss hits because of its softer compression the ball flies more on thin shots.

Wedges - distance is comparable and predictable but when I delofted my wedges I was able to squeeze extra

10 yards or more out of the shot.

Spin- the ball spins well, much better than AVX- I think it may be more spinny than V1 of open face shots and about the same on square face shots. Little delicate shot were really controllable and stop quickly.

Putter- With Spider X it felt soft I think people who like soft thud will like this ball others who like little click will not like this.

Anyways without what to expect, had 4 birds and shot 1 under par today with the ball

Durability- Normal ware but on thin shots I saw a mark on the ball, I think the cover is definitely grabby and different, like Srixon spin skin or Bridgestone outter layer clear cot for spin - definitely different from one you find on V1 or VX

My Driver SS- 116 to 118 with normal swing

Driver Model used- TS4

Irons- Hogans FT Blacks

Wedges- Nike Engage

Putter Spider X

Verdict: Good ball, soft and long- responsive on shot game

shots- for $39 I think this might take back the market share lost to Chrome soft- I really believe that Titlelist engineers came together to attack that very issue with failed attempt with Truesoft- EXP 01 with little

more refinement will be a problem for Callaway

Finally played a full 18 holes with the ball yesterday and let me say I continue to be impressed! First time I used ball I went through 3 balls in 8 holes due to cover but since then I haven't an issue. Coming from the og Ksigs this ball is rather close to them, at least for me. Only thing I would say is flights a little straighter for me and a hair more feel around the greens. Slightly more spin as well. I could stop a few shots quicker then I normally could with the kirklands. Overall since that initial bad cover sleeve I have not had a complaint. Here is a photo of the ball, 18 holes and hit a tree square on 17 on a punch out and did not leave a mark. I can deal with this cover for 1 ball for 18 holes! Curious to see what these balls become!

2019-10-19_10-49-44

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

First round with the EXP-01

Driver: distance was similar to ProV1X or Bridgestone BX Tour

Irons: distance was similar, maybe slightly higher flight, spin was similar

Wedge: less than ProV1X but similar to others

Putting: This is my biggest take away, this ball “Sounds” soft. It’s not that I think the cover is softer but because it doesn’t click or make a harsh sound you perceive it to be “soft”

My .02$

oz0a9qdj6qds.jpeg

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

i found it to be similiar to avx, in every way, putting i saw the feel most similar to avx.. loved it..i wasnt play all that well, so as far as holding the green it was hard to gage, but with that said, it stoppped similar to AVX... let it be said I am a mid handi..so not the best judge of wedge spin...didnt see it to out perform the BRX drastically, so with the BRX's low cost i will stick with the BRX

I was able to try the EXP-01 today. I got a sleeve from one of the assistant pros at my club and intended to alternate it with my normal ball, the Pro V1x. I ended up playing the same EXP-01 ball for the entire round and really liked it. It was as long as the Pro V1x off the driver and irons (maybe a little longer for me to be honest - I hit a couple of drives and a few iron shots that carried longer than expected given the cold temperatures this morning), with decent short game spin, and it felt softer than the Pro V1x to me, especially with the putter. Durability was pretty good - I hit a couple of trees on the first two holes and the ball held up pretty well with no scuffs and lasted the entire round. Ball flight also seemed higher than Pro V1x to me, and a little straighter.

I liked the ball a lot and actually ordered some from Titleist when I got home. It feels like an AVX with more spin to me, and I like the soft feel and the performance of the ball. It was way better than I expected.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

> @zdtallan said:

> > @jak77 said:

> > Wasnt planning on hunting for these balls, but went to the local driving range to hit some balls and they had these on the counter. The range also had a deal that if you bough any dozen they would give you two tokens (medium bucket) for free. I was already planning on hitting a medium bucket so I said why not. Got 18 planned for tomorrow so I'll try them out then.

>

> Arundel Golf Park?

Yes! You in the area too??

I purchased a sleeve when I was paying for my green fee. They had it right on the counter and I thought what the heck. I didn't immediately play it off the first tee and stuck with my Pro V1x. I finally got to put it play on short par 5. My first impression was that it had a penetrating ball flight. Definitely much lower than the Pro V1x and AVX. A very similar soft feel to the AVX off the face. Spin wasn't anything that was noticeable on wedge shots. It reacted as I would expect the Pro V1x or AVx to react on the green. Very slight differences and probably not enough to make me switch.

If anyone’s interested, TXG reviewed the ball.

My brief experience with it is similar to what they found. Good ball speed, and slightly less iron spin than a ProV1. The biggest difference was green side spin. BTW, I played another round with it, and scuffed(full wedge shot)the cover bad enough that I took it out of play.

This ball seems good. It feels soft or muted off the face with a driver and nice and smooth/heavy/soft with irons. It seems long, but it definitely feels super dull or muted.. which I think I’d like if I got used to it, but I was confused if something was wrong with my driver. The cover also breaks down easily. Each time I used a wedge I scuffed it. But... I think I could get used to this ball if I had some feedback or numbers supporting what it was actually doing! Haha. What came first the chicken or the egg? Either way good experiment by Titleist.

I haven't read all pages in the thread, so someone may have made this point. I met with a Titleist rep this week at the club I work at.

The EXP ball was made, as a test, to compete with the cheaper urethane balls on the market. This cheaper urethane is used by **all** other manufacturers, Bridgestone, TM, Srixon, etc.

Titleist Prov 1, Prov 1x, and AVX are made with a more expensive urethane formula, that's why they cost more, and supposedly perform better.

The EXP-1 is a market test to see if the cheaper process ball is viable in the Titleist line-up.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

> @BMC said:

> I haven't read all pages in the thread, so someone may have made this point. I met with a Titleist rep this week at the club I work at.

>

> The EXP ball was made, as a test, to compete with the cheaper urethane balls on the market. This cheaper urethane is used by **all** other manufacturers, Bridgestone, TM, Srixon, etc.

>

> Titleist Prov 1, Prov 1x, and AVX are made with a more expensive urethane formula, that's why they cost more, and supposedly perform better.

>

> The EXP-1 is a market test to see if the cheaper process ball is viable in the Titleist line-up.

You hit the nail right on the head!

I grabbed a sleeve. They are very comparable to the Project A and Q Star Tour.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @BMC said:

> I haven't read all pages in the thread, so someone may have made this point. I met with a Titleist rep this week at the club I work at.

>

> The EXP ball was made, as a test, to compete with the cheaper urethane balls on the market. This cheaper urethane is used by **all** other manufacturers, Bridgestone, TM, Srixon, etc.

>

> Titleist Prov 1, Prov 1x, and AVX are made with a more expensive urethane formula, that's why they cost more, and supposedly perform better.

>

> The EXP-1 is a market test to see if the cheaper process ball is viable in the Titleist line-up.

The cover on the EXP does not seem to be as durable/scuff resistant as say, a TP5x, or ZStar. It’s been a while since I’ve played Bridgestones regularly, but I don’t remember them having the same issue as the EXP. I played a couple new EXPs today, with one showing little “hairs” after one full wedge shot. The other had deep scuffs that removed some of the cover. No deep cuts though. By the way, my wedges are worn and need replacing.

I like the performance of the EXP, but won’t be buying more because of the durability of the cover.

> @noodle3872 said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > It will be interesting if it is a cheaper urethane model. I'm sure they'd love to regain some share, but I wonder whether they'd actually make more or less money going this route. So far, they've just stuck with the premium ball / premium price point, and those that want it pay for it. They can obviously run the actual numbers (vs. us all guessing/speculating), but it would seem like they risk cannibalizing some ProV sales to the die hard Titleist fans here. So far, the losses may be to the more value conscious people. Of course, it could also just be that the market has moved, and if they don't eat their own lunch (ProV) someone else will.

>

> If this is a lower price point urethane covered ball I don’t see a reason to worry about Pro V1 sales. People may test this ball to see how it stacks up against the Pro V1 models. But I would think this ball will impact the sales of Srixon Q Star Tour and TM Project A more simply because the ball is a Titleist. The Tour Soft competes well against QST and Project A but the 2 piece design and non-urethane cover are detracters.

>

Agree. I actually think the ProV1 appeals to golfers who think more expensive means better, so I don't see these taking sales from ProV. Sounds more like a re badged AVX.

The only change in cover that would really save on Titleist’s production cost would be changing to injection molded TPU. In the 25ish years of Titleist’s urethane usage, they have always used a casting process with thermoset urethane which as a process takes longer per ball and has a higher scrap rate which increases cost. However given Titleist’s expertise, this switch would likely only amount in savings of pennies per ball.

Ultimately changes in production cost of a golf ball have little impact on the final retail price (has more to due with what consumers are willing to pay).

> @noodle3872 said:

> > @BMC said:

> > I haven't read all pages in the thread, so someone may have made this point. I met with a Titleist rep this week at the club I work at.

> >

> > The EXP ball was made, as a test, to compete with the cheaper urethane balls on the market. This cheaper urethane is used by **all** other manufacturers, Bridgestone, TM, Srixon, etc.

> >

> > Titleist Prov 1, Prov 1x, and AVX are made with a more expensive urethane formula, that's why they cost more, and supposedly perform better.

> >

> > The EXP-1 is a market test to see if the cheaper process ball is viable in the Titleist line-up.

>

> You hit the nail right on the head!

>

> I grabbed a sleeve. They are very comparable to the Project A and Q Star Tour.

Not for me. I found the QST longer off the driver,softer, better around the greens, and definitely more durable.

• 2 weeks later...

I played this ball again after not playing it for a while and have to say that my opinion has changed a bit. When I first played it, the cover seemed like it was easily marred - especially from contact with a cart path.

This time, I thought the ball performed very well. It started out in the 30's and got to the upper 40's and then temps dropped towards the last third of the round. Driver performance is great - when struck well it really seems to carry. The performance on shots into the green is good as well - it will stop, but did not ever draw back on me.

For short game spin it did very well as well. I did not hit any shots that were pinched so it would check up from close range, but I did hit some shots like that from 50-60 yards and they stuck very well. Unfortunately, I can also say that the greenside spin on bladed chips was non-existent :)

After yesterday, I would say that I like the ball a lot and would consider it along with the ProV1 and ProV1x. I still have 22 of them so there will be more testing to come - and hopefull no more bladed chip testing :)

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

If I had to guess this is a replacement for the Tour Soft. That ball doesn't really compete at all with things like the Project(a), Q-Star Tour, Wilson Duo Pro, or a bunch of quality DTC balls that are all in that price range. The TruFeel is fine against something like the Supersoft. And the Velocity is fine against other 2 piece distance balls. But for the person who doesn't want to pay for a Pro V1, Titleist doesn't really have a good product. For a while I think they could cost by on it being a Titleist. But enough golfers are savy enough about balls now to know that it doesn't stack up to the competition that well. I think their biggest fear is cannibalizing sales of the ProV1, ProV1x, and AVX. By moving to a TPU cover, this might allow them enough differentiation to avoid that.

Finally tried this ball yesterday for a full round. I haven't read other comments on performance but here is what I noticed. Very good full shot ball. Driver down to PW the ball played long and a bit of a softer feel. Trajectory was a bit lower than my normal ProV1. Maybe a few yards longer on irons. Spin on full shots was very good. Spin around the greens was lacking. Cover durability was lacking. The balls got very scuffed up from normal play and was very dirty by the end of the round. I played it though all 18 holes.

Played this ball for 18 holes yesterday. As a 9.9 index, I hit 12 fairways and 11 greens. Like others in this thread have mentioned, my iron shots were maybe my best all year-- a couple of the missed greens were well-hit but long. I was thinking maybe I was just swinging better, or maybe the ball made a difference. More testing is needed. I specifically noted better height than the AVX on my iron shots. I wouldn't be surprised if this is some sort of NXT Tour S replacement, and if so maybe I need to reconsider playing that type of ball.