Most expensive equipment mistake!

craz-e

For a single purchase, had to be a set of Srixon 765s that I just never got along with. Purchased for about $600 and sold for $220.

I have gone through quite a few clubs in the past two years though before settling on my current bag:

Ping Oslo putter

Odyssey v-line fang

Titleist 915f 3w

Titleist 716 TMB 3i

Callaway MD2 GW, SW, LW, and Tour Grind LW

Callaway Apex 14 irons (donated to my bro in-law)

Drivers:

Cobra Fly-Z+

Cobra LTD

Cobra F7+

TM M2 (still kept though)

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1k Black 7x 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* Tensei 1k Black 7x 42.5"

Cobra F6 Baffler 19.5* Diamana Blueboard 8x 41.25"

Titleist U505 4i Tensei 1k Black 8x

Titleist T100 5i-9i Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 46F/50F/54F/60M Project x 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

> @geochitown said:

> logging on to golfwrx has been my most expensive equipment mistake :#

THIS, DAMM CLASSIFIEDS!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

> @mbarnocki said:

> Bought a 6-9 718 AP2 set on the bay with PXLZ 5.5 shafts for what seemed like a steal. Ordered a new 5 iron to match. Shafts were too soft, bought modus 120x and softstepped them in. Never got comfortable with the clubs after all sorts of tinkering, even put an old PX 6.0 flighted I had from an old set I loved. Sold them and bought JPX 900 tours again. They are ok, but I still think I should have just gone to a real fitting and bought something proper instead of fitting myself and tinkering trying to save money.

Tinkering trying to save money almost always results in me spending more money lol

10° Titleist TSI2 x Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

17.5° PING G410 x Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

22° PXG 0317X Gen 2 Hybrid x Mitsubishi MMT 80S

Srixon z545 3 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z585 5 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z785 6-PW x Nippon Modus 120S

Wedges: Titleist SM8 50*12F, 54*12D, 58*8M

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Brandon Double Bend

IG: @matt.golfs

After buying a used Scotty Cameron Hollywood and getting it refinished I decided for some dumb reason that I wanted more of his California models. I still game the Hollywood, but sold the Coronado and Del Mar at a loss and have the Monterey 1.5 in my garage collecting dust... I do still get jealous when I see someone playing a flow neck Sonoma though.

• Like 1

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Any driver I bought in the 460 cc era until the Epic Flash.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Buying a set of iron shaft pulls 3-PW for $120 and not realizing it cost $10 per shaft at my local golf mart to change out the shafts... ended up selling the whole iron set a month later

10° Titleist TSI2 x Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

17.5° PING G410 x Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

22° PXG 0317X Gen 2 Hybrid x Mitsubishi MMT 80S

Srixon z545 3 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z585 5 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z785 6-PW x Nippon Modus 120S

Wedges: Titleist SM8 50*12F, 54*12D, 58*8M

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Brandon Double Bend

IG: @matt.golfs

> @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > @craz-e said:

> > As we are all equipment junkies would love to hear about some of the worst/most expensive equipment purchases that failed to live up to the hype, or you just didn’t get on with.

> >

>

> Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that going back to blades (MP-18s that i'm currently playing) not only put a huge dent in my wallet, it has hurt my game as far as scoring/handicap goes. I love the look/feel of them, but I don't think I'm quite good enough to play them anymore. Just got fitted for a new set of more forgiving irons......I hope I'm not needing to revisit this thread to update that THIS is now my worst/most expensive equipment mistake!

Reminds me of Sheryl Crow’s line “you’re my favorite mistake”.

Ended up trading my MP18mb as well after a season and a half. Nothing wrong, I got the the 2018 Callaway Apex mb two iron to stretch out my MP18 (3-PW) set, as you know, Mizuno does not make a 2 iron mb.

Well, the cally two iron felt better than the MP18 that I had to replace the whole set!

• Like 1

> @SubaruWRX said:

> I’m surprised nobody has said “lessons from golftec”. I’ve seen them screw up many good swings.

You must be me. This place is a joke. $1800 or so for 15 lessons and 3x practice sessions per week. It made sense, it was a 7 minute drive from my house and I previously worked for over a decade at the Golf Town store that the GolfTec was housed in. I could stop in and see some old friends every week and catch up. I haven't hit the ball so bad in years to be honest. The lessons are overly basic and they never actually fix anything that was a glaring problem when the rest of the things he had we working on was mostly cosmetic in nature. My entire poor move is an early release/flip. I've had this for years and struggled to get away from it. 12 of my lessons focused on flattening out my swing for some reason?

He had me trying to swing like Jonas Blixt and Aaron Baddeley, which is fine as we are roughly the same height, but these two guys aren't exactly known for their swings and ball striking prowess. It came to light after I had talked to a few people that had taken lessons from different Golf Tec locations that they all were trying to get us to swing as a mirror image of Blixt. That really annoyed me when I heard that as it is clear they have a cookie-cutter model instead of taking each person's unique move and fine tune it to work for them. At one point one of the guys I used to know from work came up to me and asked how it was going and then quietly asked if I had lost a lot of ball speed since going to them, the answer was yes. I went from carrying 7i 165-170 to at best a flushed 6i. I was lucky to practice once a week as the place was so busy as they don't cap how many students they take.

I was also kicked out of the practice bay early twice in a row when my coach wasn't there. Both times the younger pro was giving a lesson that ran about 5-7 minutes over time into my practice session, no problem. I then start hitting and 15 minutes into my session I'm told "okay, if you just want to hit a couple more your time is almost up." I looked at the clock, and yes, my time was almost up if I had gotten in on time. The first time I let it slide. The second time it happened I was already at IDGAF mode anymore and just stormed out of there and cancelled the rest of my lessons (as I only had 2 left anyways). Money lost but I have vowed to let everyone know about how terrible these "lessons" were. One online lesson I had via a YouTube pro and I've had the two best ball striking sessions I've had since I can remember.

There was a point early this year (right after getting the lessons) that every shot I hit was dead thin brained for about 3.5 weeks. Then a co-worker of mine who has seen me swing a lot commented that I looked super stuck and shut as I was push-heeling everything. One little move change with the take away and I flushed 10 shots in a row.

Forget Golf Tec, they are a joke.

Back on topic...I have said it before in other threads but the worst mistake club wise I have ever done was reshafting to Project X 6.0 when they were the hot shafts on tour. No feel, blocked almost everything and it cost me almost $500 for these things. I also thought I was getting a slick set of satin shafts but mine of course were ordered like 2 days after they stopped producing satin so I got the chrome ones. This also double bit me in the butt because there was conjecture on here and other golf forums that the chrome ones were inferior to the satin ones in terms of feel, ball flight, and spin (basically everything you care about in an iron shaft). I ended up selling them for a bigger loss as over time they eventually got their value back to where they should be long after I sold.

• Like 1

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @lefty1978 said:

> Every hybrid I bought.

Im the opposite, every driving iron ive bought. I can them well but kinda useless compared to my 2 hybrid

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

> @Chuck905 said:

> > @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > > @craz-e said:

> > > As we are all equipment junkies would love to hear about some of the worst/most expensive equipment purchases that failed to live up to the hype, or you just didn’t get on with.

> > >

> >

> > Sadly, I've come to the conclusion that going back to blades (MP-18s that i'm currently playing) not only put a huge dent in my wallet, it has hurt my game as far as scoring/handicap goes. I love the look/feel of them, but I don't think I'm quite good enough to play them anymore. Just got fitted for a new set of more forgiving irons......I hope I'm not needing to revisit this thread to update that THIS is now my worst/most expensive equipment mistake!

>

> Reminds me of Sheryl Crow’s line “you’re my favorite mistake”.

>

> Ended up trading my MP18mb as well after a season and a half. Nothing wrong, I got the the 2018 Callaway Apex mb two iron to stretch out my MP18 (3-PW) set, as you know, Mizuno does not make a 2 iron mb.

>

> Well, the cally two iron felt better than the MP18 that I had to replace the whole set!

>

>

Thanks a lot......now I have that song playing over and over in my head.....

> @"K.ip" said:

> Putters, lots and lots of putters

>

> > @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > Heading on a golf trip and bought a 2, 3, 4 and 5 Adams hybrids without ever having swung them. Spent over a grand and sold them after that trip. ** Those 4 hookers never provided a single happy ending**.

> >

> > Then I recommend Thailand......

>

> LMAO

It was the first thing that came to mind......haha.

$1200 on three fairway wood set 3,5,&7w only to realize they had massively closed face. Just sitting in the closet

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

> @marmaduk said:

> $1200 on three fairway wood set 3,5,&7w only to realize they had massively closed face. Just sitting in the closet

JDM?

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

A few months on the "Scotty Camerons must be better than my current putter" train... cost me about $1000, but eventually I got off that train.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @coreyhr said:

> My most expensive (and greatest) mistake was teaching myself how to do my own club work. The golf club world is your oyster at that point.

I keep trying to convince myself that I'm saving money, and that the work I do for my buddies (paid for in beer, leftover parts, a free round here or there) makes up for the multitude of heads, shafts, grips, and tools that are littering my garage.

I've avoided buying some of the pricier equipment (loft/lie bending machine) and stuck to working on grips, shafts, and swingweighting. The next step up in club building capability for me would be a very expensive step.

• Like 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I have to say I have had a lot of fun reading these stories and fortunately have never had one really expensive mistake that cost me out of pocket anywhere near some of the stories here. One purchase that really didn't work for me was a set of callaway irons I got one ebay that I used for a few rounds and realized they weren't for me. I ended up given them to a coworker who used them in a golf sculpture for his wife's Christmas gift. I also have a bad habit of buying putters that I hope will get in the rotation but never do. Eventually they end up in a Goodwill dumping trip - then I "rinse and repeat". The thing is you never know when you are going to find the magic wand- I one one of my city titles with a $10 putter including free shipping...

Edel SL irons very expensive and hated them. The 4-7 went the same distance for me...and the short irons and wedges went sky high. This was after a fitting in the Edel HQ. Sold them for $900 after paying $2,100 for them($1,960 before tax).

Not blaming Edel necessarily just wasn’t a fit for me...

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

Cobra F9 driver, really should’ve spent the extra $100 for an Epic Flash/M5/M6 and kept the LTD for backup. Now I’m back to mostly G400, picked up a used OG Epic that’s even better than the Cobra. At least the F9 fairways are awesome.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Long story short, got apex pro 19s this year, got rid of them for a silly reason, and now saving for another set.

Ping G430 LST 9*  Hzrdus smoke green PVD 60 6.5

Ping G430 LST 15* Ventus Blue 7x

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Atmos Black 7x 

Ping G425 Crossover Aldila Black 95TX

Srixon MkII Zx7 4-PW PX 6.5

Ping Glide 4.0 50,54,58

Edel Custom, Spider Armlock

Callaway CSXLS

One for sure and the other is unfolding now:

1. Purchased some P790s and just hated them... knew the whole time I should have stuck with my T-MBs... all that happened bc I was changing shafts and went insane

2. Titleist TS4... on a Trackman it gives me serious distance but on the course it just isn’t working

This wasn't a rash purchase. Back when Nike made golf clubs, the Nike Tour Van was trekking around the Midwest. I got selected for a tour van fitting at my club.

I was looking to replace my irons, so I scheduled an iron fitting. I showed up with an index card showing the model and shafting of all my golf clubs. The fitters set up their van, and I got a very thorough iron fitting. The fitter took baseline measurements for shots with my 5i and 7i, and then they had me hit shots with the Nike Vapor Speed and Pro Forged heads. Vapor Speed won out, and I several shots with four different shafts in the VS test club.

cbaa3t5vnwwb.png

The KBS Tour 105 R-flex gave the best numbers. I asked for a copy of my specs, and the fitter said he would store it in their records and e-mail me a copy. A few weeks later I decided to order. The clubs arrived, and I played a couple of rounds. Result 4i - 6i felt heavy, and had a severe distance falloff compared to shorter irons.

I did a quick measure, and it turns out the shafts were too long! The set had really long stock lengths, such as a 38.75" 5i. I needed slightly longer than golfdom 5i average - 38.25". The specs they took, however, evidently did not reflect the final fitting tweak of cutting Vapor Speed stock length by 1/2 inch. I played about eight rounds with them and went back to my Callaway X20 Tours.

I contacted Nike central, and they said I couldn't get a refund because it was a _custom set._ Not to play the sympathy card, but my mother died about the same time, and I was other-focused the rest of the year.

End solution - I sold the irons through WRX some 18 months later for $325, about 40% of what I paid for them. Of course, Nike was out of the hardware business by that time.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Elbow was hurting badly so reshaftet 4-LW with steelfiber 110. Actually thought I needed heavier for wedges so bought 125 for them but was wrong, felt terrible so then bought 110 for 3 wedges. Hated them so much, elbow got better and reshafted back to modus 120x which I pulled out. Don’t have a puller so I screwed up some of the tips on the steelfibers so now can’t sell them. That’s on me and yes I’m dumb lol. Since back to modus 120x playing way more this year and elbow is 100% fine. Totally unrelated to golf.

Stupid game.