2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Most expensive equipment mistake!

craz-e

> @mrp2wash said:

> That would be a brand new TS3 with 6.5 T1100 White 65g this past spring. I fell victim to the excitement of the new series and 'self fitted'. Never got comfortable at address with it and can't hit a fairway to save my life. Now it is collecting dust and I'm back to old reliable - a 910D2.

Back to a classic!

• Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

> @ChipNRun said:

> This wasn't a rash purchase. Back when Nike made golf clubs, the Nike Tour Van was trekking around the Midwest. I got selected for a tour van fitting at my club.

>

> I was looking to replace my irons, so I scheduled an iron fitting. I showed up with an index card showing the model and shafting of all my golf clubs. The fitters set up their van, and I got a very thorough iron fitting. The fitter took baseline measurements for shots with my 5i and 7i, and then they had me hit shots with the Nike Vapor Speed and Pro Forged heads. Vapor Speed won out, and I several shots with four different shafts in the VS test club.

>

> cbaa3t5vnwwb.png

>

> The KBS Tour 105 R-flex gave the best numbers. I asked for a copy of my specs, and the fitter said he would store it in their records and e-mail me a copy. A few weeks later I decided to order. The clubs arrived, and I played a couple of rounds. Result 4i - 6i felt heavy, and had a severe distance falloff compared to shorter irons.

>

> I did a quick measure, and it turns out the shafts were too long! The set had really long stock lengths, such as a 38.75" 5i. I needed slightly longer than golfdom 5i average - 38.25". The specs they took, however, evidently did not reflect the final fitting tweak of cutting Vapor Speed stock length by 1/2 inch. I played about eight rounds with them and went back to my Callaway X20 Tours.

>

> I contacted Nike central, and they said I couldn't get a refund because it was a _custom set._ Not to play the sympathy card, but my mother died about the same time, and I was other-focused the rest of the year.

>

> End solution - I sold the irons through WRX some 18 months later for $325, about 40% of what I paid for them. Of course, Nike was out of the hardware business by that time.

Could they not have been cut down instead of taking a bath on the resale?

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

My most expensive mistake is an on-going and inexplicable urge to buy Putters. It’s not even specific to a brand or shape. I try to offload the ones I don’t see myself ever gaming, but when I do, I end up with another one in my collection just as quick. It feels almost unconscious. I’m worried.

Of those, the most expensive was a beautiful boutique putter on which I worked closely with the maker. Aesthetically perfect, functionally disappointing, for me. If I could turn back time...

> @mrp2wash said:

> That would be a brand new TS3 with 6.5 T1100 White 65g this past spring. I fell victim to the excitement of the new series and 'self fitted'. Never got comfortable at address with it and can't hit a fairway to save my life. Now it is collecting dust and I'm back to old reliable - a 910D2.

Ha. Did the same thing except I got fitted for mine. Hit it great in the fitting, crap on the course. Went back to my 910D2 and put the TS3 in the closet. Then I felt like an idiot for not playing the TS3 after dropping all the coin so I swapped the shafts and put the TS3 back in the bag. After a couple weeks I put the T1100 back in the TS3 and I’ve been in love since. Long story short, don’t give up on the TS3 quite yet. If you’ve been playing the 910D2 since it came out, it may just take you a little while to get used to the change.

> @phatchrisrules said:

> Could they not have been cut down instead of taking a bath on the resale?

In a perfectly rational world, yes. But I was so soured on Nike by their snarky attitude I just wanted to dump them. And by time family matters were resolved, I basically lost interest.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Cool Clubs fitting for TS3 w Yellow Hazdrus......dropped $1150, hated it so i contacted Toll Bros and got a ATX Tour Green for $400 and it still sucks........Playing the M5

G430 LST 9°  Autoflex505x
SIM 15° RDX Blue 70TX

Cobra King Tec 19° hybrid RDX Black 9-6.5
Mizuno 245 Modus120x
Vokey SM6 50,55,60
Tank Cruiser #1

TaylorMade Spider Tour. Rolled one every time I went to a golf store, at least 10 separate times, and it was automatic on every putt. Finally decided to pull the trigger, went through a honeymoon phase and loved it for 2 months and sold my Huntington Beach #1 (which was my favorite). Then last 4 months, my putting has become my biggest letdown. Just can’t get comfortable standing over the ball and my last round, I missed at least 8 putts within 4 feet that I could’ve made with my eyes closed with my HB1. Ended up just ordering another HB1 on fleabay for $40 that’ll probably permanently replace the Spider. So $230 to find out I hate mallets. Luckily this has been the worst so far.

> @Geohans said:

> Joining Golfwrx 11 years ago.

?

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Spending $300 on a brand new Nike Vapor Speed driver. I remember testing it on the driving range after I bought it and I couldn't hit it as far as my old Titleist 975F 3 wood, lol. The sound and feel off the face was absolutely terrible. I subsequently sold it on ebay and bought a Taylormade M2 driver. I've always loved using Nike drivers, although this one was a major disappointment IMO. Possibly a counterfeit?

> @ian-500 said:

> > @marmaduk said:

> > $1200 on three fairway wood set 3,5,&7w only to realize they had massively closed face. Just sitting in the closet

>

> JDM?

Maruman Shuttle - I make you good price ;)

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

where to begin...

1. set of miura blades (lefty so kinda rare-ish) - paid $1000, hit them on the range once, sold them for $600

2. fitted for driver earlier this year, ended up being fit for cobra f9 with elements platinum shaft. ordered for ~$800, played with it for two months and had severe two way miss no matter what setting and configuration on the driver. this wasn't so bad but it has led to the irrational purchase of a ts4 and epic flash subzero (both of which i hit the same distance, if not longer, and more accurately than the cobra). haven't sold that driver yet, but can't imagine how painful that will be.

3. several years ago, got caught up in the sldr craze. bought the 430 model new, traded in for $90.

4. Same fitting as driver, got fitted for mizuno forged 919 with kbs flt shafts. total build was right at $2000. hit them fine but absolutely no better than my previous iron sets.

To make everything better, I'm going back to the same fitter this Saturday... :#

> @kbstockt1 said:

> where to begin...

> 1. set of miura blades (lefty so kinda rare-ish) - paid $1000, hit them on the range once, sold them for $600

> 2. fitted for driver earlier this year, ended up being fit for cobra f9 with elements platinum shaft. ordered for ~$800, played with it for two months and had severe two way miss no matter what setting and configuration on the driver. this wasn't so bad but it has led to the irrational purchase of a ts4 and epic flash subzero (both of which i hit the same distance, if not longer, and more accurately than the cobra). haven't sold that driver yet, but can't imagine how painful that will be.

> 3. several years ago, got caught up in the sldr craze. bought the 430 model new, traded in for $90.

> 4. Same fitting as driver, got fitted for mizuno forged 919 with kbs flt shafts. total build was right at $2000. hit them fine but absolutely no better than my previous iron sets.

> To make everything better, I'm going back to the same fitter this Saturday... :#

Feel the same about f9 right now, some of the longest drives of my life but brought the left side into play for the first time in my life. Very hooky right now

LTDx 9* AD-VR6x 

Cleveland Launcher Xl Halo 15*

Rad Speed 19* Hybrid

ZX5 MKII 5-AW

CBX 2 54*

TM Big Foot 58*

Odyssey Versa 3 T

Chrome Soft X-LS