Anyone else ditching fairway woods for low lofted hybrids

> @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> More and more, I find myself casting aside my 3-wood in favor of my 16-degree hybrid. I'm more comfortable hitting it off the deck and off the tee, and only seem to lose about 10 yards of distance compared to the 3-wood (assuming I strike the 3-wood perfectly). More often than not, I have a slight mishit on the 3-wood and end up short and or offline from where I would have otherwise been with the 16-degree hybrid. I've tried out a number of new fairway woods and haven't yet found anything that has "WOWed" me. With hybrid clubs getting better and better, I'm not seeing much of a downside......I'd be interested to know if anyone else is approaching their long game this way.

Tried that many moons ago.

Even switched the 3 wood to a 1 hybrid. Now the 1 & 2 hybrid heads are sitting in the garage.

Low lofted hybrids , though easier to use than the counter part of irons, still needs more swing speed to get the proper trajectory. I'm back to the fairway woods and added several 4 woods and 5 woods, after I passed the 60 mark.

3 & 4 hygrids are still friendly at this moment, so they're in the bag still.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of my highlights from last round. 614 yard par 5. Driver off the tee to the middle of the fairway. Lands in a shallow divot. 16* hybrid to the front of the green. Little chip up. Bird

For quite a while my top-of-bag setup was a 10.5 driver (set to 12 degrees) then an 18-degree 5-Wood and then a 23-degree 4-Hybrid.   In my most recent equipment "replacement cycle" (rhymes with "ho"

Nope. Woods are way better for me.

> @gioguy21 said:

> i'm currently on the fence about whether to keep my 3w in the bag or just use my epic 3i w/ hybrid shaft; b/c they're close in terms of distance, and the driving iron is much more consistent and goes straight as an arrow. the 3w has the extra distance but, it is more workable and sometimes that is good - others it can be bad.

No matter how many cool 3-wood builds we make. Some are absolute magic on the range. But diminished course performance & lack of need for a fairway wood all together has made 3w a difficult spot to figure out. I didn't hit a single 3w off turf on course this season either.

Im straighter with driver & 2-iron. With the ability to make these nuclear driving iron setups - they get nearly up to fairway wood distances and feel far more point n shoot.

Reconsidering that spot in the bag. I think the leave it unfilled, rely on driving iron & add wedge route would be the most consistent option.

> @ChipNRun said:

> I haven't, but I've seen it in other bags.

>

> Our course sometimes hosts the area Players Ability Test for PGA certification. A couple of years ago I played with a young club pro who was practicing for his PAT.

>

> He carried a driver, 2H and 4H as his long clubs. On our two shorter par 5s (511 and 519 yds.), he had the distance to put his 2H and 4H shots on the greenside fringe. (These are both uphill approach shots).

>

> With the 2H he could hit anything from a stinger to a high cut. He said hybrids were easier to flight than FWs, and he didn't lost that much distance from hybrids only.

I have driver cranked up to 14* then 3H 19* and 5H 25* and don't miss fairway woods at all. For me, this combination is much more accurate.

No

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

> @BearQ said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > i'm currently on the fence about whether to keep my 3w in the bag or just use my epic 3i w/ hybrid shaft; b/c they're close in terms of distance, and the driving iron is much more consistent and goes straight as an arrow. the 3w has the extra distance but, it is more workable and sometimes that is good - others it can be bad.

>

> No matter how many cool 3-wood builds we make. Some are absolute magic on the range. But diminished course performance & lack of need for a fairway wood all together has made 3w a difficult spot to figure out. I didn't hit a single 3w off turf on course this season either.

>

> Im straighter with driver & 2-iron. With the ability to make these nuclear driving iron setups - they get nearly up to fairway wood distances and feel far more point n shoot.

>

> Reconsidering that spot in the bag. I think the leave it unfilled, rely on driving iron & add wedge route would be the most consistent option.

>

>

>

The more I hit the driving iron, the less relevant a 3w is to even have in the bag. The iron is straighter, more dependable and the dispersion is better. Besides, if I'm 275+ out on a par 5, I might be better off just laying up to a smooth wedge anyhow. And forget tight par 4s - the iron is point and shoot compared to the 3w (on average that is).

SiM2 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

SiM / Rocket 3w (set 1 tick higher loft) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 2.5"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

> @bigred90gt said:

> ...

...go on?

SiM2 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

SiM / Rocket 3w (set 1 tick higher loft) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 2.5"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @BearQ said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > i'm currently on the fence about whether to keep my 3w in the bag or just use my epic 3i w/ hybrid shaft; b/c they're close in terms of distance, and the driving iron is much more consistent and goes straight as an arrow. the 3w has the extra distance but, it is more workable and sometimes that is good - others it can be bad.

> >

> > No matter how many cool 3-wood builds we make. Some are absolute magic on the range. But diminished course performance & lack of need for a fairway wood all together has made 3w a difficult spot to figure out. I didn't hit a single 3w off turf on course this season either.

> >

> > Im straighter with driver & 2-iron. With the ability to make these nuclear driving iron setups - they get nearly up to fairway wood distances and feel far more point n shoot.

> >

> > Reconsidering that spot in the bag. I think the leave it unfilled, rely on driving iron & add wedge route would be the most consistent option.

> >

> >

> >

>

> The more I hit the driving iron, the less relevant a 3w is to even have in the bag. The iron is straighter, more dependable and the dispersion is better. Besides, if I'm 275+ out on a par 5, I might be better off just laying up to a smooth wedge anyhow. And forget tight par 4s - the iron is point and shoot compared to the 3w (on average that is).

This has been my experience, too. Driving irons are hella straight, almost to the point where it's too straight? For example, few courses I play have moderate length par 4's with severe dog legs guarded by a tree on the corner. It's super clutch if you can hit a 3w/5w either so high that you can just straight up carry the tree in the air, or hit a little lower flight but work the ball so you cut the corner a bit. Also, because the fairway runs out abruptly, I always worry about hitting the ball a groove or two low and I suddenly hit a missile stinger that carries 200 but rolls out to 240, when the straight line shot only needed a 220 yard ball.

Guess this just means I need to pick my clubs wisely per each course. However, seeing as I just play for funsies, I don't care and I'll carry 15 or 16 clubs YOLOOOOO.

Taylormade SIM Max 9* @9.75*- Ventus Black 6x

Taylormade Sim Ti @16.5* - Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x (Testing Cobra F9 w/ Accra FX2.0 380 M5)

SIM Max 19* - HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 90 6.5 (trialing Cobra Speedzone w/ Fujikura Pro 95X & Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x)

Titleist 818H1 - Ventus Blue 10x

Cobra Forged Tec Black 6i, Forged CB 6-GW - AMT X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 54.12D, 58.8M @59* - S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Compass Golf Co. Atwood (Newport 2 Timeless Tri sole clone)

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @bigred90gt said:

> > ...

>

> ...go on?

lol, I posted something, then re-read it and it didnt make a ton of sense, and since there isnt a delete button, I just removed it as best I can.

The long and short of it was for some strange reason I've always hit my 3w better than long irons. I've tried an older driving iron (Mizzy MP FliHi) but even still, none such luck. I can hit a fairway with a long iron usually, but I'm far more accurate and predictable with my 3w.

• Like 1

I play both. I recently got comfortable hitting my 3w off the fairway and because of its shape, a little more confidently than my next lofted hybrid in certain situations.

Callaway Epic Max 9* Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Callaway Epic Speed 16.5* 4W Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 21* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 24* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING Forged Tec 6-PW $-Taper Lite
Cleveland CBX2 48* KBS C-Taper
Cleveland CBX2 54* KBS C-Taper
TaylorMade MGS TW Edition 60* KBS C-Taper
Scotty Cameron 2020 Special Select Newport
TaylorMade TP5 ball

Yup. Made the switches this season. I took my 3W out and replaced it with a Cobra F8+ 4/5w club set at 16.5*, more upright and shorter shaft, i nut this thing a lot further and more consistent than any 3W I've ever owned. Replaced the 2KNV shaft with a Tour AD MT and I'm blistering the ball from any type of lie (hindsight, the 2KNV shaft had a higher launch, but the tip stiff MT is all business on mis-hits). I also bought an F7 Cobra 3/4 hybrid (Elevate tour steel shaft) that I set to 20* that carries a high solid 210, and a newer Callaway Epic BB 2H (16*) that I'm still looking to hit (the recoil shaft felt good, but have an IZ shaft I'm looking to compare it too).

Odd to say but in my 20 yrs of golf I've never felt so confident attacking greens with carry up to 260 out.

> @mizunoMX25 said:

> I find I can hit a 5 wood higher more easily than a 19* hybrid. I'm a low ball hitter anyway so I need all the help I can get and even I've considered trying the hybrid because they seem to go straighter more often.

May I recommend trying one of the Elevate steel shafts in your 19*. I added it to my F7 3/4 hybrid to give it a try (and for a heavier shaft), and was shocked, and pleasantly surprised, at how HIGH the trajectory was. I'm hitting moon balls from 210 with it rather easily. Of course sky high isn't always great, but if you want higher traj, I'm not sure you'll beat this shaft while still maintaining the weight and feel.

I considered the 120 S300 Elevates for my irons. May have to buy one and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Titleist TSI3 10* GD AD IZ 6S
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD AD IZ 7S

Ping G425 Max 20.5 Tensei AV Raw Orange 75S
Titleist TS2 23* GD AD IZ 85S

Titleist TS2 26* GD AD IZ 85S

Titleist T100S 6-PW Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50* Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 Raw 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
Scotty Cameron T22 Newport Stability Shaft Tour

Last year.....now only have driver & 3 wood. Two iron thru PW, 52, & 58. My accuracy for shots over 180 yards increased dramatically. Average scoring dropped 4-6 strokes. This year has not been so kind, but it is not due to the change in setup. With work my golfing has been very limited this year. However I did experiment and was by far worse with using the hybrids. The main thing I can give credit to the long irons this year is that I am not in the trouble that I used to get into. The miss-hits with the irons leave me in much better shape to recover from. This season most of my problems are from the simple things.....looking up....not having shoulders square at impact....body getting ahead of the club.

Yep, no fairways for me too. Hybrid and DI's for now.......

DR: Taylormade M5 9.75* + Diamana R50x @ 47 3/4".

FW: Taylormade R9 Ti 16.5* + Diamana R80s.
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22* + White Tie HX4.
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Cleveland RTX3 52*/58* + Modus 130.
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

> @bulls9999 said:

> Yes, I've put my 3-wood away, and my 5-wood is my 'go to fairway', although I am loving my 7-wood (Callaway rogue) as it goes high and comes down soft.

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > For quite a while my top-of-bag setup was a 10.5 driver (set to 12 degrees) then an 18-degree 5-Wood and then a 23-degree 4-Hybrid.

> >

> > In my most recent equipment "replacement cycle" (rhymes with "ho") I'm using driver then 18 and 23 degree hybrids. I'm not sure I'm giving up any distance at all on average with the 41" hybrid vs. 42-1/2" 5-Wood and I am certainly gaining consistency and straightness. The trajectory is lower with the hybrid but it isn't like I was stopping 5-Wood shots on a dime either.

> >

> > Net benefit isn't huge but it's been a worthwhile change. Plus my 18 and 23 degree hybrids are the same model with the same shaft so that's twice as many shots per round with near-identical clubs, helping me even more with consistency and confidence.

>

>

I’ve kind of done the same thing with a 7 wood but I got rid of the hybrids completely no more hooks for me

Swapped out a 5 wood almost 2 years ago for a 17 degree hybrid and been very happy with the choice, also earlier this year took out the 3wood and put in a #2 16 degree hybrid lofted down to 14 and it's been the right decision for me, goes longer and lower and the mishits aren't as punishing, and for the most part a duffed shot still goes pretty straight and ok distance, it's been a win win. Fair to say I have had a couple of hybrids that didn't work for me but these two I have now seem to suit.

I've been thinking the same thing for awhile. I did have 3w, 3h, 4i. I rarely used the 3w, typically just hit the hybrid, it doesn't go as far, but I would feel a lot more comfortable with the hybrid. I recently stuck in a 3i bridgestone j33 airmuscle to fill a gap I had between the 4i and the 3h. I don't play a whole lot, but so far its been working pretty well.

> @BearQ said:

> Im straighter with driver & 2-iron. With the ability to make these nuclear driving iron setups - they get nearly up to fairway wood distances and feel far more point n shoot.

>

> Reconsidering that spot in the bag. I think the leave it unfilled, rely on driving iron & add wedge route would be the most consistent option.

>

Same here. I ditched my woods for a 2 and 3-iron about 4 years ago. On dry days the 2-iron runs for a mile! It's perfect for tight fairways, and shorter par 4's.

The only downside is I don't fully trust the 2-iron for anything other than off the tee. I've had mixed success trying to get it up in the air with no tee under it to prop it up a little.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

Its like you're reading my mind with these posts. I spent yesterday absolutely bombing the new P790 UDI 2iron at the range, and it got me thinking why I need a 3 wood after that, as I would be much more confident from the fairway and on tight par 4s with a 2 iron. So my thought is why not just replace the 3 wood with the 2iron, then keep my 21 degree hybrid for the thick stuff and booting out of the rough. My gapping would be consistent if I'm driving the ball 275, then 250 with the 2iron, and 225 with the hybrid.

• Like 1