Anyone else ditching fairway woods for low lofted hybrids

PappyVanWinkle53

> @bulldog48377 said:

> I have been reading many articles here but this is my first time commenting.

>

> I have the same concern. I carry a 0 handicapped and played in college in the early 90’s, but I have always struggle with a 3 wood off the grass. I only use 3W once or twice per round and a ball has to be sitting up Perfectly for me to hit it.

>

> I am thinking of getting either a Ping G410 5W (17.5) or G410 2H (17). The carry distance of G410 5W is 230 yds and G410 2His about 220.

>

> I think I could hit the Ping G410 2H more consistently and even when a ball is sitting down.

>

> What do you guys think? All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Exactly the situation I am in. I hit them both a bit farther then you but still having the same question.

I am thinking g410 5w cranked down a a opened up as well. Most of the use is off the tee. rare that I need it into a green. If it is that far to the green I am better off laying up.

Seem to hit the hybrid really well. But miss the 3/4 wood. Easier for me to work a draw into a hole with the 3w then the driver.

Going to get me one to test over the winter then will sell the one that does not make the cut i think

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

> @bulldog48377 said:

> I have been reading many articles here but this is my first time commenting.

>

> I have the same concern. I carry a 0 handicapped and played in college in the early 90’s, but I have always struggle with a 3 wood off the grass. I only use 3W once or twice per round and a ball has to be sitting up Perfectly for me to hit it.

>

> I am thinking of getting either a Ping G410 5W (17.5) or G410 2H (17). The carry distance of G410 5W is 230 yds and G410 2His about 220.

>

> I think I could hit the Ping G410 2H more consistently and even when a ball is sitting down.

>

> What do you guys think? All opinions are greatly appreciated.

I took 3W out and put in a g25 17 degree hybrid. Easy to hit from tee and fairway and very accurate. For me much more than my 3 wood. The 17 hybrid is easy to hit from any lie.

• Like 1

I play a 12 degree driver, a 17 degree 4 wood & a 21 degree 7 wood and a 25 degree 5 hybrid. As the rough gets longer, I switch out my 4 wood with a 19 degree 3 hybrid. I have 5 hybrids that are between 19 and 22 degrees and none of those can replace my 7 wood. The 7 wood is an amazing club. I hit it very consistently and most times I hit it further than my 4 wood. I'm seriously thinking of leaving the 3 hybrid in the bag because I hit that more consistent than the 4 wood also. The 7 wood stays in the bag. It's a great club.

• Like 1

FWIW in my experience, tinkering with hybrids (~$75) on the secondary market has been much more cost effective than fairway woods (~$150+.) I am all for club fitting, but it's tough for me to pony up $225+ for a club I might hit a handful of times during a round. I have had awesome luck at secondhand stores and on ebay with late model hybrids that has allowed me to experiment and in turn gain confidence in the club.

• Like 1

I used to do this, had some of the old Idea Pro 14* Rickie Fowler heads. It was fun but I think there is a lot more to be said about a well struck 3 wood for me. It goes farther and straighter than those ever did. I've actually got a Fw/Hybrid club in the Baffler I'm using, but I tend to treat it more like a FW and its just awesome. Anyone looking to possibly just go the hybrid route, I'd recommend trying one of these, it is just an awesome club.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I prefer hybrids over fairway woods!

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* as 10* HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 S

Taylormade BRNR  UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - Gap  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 54*/10  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 61* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

I kicked my 3W out of my bag a few years ago with a 816H2 cranked down, but eventually went back to 15* 3W and then 19 and 21* hybrids. 3W is now mostly off the tee on tight/short holes on my home course and hybrids from the fairway.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

> @evilelf said:

> The biggest factor in making the decision for me (and may help you) is your angle of attack. ** I like to hit down on every ball, even slightly with my driver; thus, my 8*. ** I am just so comfortable with that attack. Even though I continue to work on shallowing that out, I still gravitate towards it and it feels comfortable. For me to flush a 3 wood, I have to come in fairly shallow, which is not in my comfort zone. When I do, I bomb it, but when I don't, I would rather have just hit my hybrid. TLDR: If you tend to get a little too steep, IMHO, go with the hybrid.

I am curious about this comment. Wouldn’t that mean you would want more loft on your driver?

> @erikro said:

> > @evilelf said:

> > The biggest factor in making the decision for me (and may help you) is your angle of attack. ** I like to hit down on every ball, even slightly with my driver; thus, my 8*. ** I am just so comfortable with that attack. Even though I continue to work on shallowing that out, I still gravitate towards it and it feels comfortable. For me to flush a 3 wood, I have to come in fairly shallow, which is not in my comfort zone. When I do, I bomb it, but when I don't, I would rather have just hit my hybrid. TLDR: If you tend to get a little too steep, IMHO, go with the hybrid.

>

>

> I am curious about this comment. Wouldn’t that mean you would want more loft on your driver?

>

>

>

>

I used to play a 10.5* but as I got better, my drives would just balloon so high and land at 200 with no roll. An instructor told me to get my launch numbers and get back to him. He told me that pro's try to get their backspin RPM down below 1000, but amateurs can get by under 3000. My numbers were between 6000 and 9000 causing even well hit balls to climb way to high. He literally laughed when I told him the numbers I was seeing. He explained that I could experiment with shafts to lower the spin, thus trajectory, but that is an expensive venture. The quick fix was to get a lower lofted driver to lower the backspin. It was an easy 30/40 yard fix for me.

I also suspect that those Taylormade 10.5* drivers I was using back then were actually more like 12*. At some point, getting fit for a driver is something I need to do, but for that last ten years, it has allowed to be play decently off the tee.

> @evilelf said:

> > @erikro said:

> > > @evilelf said:

> > > The biggest factor in making the decision for me (and may help you) is your angle of attack. ** I like to hit down on every ball, even slightly with my driver; thus, my 8*. ** I am just so comfortable with that attack. Even though I continue to work on shallowing that out, I still gravitate towards it and it feels comfortable. For me to flush a 3 wood, I have to come in fairly shallow, which is not in my comfort zone. When I do, I bomb it, but when I don't, I would rather have just hit my hybrid. TLDR: If you tend to get a little too steep, IMHO, go with the hybrid.

> >

> >

> > I am curious about this comment. Wouldn’t that mean you would want more loft on your driver?

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> I used to play a 10.5* but as I got better, my drives would just balloon so high and land at 200 with no roll. An instructor told me to get my launch numbers and get back to him. He told me that pro's try to get their backspin RPM down below 1000, but amateurs can get by under 3000. My numbers were between 6000 and 9000 causing even well hit balls to climb way to high. He literally laughed when I told him the numbers I was seeing. He explained that I could experiment with shafts to lower the spin, thus trajectory, but that is an expensive venture. The quick fix was to get a lower lofted driver to lower the backspin. It was an easy 30/40 yard fix for me.

>

> I also suspect that those Taylormade 10.5* drivers I was using back then were actually more like 12*. At some point, getting fit for a driver is something I need to do, but for that last ten years, it has allowed to be play decently off the tee.

Thank you

I recently challenged my trusty fairway Cobra KING F6 Baffler 16º (loft checked) with a Callaway BB OS hybrid with also a verified loft of 16º. The shafts are very similar with a Proforce V2 66S in the fairway and a Proforce VTS 75S in the hybrid. Length difference is just 1/2” shorter for the hybrid (the baffler was only 41.5”).

I started testing both at the upper floor of the range to visualize the landing spot of each hit and then playing with both in those holes of my home course where I normally use the fairway. Here is what I found:

At the range:

- Fairway flight was a bit higher but only when I hit the hybrid in a sweeping motion. If I got a bit closer and went for a ball then ground contact, height was very similar.

- To my surprise, carry was the same... but with clearly more roll of the hybrid.

- Finally, I was able to hit both clubs pretty straight.

On the course:

- Fairway was definitively higher than the hybrid

- Total distance was pretty similar maybe 5-10 yards longer with the fairway (I could not compare landing spots)

- The hybrid was deadly straight both from the tee and off the ground and the fairway wasn’t as precise... by far.

The 16º hybrid is now in the bag but I will keep the fairway wood in the basement just in case...:-)

Have a great game.

Ping G430 MAX 10.5º. GD Tour AD IZ 6S

PXG 0311 XF GEN6 #4 & #7. UST Proforce V2 6F4

Maltby KE4 Tour RS 22º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TE+ Forged 25º ~ 45º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TSW Forged 50º, 55º & 60º. FST Pro 115S

EVNROLL ER5 CS Hatchback

I can't wait to try out these new Callaway hybrids......could be an incredible addition.....but at $320 apiece, that might be tough to pull off....

http://www.golfwrx.com/578370/callaway-golf-launches-new-titanium-jailbreak-powered-super-hybrid/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Top&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=main

> @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> I can't wait to try out these new Callaway hybrids......could be an incredible addition.....but at $320 apiece, that might be tough to pull off....

>

> http://www.golfwrx.com/578370/callaway-golf-launches-new-titanium-jailbreak-powered-super-hybrid/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Top&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=main

Got mine for 30

11zm8ctcmmvs.jpg

> @"Phil_I_am 84" said:

> > @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > I can't wait to try out these new Callaway hybrids......could be an incredible addition.....but at $320 apiece, that might be tough to pull off....

> >

> > http://www.golfwrx.com/578370/callaway-golf-launches-new-titanium-jailbreak-powered-super-hybrid/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Top&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=main

>

>

> Got mine for 30

>

> 11zm8ctcmmvs.jpg

>

>

Yup, my buddy (a lefty) plays one of these as his fairway wood....I believe at 17* if I remember correctly.

As for me, I've waffled with this over the years, going from hybrid to wood over similar lofts, but i have to say that adjustable loft/face angles have helped tremendously, and I've recently again moved towards fairway woods due to this. The ability to crank the wood open has been a game changer. I currently game a Titleist 913F 5-wood over my old reliable TNT hybrid (had it forever) at the same loft. Distances are similar, but the Fairway wood, for me, I just get that added few feet of height, and a little better playability out of the rough. Since i'm not trying to max out distance at this gap, and looking towards a more specific yardage in mind, I've been leaning towards the 5W recently.

TaylorMade M4 (9.5*) -- w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+60 (X-stiff)
TaylorMade M1 3HL (17*) -- w/ UST Mamiya Proforce V2 7F4 (stiff)
Titleist 913F (19*) - Mitsubishi Diamana BB S+ 72 (stiff)
TaylorMade Tour Preferred (4-PW) -- w/ TT Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey SM6 M Grind (54*) 
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind (60*)
Odyssey Stroke Lab - One - w/ Super Stroke Flatso 2.0

> @hdgolf44 said:

> > @"Phil_I_am 84" said:

> > > @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > > I can't wait to try out these new Callaway hybrids......could be an incredible addition.....but at $320 apiece, that might be tough to pull off....

> > >

> > > http://www.golfwrx.com/578370/callaway-golf-launches-new-titanium-jailbreak-powered-super-hybrid/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Top&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=main

> >

> >

> > Got mine for 30

> >

> > 11zm8ctcmmvs.jpg

> >

> >

>

> Yup, my buddy (a lefty) plays one of these as his fairway wood....I believe at 17* if I remember correctly.

>

> As for me, I've waffled with this over the years, going from hybrid to wood over similar lofts, but i have to say that adjustable loft/face angles have helped tremendously, and I've recently again moved towards fairway woods due to this. The ability to crank the wood open has been a game changer. I currently game a Titleist 913F 5-wood over my old reliable TNT hybrid (had it forever) at the same loft. Distances are similar, but the Fairway wood, for me, I just get that added few feet of height, and a little better playability out of the rough. Since i'm not trying to max out distance at this gap, and looking towards a more specific yardage in mind, I've been leaning towards the 5W recently.

I hear ya. For me, I am more consistent and confident with the hybrid. I hit it well off the tee and deck, and I trust the flight.

I made a great decision this season, and that was buying a TM M4 5HL. Cause I used to love my 5 wood as a junior/younger player, but the last 10 years Ive been struggle to find an equivalent club, a trusty. But the extra 2-3 degrees of loft has made it the most consistent longer club in my bag. I can hit it between 200-230 depending on what I need. On many holes thats enough. The bigger head gives even more confidence than a hybrid. My home course is quite long, over 7000, so I also game a 3HL, tipped 1 inch for stability and its goes 250-260. The M4 fairway woods are seen in many tour pros bags, especially those without a contract, long and just wanna go straight. I also use a 23 degree 4 iron, the new Ping Crossover, that is almost like a hybrid. Its really easy to hit, and more forgiving than a normal iron. Its a true crossover, brings out the best from the iron and the hybrid.

• Like 1

> @Kale_m said:

> > @wickwoss said:

> > I tried quite a few hybrids in the 17-19 degree range, but seem to always fight hooks with them. Higher lofted hybrids I dont have that issue. I love the look of hybrids, but am more consistent with fairway woods.

>

> G410 hybrid. No hooks

This is 100% true. Tried someones G410 hybrid and I couldn't even hit it straight (kept hitting a fade). Watched him play multiple rounds with it and I think it is actually too fade biased. I gave him my TS2 hybrid and he hit a 3 yard draw effortlessly.

Not bashing the G410 hybrid at all, just surprised at how fade biased it was. For guys who fight a hook with a hybrid get yourself a 410!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

> @shannonk said:

> I play a 12 degree driver, a 17 degree 4 wood & a 21 degree 7 wood and a 25 degree 5 hybrid. As the rough gets longer, I switch out my 4 wood with a 19 degree 3 hybrid. I have 5 hybrids that are between 19 and 22 degrees and none of those can replace my 7 wood. The 7 wood is an amazing club. I hit it very consistently and most times I hit it further than my 4 wood. I'm seriously thinking of leaving the 3 hybrid in the bag because I hit that more consistent than the 4 wood also. The 7 wood stays in the bag. It's a great club.

The 7 wood is a game changer for me as well. Can hit it high into the greens as well as steady as a rock on shorter par 4s and 5s or longer par 3s. Also use a 12 degree driver. Loft is your friend!! :-)

I think many of the 3 woods have too big heads, its hard to get down on the ball enough to get a good strike. I also noticed that they get like 40% easier to hit with a shaft at 42 inch instead of 43-43.5. BUT the issue isnt 3 wood or hybrid, cause 3 wood is a driver replacement. Hybrids are more replacement for 4,5,7 woods.

> @Kale_m said:

> Doing this as we speak

>

> My options are

>

> Driver, 3hy turned to 17.5 , then 4 iron . Add in a 64 wedge

>

> Or

>

> Driver, 2hy down to 15.5, 3 hy up to 20.5, 4 iron. Then leave the wedge setup as is

>

> Thinking it is going to be option 2

If you use a Hi toe 60 I doubt you will find a lot of use for the 64 degree. The hi toe is so easy to open up! And btw, can you tell us once again, as you do in every post, how far you hit the ball hahaha ;-)

I'm the other way and have ditched hybrids. I will say I've had some decent hybrid performers over the years, Sonartec MD and HB001, Adams Idea Pro, 9031, Pro and Mini plus Callaway X2 Hot Pro, 815 and Apex...but too many hooks and overall poor distance control, apart from the original Idea Pro, so they've all gone now.

Whatever works.

I have used low lofted hybrids for a couple of years now. I can hit a 16 degree Hybrid further off the deck than a 3 wood and only lose a few yards off the tee. I just purchased the Callaway Super and will set it to 16. The thing is crazy long and expensive. I love the other two Ping 410 hybrids and they aren’t going anywhere. I want to be able to hit the fairway woods consistently, I just can’t make it happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Taylormade 16 degree Rescue (hybrid) for my off the fairway hits and it seems to work well for me. It has a UST Mamiya Gold 65 shaft stiff and is 42" long. Golf Pride MCC grip completes the club. I also carry an Adams A12 hybrid 18 degree with a UST Mamiya V2 hybrid shaft stiff with a Golf Pride MCC grip. When I started playing golf I had both a 3 and 5 fairway wood but I like the hybrids better. For off the turf hits they seem to work well and have more consistent shots.

• 10 months later...

sorry for revival of old topic

I find myself thinking along these lines

Currently, I've been playing driver, 4 wood (tee only club) and then 22 and 25 hybrids.

I carry the 4 hybrid 200 yards.

Driver probably 250-260

4 wood 230-240

max shot distance off the deck is with the 22* hybrid (4H), so I am limited.

I can't hit the deep faced fairway wood off the deck, and don't like shallow faced fairways

I like my 19* hybrid, but I think I want a little more distance out of a club that I may want to use for some tee shots.

So, I am going to play around with hybrids in the 18* range, maybe 17 and 16 too.

I'm thinking 17 or 18 will be the sweet spot.

THanks for listening.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x