Hey team,

I just won this project set on ebay for $.99 ($20 shipping, go figure). Anyone have thoughts on the ferrules? I don't have them yet but I am hoping that is just adhesive residue from tape, in which case a simple “goof off” treatment will work- could it be something else, and if so, how should I fix?

Thanks!!

rwindu7tmrl4.jpeg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

0000 steel wool with a solvent. Then re-acetone them. These could have been exposed to some serious water for a while. I would pop off a grip and check the shafts for excess rust.

That looks like dirt to me. Just a damp cloth should clean them up.

If you need, you can freshen up with a light rub of acetone on a rag.

Ping G410+ 9/Accra FX270
Ping Rapture 2014/Accra FX370
Ping G SFT 3&5/Accra DyMatch 2.0 MTF
Srixon z565 4 & z765 5-P/Accra iCWT 95
Ping Glide Stealth 50SS & 54ES/Accra Tour 100i
Evnroll ER2B

I think that might be some sort of mold that gets on plastic. There were a bunch of tools in my basement that were my wife's grandfather's from a long time ago that had that stuff on them. I cleaned them up with some isopropyl alcohol and it worked like a charm.

Bag 1                                                                                        Bag 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° UST Attas 4U 6TS 44"                      PING G25 10.5° Graphite Design 2419S Prototype

Taylormade SLDR Mini 14° NV 2KXV Green 75X 42"           PING G25 3 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss75 S

Callaway V Series 5 Wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S 41.5"           PING G25 5 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss85 S

Callaway Rogue 7 Wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S 41"                 PING G25 23° Hybrid KBS Tour V 110

Callaway Rogue 24° Hybrid Tour AD DI 95X                        PING G25 Irons 5-UW KBS Tour V 120

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 6-GW AMT Tour White s300   PING Glide 54° SS and 58° TS KBS 610 125

Mizuno T20 54° and 60° DG TI s400                                   PING Sigma Tyne H

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

0000 steel wool with a solvent. Then re-acetone them.

These could have been exposed to some serious water for a while. I would pop off a grip and check the shafts for excess rust.

• Like 2

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I would soap, water, soft plastic brush them...maybe goo gone...some car paste wax...all before any acetone. I would want to keep the serial # on them.

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

I'd use polishing compound (or even toothpaste) on a piece of soft cloth and "shoe shine" them.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

> @weavej1 said:

> I would soap, water, soft plastic brush them...maybe goo gone...some car paste wax...all before any acetone. I would want to keep the serial # on them.

> @Nessism said:

> I'd use polishing compound (or even toothpaste) on a piece of soft cloth and "shoe shine" them.

I like the “start soft, get more aggressive until it works” approach. Goo-gone = goof-off essentially as well. Thanks for the ideas all, just waiting for the sticks to arrive now.

So, the set came today. It is still inconclusive as to what exactly is the junk on the ferrules, but it is coming off with a fingernail scratch. I think I may have hit the “dirty clubs” bias eBay lottery on this one for $.99, even with shipping. Here is a side-by-side before and after:

1u9w25tgph7f.jpeg

The problem I am looking at now is that the ferrules are creeping ever so slightly on the shafts, leaving a hairline gap on some. Any suggestions on fixing this?

Hoping to hit Home Depot for some polishing wheels tomorrow as well.

Thanks!

> @ProfessorDave said:

> If the ferrules are loose, they could creep up the shaft. But in my experience, it’s usually the head that is coming loose, causing the separation from the ferrule. I’d consider pulling the heads and reinstalling with new ferrules.

What? Heads dont creep off. If you cant twist the head with your hands then its the ferrule. Run the ferrules under hot tap water and slide them back down. You can add a dab of superglue or epoxy in between to keep them in place.

• G410 LST 9* - Diamana D+ Limited 70TX
  • TM SIM Ti 14.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • TM M5 Ti 18.25* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X
  • Adams Idea Pro Tour Prototype 23* - KBS Proto Hybrid 85X
  • Adams CMB/MB2 5-Pw - PX LZ 6.5 
  • Wilson FG Tour V4 50* - PX LZ 6.5 
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • Cobra Tour Raw 60.08V - DG TI Onyx S400
  • Odyssey Rossie WHP
  • Bridgestone Tour B XS

> @SpaldingBear2PW said:

> So, the set came today. It is still inconclusive as to what exactly is the junk on the ferrules, but it is coming off with a fingernail scratch. I think I may have hit the “dirty clubs” bias eBay lottery on this one for $.99, even with shipping. Here is a side-by-side before and after:

> 1u9w25tgph7f.jpeg

>

> The problem I am looking at now is that the ferrules are creeping ever so slightly on the shafts, leaving a hairline gap on some. Any suggestions on fixing this?

> Hoping to hit Home Depot for some polishing wheels tomorrow as well.

> Thanks!

See the "grungy" ferrules thing frequently on classic irons. The milky white residue. Don't have any idea why it occurs. Example were the ferrules on a set of Mac M85 Colokroms reissues I had. Cleaned them up with acetone and in a short time, the residue would begin to reappear. And I never played the clubs, they resided in the basement next to the workbench. Finally did what what Nessism suggested, used rubbing compound. Then a coat of automotive paste wax. The condition did not reappear after a couple of months, when I sold them off.

Creeping ferrules are also seen with regularity on older irons like your Staffs. They begin to separate from the top of the hosel, a small gap to a more pronounced separation. Never, ever seen a head coming loose. Easy fix that's been suggested in part. I use a pot of boiling water (taken off the heat source). Submerse the head/ ferrule for ten seconds. Softens the plastic, making it pliable. Then using a piece of old rubber grip, slit to go around the ferrule, slide it back into position. Let cool, then acetone to finish. You'll have to move them up some to add a dab of superglue before sliding back tight to the hosel. I don't bother unless it moves a second time.

Conversely, this process will work for saving vintage ferrules. Heat them up and slide them up the shaft as far as I can. Ideally, at least one inch. Then wrap with a strip of wet cloth. Heat the hosel and remove the shaft as one normally would. The ferrule is preserved, sliding it off the shaft tip. Persuaded with a big of heat from a heat gun set on low.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs