Just swing out to the right and close the face?!?!

Just went for a 2nd driver3/wood lesson in the past few weeks yesterday and feeling a little frustrated. Both have been that same swing thought and it just doesn’t seem to be making a difference. I feel like it’s something in my transition that has to do with an improper weight shift and shoulder turn from not letting the right arm work in correctly before I start turning. I can’t seem to shallow the driver and it feels like my arms then tighten and my wrists kinda lock up and I’m just pulling the club through with my chest. Pulls/pull slice and weak slices all day long. My instructor seems to think it’s a mental block stopping me from swinging out to the right. It’s now affecting me throughout through the entire bag and for the past few weeks my irons have lost major distance and I’m falling back at least 1/2 the time. When I do get through the ball my divot goes way out to the left even after the ball when I have it on a low tee for a hybrid and 3 wood.

Anyone else had this type of problem or instructors seen similar. Is it mental? Am I just overthinking it? Do I just keep going to the range with the thought of swinging right and hope it works itself out?

Been playing for about 6 years and was just starting to feel like I was making real improvements coming into this season. Never been a long hitter but was getting off the tee fairly well (driver 240ish 3wood 225) an trending down to 11-12 around early July. Now I’m totally off the rails!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swing right or to right field was the absolute worst instruction I ever received. That one piece of swing advice destroyed my swing. I would suggest that instead of swinging right that you learn to pi

Nope, I don't believe for a second it's mental (unless my are talking about mental misunderstanding of how an efficient swing functions). Like is often posted on this forum the best way to troubleshoo

> @wkuo3 said: > If your instructor witness your golf swing after the lesson and said that you had a mental block....? > I would have a discussion with him to find out what exactly did he m

Nope, I don't believe for a second it's mental (unless my are talking about mental misunderstanding of how an efficient swing functions). Like is often posted on this forum the best way to troubleshoot your swing is for you to post video and/or pictures of your setup and swing. Based on your statement about what you feel with your arms, wrists, and chest I am guessing your hands are swing out away from your body and raising up in the downswing that leads to a steep shaft that then is only compensated for by your upper body yanking or spinning left.

I wouldn't be surprised if you told me your instructor has been telling you to shallow you shaft in the downswing, and then swing out at the ball. See the video below to see why that can be a bad idea.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. It is almost like frustration is really setting in. Played 9 Sunday then again yesterday and played the worst I have since the snow first thawed in the spring. Walking off the course yesterday really considering giving up golf all together. My practice swings don't even feel right. Feels like I'm just hitting at the ball and not swinging the club at this point.

Left the course and figured I'd go to the range to try to figure some things out and even that went badly. It's just completely baffling to me that the first time I went in for a lesson in June I was fighting a hook so obviously coming from the inside. Got that a little straightened out to mostly straight with a slight draw. Now I'm just coming OTT and slicing everything and steep and weak with my irons. I can't even hook one in 10 shots at the range while trying.

Thinking about trying to see a different instructor to see if he can see something different. I can feel something in my transition that's either causing my weight shift problems or if it's a faulty shift is causing my problem. I can't seem to get that feeling of loading into my right side and shifting to my left without what feels like my head moving too far in front of the ball and my arms and wrists locking up and pulling through with my chest.

If your instructor witness your golf swing after the lesson and said that you had a mental block....?

I would have a discussion with him to find out what exactly did he mean. If he could not tell you what was causing the issue then, time to dump him. You two are not a good match. Neither one of you may be at fault, it just didn't work out. Very seldom anyone will marry their first date, not that's impossible, it just does not happen often.

We all have different physical ability, our athletic ability are different, our physical frame are different and most of all, we're in different age group and some have old injury from the past..... if a golf instructor ignored all the variables and tried to put every student into the same mode..... find someone else. Because a perfect golf swing does not fit everyone.

hes saying that because if you "swing to the right" your swing plane shallows. Your divot is going to the left of target because you are coming Over the top. This with a closed face produces pulls and with a square face produces slices. What he wants you to do is remove all swing thoughts except this. Line up feet to target, and aim/look 30 yards right of the target. Only think about hitting the ball over there WHILE keeping feet aligned towards the target. You will automatically take the club inside a bit more and swing inside out. You cannot slice it from that position, unless the face is wide open

> @wkuo3 said:

> If your instructor witness your golf swing after the lesson and said that you had a mental block....?

> I would have a discussion with him to find out what exactly did he mean. If he could not tell you what was causing the issue then, time to dump him. You two are not a good match. Neither one of you may be at fault, it just didn't work out. Very seldom anyone will marry their first date, not that's impossible, it just does not happen often.

> We all have different physical ability, our athletic ability are different, our physical frame are different and most of all, we're in different age group and some have old injury from the past..... if a golf instructor ignored all the variables and tried to put every student into the same mode..... find someone else. Because a perfect golf swing does not fit everyone.

What he's says is that I don't want to see it go right so mentally I swing left which I guess makes sense. When I try hard to swing right the ball becomes my target which is causing me to come in steep which then makes me cut across it thus sending it right.

I've been going to see him for a few years (maybe a dozen times or so) and usually he can put me back on track for the most part at least during the lesson. Just these past few times do I feel like what he's telling me to do is actually making my swing worse across the entire bag. Which I why I question if there's something he's just not seeing.

I'm 38, 6'1 170lb in good shape and really athletic (expert skier and ski 100+ days a year x high school hockey player) which is why I've always been perplexed as to why I can't crush the ball like my buddies. When hitting it well my 7i is 150 Pw 120. Always was just told as I improved distance would get better which it kind of has a bit over the years. The other day I hit a 7i from 140 and it dropped out of the sky at around 125 into a bunker guarding the green. Just perplexed and frustrated at this point

• Like 1

> @Eric267 said:

> > @wkuo3 said:

> > If your instructor witness your golf swing after the lesson and said that you had a mental block....?

> > I would have a discussion with him to find out what exactly did he mean. If he could not tell you what was causing the issue then, time to dump him. You two are not a good match. Neither one of you may be at fault, it just didn't work out. Very seldom anyone will marry their first date, not that's impossible, it just does not happen often.

> > We all have different physical ability, our athletic ability are different, our physical frame are different and most of all, we're in different age group and some have old injury from the past..... if a golf instructor ignored all the variables and tried to put every student into the same mode..... find someone else. Because a perfect golf swing does not fit everyone.

>

> What he's says is that I don't want to see it go right so mentally I swing left which I guess makes sense. When I try hard to swing right the ball becomes my target which is causing me to come in steep which then makes me cut across it thus sending it right.

>

> I've been going to see him for a few years (maybe a dozen times or so) and usually he can put me back on track for the most part at least during the lesson. Just these past few times do I feel like what he's telling me to do is actually making my swing worse across the entire bag. Which I why I question if there's something he's just not seeing.

>

> I'm 38, 6'1 170lb in good shape and really athletic (expert skier and ski 100+ days a year x high school hockey player) which is why I've always been perplexed as to why I can't crush the ball like my buddies. When hitting it well my 7i is 150 Pw 120. Always was just told as I improved distance would get better which it kind of has a bit over the years. The other day I hit a 7i from 140 and it dropped out of the sky at around 125 into a bunker guarding the green. Just perplexed and frustrated at this point

The game of golf really is a game of dealing with failure.

What would be the worst that will happen to you if you failed and went to the right in front of your instructor ? What would happen on the driving range or even on the golf course ?

No big deal, right ? So learn to "fail" in front of your instructor, you had paid for the privilege.

Once you "get it" a few times, your confidence will grow exponentially.

There shouldn't be any fear of trying out the new method of golf swing taught by your instructor to you until proven not suitable for your case.

> The game of golf really is a game of dealing with failure.

> What would be the worst that will happen to you if you failed and went to the right in front of your instructor ? What would happen on the driving range or even on the golf course ?

> No big deal, right ? So learn to "fail" in front of your instructor, you had paid for the privilege.

> Once you "get it" a few times, your confidence will grow exponentially.

> There shouldn't be any fear of trying out the new method of golf swing taught by your instructor to you until proven not suitable for your case.

No doubt. I understand golf is a game of failures and working through them. It's definately not lack of trying to "just swing right". Been going to the range 3 days a week and giving it a go for the past 4-5 weeks.

Always been someone that suffers from a poor/improper weight shift and it took a lot of punch drills and even a (self implemented) pause at the top for a while to get things somewhat on track. Took a few years to get those things trending it in a somewhat efficient manner.

Just feeling like this is unwinding all that work

Because now I'm back to my (really weak) swing from a few years ago with my irons while seeing negligeable change to my 3w/driver off the tee. Went to the range today to hit a bucket with my GW and just work on tempo. 6 weeks ago was hitting it 110 with a slight Right to left and today maybe got 5 out to the 100 flag with most straight but high and dropping just over the 75 flag. I can feel my pivot and finish are way off. Couldn't seem to pull it back together to feel like I was hitting down on the ball.

Obviously whatever change needs made has to come from within, and there's no blame to be placed but now that I've ingrained this it's hard to see with the way things are trending I'm going to come out with a successful outcome. Now I need to start working on getting my shift/pivot back on track

> I'm 38, 6'1 170lb in good shape and really athletic (expert skier and ski 100+ days a year x high school hockey player) which is why I've always been perplexed as to why I can't crush the ball like my buddies. When hitting it well my 7i is 150 Pw 120. Always was just told as I improved distance would get better which it kind of has a bit over the years. The other day I hit a 7i from 140 and it dropped out of the sky at around 125 into a bunker guarding the green. Just perplexed and frustrated at this point

With your size, age and athleticism you should be the one crushing the ball past your buddies.

Have never heard any of the competent and trusted coaches here say to just "swing to the right" to fix any kind of swing issues. Unless you swing massively to the left with a huge out to in path, this is likely just a band aid fix that will introduce other problems. I'd think about finding a new coach. I'd also post swing videos here and get a quick tip from Monte/Dan.

Taylormade SIM Max 9* @9.75*- Ventus Black 6x

Taylormade Sim Ti @16.5* - Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x (Testing Cobra F9 w/ Accra FX2.0 380 M5)

SIM Max 19* - HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 90 6.5 (trialing Cobra Speedzone w/ Fujikura Pro 95X & Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x)

Titleist 818H1 - Ventus Blue 10x

Cobra Forged Tec Black 6i, Forged CB 6-GW - AMT X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 54.12D, 58.8M @59* - S400 Tour Issue Onyx

Compass Golf Co. Atwood (Newport 2 Timeless Tri sole clone)

TP5 (testing Vice Pro)

Your swing path is the result of everything you do in your swing. To simply tell a player to change his swing path, without discussing the parts of the swing prior, seems to be unlikely to be fruitful. I know, for some players their mechanics may improve with this kind of thought, but its not working for you, so the instructor SHOULD try to find other ways to get you to accomplish the goal. Maybe he needs to talk with you about improving rotation, or changing your sequencing, maybe he should find drills or slow-motion practice pieces that could help, something different from what he's saying now. To me that's the sign of a good instructor, he should have multiple ways of explaining problems, and multiple methods to improve the issue. The talk of a mental block sounds to me like he's deflecting responsibility for his inability to help you. I'd seriously consider a different instructor.

"Swing out to the right" is half of the advice. If the club starts outside the target line and you swing to the right you would miss the ball. However if your focus is only on swinging out to the right you'll miss one of the most important parts of hitting a draw - swinging from the inside. In your downswing get your hands to your right thigh before impact THEN swing out to the right and square the face.

Hank Haney gave that advice to a couple celebrities as a band-aid on the Haney Project a few years ago and it had me on the floor LMAO!

Go find another instructor.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

It can be effective for someone who fixes their swing faults but still has an ingrained pattern at the bottom of the swing of pulling the arms left across their body and flipping the right hand under to square the face. If the body is working properly, it is not possible to actually sling the arms out to the right. The problem is that this advice is given to slicers without first addressing the root of the problem and the end result is the people who stand up and sling.

Its a band-aid plain and simple....but what do I know???

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

After I picked the game up at age 25, my swing shape was OTT, much like most beginners. I took a lesson and was given this advice to "swing to right field," and "drop it in the slot." I ended up becoming a pin the left arm, drop the hands in transition, and get really stuck and early extend. Its been a long road back from that.

At the end of the day "swing out to right field" is just a feel and the feel isn't necessarily what is actually happening in the swing in the literal sense. What worked for me was trying all sorts of different feels until one gave me the correct result -- and what worked even better was trying those feels out on an actual golf course instead of the range. There was a course near me that I would go to during dead twilight time and I'd just basically have range sessions on a few of the holes and try a bunch of different things -- I hit a lot of heinous shots along the way but eventually one feel clicked. I'm built similar to you, 6 ft, 185, and the feel that clicked was feeling as if I was skipping stones with my right hand (I'm a righty) -- so it was keeping my right palm to the sky for as long as possible in the down swing and whipping/rolling hands at impact. This feel naturally forced me to drop the club in the slot and time my rotation more in sync with my hands and arms without having to think about it. With this feel with my irons, I went from coming over the top/casting/negative lag tension/flipping to compressing the ball. Maybe that will help you. I also consider myself an athlete and when I started off was very frustrated that I could only hit weak high slices with my irons.

Also, someone here posted some Mike Malaska videos. Another guy with a similar disdain for traditional golf instructing that I really like is Monte Scheinblum (his youtube videos in conjunction with Be Better Golf are awesome). What's funny is I'm pretty sure I just watched a video where he makes fun of the "swing out to right field" instruction.

As others have written, this isn't necessarily always bad advice. I have seen GG with near-OTT swingers do the drill where they put the clubhead out to the right, swing it back inside and then swing back to right again while trying to hit a hook to get that dumped under feeling. For those of us (me), that have that outside in feeling ingrained, it really does introduce a feeling of a better path.

When I'm struggling with a bit of steepness I sometimes have success with some external focus, although I realise this isn't for everyone.

I like to see a little draw when I'm playing well so I'll head to the range and put an alignment stick vertically in the ground on my target line. The only focus from there is to start the ball right of the stick and have it finishing to the left, I try not to think about mechanics of the swing at this point. It's amazing how the body finds a way of doing things after a few goes!

I'm not going to give advice on the over-the-top stuff but I'm also an ex-hockey player and an avid skier too (though I'm not lucky enough to live near the mtns like you). What I'm about to say may or may not be an issue for you but just an observation from one hockey player to another. Been playing golf for about 10 years on and off and always kind of hit the ball well but this year my consistency has skyrocketed. One thing I realized this year was to look at the club more like a hockey stick. That is, a square clubface is actually offset from the shaft like a blade of a hockey stick is (when you take into account the curved blade profile). So, take your grip with your arms straight out in front of you with shaft the club parallel to the ground. Notice the offset of the clubface relative to the shaft, then simply drop into your golf posture and notice the orientation of the clubface. It may look or feel very closed to you but is actually square. For a long time I was opening up the clubface unwittingly at address because I thought that was square. It was easier to see the grooves when I opened it by rolling my forearms or by pulling my rear shoulder back until the face opened.

It may not happen overnight but with a clubface that appears closed to you (but is actually square), you will begin to start swinging from the inside.

Mainly what I'm getting at is the whole swing out to right field thing never really helped me that much either. I think a lot of swing plane problems can be traced back to set-up issues. If you are inadvertently opening up the face at address, your athleticism helps with target awareness and you'll try to pull the shot back towards the target, or the open face at address will make you aim too far left and you'll pre-set and outside-in swing.

You can start swinging out to the right and eventually you'll hit pushes which eventually will turn into a slice again as you get tired of seeing them go dead right.

I apologize if all of this means nothing to you but I don't think working on path and working on clubface control/position at impact are mutually exclusive. You can work on path all you want but if the face at impact is off you'll still hit bad shots and if you are athletic you will make split-second compensations to save the shot. Sometimes you'll succeed, most of the time you won't.

Hi Eric, having read through this post everyone seems to be diving in to specific details of how your body is working/not working.

I've had literally the same issue as you with my driver for the longest time. This past two weeks I've solved it, I will still hit a massive push slice (can't we all), but on the whole, its high straight bombs all day at the range and on the course.

All I've done is recalibrate.

I set up with the ball position slightly further toward the middle of my stance, 3 inches from left heel, feet square to target, and then closed my shoulders A LOT.

Swing thoughts were everything as normal in the backswing, but then the downswing my only thought was to try and keep my left shoulder closed in the split second of my transition, and desperately try to get the club head to overtake the hands before impact.

It took 20 or so swings to really start not only swinging a bit more 'on plane' but also i started crushing the ball because i was finally releasing properly.

I now am setting up 'normally' and trying to swing with the same thoughts - middle contact, high straight ball flight.

Worth a try, rather than doing anything else more technical with your swing, might get you 'out of your head'.