Putting Woes

DFS PFD

Switch hands for putting and put with your strongest hand under your weaker one. Stop caring also when you putt and putt for the front of the cup instead of the back of it. If you can put this into practice you'll thank me. I play right handed and put left. I drained more putts lefty than I could ever imagine making right handed.

> @bladehunter said:

> It’s boils down to this in my experience. Which is extensive.

This is such a good list. I’ve said many times before that I was finally going to deal with my putting and I’ve not only continually failed to make progress but have actually gone backwards.

I was 6 over for 9 holes yesterday. Great drives and very good ball striking ruined with FOUR stinkin’ three-puts. It’s like I’m a single digit until I get to the green and then I turn into the tin man. It’s maddening.

I’m actually good with line on lag putts but poor with speed. The closer I get to the hole the more erratic my direction becomes. It’s got to be 100% mental.

> @PorscheFan said:

>

>

> > @bladehunter said:

> > It’s boils down to this in my experience. Which is extensive.

>

> This is such a good list. I’ve said many times before that I was finally going to deal with my putting and I’ve not only continually failed to make progress but have actually gone backwards.

>

> I was 6 over for 9 holes yesterday. Great drives and very good ball striking ruined with FOUR stinkin’ three-puts. It’s like I’m a single digit until I get to the green and then I turn into the tin man. It’s maddening.

>

> I’m actually good with line on lag putts but poor with speed. The closer I get to the hole the more erratic my direction becomes. It’s got to be 100% mental.

Preach on !

It’s absolutely a large mental component.

I had a similar round today. Turned a 70 into a 73 with a combo of two missed ,dead straight , 6 footers for birdie followed by 3 3 putts on the back while pressing to make putts.

Agree 100 % too when you say that line is better on 12 foot and longer putts. But speed is the issue sometimes. Then you get inside 12 and speed is something never off. But then it’s line that can get wonky.

The thing for me on lag putts is that I find it extremely hard to have a real feel for distance. I’m talking compared to pitches , chips or even partial to full wedge shots. I “ feel” the distance there and can tell you instantly if something is long , short etc. with a lag putt , a lot of the time I’m a spectator and don’t really feel like I know how far it will roll until I see it stop. I hate that feeling. It’s the opposite of control. That being said. My speed isn’t bad very often. I just don’t like the lack of knowing as soon as I hit it. If that makes any sense to anybody.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> a lot of the time I’m a spectator and don’t really feel like I know how far it will roll until I see it stop. I hate that feeling. It’s the opposite of control. That being said. My speed isn’t bad very often. I just don’t like the lack of knowing as soon as I hit it. If that makes any sense to anybody.

That’s such a good observation that I haven’t heard anywhere else... The lack of feel post-strike on lag putts.

I’m exactly the same, just worse... I’ll hit a 9 iron and - based on impact - have a decent idea of whether I’ll be a bit short or a bit long. With lag putts I make the stroke and anxiously wait... Will I be 5 feet long? 5 feet short? I have no idea. I’m a total passenger. I cannot predict the outcome.

I don’t have that lack of feel to the same extent on the practice green, which leads me to believe it’s partially the anxiety of having to make the next putt that robs me of feel on the lag putt.

I can’t ignore this anymore. I have to deal with it.

> @PorscheFan said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > a lot of the time I’m a spectator and don’t really feel like I know how far it will roll until I see it stop. I hate that feeling. It’s the opposite of control. That being said. My speed isn’t bad very often. I just don’t like the lack of knowing as soon as I hit it. If that makes any sense to anybody.

>

> That’s such a good observation that I haven’t heard anywhere else... The lack of feel post-strike on lag putts.

>

> I’m exactly the same, just worse... I’ll hit a 9 iron and - based on impact - have a decent idea of whether I’ll be a bit short or a bit long. With lag putts I make the stroke and anxiously wait... Will I be 5 feet long? 5 feet short? I have no idea. I’m a total passenger. I cannot predict the outcome.

>

> I don’t have that lack of feel to the same extent on the practice green, which leads me to believe it’s partially the anxiety of having to make the next putt that robs me of feel on the lag putt.

>

> I can’t ignore this anymore. I have to deal with it.

Exactly. For this I don’t have the answer. Yet.

I’ve felt in control for long putts before. So I know it’s possible. I just don’t know the causes and effects. And mind you. I’m not talking only 40 footers either. I’m also experiencing this on 10-12 footers at times. Usually on uphill or down hill putts. And when I make one I genuinely is luck. If I don’t know it’s online and right speed from distance when I hit it. It’s luck.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @PorscheFan said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > a lot of the time I’m a spectator and don’t really feel like I know how far it will roll until I see it stop. I hate that feeling. It’s the opposite of control. That being said. My speed isn’t bad very often. I just don’t like the lack of knowing as soon as I hit it. If that makes any sense to anybody.

> >

> > That’s such a good observation that I haven’t heard anywhere else... The lack of feel post-strike on lag putts.

> >

> > I’m exactly the same, just worse... I’ll hit a 9 iron and - based on impact - have a decent idea of whether I’ll be a bit short or a bit long. With lag putts I make the stroke and anxiously wait... Will I be 5 feet long? 5 feet short? I have no idea. I’m a total passenger. I cannot predict the outcome.

> >

> > I don’t have that lack of feel to the same extent on the practice green, which leads me to believe it’s partially the anxiety of having to make the next putt that robs me of feel on the lag putt.

> >

> > I can’t ignore this anymore. I have to deal with it.

>

> Exactly. For this I don’t have the answer. Yet.

>

> I’ve felt in control for long putts before. So I know it’s possible. I just don’t know the causes and effects. And mind you. I’m not talking only 40 footers either. I’m also experiencing this on 10-12 footers at times. Usually on uphill or down hill putts. And when I make one I genuinely is luck. If I don’t know it’s online and right speed from distance when I hit it. It’s luck.

How much of this is mental? I used to average 70.2 (on my home course, short muni) and did not hit the ball anywhere near as well as I do now, but I was solid as a rock inside of 3' putting. This year started missing a lot of 3' putts and it's had almost a snowball effect on the rest of my putting ever since.

> @"DFS PFD" said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @PorscheFan said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > a lot of the time I’m a spectator and don’t really feel like I know how far it will roll until I see it stop. I hate that feeling. It’s the opposite of control. That being said. My speed isn’t bad very often. I just don’t like the lack of knowing as soon as I hit it. If that makes any sense to anybody.

> > >

> > > That’s such a good observation that I haven’t heard anywhere else... The lack of feel post-strike on lag putts.

> > >

> > > I’m exactly the same, just worse... I’ll hit a 9 iron and - based on impact - have a decent idea of whether I’ll be a bit short or a bit long. With lag putts I make the stroke and anxiously wait... Will I be 5 feet long? 5 feet short? I have no idea. I’m a total passenger. I cannot predict the outcome.

> > >

> > > I don’t have that lack of feel to the same extent on the practice green, which leads me to believe it’s partially the anxiety of having to make the next putt that robs me of feel on the lag putt.

> > >

> > > I can’t ignore this anymore. I have to deal with it.

> >

> > Exactly. For this I don’t have the answer. Yet.

> >

> > I’ve felt in control for long putts before. So I know it’s possible. I just don’t know the causes and effects. And mind you. I’m not talking only 40 footers either. I’m also experiencing this on 10-12 footers at times. Usually on uphill or down hill putts. And when I make one I genuinely is luck. If I don’t know it’s online and right speed from distance when I hit it. It’s luck.

>

> How much of this is mental? I used to average 70.2 (on my home course, short muni) and did not hit the ball anywhere near as well as I do now, but I was solid as a rock inside of 3' putting. This year started missing a lot of 3' putts and it's had almost a snowball effect on the rest of my putting ever since.

Could be all of it. Could just be most. I wish I knew. Whatever it is , it’s not easy to kick. I find that distance the worst myself. I’d rather have 5-6 ft than a full 3. It has to do with how much you take it back etc. I find it very hard to have a smooth stroke inside 4 ft. It has to be rooted in the fact that I play greens that are Bermuda with grain , and I never ever see or assume a dead straight putt. I play one side of the hole or the other. And when it is straight. I miss.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I am going to suggest an alternative approach to what others have said (although I am not saying they are wrong). Try to find someone or a group of guys or gals and have a putting contest every chance you get. If you can't find someone to putt, putt against yourself (one ball against the other). Hit putts from all over the green, even from off the greens. Any place where a putter makes sense. Try to make the putts as challenging as you can where getting down in two putts is an accomplishment. The competition doesn't have to be for big money but requirement to make putts to win holes will change your focus from a technical to a results oriented one. Just get the ball in the hole and have fun with it. Good Luck.

For the ones that are lagging good but missing on shorter ones. Are you seeing the ball roll end over end in the lag putts?

Is it possible your not hitting the line on lag putts as well? Just the acceptable range is much larger to be considered a good putt?

I'm just curious. Usually people who struggle on 6 footers or less are not hitting pure straight putts.