Your most unpopular Golf opinions?

I know I know, not a popular OPINION. Lining up your ball to putt is hot right now. So hot that all mfgr's are making special alignment balls and even putters to match (Triple Track). But that little line on the ball has no bearing on how you putt, it's all in your mind. Few things annoy me more than watching someone spend time lining up their ball line to the hole and then totally missing it.

I think we should all be able to envision an imaginary line through the ball. I mean the putter has alignment on it. Isn't that enough? Do we want to draw a line from the ball to the hole? Is that where we're going? lol it's like totally unpopular, I know.

I draw lines on the balls I putt in my living room but that's just to make sure I'm getting the ball rolling correctly when I practice.

Then there's this ~https://mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-line-vs-no-line/

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boy, you guys sure do let a lot bother you. In the last two years, I have survived prostate cancer and a heart attack. I play, and walk almost every day, and I'm thrilled to still be in the upright po

Fittings are overrated Putter fittings are doubly so   There, I said it.

Handicap tournaments are the golf equivalent of live-action role playing game. You might as well put on a fake beard, pretend to be a dwarf and re-enact the Lord of the Rings.

I take a cart. Most people who brag about walking have the push caddy, that's like rolling luggage. Besides, Pros don't even carry their bags, why put extra tension on your shoulders and knees during a round? Oh, and if you're going to hit me with the whole exercise spiel, I go to the gym 5x a week. Golf is what I do on my rest days.

• Like 1

Someone gave me a sleeve of Callaway ERC last summer and I liked the look of the triple track. Having alignment line(s) on my ball assures me the face of my putter is square to my intended putting line. And it really doesn't take more than a second or two to line up my ball line with my intended putting path.  I have drawn a triple track on a lot of my golf balls now.

Re:   "But that little line on the ball has no bearing on how you putt, it's all in your mind."

Even if that's true, that's enough reason for me to keep lining it up. I think part of being a good putter (and a good golfer) is having confidence. That little line on my ball gives me confidence that I'm lined up. My putting improved last season, either because of the line or because of the confidence, so I'm going to keep using alignment lines. To each their own, right?

(I couldn't open the link you shared.)

• Like 1

Old people foursomes should only be allowed before 10 am. It’s mostly old people who don’t repair their pitch marks and divots. Guys who say the red tees are for women only are very insecure about their manhood. Driver is the most overrated/overpriced club in the bag. I miss Nike golf hardware.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9* - Alta CB55 S

Ping G410 22* HY - Fujikura Pro 2.0 S

Srixon Z U65 20* - Miyazaki Tour Issue S

Srixon Z565 4-AW - N.S. Pro 980 GHS S

Titleist Vokey SM6 56* F grind

Titleist Vokey SM6 60* F grind

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Yes, you got it. If it gives you confidence then it works even if it's fallacious. Like lucky shoes or keeping the ball marker always in your right pocket.

Does this link work? If not, search my golf spy labs line vs no line ~

I found it. Interesting. Although I'm not sure 10 people each putting 60 holes is a significant sample.

I did find this especially interesting:

Testers mentioned that from 10 and 20 feet, their focus on the line impacted the pace of the putt. There was a noticeable trend that from greater distances, distance control was worse when balls were marked with a line.

That's something to think about. Maybe I will experiment with longer putts this summer and see if that's true for me . . . that distance control is worse with a line. I'm still planning to use a line most of the time but I will do whatever works best for me.

• Like 1

6 Wedge Mafia!

44, 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64 degrees!

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

All prizes in handicap competitions should be awarded via lottery.

• Like 1

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?

Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17°
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° and 24°
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

44* that is a 9 iron--- oops wrong forum sorry---- 6 wedges my feeble mind gets confused with 3 maybe that is why I just carry 2. But hey if that is your cup of tea be happy and carry on

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

You're just jealous of my 50lb golf bag

6 wedges, 3 putters, 2 drivers.

(kidding, of course...I only bring multiples of each club to the driving range so I can test 'em out)

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

Stop making mid-handicap hacks (like me) do advanced math. Create custom electronic scorecards calculated off  handicap, course rating, and slope. If “par” for me is 82, show me the scores I should get for each hole. $20 fine for each un-repaired pitch mark. The player reporting it gets a free drink at the bar. I’ll play what clubs I want. Scoring four less strokes a round with GI irons doesn’t light my fire. Players should mix up the tee boxes across rounds. Blues one round, yellow one round, and so.Tunes are okay, but let’s agree on one source per foursome. Two carts and dueling music is BS. Hick hop stepping on ‘70s rock ruins a round.  Don’t make me crank the conservative talk radio. Nails need to make a comeback.If a golf pro can’t identify and articulate what’s up in my swing, why do they expect me to believe their “drills” will help?

Ha ha we used to do the same thing-- I have a huge old school Lynx Tour Bag ( not a mini staff) without the dividers and you can load it up. We would do that and grab a rental pull cart. well my bud bought one of those cheap Ajay pull carts from Goodwill and we collapsed that thing from the parking lot to the range and we ONLY had 25 clubs that day

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

I thought this thread was to list your UNpopular opinions ? LOL

Though there are some who hate it, using the line on the ball is a very popular opinion.

Oh, and the reason you couldn't open the link is because the board **** out certain words,,,,,,,, so the link can't work,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Adams A12 Idea Pro hybrid, 16*, Aldila 85 VS Proto Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Taylormade XFT 64

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Not that it matters, but actually my response was to Shawn Paul’s unpopular opinion:

“If you have to use the ball alignment line on the ball to line up your putt you probably don’t know what you’re doing. Just like, my opinion man.”

I know a lot of people use a line.

I used to ignore the added alignment lines. I felt they were aesthetic and didn't really do much (if anything).

However, last year I made a concerted effort to start using them more because I was on a mission to putt better and I figured anything that made me focus a little more was probably bound to have some effect (good or bad). I play very fast when on the green so I figured, 'why not give this a real chance and see if it helps?'

I won't say that they make you a better putter. I kind of agree that you ought to be able to see the line. But it's occasionally nice to line it up and measure that against what "feels correct" once you're over a putt. I've found the two are often different. I tend to trust the feel more as years of playing have dialed me in to seeing the line more from standing over the ball as opposed to standing/kneeling behind it.

That said, I don't think lining up your putts should add more than a few seconds to the time you spend on the green. If it's an issue at all, you're over-analyzing. That's the only reason I think it's a non-issue. Slow golfers make a habit of spending too much time on the tee box, too. And they spend too much time in the fairways as well.

I'm a big believer that no putt requires more than 4-5 seconds to read correctly. I'm the type that is fine walking right up to my ball and rolling it. I don't need more than a few short glances to see exactly what (I think) is going to occur once I roll the ball. Anything beyond 5-seconds is fake. And that's true for the most elite pro as much as it is for me.

It's like reading a sentence. You either understand all the words or you don't. The only reason people spend more than a few seconds reading a putt is because they're not sure what they really want to believe. It's instantaneously clear that it might go a little left at the end, so people will spend 30 seconds debating whether or not to play for that.

I don't know how you fix that tendency in people to worry about something which is at the end of the day a best-guess sort of estimate.

SIM (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Org.)
TS2 4w (17o)

M6 7w (21o)

z785 (4-Pw)
SM8 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

I think Renee Russo was pretty good in Tin Cup.

People that play music on the course have lower than average IQs.

You should be able to anchor whatever you want whenever you want. Most people who need to anchor aren’t as good as those who don’t.

Mike Davis is bad for the game.

Rory is better than Koepka.

Peter Kostis should have been gone long ago.

Clubs made six or seven years ago are just as good as the newest clubs released.

If you play Titleist clubs, all the clubs in your bag should be Titleist.

If you play TaylorMade, there should be no Callaway clubs in your bag. Mizuno irons and Cleveland wedges may be mixed with TaylorMade woods.

Anyone that uses the claw grip (or any derivative thereof) deserves to lose.

Matt Ginella should be sent to Siberia. Permanently

Jordan Spieth should use the C3I wedge.

Davis Love as an on course commentator is worse than Peter Kostis.

Professional Asian female golfers work harder than professional American female golfers

Scott McCarron and Bernhard Langer still anchor when they feel they can get away with it.

99.9% of all amateurs would benefit from using a low compression Surlyn covered ball.

The only person who thinks Peter Jacobsen is funny is Peter Jacobsen.

Johnny Miller was great as a player and as a commentator.

Golf Now stinks.

Matt Kuchar should be blindfolded and dropped off in downtown Tijuana.

99.9% of all golfers that use blade putters are kidding themselves.

You hit more bad shots with a 3 or 4 iron than good shots.

Having to hit out of a divot in the fairway is a stupid rule.

Scoring on tour would improve if players were allowed to wear shorts.

Any group with more than 2 golfers should not be allowed to pull the pin and each golfer should be limited to 15 seconds for a putt.

The amount of time most foursomes spend on the green didling around, pulling the pin, trying to read the grade and grass growing direction - should be a jailable offense for a weekend hack round.

• Like 1

WITB: callawaypreowned

Not everyone needs to be fit.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Hahaha. Clubs.

• Like 1