Your most unpopular Golf opinions?

BarrySanders

> @"dave willie" said:

> Scorecard playoffs should be eliminated. They are an administrative solution to avoiding the time and bother of having an actual playoff. If a scorecard playoff cannot be avoided, use them only to determine a tournament winner (gross and/or net). Do not use them for second place, third place, etc, What;s wrong with T2, T3, etc,? Split the prizes equally for ties.

> @jonesry09 said:

> If you book a last minute solo tee time, I ain't letting you through. Don't book a tee time expecting to just play frogger to get done a round in under 2 and a half.

> White claws should be banned from all golf courses. Possibly just banned from ever existing.

> If you talk to my ball, I get to punch you.

1. It should never bother us when people post in a thread without reading the OP.

2. I'm okay with Tony Romo and Steph Curry getting as many sponsor exemptions as the sponsors want to give.

> I don't find Paige Spiranac attractive in the least.

>

Not to skew the OP's topic, but what happened to her writing a column in Golf? It was a pretty worthless column, and the main point seemed to be to show pictures of her cleavage. (not that that's bad).....

Golf should be treated like surfing. Golfers should have to spend time on the range first, learn how to properly strike a golf ball on a consistent basis, learn the etiquette and pace of play before they should step on a golf course that has enough golfers that they can screw up the course for others. Better and more experienced golfers get to first priority on playing the better golf courses.

I believe golf professionals should have much more stringent standards on quality of play, but also be paid more and get to play golf (and forced to play) more often.

There’s no reason to make major changes in your swing unless when you do the new swing ‘correct’ that it provides much better results…as in hitting it longer and straighter. Otherwise you’re just making changes for no real reason other than aesthetics and boredom and you’re better off sticking with what you’ve been doing and learning to groove it better.

I believe that the difference between the pros and the rest of us is not the quality of our bad shots, but the quality of our great shots.

I believe the driver head is just as important as the shaft.

I believe the length of the shaft plays a larger role in how straight we can hit the ball than we think.

I think Augusta should grow out it’s rough more like about the length of say…Bay Hill’s come tournament week.

I honestly do not care one iota how pretty my swing looks.

Golf will always have a difficult time reaching urban youth and it has nothing to do with golf’s perception of ‘racism’, being ‘snobby’ or the perception that it’s ‘boring.’

I prefer the golf cart and think golf carts are a good thing. The only thing bad about golf carts is its effect on course design.

I hate and detest playing in foursomes.

I’m still a big fan of Gary McCord.

I’m always interested in what Bryson DeChambeau has to say.

Keeping your head down is the piece of advice that has irreperably harmed the game from a financial and popularity standpoint.

I think the reason why the US team sucks in the Ryder Cup is ‘they are playing for their country.’

Nobody at the Masters hated it when Patrick Reed won. It was anticlimactic and that’s why they weren’t going nuts over him winning.

I actually love Follow the Sun.

I’m not a big fan of these resort courses that are basically links courses with beautiful surroundings like Cabot Links, Streamsong, etc. I prefer the parkland designs because of the element of them being more interesting from a scoring perspective. I feel those golf getaway courses are there for the beauty, but the lack of realistically scoring well and having a large deviation in scores (being able to score well to score poorly) causes me to not have much interest. I’d rather play a course like Bay Hill over Streamsong any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

RH

• Like 1

> @RichieHunt said:

> Golf should be treated like surfing. Golfers should have to spend time on the range first, learn how to properly strike a golf ball on a consistent basis, learn the etiquette and pace of play before they should step on a golf course that has enough golfers that they can screw up the course for others. Better and more experienced golfers get to first priority on playing the better golf courses.

>

Just a question as I have seen some courses with no beginners before 12 policies. How do we define this? Most golfers do not carry a handicap, and I think we've all cold topped off the 1st tee in our lives too, so the idea of the starter watching and deciding seems like it could be way too personal opinion on one swing. I do agree with your point here btw I just do not know how to enforce it consistently.

Scotty Cameron stuff is the golf equivalent of Beanie Babies.

Fitting is the most overused and overhyped mantra in golf.

I live and play in open, windy country. Modern, inland links type courses are not in my bucket list.

I love my hybrids.

I love my cart.

Master's won't draw my name. Screw them.

When you've played a course hundreds of times, what's up with the rangefinder?

If you want to get drunk, do it somewhere other than a golf course.

No, you're not qualified to give me golf advice.

• Like 4

> @BarrySanders said:

> If you took a poll, over 50 percent of people would be against your opinion. Mine:

> 1. There is nothing wrong with courses discriminating on who plays on their courses

You mean minorities and women? Cause umm that seems well

• Like 1

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

> @Warrior42111 said:

> > @RichieHunt said:

> > Golf should be treated like surfing. Golfers should have to spend time on the range first, learn how to properly strike a golf ball on a consistent basis, learn the etiquette and pace of play before they should step on a golf course that has enough golfers that they can screw up the course for others. Better and more experienced golfers get to first priority on playing the better golf courses.

> >

> Just a question as I have seen some courses with no beginners before 12 policies. How do we define this? Most golfers do not carry a handicap, and I think we've all cold topped off the 1st tee in our lives too, so the idea of the starter watching and deciding seems like it could be way too personal opinion on one swing. I do agree with your point here btw I just do not know how to enforce it consistently.

>

>

It's a utopian philosophy. It would never exist. So many country clubs wouldn't have a membership.

RH

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @MadGolfer76 said:

> > 18 > 15

> >

>

> Ha! Good one!

> I tell you what though, I'll give you 18 $10 bills and you give me 15 $100 bills. 18 > 15 I know, so you'll be doing better than me out of the deal, but I'm willing to fall on my sword for this one.

Can I buy pot from you? :)

Jk

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

> @SnapHooker_605 said:

> Hank Haney made a good point that no Americans being in contention has hurt Women's golf. I don't care about men's tennis for the same reason.

No one wants to tell the women to stop su....oh, I can't finish it.

Sorry...sorry...

• Like 1

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

> @RichieHunt said:

> Golf should be treated like surfing. Golfers should have to spend time on the range first, learn how to properly strike a golf ball on a consistent basis, learn the etiquette and pace of play before they should step on a golf course that has enough golfers that they can screw up the course for others. Better and more experienced golfers get to first priority on playing the better golf courses.

>

> I believe golf professionals should have much more stringent standards on quality of play, but also be paid more and get to play golf (and forced to play) more often.

>

> There’s no reason to make major changes in your swing unless when you do the new swing ‘correct’ that it provides much better results…as in hitting it longer and straighter. Otherwise you’re just making changes for no real reason other than aesthetics and boredom and you’re better off sticking with what you’ve been doing and learning to groove it better.

>

> I believe that the difference between the pros and the rest of us is not the quality of our bad shots, but the quality of our great shots.

>

> I believe the driver head is just as important as the shaft.

>

> I believe the length of the shaft plays a larger role in how straight we can hit the ball than we think.

>

> I think Augusta should grow out it’s rough more like about the length of say…Bay Hill’s come tournament week.

>

> I honestly do not care one iota how pretty my swing looks.

>

> Golf will always have a difficult time reaching urban youth and it has nothing to do with golf’s perception of ‘racism’, being ‘snobby’ or the perception that it’s ‘boring.’

>

> I prefer the golf cart and think golf carts are a good thing. The only thing bad about golf carts is its effect on course design.

>

> I hate and detest playing in foursomes.

>

> I’m still a big fan of Gary McCord.

>

> I’m always interested in what Bryson DeChambeau has to say.

>

> Keeping your head down is the piece of advice that has irreperably harmed the game from a financial and popularity standpoint.

>

> I think the reason why the US team sucks in the Ryder Cup is ‘they are playing for their country.’

>

> Nobody at the Masters hated it when Patrick Reed won. It was anticlimactic and that’s why they weren’t going nuts over him winning.

>

> I actually love Follow the Sun.

>

> I’m not a big fan of these resort courses that are basically links courses with beautiful surroundings like Cabot Links, Streamsong, etc. I prefer the parkland designs because of the element of them being more interesting from a scoring perspective. I feel those golf getaway courses are there for the beauty, but the lack of realistically scoring well and having a large deviation in scores (being able to score well to score poorly) causes me to not have much interest. I’d rather play a course like Bay Hill over Streamsong any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

>

>

>

> RH

>

Now, this is a good post.

> @pholway said:

> > @BarrySanders said:

> > If you took a poll, over 50 percent of people would be against your opinion. Mine:

> > 1. There is nothing wrong with courses discriminating on who plays on their courses

> You mean minorities and women? Cause umm that seems well

>

>

Well, what? Would you play at a course that didn't allow black people?

> @"Strömsborg" said:

> Handicap tournaments are the golf equivalent of live-action role playing game. You might as well put on a fake beard, pretend to be a dwarf and re-enact the Lord of the Rings.

As a recent winner of such a tournament, pass the 24-sided die and prepare to feel the wrath of my ability cards!

Seriously though... the amount of sandbagging accusations I copped for having a good day (3 under my cap) because I stayed sober and took it seriously makes me want to avoid these events forever. I don't feel like I won, everyone else feels like I cheated.

> @RichieHunt said:

> Golf should be treated like surfing. Golfers should have to spend time on the range first, learn how to properly strike a golf ball on a consistent basis, learn the etiquette and pace of play before they should step on a golf course that has enough golfers that they can screw up the course for others.

> RH

>

Here in Sweden we have that. They've changed the rules around it a bit and I'm not 100% sure how it works now, but basically you have to pass a practical and theoretical test to get your golf handicap, and you are not aloud to book a tee time without one. Even if you book a time for you and your friends, you need to register your friends golf-ID's too. You also need to be a member of a golf club somewhere to be able to play (there are some very cheap options, some of which don't even have a real golf course). A beginner without a handicap but who is a member of a golf club, can usually play with a partner who has a handicap on that course, but then your non-beginner friend is accountable that you keep pace and behave accordingly.

• Like 1

There's a lot of room to overthink things in golf. Sometimes the best course of action is to simply stop thinking. Trust your instincts, trust the gear you own, and just let it ride.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

> @BarrySanders said:

> > @pholway said:

> > > @BarrySanders said:

> > > If you took a poll, over 50 percent of people would be against your opinion. Mine:

> > > 1. There is nothing wrong with courses discriminating on who plays on their courses

> > You mean minorities and women? Cause umm that seems well

> >

> >

>

> Well, what? Would you play at a course that didn't allow black people?

No that's why was asking , i think i read your opinion wrong that you were FOR discrimination, maybe because 50% seems pretty low - i dont know a soul who would agree with it. carry on

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> Fittings are overrated

> Putter fittings are doubly so

>

> There, I said it.

as a fitter, I agree and disagree. The vast majority of golfers. a fitting does nothing for. They are not good enough or make consistent enough contact for any kind of fitting to mean anything. I think a putter fitting should be like, You like the way it looks? does it feel good? ok, thats the one for you.

The exceptions are golfers that shoot at about a 10 handicap or better.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @duffer987 said:

> * Wearing an OEM's golf hat makes you look like a berk

> * If you wear shorts to golf, you should have to wear knee-high socks

> * The woman golfer in a mixed pair is almost always the nicer person

> * People who say Spyglass is better than Pebble don't really believe it and just want to seem clever

Berk??

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > * Wearing an OEM's golf hat makes you look like a berk

> > * If you wear shorts to golf, you should have to wear knee-high socks

> > * The woman golfer in a mixed pair is almost always the nicer person

> > * People who say Spyglass is better than Pebble don't really believe it and just want to seem clever

>

> Berk??

It's cockney rhyming slang. Berkshire hunt...

Not a nice thing to say about someone. But a good way to call someone a see you next Tuesday in relatively polite company.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @duffer987 said:

> > > * Wearing an OEM's golf hat makes you look like a berk

> > > * If you wear shorts to golf, you should have to wear knee-high socks

> > > * The woman golfer in a mixed pair is almost always the nicer person

> > > * People who say Spyglass is better than Pebble don't really believe it and just want to seem clever

> >

> > Berk??

>

> It's cockney rhyming slang. Berkshire hunt...

>

> Not a nice thing to say about someone. But a good way to call someone a see you next Tuesday in relatively polite company.

Gotcha... I like it. I am going to use it.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Lanny wants us all to remember the D in his last name

Handicaping is lame, abolish it now (says the 13 hdcp guy who keeps losing to 20+ sandbaggers)

At the pro level, honesty is a fundamental. At the amateur level not so much

I don't give a toss about growing the game, there's already enough knuckleheads playing it

I hate golf carts but even more I hate golf cart paths that send your ball flying into a hazard 60 yards away

I would be a pro if my parents had forced me to play golf at age 4

Giddy-up y'all, let's play some golf!!!

> @HappyGilmoresBoots said:

> There's a lot of room to overthink things in golf. Sometimes the best course of action is to simply stop thinking. Trust your instincts, trust the gear you own, and just let it ride.

The first person to say something that 100 percent of golfers would agree on?