Your most unpopular Golf opinions?

BarrySanders

Seem to be a lot of opinions in here that I wouldn't exactly call unpopular, LOL.

I guess I'll play....

Scotty Cameron putters, and Titleist equipment in in general, are the most overrated things in the game of golf. This includes their precious golfball. PT Barnum would be proud.

For the love of the golf gods, grooves do not cause spin. Early grooveless iron tests showed increased spin. Stop with the absurdity of sharpening your grooves. Come on, guys, read the Tom Wishon comments. Or at least a recent @Nessism post.

In the vein of "unpopular with only some folks"....

The ball is not magically hotter now than it was in the 90s. It's all regulated, and has been for decades. FFS, when they updated the test to the new 120mph protocol, the ball was even rolled back, albeit slightly. The pros complaining about distance are doing a cute "get off my lawn."

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> Another came to mind:

> Left Handed players who whine about RH-only clubs can go take a hike. We get it, not every club is made for both sides of the plate. Might have something to do with Lefties being like 7% of the market. Go play polo or field hockey some time, see how you get on.

>

> (I'm left-handed, thankfully my dad foresaw this and made me learn golf right-handed. MP-20's look nice don't they?)

This made me laugh out loud. (And yes they do, mine are on order :) )

Currently playing 10 clubs

Titleist TSR2 9* [Tensei White 1k 6TX]

Tour Edge CB Pro F2 14.5* [Graphite Design AD-DI 7TX]

Tour Edge CB Pro F2 17.5* [Graphite Design AD-DI 8TX]

GEOM Golf Moe [Raw] [21, 29, 37, 45] [LA Golf 125X]

Artisan Golf [Raw] [54, 60] [LA Golf 125X]

Bettinardi BB1F Blackout [LA Golf Soho]

Iomic Grips make the best grips in golf (sponsor me please)

@TheGolfBench builds my clubs

#PlayOrPerish #LeadTapeChronicles #SlowPlayersWillBeAskedToLeave

> @hespeler said:

> Dealing with other people on the golf course, their behavior and idiosyncrasies, and the affect it has on your game is a requisite skill of golf. In a lot of cases, even more difficult than the skill of actually playing golf.

>

>

This is the most underrated skill in all of golf. Getting paired up with an A-hole or playing behind the guy who won't finish before Christmas really does wonders for my score that day...

> @rule_6 said:

> (At my club) Anyone playing in a tournament should be required to wear a collard shirt and tuck it in.

>

> a 4hr round of golf is completely acceptable in a 4some. If you don't have time for a 4 hour round, don't play that day.

>

> Growing the game is fine so long as RESPECT for the game is maintained.

>

> 18 is still greater than 15.

>

> Golf coverage is better without Tiger.

>

> The driver and the ball are fine, they don't need to change.

Fuzzy Zoeller's ears just perked up.

Here are mine:

1) Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but if all the guys playing now were around in the 2000's, Tiger wouldn't have won near as much - and I'm a Tiger fan

2) Many "traditions" in golf are dogwhistles for racism

3) Greens on tour should be slower, not faster

4) Bunkers on tour should not be raked

5) Man-made water hazards are tacky

6) Gary Player has not flown more miles than any other human

• Like 1

> @"BIG STU" said:

> OK I will bite and trust me I have been flamed and roasted on here before but I am a big boy and can take it.

> 1-- There is no one etched in stone way to swing and play this game and that includes equipment too

> 2--- I can hit older irons ( read blades) with traditional lofts better than I can newer CB SGI clubs with jacked lofts--- I did not say further but more accurate

> 3--- The problems? lately on the PGA Tour with drivers conforming easly solved go back to playing persimmon drivers. Me I could care less what happens in any PGA event

> 4--- Ignore the USGA and R&A play what equipment you darn well please

> 5--- Play your game like you and your group wants the main thing is to have fun

> 6--- Treat the course and the game with dignity in other words no music on the course

> That is my .02 FWIW and I will say this----- As a proud American veteran I may not share your opinion but will stand by you and fight to the death if needed for your RIGHT to express it

>

Ok, here comes the flame. YOU MAKE WAY TOO MUCH SENSE!.

> @justasgood said:

> " Feel like Butter" I've never understood why anyone would equate hitting a hard ball with a piece of steel with hitting a hard ball with a stick of butter............

As a corollary, "Feels Like Butter" is applied in nearly every hobby I have. Much like golf, the analogy is dubious at best, and weird at worst. Why is "butter" our best simile?

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

1- Eliminate the whole "right to left" and "left to right" verbal redundancy. A putt breaks "right", or maybe "left". Google Maps doesn't tell you to make a "left to right" turn on Main St, and then a "right to left" turn on Elm St.

2- Eliminate iron and hlabeling with single numbers (ie 3-9) or letters (PW, SW, etc). Just label them with the degrees of loft. One man's 5 iron, is another man's 6 iron, is another man's 7 iron, depending on the strength of the iron set +/- additional bending. On the par 3 tee: "What did you hit there?", "I hit my 42". Now that would tell you something interesting or actionable.

3- Allowing fivesomes on a course is just giving the middle finger to everyone else on the course.

4- What if hiking or mountain climbing was like golf, and every time you rolled up on some slowpoke on the trail you had to get permission to "hike through", and if permission was not granted you had to hike behind them for the next five hours at their glacial pace. It sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Think about it.

• Like 2

1- Eliminate the whole "right to left" and "left to right" verbal redundancy. A putt breaks "right", or maybe "left". Google Maps doesn't tell you to make a "left to right" turn on Main St, and then a "right to left" turn on Elm St.

2- Eliminate iron and hlabeling with single numbers (ie 3-9) or letters (PW, SW, etc). Just label them with the degrees of loft. One man's 5 iron, is another man's 6 iron, is another man's 7 iron, depending on the strength of the iron set +/- additional bending. On the par 3 tee: "What did you hit there?", "I hit my 42". Now that would tell you something interesting or actionable.

3- Allowing fivesomes on a course is just giving the middle finger to everyone else on the course.

4- What if hiking or mountain climbing was like golf, and every time you rolled up on some slowpoke on the trail you had to get permission to "hike through", and if permission was not granted you had to hike behind them for the next five hours at their glacial pace. It sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Think about it.

• Like 1

When DeChambeau tees off, someone in the crowd should be shouting E=mc2 or a2 + b2 = c2 so it will give him even more reason to slow down, think, and enjoy

The Fed-Ex Cup should be replaced by the Bio-Flex Cup so they would stop telling us what position everybody is in all year long...

Nicklaus will replace all 18 greens at Muirfield next year after the Memorial. I'm thinking he will sell the old ones on Ebay to recover some of the costs

If you use cheap golf balls it's perfectly fine. But hey, next time you pass a trash can at the course with an empty Pro V1 sleeve box in it, grab it. Pouring 3 of your cheap balls out of that box will impress your friends more the next time you tee it up, they won't look close but they'll see the box...

Good golfers use mostly the fairways and their approach shots land on the greens. They make divots and repair ball marks eventually putting stress on greens. Duffers use the rough, forests, ponds, creeksides, and bunkers, and are careful not to land approach shots on the green itself. Therefore good golfers should pay more to play as they do more damage than duffers who just play 'peripherally' and rarely see the actual course.

> @Jc0 said:

> Divots should be ground under repair. It's dumb to hit the fairway which is what you are supposed to do to get the best lie then just go oh well when you get screwed over by a divot.

I've always said this. I have suggested my partners to do so in casual games.

It should fall under the man-made obstruction rule.

That prov1 trick ?

Golf shouldn't be shown live. A one or two minute delay would allow them to skip all those awkward times when a pro backs off a putt or shot and the announcers have to think of something to say for another 30 seconds when nothing happens.

Your swing is worse than you think it is. The best shots you hit are luck, not a glimpse of your true potential. (Most people will agree with this when applied to other people, but not themselves).

You are not peeking, looking up, or lifting your head. You're straightening your knees or waist, or pulling in your shoulders.

You're not swinging too fast. You're swinging too jerkily.

• Like 1

I just wanted to strengthen my point on game improvement irons. Sorry, but you aren't playing golf. You are playing tennis with a racquet. I didn't have my blades when I was in Florida this month, so I used my dad's 1994 big bertha irons. 180 yard 7 irons of the toe that curve back to the center is not golf.

Refurbished golf balls are just as good as furbished ones

One of the differences between us and pros is when they buy golf stuff on Ebay, their sponsors pay for it

There should also be a penalty for playing the wrong club, it contributes to slow play. Some people even seem to do it on the green.

Pot bunkers will soon be legal in the US as well

Starting today, draw should be called fade, and fade should be called draw. Then there would be a whole lot more golfers who can draw the ball

> @caniac6 said:

> The Golfwrx post with the quick links is a pain in the butt.

That's an opinion about an unpopular thing, not an unpopular opinion! I couldn't agree more!

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

> @cbbaron said:

> I get a hole in one why should I buy you guys drinks

Spot on with this one. If I'm playing with somebody and they get a hole in one (haven't been in a group with a hole in 1 since I've been old enough to buy a round), I am buying them as many drinks as they want.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

> @SnapHooker_605 said:

> > @cbbaron said:

> > I get a hole in one why should I buy you guys drinks

>

> Spot on with this one. If I'm playing with somebody and they get a hole in one (haven't been in a group with a hole in 1 since I've been old enough to buy a round), I am buying them as many drinks as they want.

Never mind having one never witnessed one as well

> @SnapHooker_605 said:

> > @cbbaron said:

> > I get a hole in one why should I buy you guys drinks

>

> Spot on with this one. If I'm playing with somebody and they get a hole in one (haven't been in a group with a hole in 1 since I've been old enough to buy a round), I am buying them as many drinks as they want.

Aced a par 4 a couple years ago, my buddies whisked me past the bar and to the outdoor patio and insisted they buy me the drinks.

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"