2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Your most unpopular Golf opinions?

BarrySanders

> @cbbaron said:

> I get a hole in one why should I buy you guys drinks

I agree. I don't have a problem with buying drinks (although I've only had 1 hole-in-one, when I was 16), but it goes overboard with things like Hole-in-One insurance or people demanding the golfer to buy a keg for the entire course.

Golf is expensive enough.

RH

6 Lees on the LPGA will not make it more popular and successful.

TV viewers don't really care about another 300+ yard drive carry, it really makes the game unoriginal, dull, and redundant, hardly more exciting.

Average golfers cringe when pga tour pros hit 5 irons 220, even if it's really a 3 iron (1980)

TV arranged match play events are garbage, no one really cares even if all $$ goes to help underprivledged youth around the globe prevent climate warming/change, et. al.

Nantz interviews with excecutives of companies sponsoring PGA events are horrendous.

Shooting sub 60 scores at a PGA tour event evoke ZZZzzz these days.

Game improvement clubs, balls etc. have helped manufacturers' $$ revenues, more than the golfers playing to double digit handicaps.

Golfers who get lessons from qualified PGA pros, then go the Golf WRX instruction forum for the general public to provide input are out of their minds.

Who ever made up the phrase "drive for show, putt for dough" must have really sucked at putting because its the easiest part of golf.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Ninety-nine plus percent of golfers are wonderful people, but there is that rare day when someone from that remainder percent is apt to show one's donkey. Never in my experience has one from the remainder percent been a young person.

I make it a point to not be a burden to others on the course. Hit into me and I will smile and even more quickly finish the hole and wait for you to play through. But if waiting for others to then play through is thought to take a bit too long, I will continue. Hit into me again and I will smile and put the ball in my pocket (but will leave it on the green when I exit the green if I don't first receive a visit in which I will give it back). I have never done this, but neither has anyone hit into me twice. I guess I am willing to be a remainder percenter given a certain circumstance and thus show my donkey, too.

Old Cuss

* I'm sick of "bro culture" invading golf. I'm 24 and I see this cr@p everywhere. People getting wasted and shouting during every shot at a pro event is unbelievably obnoxious.

* Commentary on American golf is cringey and awful. Take a page from Euro tour coverage and use british commentators, and keep the chatter minimal.

* Music should be banned on golf courses.

* Bryson should have been thrown out of that tournament where he walked off a 100-yard shot, fined, and given a three-tournament suspension. Absolutely cannot stand that pompous idiot.

* Slow play can and does ruin an otherwise great day of golf.

* Tee times before noon should be for experienced players who can keep pace only. Even if it means no children/beginners/elderly/women.

* PC culture can suck it. Bring back men's only clubs.

• Like 3

Mine:

Pace of play just isn’t that big of an issue for me. I like to enjoy my time on the golf course.

Why do we need to grow the game? I’d rather rightsize it for the zealots like me, and let everyone else do something they would enjoy more. Is there something inherently wrong with a smaller group of people enjoying an activity that isn't enjoyed by everyone and that costs $ to play (and thus there is just a portion of the population that this activity isn't "meant" for)? If more people want to play, I say “great”...but if not so what?

On that note, I’m done apologizing for playing an “elitist” game at an “elitist club. If me and a group of people with similar interests and of a similar economic “status” want to enjoy ourselves our way, and in a way that harms literally no-one, then I say again “what is wrong with that?”

I’ve never really liked Phil Mickelson and I’m a lefty, though the older Phil is growing on me.

I really despise Koepka.

And I think Dechambeau is using this “mad scientist” act as a branding ploy. I guess it doesn’t help that I have a couple of advanced scientific degrees and thus I “understand “ what he’s talking about, but I also understand that he might be overstepping himself a little bit...

I don't like Jack.

I think Bobby Jones should be at least in the conversation of "greatest ever"...

If it wasn't constantly pimped out by the PGATour and Golf Channel, the Players would be simply a better golf tournament than the PGA Championship

We still haven't reached the time where Brooks is better than Rory

Tiger has been the greatest golfer of all time since 2001 and everything he's done since then just puts him further ahead

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

> @marmaduk said:

> There should be no such thing as pre-booked teetimes. First come first serve. Show up. Sign up. Shut up. Your wait time is called warm up. Do it.

>

> I don’t care how many wives or children you have. Make your priorities, Stick to them, and shut up about it. You are not a hero

>

> Anyone who has given up golf because of children/family, or any passion in their life for that matter, is weak and the people you gave it up for can see that.

>

> Marshals should start… Marshaling And not be lazy retirees looking for free golf.

Cant wait till you get married and/or have kids

If that ever happens.

• Like 1

I have zero interest in watching professional golf. I think it's boring and repetitive, with cringey TV commentary. I'd rather watch the C-flight club championship at Bushwood CC, more suspense and unpredictability there. Bryson DeChambeau and Brandel Chamblee are the same person to me, just because their names sound similar and I have no idea what either of them look like.

I don't think classic courses should be altered due to increased distance of today's players, nor should the ball be rolled back. If everyone in the tournament shoots in the high 50s/low 60s, why does it matter? They are all playing the same course. The person who plays best that day still wins the field, whether that is a 57 or a 67.

I don't want to grow the game - there's enough people out on golf courses

Music doesn't belong on a golf course

Carts should be eliminated from American golf culture - everyone should walk unless physically unable (similar to European golf culture although I understand this is, unfortunately, changing to some extent)

• Like 2

> @"Cottonseed." said:

> > @marmaduk said:

> > There should be no such thing as pre-booked teetimes. First come first serve. Show up. Sign up. Shut up. Your wait time is called warm up. Do it.

> >

> > I don’t care how many wives or children you have. Make your priorities, Stick to them, and shut up about it. You are not a hero

> >

> > Anyone who has given up golf because of children/family, or any passion in their life for that matter, is weak and the people you gave it up for can see that.

> >

> > Marshals should start… Marshaling And not be lazy retirees looking for free golf.

>

> Cant wait till you get married and/or have kids

>

> If that ever happens.

My comment sounded more heavy handed than I intended.

I actually like kids but have zero plans on having my own.

It comes down to priorities once again. I’m 36 years old and have been in the same relationship with my girlfriend for 14 years this month. Both our parents combined had nine marriages. Thus she is my partner and not my wife.

I stand by my comments. Don’t give up the passions in your life for anyone. Children are perceptive and if they see that you are being “forced“ to spend time with them instead of having fun doing things you love I think they will subconsciously hold that against you. Don’t misinterpret this for me saying I don’t want you to spend any time with your children. Just find the time for golf. It’s like finding the time to exercise. No one ever says now that I have children I just can’t find the time to exercise. We would call them lazy.

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

Unpopular opinion number #45 : Golf clubs **aren't tools** for anyone except people that play golf to earn a living. For the rest of us, it is OK to use head covers on everything in the bag to protect the investment made. Most clubs are purchased because they look and feel good and keeping them looking like the day you got 'em is OK.

• Like 1

> @marmaduk said:

> > @"Cottonseed." said:

> > > @marmaduk said:

> > > There should be no such thing as pre-booked teetimes. First come first serve. Show up. Sign up. Shut up. Your wait time is called warm up. Do it.

> > >

> > > I don’t care how many wives or children you have. Make your priorities, Stick to them, and shut up about it. You are not a hero

> > >

> > > Anyone who has given up golf because of children/family, or any passion in their life for that matter, is weak and the people you gave it up for can see that.

> > >

> > > Marshals should start… Marshaling And not be lazy retirees looking for free golf.

> >

> > Cant wait till you get married and/or have kids

> >

> > If that ever happens.

>

> It comes down to priorities once again. I’m 36 years old and have been in the same relationship with my girlfriend for 14 years this month. Both our parents combined had nine marriages. Thus she is my partner and not my wife.

So you both realize you are not capable of or fear marriage and raising kids because of your parents failures, therefore you have set a 'don't cross this line' mark.

Three things I wouldn't be doing if I were you due to lack of experience, 1. telling people about wives, 2. telling people about kids 3. calling seniors lazy

I don't like Tiger, he may have been the greatest ever, but I just can't stand the guy, I think he's fake and always has been

I don't think we need to grow the game

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @marmaduk said:

> > > @"Cottonseed." said:

> > > > @marmaduk said:

> > > > There should be no such thing as pre-booked teetimes. First come first serve. Show up. Sign up. Shut up. Your wait time is called warm up. Do it.

> > > >

> > > > I don’t care how many wives or children you have. Make your priorities, Stick to them, and shut up about it. You are not a hero

> > > >

> > > > Anyone who has given up golf because of children/family, or any passion in their life for that matter, is weak and the people you gave it up for can see that.

> > > >

> > > > Marshals should start… Marshaling And not be lazy retirees looking for free golf.

> > >

> > > Cant wait till you get married and/or have kids

> > >

> > > If that ever happens.

> >

>

> > It comes down to priorities once again. I’m 36 years old and have been in the same relationship with my girlfriend for 14 years this month. Both our parents combined had nine marriages. Thus she is my partner and not my wife.

>

> So you both realize you are not capable of or fear marriage and raising kids because of your parents failures, therefore you have set a 'don't cross this line' mark.

>

> Three things I wouldn't be doing if I were you due to lack of experience, 1. telling people about wives, 2. telling people about kids 3. calling seniors lazy

I am married and have kids and my wife and I BOTH golf more than we did before we were both married and had our kids.

YMMV on your personal excuses of what you have to give up and for what reasons.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @marmaduk said:

> > @"Cottonseed." said:

> > > @marmaduk said:

> > > There should be no such thing as pre-booked teetimes. First come first serve. Show up. Sign up. Shut up. Your wait time is called warm up. Do it.

> > >

> > > I don’t care how many wives or children you have. Make your priorities, Stick to them, and shut up about it. You are not a hero

> > >

> > > Anyone who has given up golf because of children/family, or any passion in their life for that matter, is weak and the people you gave it up for can see that.

> > >

> > > Marshals should start… Marshaling And not be lazy retirees looking for free golf.

> >

> > Cant wait till you get married and/or have kids

> >

> > If that ever happens.

>

> My comment sounded more heavy handed than I intended.

> I actually like kids but have zero plans on having my own.

> It comes down to priorities once again. I’m 36 years old and have been in the same relationship with my girlfriend for 14 years this month. Both our parents combined had nine marriages. Thus she is my partner and not my wife.

>

> I stand by my comments. Don’t give up the passions in your life for anyone. Children are perceptive and if they see that you are being “forced“ to spend time with them instead of having fun doing things you love I think they will subconsciously hold that against you. Don’t misinterpret this for me saying I don’t want you to spend any time with your children. Just find the time for golf. It’s like finding the time to exercise. No one ever says now that I have children I just can’t find the time to exercise. We would call them lazy.

I hear ya.

Weve got a 10 week old and my golf has certainly dropped from 4-5 times a week to 1 or 2.

It will NEVER disappear from my life completely and wife knows that.

You just have to set the precedent early on that this is what your passionate about and this is what makes you happy (other than her and your offspring).

• Like 1

1) Golf fittings are way overrated for most

2) We should be able to legally beat up slow golfers as it's the single biggest cancer in the game

3) People who yell "you da man" or whatever after someone hits a shot at a PGA tour event should be shot

I'm feeling violent today. :)

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @marmaduk said:

> > > > @marmaduk said:

> > > > There should be no such thing as pre-booked teetimes. First come first serve. Show up. Sign up. Shut up. Your wait time is called warm up. Do it.

> > > >

> > > > I don’t care how many wives or children you have. Make your priorities, Stick to them, and shut up about it. You are not a hero

> > > >

> > > > Anyone who has given up golf because of children/family, or any passion in their life for that matter, is weak and the people you gave it up for can see that.

> > > >

> > > > Marshals should start… Marshaling And not be lazy retirees looking for free golf.

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> > It comes down to priorities once again. I’m 36 years old and have been in the same relationship with my girlfriend for 14 years this month. Both our parents combined had nine marriages. Thus she is my partner and not my wife.

>

> So you both realize you are not capable of or fear marriage and raising kids because of your parents failures, therefore you have set a 'don't cross this line' mark.

>

> Three things I wouldn't be doing if I were you due to lack of experience, 1. telling people about wives, 2. telling people about kids 3. calling seniors lazy

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @marmaduk said:

> > > > @marmaduk said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

>

>

je6ytifelfas.jpg

Do you watch Dr. Phil before or after you marshal on Monday mornings?

Also, the average marriage lasts 8.2 years. So, I think I know more about "marriage" than most.

Don't get nostalgic. A ring does not make a wife.

BTW, I wasn't calling seniors lazy. I just said there was a strong correlation between seniors, laziness, and marshalling. I realise that you're a senior and you took offence but it wasn't a blanket statement. I think we can all agree that marshals are not doing their jobs ie. slow play. Therefore they are a bit lazy. I think we can also all agree almost all marshals are retirees. ipso facto

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

I’ve lost track of the “married with kids” vs “unmarried with no kids” debate (I don’t even know what is being argued anymore).

That said, anyone who thinks that a marriage and / or having kids doesn’t require some compromise on your own part is either living in a dreamland, or is a bit too absorbed in their own life, or has figured out the Grand Unifying Theory of the universe.

I’m not sure who’s who in here, but I’m in the “married with kids” camp and the “happy to make some compromises for the ones I love “ camp. And I’m also fortunate that I still get to play a decent amount of golf, but it is definitely an opportunistic endeavor finding times that work for everyone affected by it.

> @The7thLetter said:

> Carts should be eliminated from American golf culture - everyone should walk unless physically unable (similar to European golf culture although I understand this is, unfortunately, changing to some extent)

I’m going to assume that you do not live on the gulf coast where 110 heat index with humidity so high you can feel the moisture in the air? Eliminating carts in some parts of the country would have devastating effects on the game. I love walking, but it is just too hot for most of the year to be able to enjoy it.

• Like 1

> @bigred90gt said:

> > @The7thLetter said:

> > Carts should be eliminated from American golf culture - everyone should walk unless physically unable (similar to European golf culture although I understand this is, unfortunately, changing to some extent)

>

> I’m going to assume that you do not live on the gulf coast where 110 heat index with humidity so high you can feel the moisture in the air? Eliminating carts in some parts of the country would have devastating effects on the game. I love walking, but it is just too hot for most of the year to be able to enjoy it.

That even happens here in Minnesota, several weeks every summer.

Seems self defeating to do something that reduces your sales units, when they're already limited by Mother Nature

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors