MEMBER REVIEWS; Ben Hogan GS53 Drivers and Fairways! See What Members Are Saying!

cnptofyeasnu.jpg

We know everyone wants to know more about the Ben Hogan GS53 wood line and we have members putting drivers and fairway woods through their paces! Make sure to ask any questions you might have, these testers would love to answer them. The members testing are...

@disco111

@Myherobobhope

@dbdors

@mtiger10

We also want to give a big THANK YOU to Ben Hogan for putting on this product testing thread!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

I'm really excited to have this opportunity- thanks Ben Hogan Golf and GolfWRX !! My tracking info says Driver and Fairway will arrive Wednesday. I hope to have an opportunity to do some testing this weekend. Signature below has the BH clubs that I requested and the ones I'll be comparing.

Ben Hogan GS53 9* with UST Helium stiff  & Ben Hogan GS53 16* with UST Helium stiff

Titleist 816 H2 21* with stiff flex Diamana S+ Blue 70  

Ping G400 irons 5-AW with steel AWT shafts

Callaway MD4 Wide sole wedges 54* & 58*

Seemore Nashville One Studio Series

Mine will be delivered today, thanks also to Ben Hogan and Golfwrx. Really looking forward to it.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48*, 53* & 58*, Accra T90i S
Putter: LAB Golf DF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Hey guys! Thanks for the opportunity. I'm travelling tomorrow and Thursday, but should get some on course time on Friday. I'm also hoping to get onto a simulator next week and compare the Hogan against the field.

This will actually be my first actually new new driver since the TaylorMade Burner I bought with allowance money in 97. Sadly, I didn't get the bubble shaft! I grew up playing in Dallas, and spent my High School years playing a course Mr. Hogan was familiar with (Northwood Country Club). I've been eyeing Hogan clubs since their inception, so I am excited to give them a try.

I've been playing golf all summer, and have my swing where I want it to be with the Driver. I've been finding fairways and hitting bombs. I'm hitting my Cobra LTD about 270-300 right now, I think. I've been playing the Snell Black, but will likely try the Hogan with a few different balls, just to give it a fair shake.

If you recognize my user name, you were either here a while back or have been in my "Where is my 2 wood?" thread... I'm excited to take the Hogan through it's paces mainly off the tee, but I'm sure I'll hit some from the deck as well for science. It will be replacing my Adams Fast 12 3 wood. I'm really looking for a good, consistent club that puts me into play on some of the shorter par 4s and 5s on my home course.

I haven't ordered any additional sleeves to try different shafts, but will likely end up down that road... I have a variety in house right now. Please let me know if you have any questions you'd like answered. I don't have the clubs in hand yet!

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

0pg8uvpbywog.png

This is what I went with... had to decide between a heavier and higher launching shaft or lighter and lower, so I went lighter...

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Appreciate WRX and the Ben Hogan company for giving me the opportunity to test the latest Driver and fairway woods. Just received an Email that said the clubs will be shipped out today, so being the next state up, they should arrive by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

My driving has always been fairly low height wise, with a good portion of distance coming from the roll out. The test driver will be sporting their high launch shaft at 10.5 club head loft with regular shaft, so it should be interesting to see if it can produce more height, which should equal more carry. It will be going against my current TM SLDR with the same shaft flex and head loft. The SLDR has a reputation of being somewhat inconsistent and at times could deliver some really good length on a well struck hit. Now I'm not that interested in a major distance gain, but not opposed to it either if it should happen, but rather more height/carry and better dispersion/fairways.

Now the fairway wood is up against some really strong competition. It's going against the TM RBZ HL 3 at 17 degrees. Yeah it's really a 4 wood, but the hot face makes up for the higher loft. The Hogan will be at 16 degrees, same shaft flex ® and length. The main thing I'll be looking for from the Hogan is a possible increase in distance, but it may be hard pressed to beat the TM.

Thanks again to WRX and Hogan for this opportunity.

Got my box today. And took a few pics. I hope to go to the range tomorrow. And to PGATSS and launch monitor and compare to my Rogue and M5 3W.

The clubs look nice and of great quality. There was one hick-up (will show later), but the are a quality set. I knew that they used the Lamkin Z5, but I was expecting the blue and gray and got the black & gray. Just like my current and favorite grips. The head covers are nice vinyl.

l9u6viagphwb.jpg6n2wl7ohibum.jpg

3gsu6zsj135x.jpgl6mq6ia14qvk.jpg

The heads are simply beautiful and the speed slot reminds me of an Adams driver that I used to have.

ppmurqf71i0m.jpgaastjf70azwu.jpg

g0x7k3w94ijq.jpgkyrw6o3wh83x.jpg

I requested the Hzrdus Smoke for the driver and Tensi blue for the 3W

i4u36srl28nn.jpgc775u6cz2mtr.jpg

joejwiwgdlff.jpg

I love how the driver sits square at address

a5chosfl850i.jpg

And it is certainly smaller than my Rogue

mf4sfjwxjga2.jpg

The only issue so far is the 3W shaft was installed crocked. This does not bother me as my shafts are flo'd and are not label aligned,

But in this case both the grip and shaft are off. The grip aligns with the label, so I guess it was simply installed off line.

d5e3868rr3n8.jpg

Again, I'm hoping to get to the range after work tomorrow. Will report back on my initial feelings.

Edit: Checked the Swingweight before I left this morning, the Driver is D4 and the 3W is D2.5

And total weight of 314g (driver_ and 338g (3W). I have no way to measure MOI.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S

Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit

If there is a way to make the pics align side by side, please let me know. I tried to make them all 400 pixels tall. So that there would be room for them to be side by side.

Really wish I wasn’t traveling tomorrow. Excited to have these in hand.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @SubaruWRX said:

> I see it says “speed slot”. Where is it and what does it do? I don’t see a slot where I’d expect one to be.

Its a lip underneath the crown. I'll post a better pic tonight. But it reminds me of the an Adams 9064LS that I used to have.

ncdox0htmzdd.png

My speculation is that it pays homage to back when. As you should be able to see, the old wooden club had a much deeper and wider cut out. Does it really do anything? Your guess is as good as mine. Back in the day, I played with that same type wooden head with a 45" stiff 2 wood and could really launch it. Haven't found a club that can or could match it in all these years. Maybe this new iteration can deliver.

• Like 1

I've seen comments already about the face angle at address. Since this is an adjustable driver, I'm curious about what settings the testers choose. My current driver is set to 9.5* with 1* closed face so that will likely be my starting point with the BH GS53 testing. This chart explains the settings.ybsbm8azno8i.jpg

Ben Hogan GS53 9* with UST Helium stiff  & Ben Hogan GS53 16* with UST Helium stiff

Just finished playing 18 and this review is primarily for folks with lesser swing speeds (under 95) and seniors. Last time I checked my driver SS was around 2 months ago at Dicks. At that time I hit every big name driver they had and they were all within a couple of yards of each other. My SS was calibrated (according to their monitor) at 89mph. Now I'm somewhat skeptical of those monitors, but that's what is/was offered. I won't bore anyone with all the different parameters that can be obtained from these things and besides we're all going to different when it comes to those numbers. All I really want to see is actual performance on the course, where your dealing with wind, grades, dog legs, etc. So here's my actual course assessments.

Driver : 10.5 with the high launch "R" shaft and set at neutral position. First and foremost, it's a fairway finder. Hit 12 out of 14 fairways. One was just off by about 5 feet and the other we just won't talk about. Tried to really step on one to cut the corner and hooked the snot out of it. I think it's in the back of a pick up truck heading south on I35. For those who have never hit wood woods, the feel factor with this driver is like going back in time. You know when it was not on the screws and I hit a couple out on the toe and it was instantly transmitted back. Now even on those toe hits, the ball drew ever so slightly back into the fairway and with more than acceptable distance. As for distance itself, this driver is comparable to any thing current on the market. The launch application of what the shaft was/is designed for was a pleasant surprise to me. I was looking for more height on my drives and this shaft delivered. Not super high, but a lot higher than what I normally would hit and it had decent run out also. Hitting into a 15+ mph wind had it's effect, but the distances were at and even a couple a little further then where I normally wind up. Playing your home course, you know where you wind up and this driver certainly delivered.

Now for the fairway wood. Both "R" flex standard length, but the Hogan had the higher launch shaft, same as the driver.

As I stated prior, it was up against the TM RBZ 17 HL, which has the flex slot (hot face). To my surprise, the Hogan at 16 degrees was not a disappointment. If anything, it more than held it's own and even surpassed on a couple of shots. With the TM, I always hit line drives with plenty of roll out. With the Hogan and the HL shaft, the distances were equal, but the Hogan shaft did get the ball up with greater carry. All in all, was very pleased with both clubs, they both delivered what was expected of them and then some.

Now I'd like to again thank WRX and Ben Hogan for this opportunity, but I'd also like to state that Hogan, IMO, needs to get these clubs into the stores so folks can try them for themselves. These clubs are too good to not be readily available to test out.

Wanted to show accessories provided with the clubs. tu3fixb37i2d.jpg

Now a few comparison pics since the GS53 driver is a 445cc driver. 6og2zutf2e5s.jpgg3d557am9p61.jpg5uzmpd2truwz.jpg

Mine came with the UST Helium shaft, great looking graphics on a slick silver shaft. q2g8bjaf9s6j.jpg

The fairway wood is very comparable in shape and size to my current one. w5557zirk86x.jpg

One thing that certainly stood out regarding the BH driver/fairway is the classic shape; love the traditional look.

First I have to say sorry I don't have more details. I got to the range late and it started getting dark and the mosquitos carried me 10 yards down range at least twice. We've had a lot of rain. So I only got a few hits in and we were hitting off mats, so tee height was sketchy.

Second, the driver. This has got to be the best sounding driver I have ever hit or heard. Period. I know people talk about driver sound a lot, but I didn't think much about it. But now I know.

Next the dog gone thing is certainly long. As it was dark, I could follow the ball all the way, but it is long. I made a 30 minute reservation for Saturday and will get some actual numbers then. But it is long. I am really scared that I might hit this longer and better than my Rogue.

I was able to get a few hits with the fairway from a tee and off the deck. Again, great sound and long. I think the loft is too high for me. My M5 is 13 degree set to 11, by a fitter. This one is 14 degree. the lowest loft they have. I'll check it and compare on the monitor saturday as well. But I think the loft may simply be too high for me.

As echoed above, it's really too bad that these are not in stores. Hope they can maybe get out and do some range days. They are both very impressive and if you had a chance I know you would agree.

• Like 1

> @mtiger10 said:

> I've seen comments already about the face angle at address. Since this is an adjustable driver, I'm curious about what settings the testers choose. My current driver is set to 9.5* with 1* closed face so that will likely be my starting point with the BH GS53 testing. This chart explains the settings.ybsbm8azno8i.jpg

>

I ordered a 9 degree and mine is set to N- (square) which is how it looks. My current drive is 9 set to 8, I may try that out on Saturday as well. But I'm struggling with a slice now, and I don't need the 2 degree open on the face.

On feature that I love on my Rogue is the adjustable hosel is that Callaway uses. The BH is a similar design, meaning you can make adjustments and keep your shaft and grip in the same alignment.

Here is a quick video showing how easy it was to adjust the Ben Hogan GS53 driver. I chose the 9.5 loft with 1* closed (promote draw) setting.

Am I running on 4 hours sleep? Possibly. Did I fly to Dallas and back in under 18 hours to interview for a job that I probably won't take? Maybe. Did I have dinner with my high school best friend whom I haven't seen for 10+ year? Yes, and it was lovely. Thanks for asking.

Got home to a box on my porch. Finally. I've been waiting to unbox these puppies for a bit! Thanks Ben Hogan Golf.

Clubs come with their weight listed on them... not sure if other companies do that, but it was a nice little addition! My driver head came in at 202.7g and my 3w (14 degree) at 215.7g. I ordered both with Midsize grips and SMOKE 6.5 shafts. Both came perfectly constructed. After reading through this thread, I immediately adjusted my 9.5 head to the lowest possible setting. It's my default starting place with any club, and all my adjustable drivers are as open and low as I can get them. I'd love to have them less open, but my launch is too high, so open it is.

These clubs are gorgeous. I like the muted colors, and traditional looks. The Ben Hogan grips that they put on are a nice custom design matching the colors of the club... Just a nice little touch.

Headcovers appear to be well made, and I like their clean looks. The driver head cover will have to fight my moose headcover (it will lose)... but I will get plenty of use out of the 3w cover. My hope tomorrow is to get in some range time in the morning and then go out and play 18 in the afternoon. I know my spots on the home course, so this will be test #1.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Ok, I got a chance to take them out into the real world... one of the downsides a small manufacturer has is limited option... I like a 70g shaft. I don't feel comfortable in lighter shafts and it's mucked up my testing. I am currently bombing my gamer, which is a Cobra LTD with an Aldila Tour Blue 75g X shaft.

Fortunately, being the good WRXer I am, I have a 7M3 Black Tie with an Adams tip ready to be sacrificed to the cause. I will take it in tomorrow and get them swapped out. The three wood needs a different shaft as well for me. Loved the feel of both on the range, got a good trajectory and overall liked the club... Just doesn't have the shaft I need.

I haven't figured out what I am going to do on the 3w front.... I have a buddy at Golf Galaxy that I am going to see tomorrow. I have a couple of different thoughts, but will probably end up slapping a Proforce V2 shaft in it, as I've always gotten along with it.

I had limited on course testing due to the shaft issue, but knocked one 270 into a breeze... I like this club and want to make it work!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

First trip to the range today with the GS53 driver and fairway wood. My ball-striking was decent for a miserably hot day (mid 90s with no shade to be found). After a quick warm up, my normal practice routine consists of driver, PW, driver, 7i, etc, because nobody would hit five straight drivers on the course. I wanted to see how I would do at finding the center of the face on the 445cc GS53 so I pulled out the old school impact tape. These were literally the first 4 shots that I hit with each driver. The first pic is my current driver, 3 of 4 shots found the fairway. The second pic is the GS53, 4 of 4 shots found the fairway. b3im4xqhlv1k.jpg27yay8elc8ua.jpg

I can't explain how pleasing the sound of a well-struck shot can be with the GS53. Once again the first video is loud, tingy sound of current driver and then second video is pleasant sound of GS53.

My current driver swing speed is around 95mph and finding fairways is much more important to me than increasing distance. I was surprised at the forgiveness afforded by the driver and fairway wood off the tee. I've still got to assess the fairway wood from the turf.

Sound on this thing is freaking awesome... Nice work on your post!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Wish this came in Lefty

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

> @Myherobobhope said:

> Ok, I got a chance to take them out into the real world... one of the downsides a small manufacturer has is limited option... I like a 70g shaft. I don't feel comfortable in lighter shafts and it's mucked up my testing. I am currently bombing my gamer, which is a Cobra LTD with an Aldila Tour Blue 75g X shaft.

>

> Fortunately, being the good WRXer I am, I have a 7M3 Black Tie with an Adams tip ready to be sacrificed to the cause. I will take it in tomorrow and get them swapped out. The three wood needs a different shaft as well for me. Loved the feel of both on the range, got a good trajectory and overall liked the club... Just doesn't have the shaft I need.

>

> I haven't figured out what I am going to do on the 3w front.... I have a buddy at Golf Galaxy that I am going to see tomorrow. I have a couple of different thoughts, but will probably end up slapping a Proforce V2 shaft in it, as I've always gotten along with it.

>

> I had limited on course testing due to the shaft issue, but knocked one 270 into a breeze... I like this club and want to make it work!

I admire your dedication and wanting to go above and beyond with your testing, but if you can't use what the manufacture offers, just what are you really testing?

> @disco111 said:

> > @Myherobobhope said:

> > Ok, I got a chance to take them out into the real world... one of the downsides a small manufacturer has is limited option... I like a 70g shaft. I don't feel comfortable in lighter shafts and it's mucked up my testing. I am currently bombing my gamer, which is a Cobra LTD with an Aldila Tour Blue 75g X shaft.

> >

> > Fortunately, being the good WRXer I am, I have a 7M3 Black Tie with an Adams tip ready to be sacrificed to the cause. I will take it in tomorrow and get them swapped out. The three wood needs a different shaft as well for me. Loved the feel of both on the range, got a good trajectory and overall liked the club... Just doesn't have the shaft I need.

> >

> > I haven't figured out what I am going to do on the 3w front.... I have a buddy at Golf Galaxy that I am going to see tomorrow. I have a couple of different thoughts, but will probably end up slapping a Proforce V2 shaft in it, as I've always gotten along with it.

> >

> > I had limited on course testing due to the shaft issue, but knocked one 270 into a breeze... I like this club and want to make it work!

>

> I admire your dedication and wanting to go above and beyond with your testing, but if you can't use what the manufacture offers, just what are you really testing?

Honestly, I've been grappling with that same question... and it's why I am trying to be as transparent as possible during the process.

I think the clubs deserve a fair shake, and I really like the heads. I also really need a new three wood. If I was handed the 14 degree hogan with no expectations, I'd be doing exactly what I am doing now...

This being WRX, the lack of shaft selection is a problem that is most likely easily solved by common WRXers. I have a number of shafts and heads sitting in my garage. It's not much of an effort to swap out shafts on the driver... just need to get the tip moved. I'd like to give the head a real demo as I like it's feel, and it's looks...

On the three wood front, it's a little more challenging, and I don't have shafts laying about... but I like the feel of the head and need a new 3 wood... so changing it out seems like the logical thing to do.

I could just review, say "Hey, I like these club heads but they don't offer the right shafts for me... big swingers look elsewhere" but that doesn't feel right.

So, I guess at the end of the day, what I'm saying is I'm testing the heads and trying to be upfront about the lack of shaft options for people with aggressive swings.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @disco111 said:

> I hope that Hogan reviews these testing reports and especially from someone as dedicated as yourself. Then perhaps they can offer additional shaft options or even be open to folks just ordering the heads and adapter. Looking forward to your review after the shaft change.

We shall see! I get that I'm in a minority in my need for a heavy shaft, so I don't blame them... I also did not ASK if they had any other options, and just went with what I told were my options, so I could be at fault on that (I took what was offered!)

I want to at least make an effort to give these clubs a fair shake, and the shaft I ordered them with is not allowing that to happen.

I also have a huge amount of respect for the small market brands trying to make a living in the golf world... I understand they can't offer every possible option the big guys do... but the head is $300... I want to see if I can make it work with the right shaft, especially having a great shaft sitting in the garage not getting used.

If nothing else, this is GolfWRX. Aren't we expected to reshaft the club? (I had honestly considered buying a couple additional tips when I won, just on principal)

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58