Shortest set a golfer could win a PGA Tour Event with?

NonCompetitive1

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @kwcsports said:

> > Anyone saying any Pro could win a PGA Tour event with 4 clubs is insane. Not happening.

>

> We are talking about TW in 2000.

>

> He beat pretty much the whole field by 20 shots at the 2000 US Open.

>

> If a guy is 20 shots better than the field. He should probably drop 7 clubs just to make it fair ; )

>

>

He was 10 shots better.

The ball was the other 10.

• Like 1

> @cdnglf said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > > @kwcsports said:

> > > Anyone saying any Pro could win a PGA Tour event with 4 clubs is insane. Not happening.

> >

> > We are talking about TW in 2000.

> >

> > He beat pretty much the whole field by 20 shots at the 2000 US Open.

> >

> > If a guy is 20 shots better than the field. He should probably drop 7 clubs just to make it fair ; )

> >

> >

>

> He was 10 shots better.

> The ball was the other 10.

Ha! Ok, fair

But still, besides the 2000 us open, TW has won 3 other events by 11 shots or more. And he has by 8 shots 6 other times.

In 99/2000 seasons he won 17 times in 42 starts, 41%

In 06/07 he won 15 out of 31 events, 48%

The guy won 44% of 73 events during those 4 years.

As insane as it may sound for him to win with 4 clubs.

How insane is it for him to beat 125 guys 44% of the time over 73 events for 4 years?

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > > @bscinstnct said:

> > > > @kwcsports said:

> > > > Anyone saying any Pro could win a PGA Tour event with 4 clubs is insane. Not happening.

> > >

> > > We are talking about TW in 2000.

> > >

> > > He beat pretty much the whole field by 20 shots at the 2000 US Open.

> > >

> > > If a guy is 20 shots better than the field. He should probably drop 7 clubs just to make it fair ; )

> > >

> > >

> >

> > He was 10 shots better.

> > The ball was the other 10.

>

> Ha! Ok, fair

>

> But still, besides the 2000 us open, TW has won 3 other events by 11 shots or more. And he has by 8 shots 6 other times.

>

> In 99/2000 seasons he won 17 times in 42 starts, 41%

>

> In 06/07 he won 15 out of 31 events, 48%

>

> The guy won 44% of 73 events during those 4 years.

>

> As insane as it may sound for him to win with 4 clubs.

> How insane is it for him to beat 125 guys 44% of the time over 73 events for 4 years?

>

Almost as dominant as 1980s Wayne Gretzky. But Wayne couldn’t have won a scoring title with a ringette stick either. Probably.

• Like 1

What's amazing, is to replay that US Open through a high end audio system with the appropriate filters. Makes it really easy to hear the back-and-forth between Tiger and Stevie, and you'd be surprised at what you hear:

SW: This shot sets up perfect for a knock-down 8i.

TW: Nah, hand me the 5.

SW: You're going to need all of your 3i to reach that green.

TW: Nah, hand me the 5.

SW: I've got 172 to the centre of the green. Cut your 7 into the right half.

TW: Nah, I'll take the wedge. I'll just step on it.

....and the rest is history!

> @"Ignatius Reilly" said:

> What's amazing, is to replay that US Open through a high end audio system with the appropriate filters. Makes it really easy to hear the back-and-forth between Tiger and Stevie, and you'd be surprised at what you hear:

>

> SW: This shot sets up perfect for a knock-down 8i.

> TW: Nah, hand me the 5.

>

> SW: You're going to need all of your 3i to reach that green.

> TW: Nah, hand me the 5.

>

> SW: I've got 172 to the centre of the green. Cut your 7 into the right half.

> TW: Nah, I'll take the wedge. I'll just step on it.

>

> ....and the rest is history!

Ha, actually, at :35 seconds in the vid below, you hear TW say to Stevie,

“Is that the one you’re talking about?”

He is referring to some target Stevie gave him to shoot at that he just nailed.

TW do some work, that for sure

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > > @bscinstnct said:

> > > > @kwcsports said:

> > > > Anyone saying any Pro could win a PGA Tour event with 4 clubs is insane. Not happening.

> > >

> > > We are talking about TW in 2000.

> > >

> > > He beat pretty much the whole field by 20 shots at the 2000 US Open.

> > >

> > > If a guy is 20 shots better than the field. He should probably drop 7 clubs just to make it fair ; )

> > >

> > >

> >

> > He was 10 shots better.

> > The ball was the other 10.

>

> Ha! Ok, fair

>

> But still, besides the 2000 us open, TW has won 3 other events by 11 shots or more. And he has by 8 shots 6 other times.

>

> In 99/2000 seasons he won 17 times in 42 starts, 41%

>

> In 06/07 he won 15 out of 31 events, 48%

>

> The guy won 44% of 73 events during those 4 years.

>

> As insane as it may sound for him to win with 4 clubs.

> How insane is it for him to beat 125 guys 44% of the time over 73 events for 4 years?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I would say much of his dominance was using a full bag of clubs in a way that others simply could not. Cutting his options by 60-70% would be pretty detrimental. He might need 7-8 clubs to still win lol

• Like 1

> @Krt22 said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > @bscinstnct said:

> > > > > @kwcsports said:

> > > > > Anyone saying any Pro could win a PGA Tour event with 4 clubs is insane. Not happening.

> > > >

> > > > We are talking about TW in 2000.

> > > >

> > > > He beat pretty much the whole field by 20 shots at the 2000 US Open.

> > > >

> > > > If a guy is 20 shots better than the field. He should probably drop 7 clubs just to make it fair ; )

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > He was 10 shots better.

> > > The ball was the other 10.

> >

> > Ha! Ok, fair

> >

> > But still, besides the 2000 us open, TW has won 3 other events by 11 shots or more. And he has by 8 shots 6 other times.

> >

> > In 99/2000 seasons he won 17 times in 42 starts, 41%

> >

> > In 06/07 he won 15 out of 31 events, 48%

> >

> > The guy won 44% of 73 events during those 4 years.

> >

> > As insane as it may sound for him to win with 4 clubs.

> > How insane is it for him to beat 125 guys 44% of the time over 73 events for 4 years?

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> I would say much of his dominance was using a full bag of clubs in a way that others simply could not. Cutting his options by 60-70% would be pretty detrimental. He might need 7-8 clubs to still win lol

>

Now, we are getting somewhere.

I agree, TW 1.0 could win a PGA tour event with 8 clubs.

In the 2000 us open, the t-27 players finished 25 shots behind TW.

So. TW beat like 100 guys by 25 shots or/mc.

He can’t win with 4 clubs?

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @bscinstnct said:

> > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > @bscinstnct said:

> > > > > > @kwcsports said:

> > > > > > Anyone saying any Pro could win a PGA Tour event with 4 clubs is insane. Not happening.

> > > > >

> > > > > We are talking about TW in 2000.

> > > > >

> > > > > He beat pretty much the whole field by 20 shots at the 2000 US Open.

> > > > >

> > > > > If a guy is 20 shots better than the field. He should probably drop 7 clubs just to make it fair ; )

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > He was 10 shots better.

> > > > The ball was the other 10.

> > >

> > > Ha! Ok, fair

> > >

> > > But still, besides the 2000 us open, TW has won 3 other events by 11 shots or more. And he has by 8 shots 6 other times.

> > >

> > > In 99/2000 seasons he won 17 times in 42 starts, 41%

> > >

> > > In 06/07 he won 15 out of 31 events, 48%

> > >

> > > The guy won 44% of 73 events during those 4 years.

> > >

> > > As insane as it may sound for him to win with 4 clubs.

> > > How insane is it for him to beat 125 guys 44% of the time over 73 events for 4 years?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > I would say much of his dominance was using a full bag of clubs in a way that others simply could not. Cutting his options by 60-70% would be pretty detrimental. He might need 7-8 clubs to still win lol

> >

>

> Now, we are getting somewhere.

>

> I agree, TW 1.0 could win a PGA tour event with 8 clubs.

>

> In the 2000 us open, the t-27 players finished 25 shots behind TW.

>

> So. TW beat like 100 guys by 25 shots or/mc.

>

> He can’t win with 4 clubs?

>

>

>

The laws of physics cease to exist on his fairways!

• Like 1

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @bscinstnct said:

> > > > > @cdnglf said:

> > > > > > @bscinstnct said:

> > > > > > > @kwcsports said:

> > > > > > > Anyone saying any Pro could win a PGA Tour event with 4 clubs is insane. Not happening.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > We are talking about TW in 2000.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > He beat pretty much the whole field by 20 shots at the 2000 US Open.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If a guy is 20 shots better than the field. He should probably drop 7 clubs just to make it fair ; )

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > He was 10 shots better.

> > > > > The ball was the other 10.

> > > >

> > > > Ha! Ok, fair

> > > >

> > > > But still, besides the 2000 us open, TW has won 3 other events by 11 shots or more. And he has by 8 shots 6 other times.

> > > >

> > > > In 99/2000 seasons he won 17 times in 42 starts, 41%

> > > >

> > > > In 06/07 he won 15 out of 31 events, 48%

> > > >

> > > > The guy won 44% of 73 events during those 4 years.

> > > >

> > > > As insane as it may sound for him to win with 4 clubs.

> > > > How insane is it for him to beat 125 guys 44% of the time over 73 events for 4 years?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > I would say much of his dominance was using a full bag of clubs in a way that others simply could not. Cutting his options by 60-70% would be pretty detrimental. He might need 7-8 clubs to still win lol

> > >

> >

> > Now, we are getting somewhere.

> >

> > I agree, TW 1.0 could win a PGA tour event with 8 clubs.

> >

> > In the 2000 us open, the t-27 players finished 25 shots behind TW.

> >

> > So. TW beat like 100 guys by 25 shots or/mc.

> >

> > He can’t win with 4 clubs?

> >

> >

> >

>

> The laws of physics cease to exist on his fairways!

And what do we call these really big things out there lining the fairways?

125tcecvla5g.jpeg

> @NonCompetitive1 said:

> I got thinking about the shortest set that would have a chance winning a PGA Tour Event. The golfer would be Woods.

>

> In terms of Tiger - he would be at his peak as a player. The question is if Tiger Woods played perfect (or near perfect) golf for 4 rounds (which he did do during his career) then how many clubs would he need to win?

>

> Let's say he plays with the big dog if he's playing his best golf. I'm thinking..

>

> 1 wood (driver)

> 5 iron

> 50 degree wedge

> Putter

>

> 4 clubs and he gets the W playing perfect golf on the right course. Course dependant that 50 degree wedge may have to be a 9 iron or 8 iron.

>

> Thoughts?

Must be a really slow day on the forum.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @iBanesto said:

> I don't think Tiger would win any top event with a reduced set e.g 5 clubs only.

>

> He would be sacrificing options and most importantly confidence in his game.

>

> I'm sure someone has won with 12 or 13 clubs?

Presumably there have been lots of winners who carried 14, but only ended up using 13 or 12 or maybe even 11 during the week.

I’ve never heard of a modern pro who carried less than 14, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

> @cdnglf said:

> > @iBanesto said:

> > I don't think Tiger would win any top event with a reduced set e.g 5 clubs only.

> >

> > He would be sacrificing options and most importantly confidence in his game.

> >

> > I'm sure someone has won with 12 or 13 clubs?

>

> Presumably there have been lots of winners who carried 14, but only ended up using 13 or 12 or maybe even 11 during the week.

>

> I’ve never heard of a modern pro who carried less than 14, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

Modern pros are cookie cutters with big sponsorship deals. Their club sponsor would probably be furious if they carried under 14. Carrying 14 must be in the contract. Doesn't mean they all use or need 14.

> @mocokid said:

> driver for bombing, then 4 wedges, then putter. That's today's PGA tour. Throw in an occasional 7 iron from 180. so that's 7? clubs. Rinse and repeat.

Exactly my point. If you try to bomb the driver on all par 4's you can hit a wedge in. Bomb it on the par 5's and 5 iron can get you there. 5 iron and wedge are both workable on par 3's of all types. I think 4 clubs for prime Woods is doable, I've said that about infinite times now but good posts keep getting me coming back...lol

Would be nice to have actual numbers. What's the fewest number of clubs a player has actually hit to win a pro tournament or to have low score in a round? For example, on some courses a player won't use driver. So let's assume the course set up doesn't take driver out of the bag. 4 par 5s, 4 par 3s, and 10 longish par 4s. Weather can change club selection. My 2 cents is they need

1. Something long off the tee

2. Putter

3. Something for sand

4. Something for hacking out of the rough when driver misses the fairway

5. Something for second shots on par 5s

6. Something for approach shots to the green

So I'd try

Driver

3h

6h or 6i

8i

58w

Putter

> @Naptime said:

> Would be nice to have actual numbers. What's the fewest number of clubs a player has actually hit to win a pro tournament or to have low score in a round? For example, on some courses a player won't use driver. So let's assume the course set up doesn't take driver out of the bag. 4 par 5s, 4 par 3s, and 10 longish par 4s. Weather can change club selection. My 2 cents is they need

> 1. Something long off the tee

> 2. Putter

> 3. Something for sand

> 4. Something for hacking out of the rough when driver misses the fairway

> 5. Something for second shots on par 5s

> 6. Something for approach shots to the green

>

> So I'd try

>

> Driver

> 3h

> 6h or 6i

> 8i

> 58w

> Putter

>

>

3 and 4,5 and 6 can be covered with 50 degree wedge plus 5 iron. Add in driver for 1 and putter for 2 and you only have 4 clubs anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @zmosnot said:

> > 8-9. I play with 9 on a regular basis and do t hardly notice any scoring change.

>

> And won how many pro tournaments?

>

> What 99% of golfers would experience just doesn’t relate to the question.

But if we talking TW 1.0, if he dropped one wedge, his 8, 6, ,4 irons and his 3 wood, between joking down/hooding and adding loft, not hard to see him winning. Guy had every shot, pros admit he had shots they just didn’t have.

They should ask *him the question. Wonder what he would say. Be like,

In my prime? Gimme a 2i, wedge, and the Scotty and I’d kill those guys ; )

I broke 80 today with 3 clubs on a 6200 course. I hit my driver 220 tops.

Going to be honest. If Tiger wanted to at his best he could have played out of bunkers and putted with a 6. Hitting cuts, fades, draws etc with the club too including spinning cuts.

I'm going to be blunt and say with just 6 iron, driver then 2000 pebble he would have had an outside chance. The fact I'm saying this is scarcely believable but Tiger is the greatest player that ever played in my view and capable of playing some majestic golf with solely driver and 6 iron at his very best.

There's no denying that Tiger managed to achieve all he did whilst many were trying to pull him back into their net. Weird how good of a player he managed to be despite all of this. I do wonder how good he would have been left handed at his best also.

I took 6i, driver and putter to shoot what I did. I seriously can imagine Tiger gaming 6i, driver at his best and being competitive when peaking. So long as he caddied his own bag doing this, read his own putts and played his own game.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @zmosnot said:

> > 8-9. I play with 9 on a regular basis and do t hardly notice any scoring change.

>

> And won how many pro tournaments?

>

> What 99% of golfers would experience just doesn’t relate to the question.

Yeah it doesn't considering Tiger woods was the most creative and powerful shot maker of all time. He could have lost more clubs than any of us and still scored just as (or close to as) well.

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > @zmosnot said:

> > > 8-9. I play with 9 on a regular basis and do t hardly notice any scoring change.

> >

> > And won how many pro tournaments?

> >

> > What 99% of golfers would experience just doesn’t relate to the question.

>

> But if we talking TW 1.0, if he dropped one wedge, his 8, 6, ,4 irons and his 3 wood, between joking down/hooding and adding loft, not hard to see him winning. Guy had every shot, pros admit he had shots they just didn’t have.

>

> They should ask *him the question. Wonder what he would say. Be like,

>

> In my prime? Gimme a 2i, wedge, and the Scotty and I’d kill those guys ; )

>

>

>

I’ll just say I would have loved to watch him try and would have laughed at the vanquished if he won!

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > @zmosnot said:

> > > > 8-9. I play with 9 on a regular basis and do t hardly notice any scoring change.

> > >

> > > And won how many pro tournaments?

> > >

> > > What 99% of golfers would experience just doesn’t relate to the question.

> >

> > But if we talking TW 1.0, if he dropped one wedge, his 8, 6, ,4 irons and his 3 wood, between joking down/hooding and adding loft, not hard to see him winning. Guy had every shot, pros admit he had shots they just didn’t have.

> >

> > They should ask *him the question. Wonder what he would say. Be like,

> >

> > In my prime? Gimme a 2i, wedge, and the Scotty and I’d kill those guys ; )

> >

> >

> >

>

> I’ll just say I would have loved to watch him try and would have laughed at the vanquished if he won!

Shame he didn't. The only way to really trump Tiger and Nicklaus is to dominate even for a short window with a short set. Imagine player carries his own clubs and bag and wins in a major. I would love that.

Tiger 1.0 would have had a chance on a soft easier PGA course. Playing a US Open course with firm greens would be pretty difficult with a short set. I could see him winning with 10 clubs maybe, but he would be at a big disadvantage on a tough course. On a soft course he might have had a chance with 7 or 8 clubs.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @bscinstnct said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > @zmosnot said:

> > > > 8-9. I play with 9 on a regular basis and do t hardly notice any scoring change.

> > >

> > > And won how many pro tournaments?

> > >

> > > What 99% of golfers would experience just doesn’t relate to the question.

> >

> > But if we talking TW 1.0, if he dropped one wedge, his 8, 6, ,4 irons and his 3 wood, between joking down/hooding and adding loft, not hard to see him winning. Guy had every shot, pros admit he had shots they just didn’t have.

> >

> > They should ask *him the question. Wonder what he would say. Be like,

> >

> > In my prime? Gimme a 2i, wedge, and the Scotty and I’d kill those guys ; )

> >

> >

> >

>

> I’ll just say I would have loved to watch him try and would have laughed at the vanquished if he won!

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly