2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Classic club players/collectors, is your collection focused?

I’m curious if you guys here that have multiple sets of classic clubs, do you collect from only certain periods? Brands? Are you looking for rarity or something that is playable?

My classic journey started by buying a set of 1992 Macgregor CB-92 irons and a Wizard 600 putter about 3 years ago. I had some wonderful rounds with these simplified tools of the game I decided I should go a step further and get some persimmon woods. Well, that then lead to vintage irons, and then vintage putters and wedges.

Now, I have focused my collection mostly on 1950’s clubs. It seems to be the golden age of high quality, American made goods. Whether it is cars, guitars, or golf clubs I feel the 1950’s was really the time in the USA when everything was made to the highest standard. Plus, the 1950’s into the early 60’s seems to be the golden age of golf, the passing of the torch from Hogan, Snead, Nelson to Arnie, Jack, & Player. Macgregor woods from the 1950’s are fantastic and iron designs from that time are very playable today.

So, what is your collection focused on and why?

My collection is focused on... er... nothing! As you saw from our round together, that bag had 70's Stan Thompson, 80's Hogan, 60's Macgregor, and 50's Spalding. Of course I lean toward Hogan for no real good reason... Radials + 3.5 generations of Apex (Edge Pro= 0.5).

But I can't grow the collection beyond the storage at the moment... even though on craigslist right now a set of Spalding RTJ pyratones 1-9 for $30 are calling my name...

• Like 2

Do not really consider myself a collector, more of a gatherer. I have no grand design of a plan or theme. Focus is finding items of interest, as inexpensively as possible. Therein lies the challenge, and the enjoyment. Loss track of the number of implements that I've found by so doing. Multiple iron sets. Many a persimmon. Putters. Not display quality, but in pretty decent shape. Certainly players. And with irons, enjoy the process of making them look as good as possible again through a modest restoration. Furthermore, I do not need to have clubs that are in such pristine condition that I would be concerned with inflicting damage if I were to take them out to play. I'm really not that good of a golfer.

But is often the case, I never get around to playing them. Have my favorites that I rely on when taking classic wood and blade afield. So I look at them for a couple of years, then sell them off to someone else (typically via eBay). Hopefully, make a buck or three of ROI in the process. Not that interested anymore in having 20 sets of irons around that never get played. Guess the criteria is I'll hang on to clubs that will be played every once in awhile. No one in my golfing circle has the slightest interest or fascination with old golf clubs. Showing someone a set of a Mac Colokrom irons is met with yawns of disinterest. It's entirely a solo endeavor.

As close as I would come to a "collection" of sorts is I acquire old(er) putters. Bullseyes, Spalding T.P.M.'s, classic Pings, 8802 style. Whatever I run across that can be had for > $5.00, and has modicum of recognition as being a quality implement. Amassed a couple of large bags full now. That basically just set by the workbench and I fool around with them on the basement carpet putting green periodically.

The one bag of clubs that I wouldn't mind assembling is an all Ping Eye 2 bag someday. Not exactly vintage, but certainly classic (IMHO). Already have the woods, SW and putter(s) covered. Simply a matter of finding the irons (green dot) in reasonably decent shape. On the cheap. BeCu better yet. One day, maybe. And still wouldn't mind filling out the Ping BeNi ISI's. One day, maybe.

Don't know if this ramble makes any sense. Didn't know the first thing about old golf clubs before stumbling in the door of WRX in search of info on a Ping 85029 Anser I had found at a thrift store. The process has been illuminating and historical to say the least. A scant 6 years ago. Don't know what I'm looking for (gathering), but now at least, I know it when I see it. To be continued.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

My main interest is in UK made irons between the end of the WW2 and the start of the metal wood era, although I do have some earlier than this and a couple of sets of MacGregors, a set of Brownings and a set of US made Slazengers. I've also acquired various woods (mostly laminated as these dominated the UK market) and putters.

Even here in the UK the best American clubs are generally those collected and for good reason as they're top quality, but some of the UK clubs are very good too.

There's very little information for UK made clubs, nothing remotely like the Kaplan guides, so I've started compiling a database of manufacturers and models in the above date range. It's not easy as there's little information out there, even in magazine adverts where I've noticed that the glossiest adverts are usually from big American names, a lack of good marketing might be one of several reasons why the UK companies slowly folded or were merged.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

> @Jiggered said:

> My main interest is in UK made irons between the end of the WW2 and the start of the metal wood era, although I do have some earlier than this and a couple of sets of MacGregors, a set of Brownings and a set of US made Slazengers. I've also acquired various woods (mostly laminated as these dominated the UK market) and putters.

>

> Even here in the UK the best American clubs are generally those collected and for good reason as they're top quality, but some of the UK clubs are very good too.

>

> There's very little information for UK made clubs, nothing remotely like the Kaplan guides, so I've started compiling a database of manufacturers and models in the above date range. **It's not easy as there's little information out there, even in magazine adverts where I've noticed that the glossiest adverts are usually from big American names, a lack of good marketing might be one of several reasons why the UK companies slowly folded or were merged.**

It's certainly interesting (and sad) to see how British golf manufacturing declined (along with just about every other sort of manufacturing). When I took up golf as a junior, lots of people had British clubs (Sayers, Slazenger, Ryder etc.), but Japanese brands were certainly on the rise (Mizuno, and I started with Daiwa irons), and of course American brands like Titleist, Wilson, Ping, Lynx (lots of Lynx irons!), Taylormade (especially after metal woods started taking over), and a bit of RAM. Oddly, I don't remember seeing any Ben Hogan or Macgregor stuff. This would be in the mid to late Eighties.

• Like 1

As for the topic, I am focussing on Japanese woods from the Eighties, and American irons from the Seventies, Eighties and Nineties, and Mizuno irons from the Eighties. Mainly because that's the stuff that's easily available. I have some older stuff, but not much, and I avoid hickory as it's a rabbit hole I don't need to go down, and hickory stuff is rarer in Japan anyway.

Availability and cost guide me more than loyalty to a particular period.

• Like 1

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @Jiggered said:

> > My main interest is in UK made irons between the end of the WW2 and the start of the metal wood era, although I do have some earlier than this and a couple of sets of MacGregors, a set of Brownings and a set of US made Slazengers. I've also acquired various woods (mostly laminated as these dominated the UK market) and putters.

> >

> > Even here in the UK the best American clubs are generally those collected and for good reason as they're top quality, but some of the UK clubs are very good too.

> >

> > There's very little information for UK made clubs, nothing remotely like the Kaplan guides, so I've started compiling a database of manufacturers and models in the above date range. **It's not easy as there's little information out there, even in magazine adverts where I've noticed that the glossiest adverts are usually from big American names, a lack of good marketing might be one of several reasons why the UK companies slowly folded or were merged.**

>

> It's certainly interesting (and sad) to see how British golf manufacturing declined (along with just about every other sort of manufacturing). When I took up golf as a junior, lots of people had British clubs (Sayers, Slazenger, Ryder etc.), but Japanese brands were certainly on the rise (Mizuno, and I started with Daiwa irons), and of course American brands like Titleist, Wilson, Ping, Lynx (lots of Lynx irons!), Taylormade (especially after metal woods started taking over), and a bit of RAM. Oddly, I don't remember seeing any Ben Hogan or Macgregor stuff. This would be in the mid to late Eighties.

It's funny that in the 1980s magazine copies I have you see lots of full page ads for Wilson, MacGregor, Lynx, Hogan, Daiwa, even Powerbilt, yet apart from Wilson very few of these clubs find their way onto UK ebay (my barometer of what was popular), I put it down to cost as they were significantly more expensive than the average UK brands.

There are some full page ads from UK brands, most commonly Dunlop, Ben Sayers, John Letters and Ryder, but others are noticeable only by their absence, perhaps most of all is Slazenger who rarely seemed to spend on advertising.

• Like 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

> @Jiggered said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @Jiggered said:

> > > My main interest is in UK made irons between the end of the WW2 and the start of the metal wood era, although I do have some earlier than this and a couple of sets of MacGregors, a set of Brownings and a set of US made Slazengers. I've also acquired various woods (mostly laminated as these dominated the UK market) and putters.

> > >

> > > Even here in the UK the best American clubs are generally those collected and for good reason as they're top quality, but some of the UK clubs are very good too.

> > >

> > > There's very little information for UK made clubs, nothing remotely like the Kaplan guides, so I've started compiling a database of manufacturers and models in the above date range. **It's not easy as there's little information out there, even in magazine adverts where I've noticed that the glossiest adverts are usually from big American names, a lack of good marketing might be one of several reasons why the UK companies slowly folded or were merged.**

> >

> > It's certainly interesting (and sad) to see how British golf manufacturing declined (along with just about every other sort of manufacturing). When I took up golf as a junior, lots of people had British clubs (Sayers, Slazenger, Ryder etc.), but Japanese brands were certainly on the rise (Mizuno, and I started with Daiwa irons), and of course American brands like Titleist, Wilson, Ping, Lynx (lots of Lynx irons!), Taylormade (especially after metal woods started taking over), and a bit of RAM. Oddly, I don't remember seeing any Ben Hogan or Macgregor stuff. This would be in the mid to late Eighties.

>

> It's funny that in the 1980s magazine copies I have you see lots of full page ads for Wilson, MacGregor, Lynx, Hogan, Daiwa, even Powerbilt, yet apart from Wilson very few of these clubs find their way onto UK ebay (my barometer of what was popular), I put it down to cost as they were significantly more expensive than the average UK brands.

> There are some full page ads from UK brands, most commonly Dunlop, Ben Sayers, John Letters and Ryder, but others are noticeable only by their absence, perhaps most of all is Slazenger who rarely seemed to spend on advertising.

Yep. and even with Wilson, I remember it was mainly people with Wilson laminates (best golfer in my club used a Wilson laminated 3w), but I don't recall seeing many sets of Wilson irons. Woods, yes; irons, no.

Lynx irons were massively popular, but the wealthier members of the club often had full Ping bags, including the big white staff bags, loaded onto an electric trolley.

The best junior golfers and young scratch team players latched on to Mizuno before everyone else. I remember our Junior captain showing off his TP-9s (pretty sure they were 9s). My first proper set were Daiwa heel-toe weighted cast irons, and my brother got some Ryders (Ryder III), irons and woods. I had a beautiful Mizuno persimmon driver that later got nicked, and a graphite 3w. May also have been Mizuno. As in the head was graphite or kevlar or something like that. I loved that club, but one day it just cracked on me. I also had a nice laminated 5w, but I can't remember the make. That got nicked along with the Mizuno driver.

There were also a lot of EYE2 clones out there, but I've no idea where they came from. My brother later got a set of EYE2 clones. Still has them in fact. I hit them about 6~7 years ago and found them pretty easy to play.

I'm not so much a collector, similar to Fella's example above. I've acquired a fair amount of sets, but not with the intention of establishing a collection.

My focus is largely the 1980s, into the 90s, with an emphasis on Ram. Talk about stating the obvious, LOL. The 80s seems to be Ram's heyday, which is the only real reason for focusing on that decade; there's nothing special for me about the 80s, otherwise. Particularly as I didn't start playing golf until the end of the century. I've picked up iron sets, persimmon woods, wedges, and even a couple putters.

Also have a couple Mizuno sets (MS-11 and MP-37). The former was acquired as an attempt to play one set from this point forward (yeah, that worked) in the mid-2000s. The MP-37 were a set I won in a drawing on GEA, unloaded in a fugue moment, and recently re-acquired (not the exact same set) upon finding them in good condition at 2nd Swing.

One reason for not delving farther back in time than the 80s is that, due to my shortish arm length and six foot height, I've been playing clubs that are both longer and considerably more upright from the specs of those older (say, 50s or 60s) clubs. I've not wanted to wind up with something unplayably heavy, once I got it set to proper length, or requiring too much lie adjustment. Color me skittish. :)

Went through a LOT of irons 15 years ago or so, buying/selling/trading. All sorts of brands, Wilson, MacGregor, Precept, etc. Got kind of silly after a while. I don't even want to think how many I went through. Still have some of them, including a 1-PW set of 78 Staffs that I'm not sure will get played. Oh well...

Short story made long...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

edited

Edited by RobotDoctor

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I found myself being early 90's to early 2K centric in my desires. Think a lot of it has to do with arc of interest in the game. Many of the clubs I drooled over but knew I could not play, lol. Also believe much of it went unappreciated, that there were some great clubs made then and stand up well to newer and older alike and pristine examples were readily at hand. There might be a few older or newer sets I desire, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I have save for one more unicorn, which would be the T stamped Titleists.

I started my collection primarily with Hogan blades. I read "Five Lessons" when I started playing the game and became a little infatuated with Hogan stuff. I found a set of 73 Apex's at a garage sale and then just started adding whenever I stumbled into a good deal. About three years ago I realized that I was crazy for passing on other classic sets so since then I've added a bunch of MacGregor, Wilson, Titleist, Mizuno, Golden Ram etc... I'm interested in any quality blade made since steel shafts came in to use. I've also picked up a bunch of Persimmon's, wedges and putters along the way. When I find modern game improvement stuff I usually buy it with the intent to resell, but rarely get around to doing it.

With me on irons but it is mostly Macgregor but I have Hogan , Dunlop, Ping and Slazenger. Woods I have many different brands but I am mostly a Power Bilt and Toney Penna fan. I get around to it eventually but I try to play or at least hit my stuff. Putters I have over 100 different putters different brands. Wedges I prefer Cleveland 588s but am really fond of Wilson JPs----- For me it is not a focused collection because I like old golf clubs. I only have 1 club that I will never hit and it has never been hit, that is a Toney Penna driver a friend gave me along with it's history and it has never been hit. Besided tee hee hee I have 2 identical ones like it that have been hit. But yeah I love the old stuff

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

My "Collection" if you call it that, is really about finding a great deal on a club that has a specific memory of place and time in my life. It's kinda like remembering and being fond of certain songs or music. They take me back to places and times in my past. They're memories basically. Case in point...a few years ago, I acquired a set of MacGregor Reverse Draft irons and woods. Not a collectible set AT ALL! But the memory for me was that I had sold this set to a member at the club I worked at about 25 years earlier when I was in the golf business...this exact set...still had the shaft bands from the country club with the members name on them. I ran into them 25+ years later in a Goodwill over 100 miles away, so I just had to have them.

Other sets that I have are just sets that always appealed to me or that I had played in the past. And that includes putters and wedges. Stuff that when I was in my golfing prime, always appealed to me...Hogan Redlines, Ping Eye 2's, Founders Club 200 Series, Palmer Standards, Hogan Apex PC, Burke Bombers, etc... I don't know that that makes up a "collection" but they are all clubs that I think are pretty cool. And thats good enough for me!

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

> @Bigarch said:

> My "Collection" if you call it that, is really about finding a great deal on a club that has a specific memory of place and time in my life. It's kinda like remembering and being fond of certain songs or music. They take me back to places and times in my past. They're memories basically. Case in point...a few years ago, I acquired a set of MacGregor Reverse Draft irons and woods. Not a collectible set AT ALL! But the memory for me was that I had sold this set to a member at the club I worked at about 25 years earlier when I was in the golf business...this exact set...still had the shaft bands from the country club with the members name on them. I ran into them 25+ years later in a Goodwill over 100 miles away, so I just had to have them.

>

> Other sets that I have are just sets that always appealed to me or that I had played in the past. And that includes putters and wedges. Stuff that when I was in my golfing prime, always appealed to me...Hogan Redlines, Ping Eye 2's, Founders Club 200 Series, Palmer Standards, Hogan Apex PC, Burke Bombers, etc... I don't know that that makes up a "collection" but they are all clubs that I think are pretty cool. And thats good enough for me!

Very well stated---- Yep I run up on clubs that remind me of some of the hustlers and regular players that played at my old man's course----- Good example the other night I ran up on a old Spalding Cash In that I have had a while picked it off the pile about 4 years ago. Reminded me of a hustler named "Whitey" ( nothing racial he had snow white hair even as a young man) he could putt the lights out with that thing. He had told me in the 70s he had putted with that thing since the early 50s---- He has passed on now but last time I saw him was around 99 or so and he was still putting the lights out with that thing. Another one is everytime I pick up or see a Bulls Eye it reminds me of a guy named Charlie Simpson who was one of the old man's cronies as was "Whitey"----- He putted for years with that old Bulls Eye and was probably the greatest money putter I ever saw. Charlie passed around 79 or so---- All those old hustlers in my old man's circle waer like fun loving uncles and big brothers to me. Charlie was also one of the best pure ball strikers I have seen to this day. He could stand on the practice tee and call his shots fade or draw or straight.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @Bigarch said:

> > My "Collection" if you call it that, is really about finding a great deal on a club that has a specific memory of place and time in my life. It's kinda like remembering and being fond of certain songs or music. They take me back to places and times in my past. They're memories basically. Case in point...a few years ago, I acquired a set of MacGregor Reverse Draft irons and woods. Not a collectible set AT ALL! But the memory for me was that I had sold this set to a member at the club I worked at about 25 years earlier when I was in the golf business...this exact set...still had the shaft bands from the country club with the members name on them. I ran into them 25+ years later in a Goodwill over 100 miles away, so I just had to have them.

> >

> > Other sets that I have are just sets that always appealed to me or that I had played in the past. And that includes putters and wedges. Stuff that when I was in my golfing prime, always appealed to me...Hogan Redlines, Ping Eye 2's, Founders Club 200 Series, Palmer Standards, Hogan Apex PC, Burke Bombers, etc... I don't know that that makes up a "collection" but they are all clubs that I think are pretty cool. And thats good enough for me!

>

> Very well stated---- Yep I run up on clubs that remind me of some of the hustlers and regular players that played at my old man's course----- Good example the other night I ran up on a old Spalding Cash In that I have had a while picked it off the pile about 4 years ago. Reminded me of a hustler named "Whitey" ( nothing racial he had snow white hair even as a young man) he could putt the lights out with that thing. He had told me in the 70s he had putted with that thing since the early 50s---- He has passed on now but last time I saw him was around 99 or so and he was still putting the lights out with that thing. Another one is everytime I pick up or see a Bulls Eye it reminds me of a guy named Charlie Simpson who was one of the old man's cronies as was "Whitey"----- He putted for years with that old Bulls Eye and was probably the greatest money putter I ever saw. Charlie passed around 79 or so---- All those old hustlers in my old man's circle waer like fun loving uncles and big brothers to me. Charlie was also one of the best pure ball strikers I have seen to this day. He could stand on the practice tee and call his shots fade or draw or straight.

Honestly, Stu you could write a book about Carolina golf, I know a book was already written, but I'm sure you could do better. Never mind Charley Penna's 2 books at least, LOLOL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I started seriously golfing this spring and thought about going to buy a new set of pings, get properly fitted, the entire 9 yards.

I didn't want to break or destroy my deceased father's Ping Eye 2s whom he inherited from his deceased father.  Then my golfing buddy said, "Play em' your dad isn't coming back for them."  I did and I had a lot of fun!

My wife's uncle is hell of a amateur golfer.  Won some serious tournaments and is now teaching his son and law how to golf.  I tagged along and somehow beat the prodigy with my dad's old Ping Eye 2s.  

I'm a guitarist who plays vintage gear or if not as accurate reproductions to the old as one can get.  I've often played gigs where the other bands will load in and off the stage and the guitarists will unhook pedals, effects, all sorts of gear and comment to me, "you only have 1 guitar and an amp."   By the end of the night I will have more people asking me "how did you get that sound."  It's pure talent with my hands and well made equipment. 

Now I will NEVER get to that point as a golfer but if I have a goal it's to beat my buddies, co-workers, and family members(sportingly and in good humor) with old clubs to their modern space ship looking putters and range  finders.

I went backwards from the PIng Eye 2s and got hooked on Wilson.  It was what Sam and Arnie played so why not?  I had a few nice 50s sets but I've sold them and here's the answer to the actual question if you've followed along.  Focused mostly on 1963-1968 Staffs and 1984-1989.  I feel those all share similar DNA and I enjoy the way they look, feel, and sound.  

Who knows where this journey will take me but that's what my focus is on.  Collecting "mint sets" of those and "gamer sets."

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

So you guys have it easy, try collecting lefty gear when you live in Australia.  There was a significant tariff put on imported golf gear from post WW2 until the 1970's so all those golden era Macgregors only made it here in very small quantities (individuals bringing clubs in).  The locally made gear was pretty good with Spalding, Slazenger and some local companies making woods and irons.  Anyways I've managed to get a reasonable collection of 653/653 T's, from the late 40's thru to EoM's.  Then it switches to M80W's and LH2W's.  Throw in a pretty unique set of late 1940's Wilson custom woods.  Iron wise I wanted sets that I thought were a bit iconic.  Spalding 1953 Synchrodynes, 4 or 5 sets of Wilson Staff's, 1960, Bullet Backs, FG51's (x2) and Tour Blades.  Then there are a couple of sets of Muirfield 20th's, Ping BeCu Eye 2's (I peaked at 7 sets of Eye 2's a few years back) a rare set of lefty 1976 Maxfli Made in Australia Blades, Ram Tour Grinds and probably a few others I've forgotten about.  I am now working through finishing off about a dozen different Macgregors that I acquired which were in various stages of being restored.  My biggest issue these days is finding enough room in the garage for the collection and the clubs I'm doing work on for friends.

• Like 2

I would say I was far more focused when I started than where I stand now. Like most things, as time carried on, I learned more about classic equipment and correspondingly my interests grew and transformed. Originally I wanted a collection just like RobotDoctor, only the most classic models and all of them in pristine condition. But somewhere along the way I became more like Stephen8802 and curiosity got the best of me. If Toney Penna was at MacGregor during their heydey, surely he took some of that genius with him to his own company so why not add a Mod65 and a TP80 to the collection as well? And while I'm at it, Roger Cleveland and Dave Wood owned the 80's and 90's persimmon market so why not get a sampling from them as well? At this point my collection is bigger than I ever imagined when I started, but I've thoroughly enjoyed building it.

• Like 3

Good to see all the varied collections and collecting types out there.    

Personally, for irons I’ve been focusing more on 1980’s sets as most have cheap rubber grips and I don’t feel guilty extending them to make them playable for me.  

I still love 1950’s woods but have mostly limited myself to Powerbilt and Stan Thompson sets in original condition and full 1-4 sets.    I’ve gotten a bit crazy with the Stan Thompson’s though.  I actually just bought a ladies set of Stan Thompson’s because they were a full 1-4 set in all original condition and I felt like I had to rescue them!

• Like 3

Really enjoying this thread and all the collecting histories.

For me it started when I returned to golf after an extended absence. Equipment had changed beyond all recognition; massive drivers, game improvement irons, hybrids(?!)and putters resembling crashed bi-planes. I knew I couldn't adapt - nor did I want to - and so decided I would rather spend the equivalent on assembling my dream garage of sets I lusted after but could never dream to own in my youth. 

I set out with a very focused list of about 10 sets. However, in the search I stumbled across other sets that triggered memories, sets I knew nothing off and made me curious and sets so cheap I just couldn't say no!

As the sets grew so did the temptation to match with age related woods and so the collection grew......

My collection is now focused only in so much as it spans 1930 (steel shaft and "related" sets) through to circa 1990 (game improvement muscling in) but pretty well everything in that period is fair game and represented.

Collecting for me is about owning and playing so, although I do have some never been hit clubs, most show their history allowing me to enjoy adding to the patina and not worrying about spoiling perfection. I thoroughly respect those who do seek perfection and confess to some envy in that regard.

Talking of which, is it just me or is the carbon spot on the crown of RobotDoctor's M85 not the most beautiful thing you have ever seen?

Please don't tell my wife I said that!

• Like 4

I'm a little curious about one thing, has anyone else's collection expanded exponentially this year?  Working from home thanks to the pandemic meant that every so often I'd combine being bored senseless on yet another Teams call with a little surfing of the likes of Ebay.  Melbourne had a very hard lockdown for 14 weeks which meant there was no golf and basically you were stuck in the house so I had a lot of time to tinker with old clubs and to be honest it was probably the thing that kept me sane.  A fried of mine in the US pinged me in March and asked about some old clubs as he was thinking of buying a few.  8 months later and he has 30 sets of Hogan irons, a really good collection of classic Macs and two Wood Bros Texans.

edited

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on