** OFFICIAL REVIEW: MITSUBISHI MMT Iron Shafts ***** FINAL REVIEW Post #2 is UP

J13

> @ian-500 said:

> I may have asked before (can't remember!) but has anyone compared these to the OT Tour iron shafts?

OTI, not having the MMT Metal Mesh in the tip feel a bit lighter thru the middle of the shaft, if you know what I mean. Compared the 90 MMT S and the OTI 95 S and there is just a lack of feel/to me/with the OTI compared to the MMT, can feel the head more in the MMT and ball flight a bit lower traj in the MMT also...not in bad way, just say a bit lower, but MMT was higher than steel.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

From those that have tried this shaft would you recommend I try a 105x or 125x? I want to purchase one to try out in a spare 7 iron head I have to compare. Currently play kbs tour S but get too much height and spin if I go after one. 7 iron ss is was 85mph yesterday. I've been happy with the weight of the kbs shafts but feel anything below 105 is too light for my swing.

From the comments on here I have thought about going 125tx but soft stepping it 1 time.

> @DODGEMANIAC32123 said:

> From those that have tried this shaft would you recommend I try a 105x or 125x? I want to purchase one to try out in a spare 7 iron head I have to compare. Currently play kbs tour S but get too much height and spin if I go after one. 7 iron ss is was 85mph yesterday. I've been happy with the weight of the kbs shafts but feel anything below 105 is too light for my swing.

>

> From the comments on here I have thought about going 125tx but soft stepping it 1 time.

MMT 105TX is 113g, vs the 105g for the 105S. FYI

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS @ 9º w/ Tensei Pro White 1K 50x

Fairway: Callaway Epic Max 3W @ 15º w/ MMT 70s

Fairway: Callaway Epic Max Heavenwood @ 20º w/ MMT 80s

Irons: Callaway Apex TCB 4-A w/ Catalyst 100 6.0

Wedges: Callaway JAWS Forged 56º/60º w/ True Temper S200

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

> @J13 said:

> > @Jbigda said:

> > Any idea how these compare to the new Tensei White AV2 that we’re recently launched?

>

> I'm not sure, i'd ask Mitsubishi. MMT is their flagship iron shaft while the AV2 stuff looks like a standard graphite option with a different profile. To be honest I didn't know what the AV2 was until you mentioned it.

Surely OT is their flagship.....

DR: Taylormade M5 9* + Diamana R50x @ 47 3/4".

FW: Mizuno ST190 TS 15* + Diamana BF70tx @ 43".
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22* + White Tie HX4 @ 40 1/2".
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Cleveland RTX3 52*/58* + Modus 130.
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

Come on lads and lassies, surely someone can compare OT Tour and MMT? From what I've read, OT Tour is a blueboard profile, and MMT more whiteboard?

DR: Taylormade M5 9* + Diamana R50x @ 47 3/4".

FW: Mizuno ST190 TS 15* + Diamana BF70tx @ 43".
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22* + White Tie HX4 @ 40 1/2".
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Cleveland RTX3 52*/58* + Modus 130.
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

> @ian-500 said:

> Come on lads and lassies, surely someone can compare OT Tour and MMT? From what I've read, OT Tour is a blueboard profile, and MMT more whiteboard?

I wouldn’t say the OT Tour nor Thump iron or even the MMT is the flagship ron shaft. They are all super high quality irons shaft using a different construction method. The OT Tour uses Tow prepreg, Thump uses traditional sheet prepreg and MMT uses sheet prepreg with metal mesh added. Each is a premium product however they will have distinctly different loading patterns, different playing characteristics and different feels.

From the testing I did eons ago, OT Tour felt light and easy to swing. Extremely easy to hit with good launch, spin and dispersion. Thump is a beast even in the 95S and 105S. It was a great feeling shaft but too firm feeling for my swing. It was work for me to get the shaft to launch at a playable level. MMT will be tested tomorrow in my hybrid.

Callaway Epic Speed TD 10.5° driver Tensei Pro White 1K 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

> @noodle3872 said:

> > @ian-500 said:

> > Come on lads and lassies, surely someone can compare OT Tour and MMT? From what I've read, OT Tour is a blueboard profile, and MMT more whiteboard?

>

> I wouldn’t say the OT Tour nor Thump iron or even the MMT is the flagship ron shaft. They are all super high quality irons shaft using a different construction method. The OT Tour uses Tow prepreg, Thump uses traditional sheet prepreg and MMT uses sheet prepreg with metal mesh added. Each is a premium product however they will have distinctly different loading patterns, different playing characteristics and different feels.

>

> From the testing I did eons ago, OT Tour felt light and easy to swing. Extremely easy to hit with good launch, spin and dispersion. Thump is a beast even in the 95S and 105S. It was a great feeling shaft but too firm feeling for my swing. It was work for me to get the shaft to launch at a playable level. MMT will be tested tomorrow in my hybrid.

>

I think the MMT is their flagship iron shaft for players who want the benefits of graphite with the playing characteristics and balance of steel.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

> @J13 said:

> > @noodle3872 said:

> > > @ian-500 said:

> > > Come on lads and lassies, surely someone can compare OT Tour and MMT? From what I've read, OT Tour is a blueboard profile, and MMT more whiteboard?

> >

> > I wouldn’t say the OT Tour nor Thump iron or even the MMT is the flagship ron shaft. They are all super high quality irons shaft using a different construction method. The OT Tour uses Tow prepreg, Thump uses traditional sheet prepreg and MMT uses sheet prepreg with metal mesh added. Each is a premium product however they will have distinctly different loading patterns, different playing characteristics and different feels.

> >

> > From the testing I did eons ago, OT Tour felt light and easy to swing. Extremely easy to hit with good launch, spin and dispersion. Thump is a beast even in the 95S and 105S. It was a great feeling shaft but too firm feeling for my swing. It was work for me to get the shaft to launch at a playable level. MMT will be tested tomorrow in my hybrid.

> >

>

> I think the MMT is their flagship iron shaft for players who want the benefits of graphite with the playing characteristics and balance of steel.

Very true, the MMT Taper may be the first graphite shaft that could get steel shaft diehards to switch over.

Titleist Pro V1

> @noodle3872 said:

> > @J13 said:

> > > @noodle3872 said:

> > > > @ian-500 said:

> > > > Come on lads and lassies, surely someone can compare OT Tour and MMT? From what I've read, OT Tour is a blueboard profile, and MMT more whiteboard?

> > >

> > > I wouldn’t say the OT Tour nor Thump iron or even the MMT is the flagship ron shaft. They are all super high quality irons shaft using a different construction method. The OT Tour uses Tow prepreg, Thump uses traditional sheet prepreg and MMT uses sheet prepreg with metal mesh added. Each is a premium product however they will have distinctly different loading patterns, different playing characteristics and different feels.

> > >

> > > From the testing I did eons ago, OT Tour felt light and easy to swing. Extremely easy to hit with good launch, spin and dispersion. Thump is a beast even in the 95S and 105S. It was a great feeling shaft but too firm feeling for my swing. It was work for me to get the shaft to launch at a playable level. MMT will be tested tomorrow in my hybrid.

> > >

> >

> > I think the MMT is their flagship iron shaft for players who want the benefits of graphite with the playing characteristics and balance of steel.

>

> Very true, the MMT Taper may be the first graphite shaft that could get steel shaft diehards to switch over.

Agree but for that to happen Mitsubishi needs to get the 125TX into fitting shops. They also need a 120S option along with a big marketing campaign. But the shaft tech is there and exists. MMT's are better than steel, at least for me and everyone else that hit them.

• Like 1

Odyssey Versa #6

> @J13 said:

> > @noodle3872 said:

> > > @ian-500 said:

> > > Come on lads and lassies, surely someone can compare OT Tour and MMT? From what I've read, OT Tour is a blueboard profile, and MMT more whiteboard?

> >

> > I wouldn’t say the OT Tour nor Thump iron or even the MMT is the flagship ron shaft. They are all super high quality irons shaft using a different construction method. The OT Tour uses Tow prepreg, Thump uses traditional sheet prepreg and MMT uses sheet prepreg with metal mesh added. Each is a premium product however they will have distinctly different loading patterns, different playing characteristics and different feels.

> >

> > From the testing I did eons ago, OT Tour felt light and easy to swing. Extremely easy to hit with good launch, spin and dispersion. Thump is a beast even in the 95S and 105S. It was a great feeling shaft but too firm feeling for my swing. It was work for me to get the shaft to launch at a playable level. MMT will be tested tomorrow in my hybrid.

> >

>

> I think the MMT is their flagship iron shaft for players who want the benefits of graphite with the playing characteristics and balance of steel.

Agree with this...most fits in this don't actually need graphite for speed or physical reasons, just feels like steel with better dispersion!! No brainer!!

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

After 2 vigorous range sessions and 2 rounds of golf, I am ready to declare the MMT .370 is my favorite hybrid shaft of all time! I’ve used Speeder, GD DI, GD HY, Diamana S+, OTh and way back in the day DG S300. The MMT is so smooth yet feel powerful through the ball. It gets the ball up quick and holds its line well in the wind. Flighting the ball down was a snap too. The MMT felt familiar right off the first swing. It gives me new confidence in my hybrid! I hit a par 5 in 2 today from 210 yards (which is my absolute max distance for hybrid) to 10 feet....made eagle! The height the ball flew was impressive but how quick the ball stopped on the green was even more impressive! The MMT has made my hybrid a weapon again! I wish we were rounding into summer!

Titleist Pro V1

Great to hear and thanks for the feedback. Spring will be here in no time!

Odyssey Versa #6

https://youtu.be/mqEZcJ_Pdf4
i am going to go out on a limb and say this test is a because of this thread. This should help everyone see what @J13 has been saying.
  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

As I stated earlier, I like the feel of taper tip MMT 105 "S" shaft that I was testing in 6 iron. Unfortunately, the extent of wind I face, which is too often, caused me concern with it's mid-bend naturally high trajectory. Also, during all the range time I realized how important it was for me to be very conscious of my fast tempo and transition coming from PX 6.0
When I add trajectory concern on top of the price point of MMT at $100 per shaft, it was going to nearly double the price of my new 620CB/MB irons, but couldn't see double the value. I was able to find MMT shafts at a slightly lower price ea but the added vendor install costs raised the price per shaft back up.
Also, after testing taper tip Steelfiber i110cw "S" (constant weight=cw though the set) with similar torque but mid-high bend, slightly lower trajectory, and tour proven at $53 per shaft, half the price for very similar performance, I could no longer justify the added expense. Fortunately, I was familiar with Aerotech after having Steelfiber i95cw "S" shafts for a short time in my previous 716CB irons. Unfortunately, 95gram weight and stiff tip frequency didn't feel nearly as comfortable as the heavier i110cw "S" specs in my irons, but it works fine in my 2i though.
Had my new irons out for 18 yesterday and even playing partners were curious and impressed with some of my shots. I am excited and can't wait to play again. They feel really smooth at impact, yet the head was able to tell my hands where I was impacting the ball. It was easy to raise or lower trajectory and stop the ball on some fast greens. Even put the 3 iron shaft in my 2 iron at 39.5" and it felt just as smooth.
FYI; in case readers didn't know the SOA technique of combing graphite and steel in iron shafts is not exactly new, it's just trending thanks to the good review by @J13. MMT shafts are nothing short of quality. Thanks again, @J13

• Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

well sounds good for me im looking for a little more height honestly 110 i liked but after i hit 50 and now almost 55 the lighter weight of the sf 95 was a nice transition so hopefully it goes well withe mmc 90. id say its an expensive experiment except theyre going in pxg 0311st so i guess well see. you only live once good luck with your sticks those are beautiful irons

• Like 1

I actually spoke with them a little while back about doing a review with the MMT's. They told me last week it would be dropping soon. I won't spoil it for others but TXG does a great job at getting numbers and doing comparisons.

@Pepperturbo play what works and value is always EXTREMELY important. Glad you found a setup that works for you and my pleasure. Hit em well !

Odyssey Versa #6

Always enjoy Matt and Ian's reviews, but this one wasn't enough. I've played with Matt and I know how solid he hits the ball, but I would have liked to see a deeper dive into the other weight category to see how they performed in his hands, and what his impressions of them were. While some of us could handle the 125TX, seeing how the 105TX or 105S performed would have provided a window as to how each profile reacted.

Would be nice if some of the guys on here who have access to MMT product could find the time to dig in and offer some comparisons to the 105S/TX and 125TX with data. I know I'd appreciate it and others would as well. :)

It would be nice to see them do a deeper test into the MMT if possible. Based on this video though, it's probably not worth paying 2x the price for these vs steel for like 99% of players. Might make a dif. for a +handicap like J13, but probably not for a player like me who's just outside single digits.

I'd really like to see them give the lower weight shaft to a slightly slower swinger and see what happens.

D - Ping G4410+ 9*| Ventus Black 6x

3w - Ping G410* @15.5*| Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

3h - Ping G410 19* | EvenFlow Black 85X or 5w - Cobra SZ 18.5* @20* | Accra FX2.0 380 M5

4h - 818 H2 23* | Ventus Blue 10x

5-GW Cobra Forged CB | Modus 120X

W - SM8 54/12 & 58/8 @59* | S400 Ti

P - Phantom 5.5 or Newport 2 Special Select

Ball - ProV1x

The honest question here is if @J13 was coming out of his own pocket for these would he buy them? I do not need or really want him to answer the question because this is a product review and he did a great job of that. You can tell he has sparked a bunch of interest and people are considering changing. He did exactly what was asked or even hoped for here. You can tell he likes them and feels they make a difference in his game. Which is awesome!!

That being said, the biggest hurdle for graphite iron shafts is the cost. I understand the cost as these are highly technical and have a lot of cost into producing. But at $75-100/shaft for graphite. Very few are going to justify that cost. There are some companies like Mizuno that are starting to offer graphite shafts at no upcharge or very little up charge. The problem there is that they still do not offer graphite shafts for stronger players.

PUTTER; LAB DF2.1

Yup his review has definitely sparked my interest. I probably wouldn't ever shell out $100 a shaft for a whole set, but maaaaybe if it truly did give me a little better dispersion and increased feel, I could see myself paying $100 a shaft for my wedges.

I think as more and more companies start to offer graphite for irons in these heavier weights, the price will go down a little bit. However, I just don't ever see them costing the same as steel, I think they will always be a premium. Where I do see a lot of cool stuff coming into play down the road is for Tour guys or top Ams with making totally "custom profile" graphite based on their swing. I think graphite will also continue to grow with putter tech, too. I could see an OEM partnering up with MCA or whoever to release an insanely stout and heavily counter balanced shaft to pair up with a big heavy head for the 'ultimate' putter or whatever.

3h - Ping G410 19* | EvenFlow Black 85X or 5w - Cobra SZ 18.5* @20* | Accra FX2.0 380 M5

Ball - ProV1x

I completely agree. I think the true awesomeness and potential for graphite in irons is the ability to completely spec iron shafts to an individual. This will be the next "tour issue" thing. I was just thinking the other day that OEMs have gotten very good at producing stuff that both consumers and tour players play that the tour issue or tour only thing has faded to some degree. It is obviously not completely gone. But retail access to the stuff tour players play has greatly increased.

Shafts may be the new frontier of that. I think it is kinda exciting.

PUTTER; LAB DF2.1

Yup. They already kiiiiiind of do this in professional hockey, where retail stick is one thing and what the pro's use might be different in certain areas of the stick based on preference. Something like, the pro uses a less tapered/more tapered area by the heel of the blade, or they use more "reinforcing" layers than retail to make the stick a bit stronger. With wood, stuff like that wasn't really possible as far as I know. CCM sticks are very customizable to the NHL players and this is probably entirely possible because of graphite.

For golf, I also could see shafts becoming the new "distance seller" once people finally realize their 27* 7i is really like a 5i and this whole loft jacking thing becomes just a fad. Being able to make graphite that's as strong as X100 but only weighs 110g and feel supremely better could be marketed pretty heavily toward guys who went into clubs like P790 to retain a little bit of that player's look/feel but still gave them big distance. It may not be "right" for their swing to be using something 20g lighter than what they are used to, but if graphite comes a lot more mainstream, I could see shafts becoming more worthy of marketing. In fact, as time goes on and we pretty much reach the absolute limits of COR, MOI and other design factors, shaft will probably become much more heavily focused on. That, and I Think GEARS will start to become integral to the fitting process, even for Average Joe who walks into Club Champion.

• Like 1

Ball - ProV1x

So far all of my testing and play as produced better results in both sets that I have shafted up...the Epon AF-305 and Apex Pro Dot heads. Also in both the Cobra Tour wedges and MD5s the results have been great. Whereas cost is ALWAYS a factor, it really comes down to performance when testing in the end. IF there is a steel shaft that works as good and feels as efficient, by all means, stay on budget! For those that absolutely need the slightly softer feel, load, impact-less-jarring of the graphite then these are worth a try. 8+ rounds in now and still haven't found a 'con' in the performance or feel of the shafts. Price would be only issue for most players.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Thanks.

• Like 1

PUTTER; LAB DF2.1

Good point. I would assume that there aren't too many guys out there swinging their 6 iron 104 MPH.

Cobra Rad Speed Peacoat 9°, HZRDUS RDX Blue 6s
Titleist TSI2 15°, HZRDUS RDX Black 7s
Callaway XR Pro 20°, Project X LZ s

Srixon ZX5 4 iron , KBS TGI 95
Srixon ZZ7 5-PW, KBS TGI 95 
Ping Glide 3.0 50° & 56° SS, 60° TS, KBS TGI 95 
Ping Ketsch Armlock, BGT Stability

Quick question for @J13 You built the MMT to the same playing length as your Modus 120TX, did you see a major difference in swing weight? Usually graphite will come out lighter and the main reason its always built at +1/2" to help bring the SW back up.
Really thinking hard on a set of these as Ive been having trouble with shoulder/elbow/hand/knuckle pain while golfing. Have never played graphite before but have played Modus 120 extensively and have pretty similar swing speed and swing style as yourself and it seem the MMT 125TX would be an ideal fit.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* - Hzrdus RDX Black 60X

Fairway/Hybrid Testing 

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW PX LZ 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM8 48.10 F

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52 Mid

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56 Full 

Tour Issue Odyssey Protype PT12 Butane Finish