** OFFICIAL REVIEW: MITSUBISHI MMT Iron Shafts ***** FINAL REVIEW Post #2 is UP

19 hours ago, granata10 said:

I read about 12-13 pages and pulled the trigger and bought a couple shafts to try.  Coming from dynamic Gold and have 6 iron swing speed in 90-91mph.  I have tried Steelfiber 110 in the past but the light weight and high balance point didn’t work for me. Loved the feel hated the dispersion. In general.  I have not gotten along with lighter weight shafts (under 120 grams) so I went with 125TX. Debating on soft stepping but probably will go straight In. 

Who has softstepped the 125TX?  What is your clubhead speed?  My transition is moderately aggressive and I am working on getting faster but 6 iron is around 90mph and I like heavier irons shafts. @J13 @nitram

Ping G410 LST 10.5*
Taylormade Sim 14*
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*
Ping Crossover 23*
Wilson Staff Blade 5-PW
Wilson Staff Blade 50*
Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS & 58* TS
Ping Nome TR

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

**Final review**   ** Mitsubishi MMT shafts (125TX)** Refresher: HCP : I range from +1.9 to 0 this year Driver SS : 115’ish on course. 6 iron SS: 93-94mph Swing Type : Think Tony Finau or John

Thought I would share my experience with these shafts. I'm 53 and generally shoot mid 80's (I don't maintain an official handicap and generally dont keep an official score anyome, but that a whole dif

This is pretty amazing     

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, granata10 said:

Who has softstepped the 125TX?  What is your clubhead speed?  My transition is moderately aggressive and I am working on getting faster but 6 iron is around 90mph and I like heavier irons shafts. @J13 @nitram

I originally went straight in with the 125TX and could have played them that way, I just thought a soft step would work out better for me and I was correct. A little better ball flight control as I can now control trajectory, especially the higher shot with the 5 & 6 irons, a little more consistently whereas straight-in I had a more boring stock shot and had to work a little harder on a high floater. FWIW my driver SS is 107 and 6 iron is 95. Hope this helps in someway and good luck.

• Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5
MIURA CB57 4-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

17 minutes ago, nitram said:

I originally went straight in with the 125TX and could have played them that way, I just thought a soft step would work out better for me and I was correct. A little better ball flight control as I can now control trajectory, especially the higher shot with the 5 & 6 irons, a little more consistently whereas straight-in I had a more boring stock shot and had to work a little harder on a high floater. FWIW my driver SS is 107 and 6 iron is 95. Hope this helps in someway and good luck.

It does thank you @nitram

Ping G410 LST 10.5*
Taylormade Sim 14*
Ping Crossover 23*
Wilson Staff Blade 5-PW
Wilson Staff Blade 50*
Ping Nome TR

21 hours ago, granata10 said:

I read about 12-13 pages and pulled the trigger and bought a couple shafts to try.  Coming from dynamic Gold and have 6 iron swing speed in 90-91mph.  I have tried Steelfiber 110 in the past but the light weight and high balance point didn’t work for me. Loved the feel hated the dispersion. In general.  I have not gotten along with lighter weight shafts (under 120 grams) so I went with 125TX. Debating on soft stepping but probably will go straight In. 

Did you ever consider the 125S?

Driver: Taylormade MYSIM2 (Black) 8º w/ Ventus Blue (velocore) 6s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º (-1.5º) w/ Diamana TB 70s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM TI 5w @ 19º w/ Diamana fw75s

Hybrid: Srixon H85 4H @ 22º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Black 85s

Irons: Wilson Staff Model Blades 5-PW w/ Oban Reserve Prototype 113s

Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Raw @ 52º, 56º, 60º w/ Oban Reserve Prototype 113s

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I did but couldn’t find any individual shafts to try online. Nearest place to try them is about a 4 hour drive. I figured i would try TX soft stepped if it’s too much I can order a set of stiffs. I have always felt like I was between S300 and X100 in dynamic gold so why not try TX.  I asked because before I did the work wanted to hear what others though when they did it. 

Ping G410 LST 10.5*
Taylormade Sim 14*
Ping Crossover 23*
Wilson Staff Blade 5-PW
Wilson Staff Blade 50*
Ping Nome TR

Long time X100 player here. I've dabbled with other shafts, but i keep coming back for the predictable load and launch window. I see a lot of folks here have soft stepped their 125tx shafts. Do any of the high speed guys have any issue loading these things straight in? I have a moderate to fast tempo, 120+ driver ss, 99-100 6i ss for reference. As an example, every fitting i have ever done, the fitter has recommended ctaper 130x straight in, or even hard stepped once. For whatever reason, i always felt like i needed to work harder to load the shafts then i wanted to, and it created bad habits. not to mention, i have occasional wrist and shoulder problems... the c tapers were a nightmare when it was cold outside.

Being a high ball flight/high spin player, i've always been terrified of trying graphite. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Titleist TSi3 8.25* / Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist 915 FD 17.5* / Tensei CK Pro White 80TX

Titleist U500 3i / MMT 105TX

Titleist T100 4i-P / Tour Issue X7

Vokey Raw SM7 52F, 56S, 60M / Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Proto

Titleist Pro V1

I will have a better idea once I build mine up but I am starting mine hardstepped.  If they are too much then it's easier to then go straight in or even soft step.  I doubt they are overly stiff like a c taper.  Not that c taper is overly stiff.  You know what I mean. I would start straight in at your speed for sure or even hard step.  Kinda basing that off my steelfiber experience too. (Played SF 125x for a couple years...)

• Thanks 1

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I took mine to the dome today and was very happy. I hate hitting in domes, but no other option with snow on the ground. The shafts are very stable, and do not feel like any other graphite iron shaft I’ve hit in the past. The weight is great. My flight windows were quite close to what I’m used to. My dispersion on the top tracer range system was outstanding. I was able to flight shots and move the ball both ways. I’m going to go back next week when it’s not so busy and I can really concentrate. I had a few guys stop and ask me about the shafts. So far I’m very happy with them, bonus was my hands and elbows aren’t suffering tonight. Will report back again after my next session. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, bailman said:

I took mine to the dome today and was very happy. I hate hitting in domes, but no other option with snow on the ground. The shafts are very stable, and do not feel like any other graphite iron shaft I’ve hit in the past. The weight is great. My flight windows were quite close to what I’m used to. My dispersion on the top tracer range system was outstanding. I was able to flight shots and move the ball both ways. I’m going to go back next week when it’s not so busy and I can really concentrate. I had a few guys stop and ask me about the shafts. So far I’m very happy with them, bonus was my hands and elbows aren’t suffering tonight. Will report back again after my next session. 

What weight and flex do you have? What did you switch from ?

6 hours ago, Xander_Reigns said:

Long time X100 player here. I've dabbled with other shafts, but i keep coming back for the predictable load and launch window. I see a lot of folks here have soft stepped their 125tx shafts. Do any of the high speed guys have any issue loading these things straight in? I have a moderate to fast tempo, 120+ driver ss, 99-100 6i ss for reference. As an example, every fitting i have ever done, the fitter has recommended ctaper 130x straight in, or even hard stepped once. For whatever reason, i always felt like i needed to work harder to load the shafts then i wanted to, and it created bad habits. not to mention, i have occasional wrist and shoulder problems... the c tapers were a nightmare when it was cold outside.

Being a high ball flight/high spin player, i've always been terrified of trying graphite. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Are you gonna build you an iron or two to try these or order the set? I had a local college player try mine back in the Spring when I had mine installed straight in and these shafts handled his speed. I've personally seen him at a consistent 127 with his driver on Trackman. He is also an X100 player in everything and plays them hard stepped and told me he'd hard step the MMT's for himself, for a lower trajectory.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kcc00629 said:

What weight and flex do you have? What did you switch from ?

I went with 105tx. They are surprisingly heavy, especially when compared with other graphite iron shafts I have demo’d throughout the years. If I was blindfolded, aside from the vibration dampening, I would think they were steel. I’m coming from TI x100 for the past 8-10 years and regular weight sorted x100 for 10-12 years before that. I am pleasantly surprised to say the least. I really wish I could hit balls outside on grass, but it’s going to me a few more months unless I go south. I’m looking forward to putting them through more practice sessions. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, nitram said:

Are you gonna build you an iron or two to try these or order the set? I had a local college player try mine back in the Spring when I had mine installed straight in and these shafts handled his speed. I've personally seen him at a consistent 127 with his driver on Trackman. He is also an X100 player in everything and plays them hard stepped and told me he'd hard step the MMT's for himself, for a lower trajectory.

I can’t get a single shaft at the moment. I would have to just take a shot on a whole set. Not ideal. I guess I could buy a set of shafts and only install one to try it out...

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8.25* / Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist 915 FD 17.5* / Tensei CK Pro White 80TX

Titleist U500 3i / MMT 105TX

Titleist T100 4i-P / Tour Issue X7

Vokey Raw SM7 52F, 56S, 60M / Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Proto

Titleist Pro V1

I tried the mmt 105’s tx soft stepped 1x and were too much for my measly 84mph 7 iron speed. I did like the stiffs but I got the tx’s  in my Callaway’s and that’s all they had in the 105g weight. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9* with Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 stiff
Titleist TS1 9* with Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 stiff
Titleist TS1 15* with Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 stiff tipped 1/2"
Titleist TS1 18* with Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 stiff tipped 1/2"
Epon 505 4-GW with Graphite Design Tour AD-95 stiff
JP 55, 60 with Graphite Design Tour AD-95 stiff
National Custom longneck
Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track
Golf Pride Multicompound Black/Black +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

1 hour ago, poppman2142 said:

I tried the mmt 105’s tx soft stepped 1x and were too much for my measly 84mph 7 iron speed. I did like the stiffs but I got the tx’s  in my Callaway’s and that’s all they had in the 105g weight. 

Just in case you're unaware, the 105TX are 114g

Driver: Taylormade MYSIM2 (Black) 8º w/ Ventus Blue (velocore) 6s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º (-1.5º) w/ Diamana TB 70s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM TI 5w @ 19º w/ Diamana fw75s

Hybrid: Srixon H85 4H @ 22º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Black 85s

Irons: Wilson Staff Model Blades 5-PW w/ Oban Reserve Prototype 113s

Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Raw @ 52º, 56º, 60º w/ Oban Reserve Prototype 113s

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

24 minutes ago, Cruisin1966 said:

Just in case you're unaware, the 105TX are 114g

Yes it was one of the main reasons why I wanted to try them but they are just a little bit too stiff for me. I normally like shafts in the 110 to 115g range. I just couldn’t load them properly. 

National Custom longneck
Ogio Silencer bag

3 hours ago, poppman2142 said:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

Did you try this in the new Apex Pro? I’m considering the same thing and have a swing speed around the same as yours. Was thinking of soft stepping twice though. 

What were the consequences of having too stiff of shaft for you?

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5

Taylormade SIM2 Max 3 HL (16.5)

Taylormade V Steel 5 wood (upgrade TBD)

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95 S

Apex Pro 6-PW with MMT 95 S

Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 degree wedges

Odyssey putter

8 minutes ago, brettmag said:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

Did you try this in the new Apex Pro? I’m considering the same thing and have a swing speed around the same as yours. Was thinking of soft stepping twice though. 

What were the consequences of having too stiff of shaft for you?

Had them in the x forged cb. Trajectory was low and just did not feel good like the stiffs. If you soft step twice you can only go down to a five iron as these only come in 3-w. 

National Custom longneck
Ogio Silencer bag

17 minutes ago, poppman2142 said:

Had them in the x forged cb. Trajectory was low and just did not feel good like the stiffs. If you soft step twice you can only go down to a five iron as these only come in 3-w. 

Since the MMT 95 S is the stiff option available through Callaway, what do you think about this as an alternative? Wish they offered the 105 S but they don’t.

Think it would cost quite a bit to swap the 105 TX or 95 S for 105 S through a golf shop?

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95 S

Odyssey putter

17 minutes ago, brettmag said:

Since the MMT 95 S is the stiff option available through Callaway, what do you think about this as an alternative? Wish they offered the 105 S but they don’t.

Think it would cost quite a bit to swap the 105 TX or 95 S for 105 S through a golf shop?

Personally if I had to do it over I would’ve gone with a 95 stiff as these shafts feel much heavier than their stated weight. It probably depends on your tempo some as well.  I’ll just have to sell these and order some 105 stiff’s. Luckily I got a 4 iron utility so my set of mmt’s are all uncut length. 

Edited by poppman2142
  • Like 1

National Custom longneck
Ogio Silencer bag

15 minutes ago, poppman2142 said:

Personally if I had to do it over I would’ve gone with a 95 stiff as these shafts feel much heavier than their stated weight. It probably depends on your tempo some as well.  I’ll just have to sell these and order some 105 stiff’s. Luckily I got a 4 iron utility so my set of mmt’s are all uncut length. 

thanks, appreciate the info. Really value your experience

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5

Apex 4-5 with MMT 95 S

Odyssey putter

Any thoughts on what to try for someone swinging driver around 112 and 6 iron around 92-93?  Intrigued by the MMT idea...but I already tend to hit my PX 6.0s pretty high and with moderate-high spin rates.  I've been hesitant to try anything graphite due to my high launch and high-ish spin rates but maybe it's worth trying something out.  I've played DG, PX, C-Taper, etc.  Slightly different performance/feels but typically the same issues with all of them.

Edited by Armour248
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Xander_Reigns said:

I can’t get a single shaft at the moment. I would have to just take a shot on a whole set. Not ideal. I guess I could buy a set of shafts and only install one to try it out...

It's not really a gamble as you can sell them in a heartbeat if you don't like 'em, but I bet you will.

On 2/6/2021 at 2:19 PM, Xander_Reigns said:

I have zero problems loading the 125TX straight in.  For reference my driver SS is around 116-118 on course normal swing and I load fairly hard in transition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black 6X                  

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 15* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

Man, I really wanted these to work.  When I did my research, they reminded me of the old G-Loomis shafts that were extremely popular back in the day (Davis Love III, Norman, etc...).  I had a set of Ping Zing 2's with those shafts and they were money.  Both are now made by Mitsubishi, but the G is now more popular as a fishing rod!  I tested these during my recent fitting for irons and they just felt dead to me.  My numbers showed right away that these were not my gig.  I was hoping for some of that G-Loomis magic again, but not to be.  

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max @ 10.5* (Playing @11.5*) w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK White [email protected] 45.0" (14g back/4g heel)

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik Max @ 15* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70S (14g back/4g heel)
Hybrid 1: Callaway Super Hybrid @ 20* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80S @ 41.5"

Hybrid 2: Callaway Super Hybrid @ 25* w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70S @ 40.5" or Cobra RADSPEED @ 24* w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 70S @ 40.5"
Irons: Cobra RADSPEED (5-GW) w/KBS $ Taper Lite Black S (+1" and 2*upright)
Wedges: Cobra King MIM Black @52-8V w/KBS $ Taper Lite Black-S (+1" and 2*upright) and 57-10V w/KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125-S (+.75")

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line CS @ 34"
Ball: Testing Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash vs. Snell MTB Black vs. Oncore Vero X1

Bag: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag-White/Black

Any feedback/experiences with blending sets?...have the 125tx’s 5-gw, but planning to do the 105tx in my 4 iron to help launch a bit.

Taylormade SIM 10.5* w/Ventus Black 7X/Rogue White 70TX(testing now)

Taylormade '17 M1 3HL w/ Fubuki Alpha 80X

Srixon U65  4 iron 23* AMT X100

Mizuno MP18 Hifli 5&6 TI X100

Srixon 785's 7-pw TI X100

Cleveland CBX2 48* TI X100

Wilson staff model forged 52, 56, & 60(hi toe) w/ S400's.

Ping Kushin 34"

TP5x

Blending 105 and 125tx should be fine 

Titleist TSi3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black 6X                  

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 15* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6