** OFFICIAL REVIEW: MITSUBISHI MMT Iron Shafts ***** FINAL REVIEW Post #2 is UP

J13

7 hours ago, radiman said:

So, I have a set of 125TX on the way for my irons and some 125 wedge shafts that I will install in new wedges this off season.  Would the wedge shafts blend well with the iron shafts for wedges that I take full swings with?  My 52 is a workhorse and it just dawned on me that it is more a full shot club than anything else.  Currently using KBS 610 wedge shafts in them.  

I was planning on just waiting until the end of the season to reshaft the irons.  But, the Modus 120 I am using isn't exactly my favorite shaft.  I still wish I would have went X100 and the fact that these compare to well to them has me antsy to get this done sooner than later.  

Have the 125 TX and using the KBS 610 in my 54*.  Works for me although I might switch over to the 125 TX in my wedges.  What are you not liking about the KBS 610?

TM SIM 2, 8* w/AD UB-7TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

13 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Have the 125 TX and using the KBS 610 in my 54*.  Works for me although I might switch over to the 125 TX in my wedges.  What are you not liking about the KBS 610?

I like them just fine. But got fall in the entire set which included the wedge shafts. Think they’re different than the 125TX. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 10.5* w/Accra TZ5 M5 tipped 1"
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* 3 Wood w/Ventus Red 7X 1.5" tipping
Taylormade Sim2 15* w/Riptide 80TX
Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW w/MCA MMT 125TX
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 w/Stability Tour Black
Callaway MD5 Jaws 52, 58, 64
Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track or Srixon Z Star XV

On 5/10/2021 at 8:49 PM, Z1ggy16 said:

Any thoughts/use on modus 120x vs MMT 125S? Dabbled with a 125TX last year and I just wasn't getting consistent numbers with it, which I attributed to the shaft being too stiff, even though it felt fine.

From what I heard from TXG, the TX is about a 7.0 on the rifle scale, and I assume then 125S is about a 6.0, which is much closer to where Modus 120X is.

Did you end up trying the 125s?  I currently using modus 120x and I am debating about going to MMT 125S.  I have the 105S UT and I like them, but I want to stick to a similar weight profile for the irons.  

10 played at 9.25 TSI2 w/ Ventus Black 6x

16.5 degree TSI2 w/ Ventus Blue 7x

19 degree Sim Max Hybrid w/ Ventus Blue 8x/ZXU 3 Recoil 95 f5

ZXU 4 w/ Recoil 95 F5

5-p ZX7 Nippon Modus 120x 

SM8 52f/56S/60D 

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0, Sik Flo w/ LAGolf Shaft, Toulon Las Vegas, Special Select Newport 2 custom, Bettinardi Queen B 6

1 hour ago, BeyondVision said:

Did you end up trying the 125s?  I currently using modus 120x and I am debating about going to MMT 125S.  I have the 105S UT and I like them, but I want to stick to a similar weight profile for the irons.  

Nope I haven't... Couldn't find them in stock.

Ping G410+ 9*| Ventus Red 7x

Ping G410 3w | Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Ping G410 3h 19* | Ventus Blue 9x

T200/T100 Combo | PX LZ 6.5

SM8 46* | PX LZ 6.5

Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 58* | S400 TI

man. These things look so sick. Can’t wait to get them installed. Will be a few weeks. 

35AC570E-2EFF-46E9-88F2-A8ECF4E73C45.jpeg.9ac228912134ce88aaeb0ab848ee7cdd.jpeg

• Like 2

Ping G425 LST 10.5* w/Accra TZ5 M5 tipped 1"
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* 3 Wood w/Ventus Red 7X 1.5" tipping
Taylormade Sim2 15* w/Riptide 80TX
Callaway Apex TCB 4-PW w/MCA MMT 125TX
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 w/Stability Tour Black
Callaway MD5 Jaws 52, 58, 64
Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track or Srixon Z Star XV

Anyone completely lose their swing after switching to the 105s?

I used to play MP18 MMC with Modus 120s. Wasn’t great but good enough to make consistent contact. Switched to the MMT 105 with P790 last fall to help with some shoulder issues. Never got to hit them before the spring. Completely lost my swing this year. Finally shot back in the 80s last week and hit a bunch of greens in reg but I feel like I have no idea where the club is anymore.  Wish I kept the old clubs since I have so much doubt now.

I went from X100’s to the 105tx and never felt anything get lost with my own swing. Took one range session and a couple of rounds to get all the kinks worked out and after ~15 rounds with my TCB/MMT combo I’m stoked on my play. 

Spoiler alert - congrats to Ancer for getting his first win for himself and the MMT!

Edited by toddmanley
  • Like 4

Yeah I ended on a bad note last season and grabbed the new clubs to allow me to play knowing that the shoulder is going to be a long process to recover, not to mention it will help with some long standing neck and back issues.  The lack of practice in the off season, injury, and new more forgiving irons with lighter shaft, 1/4" shorter, and with non tapered grips, I guess it would be a miracle to expect the season to start off where I left off last year before injury.  I just wish I kept the old irons to show me that it's not the new clubs fault. 

After a couple of lessons and actually practicing with a purpose a few times a week things are starting to turn around.  I do enjoy the MMT shafts.  I think I'm most surprised as how much they hold up on some really aggressive swings.  I think the lighter weight will actually be a benefit since it feels easier to stay in control of the club. This is coming from a person who started with full length I2s when he was 10 years old so its an ongoing process.   

• Like 1

If I well understand the 125TX is modeled after the Dynamic Gold X100, right? What about the 125S, is it comparable to the S300? I am asking because I tried a set of older Taylormade MBs with the S300 shafts and really liked them. I am currently playing PX LZ 6.0 shafts in my MP18s, but after a few swing changes I hit the ball really high and the S300 lowered the height of the ball. On top, I gained a few meters of carry and I made more consistent ball contact, I had the feeling that the additional weight was helping. I have an aggressive transition and those felt much better. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I finally took my irons out for a round. My elbow is still getting better, but 9 holes, and I drilled 5 of 9 approaches to within 12 feet. I haven't really putted a lot so I went 0-for-5, but steel is fully dead to me.

I thought the comment about dispersion in the review was going to be confirmation bias, and while I'm aware that it's possible I fall prey to it as well, the results did not lie to me. If you haven't hit one of these, go grab an Apex Pro in a bay somewhere and hit a few. Yes, they're a little "dead" feeling compared to steel, and I prefer that, personally. Maybe you don't. But one thing you'll see is that the ball will launch a touch lower than DG, go about 2y further, and dead stop. Descent angle about the same.

I can't see ordering any iron in steel ever again.

• Like 3

410LST 8º, 3w 14.5º, 3h 20º, i210 4i, Blueprint 5-P, Glide Forged 50/54/58. Ping Tour x & MMT105tx shafts. Sigma2 Fetch w/ BGT. 

First par round 4 Oct 2020.

Making the conversion to MMT 125 Stiff from KBS Tour 120 Steel Stiff.

PXG GEN4 0311T, 7 iron played at 37" measured D3 swingweight with Pure Pro grip with one full wrap plus 2 extra wraps on bottom hand. It actually swingweights slightly heavier than it did with the KBS which was D2. It's perfect! Can't wait for the rest of the shafts to show up next week.

G

Have about a months worth of use of my MMT105s irons. Coming of from modus 105s and i Can say that they are very similar. Cant say one is more stiff than the other. Really depends How you load the Shaft. I have a smooth controlled tempo and a agressive down swing and a.m really really digging these shafts. 

ive tried the MCI,OTI and none ever lasted. The MMT is a different Composite beast definetly steel like and for me they launch slightly lower than the modus. First few swings werent bad at all expected them to be stiff to flex based on reviews but they are fine. 

I build my own clubs and built my 5i to 38 with 4 wraps of tape and 2 extra below. The swing weight came out to

5 D4

6 D3.5

7 D2.5 - d4 2.5 grams

8 D3- d4 2 grams

9 D2 - d4 4.2 grams

Pw D2 - d4 5 grams 

had to add couple of grams of tape hidden under the cavity  to make them D4 and they are as perfect as Can be. 

controlled flighted shafts are very good. One thing im getting used to though is the kick you feel When you Go after one. Wouldnt call it soft but its distinct. Almost like a rubbery kick hard to describe unless youve felt it yourself. 

enjoying them so much i ordered a 105 pw for my Aw and a 105 scoring wedge for my sand. Will continue up my set with a MMT 95 HB for my driving iron and MMT 80 for my hybrid. 

Love the MMT line wont be trying anything anytime soon. Good bye steel shafts. 

C8DC71BA-6699-4521-A3CE-C69664C65802.jpeg

Edited by Spoon
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 2:13 AM, halfsumo said:

Coincidentally to the post above. I just got back from the first range session with my new i210's with MMT 105 TX soft-stepped. First, this was also my first time hitting a ball in 7 weeks so I was definitely rusty and have lost a bit of speed. That out of the way, initial thoughts are that these are very steel-like in weight and stiffness. These are definitely stout feeling to me, but not too much to handle. Again, I think I have lost about a club worth of speed due to not hitting anything for two months, so I think once I get back up to speed they will be very nice. Not too light and not too heavy. Performance was what everyone has said, good dispersion left right and front to back.

Coming from Project X LZ 6.5 which I was fit for with the Mizuno shaft optimzer. Probably my favorite steel shaft I've tried if just a touch heavy for my liking, just don't want steel anymore.

Did your order direct from ping, if so how much was the upcharge?

No, I ordered from Fairway Jockey. $65 per shaft I think. I have another set with JPX 921 Tours and MMT 105tx up for sale currently. Also built by fairway jockey. 

Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red 6x
Sim2 Max 3HL Tour AD HD 7s
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75s
PING G425 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 m4
Titleist T100 5-P Modus 120x

SM8 50, 56F
Fourteen RM4 60H
Newport 2

1 hour ago, m_w said:

Have any of you guys hit a Recoil 110 next to the MMT 105's?

Just a 110 proto. Very much not the same. As much as I think they are good shafts, they are spinny for me. They  are probably the best non-mesh graphite iron shaft out there.

The difference for me is that the feel with the MMT is like steel. It is more rigid in the middle, but not in a bad way -- just in the way that steel would feel, but without the return of energy to the hands. That's really the best way to describe it for me… Recoils are good, but the more you force the issue, the more spin they produce because the midsection it just a little more flexing.

MMTs are a perfect translation if you're coming *from* steel. If you're a graphite aficionado, and you need holding power, Recoils will definitely fit certain profiles well/better.

410LST 8º, 3w 14.5º, 3h 20º, i210 4i, Blueprint 5-P, Glide Forged 50/54/58. Ping Tour x & MMT105tx shafts. Sigma2 Fetch w/ BGT. 

37 minutes ago, karstens_ghost said:

Just a 110 proto. Very much not the same. As much as I think they are good shafts, they are spinny for me. They  are probably the best non-mesh graphite iron shaft out there.

The difference for me is that the feel with the MMT is like steel. It is more rigid in the middle, but not in a bad way -- just in the way that steel would feel, but without the return of energy to the hands. That's really the best way to describe it for me… Recoils are good, but the more you force the issue, the more spin they produce because the midsection it just a little more flexing.

MMTs are a perfect translation if you're coming *from* steel. If you're a graphite aficionado, and you need holding power, Recoils will definitely fit certain profiles well/better.

Thanks this is super helpful. You would say that the Recoil 110 Proto spin and launch more than a MMT 105?

40 minutes ago, m_w said:

Thanks this is super helpful. You would say that the Recoil 110 Proto spin and launch more than a MMT 105?

In my experience, yes.

16 hours ago, tippethor said:

Pretty fun to see 2 out of 3 players in the last group at CJ`s play MMT yesterday! 

I think this showcases how good MMT is.

Just found a set of Callaway Apex Pro`s with MMT 105TX, almost cant wait until they show up on my doorstep 😆

Pretty amazing isn't it.  Love my MMT's 😎

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Max LS / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Callaway Epic Speed 15* / Fuji Ventus Blue 8X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 50*,54*,60* / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Odyssey Versa #6

Got a few rounds and few range sessions in with my MMT 105s in the Taylormade p770s. Coming from Modus 105s (which I still really enjoy). Took a couple sessions and rounds to get the feel dialed but man... they feel incredible. Definitely a more predictable dispersion. I know where my miss is gonna be. They feel great stepping on one and feel super comfortable playing fun knock downs, 3/4, etc. Super consistent, holding greens. I'm not the golfer that hops on launch monitor, but I can't see a reason to go back to steel. Humble brag picture on how good these look!

IMG_5005.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you guys finding single shafts of these to order for testing in 7 iron, 5 iron…?

Found only one site on line at $100 per. 

TM 2017 M2 - Oban Kyoshi tour limited 04 60
King Cobra F7 3 wood Hzrdus Red 6.5 65
King Cobra F7 2 hybrid GD 95 X
Honma TW737VS 5 -PW Modus 120X SS1
Sm6 50 F - Miura 56 K - Miura 59 C - KBS 610 125 S+
TP5

• 2 weeks later...

New to the forum, been reading for years though, just want to chip in on this amazing thread!

Just got fitted into the Miura TC-201 with MMT 125 Stiff hard stepped. SS 7i ~90mph, 6900 rpm, 178y carry. Amazing! Smooth, but so direct and low dispersion.

Does anyone have a view on Stiff hard stepped or TX soft stepped? Just wondering what the considerations are.. only tested 125S and 105TX, 105 definitely too light.

On the other side, wondering whether my 4i won’t be a tad heavy/hard. Any ideas to use a different shaft for that?

Soft stepping the MMT will be no different than whatever steel you were playing. I went from playing X100 SSX1 for 30 years and did the same for my MMT 125TX and it was a seamless transition.

• Like 1

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           Diamana ZF  80TX

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 18*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA TC-201   4-6                                  MCI MMT-105TX

MIURA MB-101  7-P                                   MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Prototype  52, 57, 60                MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

In case anyone wants to try these, TourSpec has them in stock, and blackfriday gets you 20% off in the cart. Gets pretty reasonable in price. Would have saved me over $100.

Happy shopping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, karstens_ghost said:

In case anyone wants to try these, TourSpec has them in stock, and blackfriday gets you 20% off in the cart. Gets pretty reasonable in price. Would have saved me over $100.

Happy shopping.

Thanks for the heads up. I bought 4-PW for $400 + shipping. It was originally $671 but on sale for $498 and then another 100 bucks off. Hard to beat that price.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 10° Tensei Pro White 1K 50TX
Taylormade Sim Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 900 Tours w/ Nippon 125X's
Fourteen RM-22 Tour Raw 50.07/54.08/58.12 w/ Masters Edition Nippon 125S
Scotty Cameron Tour Squareback+