** OFFICIAL REVIEW: MITSUBISHI MMT Iron Shafts ***** FINAL REVIEW Post #2 is UP

J13

125S or 105S.

The TX will feel like the X100, and if you soft it, it'll feel like a soft X100.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 2

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

• 3 weeks later...

Came here looking to read this again. @J13 you still playing these shafts?

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

35 minutes ago, J13 said:

Yes sir.  Still love them, still not going back to steel.  I"m telling ya, that ship has sailed.

Thanks! I am pretty sure I am switching.

• Like 2

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

6 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Thanks! I am pretty sure I am switching.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

If I currently game Oban CT 115X steel shafts, would the MMT “equivalent” be the 105TX? Swing speed is fast enough but I always get fit into a bit lighter shaft in fittings. Which is why the Oban 115 was better than the 125. Am I correct in assuming the 105TX would probably be the right fit over the 125TX? 

Haven’t found a place with these shafts in the 105TX and 125TX to try so I’m considering getting them put in a set to compare to the Oban 115X.

15 minutes ago, nj_lutes said:

If I currently game Oban CT 115X steel shafts, would the MMT “equivalent” be the 105TX? Swing speed is fast enough but I always get fit into a bit lighter shaft in fittings. Which is why the Oban 115 was better than the 125. Am I correct in assuming the 105TX would probably be the right fit over the 125TX? 

Haven’t found a place with these shafts in the 105TX and 125TX to try so I’m considering getting them put in a set to compare to the Oban 115X.

They're named "105", but the 105TX come in at 113g. I think that's your deal, and I wouldn't second guess that for a single moment.

Also, most complete carts for Callaway will have an Apex Pro option with the 105TX. It'll be close enough to know the feel you're getting.

Edited by karstens_ghost
Callys
  • Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

3 hours ago, nj_lutes said:

I came from Oban CT115 X- shafts in Srixon 965s to MMT 105TX in New Level 623s.  Performance between the two was similar, high flat ball flight and consistent dispersion.  Very happy with switch as the MMT does a great job on vibration dampening also.  I also put a Project X Catalyst 100 into the 7 iron of the srixon set when it bent after catching a tree root.  Was surprised at how good that shaft felt, will be doing the rest of that set this winter to compare to the MMT.  

• Like 1

I've got a question or a couple. Couple years ago I tried the recoil 110 protos in a set of cobra forged tec irons. When I hit them, they just felt like there wasn't anything hitting the ball. Lost tons of yardage. So I went back to steel shafts with kbs c taper 120 in the cobra king forged cb's. I love the feel of the cobras, but after having shoulder surgery this past year and wrist surgery from 11 years ago, i'm about to jump down the path of graphite shafts again and looking hard at the MMT 105 s. 

I'm just scared that if I switch out my shafts, i'm going to get the same thing I got from the recoils. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Callaway Paradym Driver

Callaway Paradym 3w

Callaway Rogue 4H
Srixon ZX MKII combo 4-A
Cleveland RTX 6 54, 58
Swag Boss

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler910D3 said:

I've got a question or a couple. Couple years ago I tried the recoil 110 protos in a set of cobra forged tec irons. When I hit them, they just felt like there wasn't anything hitting the ball. Lost tons of yardage. So I went back to steel shafts with kbs c taper 120 in the cobra king forged cb's. I love the feel of the cobras, but after having shoulder surgery this past year and wrist surgery from 11 years ago, i'm about to jump down the path of graphite shafts again and looking hard at the MMT 105 s. 

I'm just scared that if I switch out my shafts, i'm going to get the same thing I got from the recoils. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Hey @CarlSpackler910D3 i believe @karstens_ghost has played 110 protos (see previous page):

Edited by stevechooster

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

I just had PGA store put a 105TX in my PXG 0311T 4 iron to test these shafts. I haven’t hit it yet, but one thing is confusing me. 

I had them check the swing weight with the 120 gram PX LZ 6.0 before pulling it: D2

The guy put it on the scale after with the 113 gram 105TX and said it’s D3.5. Exact same grip and length as before. Any thoughts on how this could happen?

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

38 minutes ago, Sean124 said:

I just had PGA store put a 105TX in my PXG 0311T 4 iron to test these shafts. I haven’t hit it yet, but one thing is confusing me. 

I had them check the swing weight with the 120 gram PX LZ 6.0 before pulling it: D2

The guy put it on the scale after with the 113 gram 105TX and said it’s D3.5. Exact same grip and length as before. Any thoughts on how this could happen?

Balance point is lower on the MMT.  It's not unlike how KBS Tour 130 swingweights a few points lighter than DG shafts, which are the same weight.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

57 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Balance point is lower on the MMT.  It's not unlike how KBS Tour 130 swingweights a few points lighter than DG shafts, which are the same weight.

Gotcha, thanks.

I’m trying it out tomorrow, guess we’ll see how it feels. 

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W

@stevechooster Mate, good call. Let me tell you what I can.

I've played the recoils. I played the prototypes, so those were the non-counterbalanced options. They felt like a lot of graphite shafts do; soft feels. The protos were nice because I don't get along with counterbalanced shafts -- which up until recently, many graphite options were. It makes sense; graphites were light for the intent of speed, at the sacrifice of a little dispersion. Recoils did a pretty good job, and I'd still say they're good shafts - but with the caveat that they can be very spinny. I think they were awesome, and I still have one in my Rapture 2iron.

Based on your experience, you're spinning the hell out of them, and losing distance because of it. They do feel like "nothing" if you hit them purely, but I didn't mind that - I had them in S55s and those weren't exactly butter-soft.

MMTs are not going to feel the same as Recoils. Recoils will be more boardy. The MMTs are going to feel and play like steel, but the main difference to me is that it does not transition the energy up the shaft and into the hands/arms on contact - particularly un-clean contact. This doesn't mean you'll feel "nothing". It's different; impact will feel a bit different because you're not getting the immediate torque and vibration.

So definitely expect 'different' than steel. Less, but not nothing. I can certainly tell 'how' I hit it by feel, but it took a month to dial that in for me. That may have been injury related, but once I got back to it, it went from alien to normal quickly.

DM me with anything specific. It's hard to describe as words, but I'll do my best.

4 hours ago, stevechooster said:

Hey @CarlSpackler910D3 i believe @karstens_ghost has played 110 protos (see previous page):

Thanks, i definitely missed that since i didnt read through all 33 pages. definitely makes more sense for when I tried to hit the recoils harder. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Driver

Callaway Paradym 3w

Callaway Rogue 4H
Srixon ZX MKII combo 4-A
Cleveland RTX 6 54, 58
Swag Boss

The MMT 105 is going to feel and perform much differently than the 110 Recoils. They are totally different critters. I use MMT-125TX in my short irons and 105-TX in longer irons, mainly for a little more launch and speed. I tried the Recoils a few years ago and like almost every other graphite iron shaft (up until a couple years ago) were worthless for me. The MMT plays like steel but without the soreness in your joints. IMHO, it'd definitely be worth buying one shaft and giving it a test drive.

• Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Do the 125TX have the same lower balance point like the 105TX?

I put the 105TX in my 4 iron with the thought that I’d probably put the 125TX in the rest of my clubs. Now with the 105 increasing the swing weight over my Project X LZ, I may just stick with the 105 since I like the feel but wouldn’t want any more swing weight added. 

I should probably order an individual wedge shaft to do more testing before I dive into the rest of the set. 

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W

Got to finally try my MMT 125S and it's my first time playing anything other than conventional steel shaft (used to play Modus 125S). MMT certainly feels different because it's nowhere near as hollow as a steel shaft, so it felt a bit stiffer when I just waggled the club (I know it doesn't tell anyone jack squat about the shaft, but just thought I'd share...) 

The club itself felt super smooth (I have a smooth swing) during play, which is what mattered to start off. It mimicked my steel shafts and there was nothing that felt inferior or told me this shaft was different in any way. If anything, these MMT felt smoother and still had the stiffness to deliver. 

The biggest, and perhaps the most notable thing, are the vibrations on bad shots (what every other MMT user has said is absolutely true).

I'm not the greatest golfer (only started just over a year ago; I shoot in the mid to upper 80s), but today was my first time in 6 months post ruptured Achilles surgery. I still can't run, so you can imagine how less of pushing power I have in a swing. Everyone knows the really bad shots where that vibration ripples through the club and up through your arm and joints. Even those shots (whatever your bad shot is... thinned, fat, shank, etc.) or whatever bad lie you have, no pain with these MMT shafts. Complete dampening. If you want to find out, go test a shaft by hitting a really fat shot or just shanking one. 

All I can say is that performance wise, they certainly do act like my steel shaft, perform just as well as it, but also significantly reduces vibrations. This is a win. These shafts are a permanent keep for me. 

For anyone playing MMT shafts, where can I find 125S shafts to put into my 3 wedges? Any reputable sites?

• Like 2

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

8 hours ago, stevechooster said:

For anyone playing MMT shafts, where can I find 125S shafts to put into my 3 wedges? Any reputable sites?

Golfworks.

Just a thought Steve, have you considered 125TX in your wedges? Lower flight and more spin. . .

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

30 minutes ago, nitram said:

Golfworks.

Just a thought Steve, have you considered 125TX in your wedges? Lower flight and more spin. . .

Good idea. What made you jump from 105TX to 125TX in your irons? That's a good jump in weight. 

Edited by stevechooster

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

I needed a little help with launch and speed in the longer irons. In weighing the shafts it's only 11-12 grams but was exactly what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nitram said:

I needed a little help with launch and speed in the longer irons. In weighing the shafts it's only 11-12 grams but was exactly what I'm looking for.

I have the 105TX in my 3/4iron UT and it's perfect as well.  It's kinda like MOI matching instead of solely focusing on swing weight and total weight.  A slightly lighter shaft in the long irons helps me get a little more launch and spin which is what i'm looking for.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

What tip weights do you guys use to get the swing weights up in these?

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar