Is this shaft adapter crooked?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m guessing this has nothing to do with the adapter and everything to do with the shaft. I’m guessing that shaft was a pull judging by the overprepped area showing. When the pxg adapter was install

If the adapter really was bent in some way then that opens the door to a lot of other potential concerns:

1) If it was bent before the current shaft was installed, then I'd be concerned about how deep the shaft was able to be inserted into the adapter - which influences the strength of the glue joint.

2) or if it was bent while the shaft was installed, then it's also very possible the shaft tip was damaged as well.

I’m guessing this has nothing to do with the adapter and everything to do with the shaft. I’m guessing that shaft was a pull judging by the overprepped area showing. When the pxg adapter was installed, the shaft was over prepped, making it smaller than .335, leaving room for the shaft to sit crooked in the adapter. I’ve dealt with this a few times when buying pulls, main reason I try to avoid them.

I would be sending it back and getting a refund. Problem you will inevitably run into is if the shaft is crooked in the adapter, that means some part of the shaft is resting directly on the top edge of the adapter. This is going to create a stress point on the shaft since there is no “cushion” of epoxy separating the shaft from the metal adapter. Sooner or later the shaft will snap at the adapter.

• Like 1

Driver - Ping G425 LST Ventus Black 6X
Driving Iron - Ping IE1 4 iron (bent to 18*) KBS Tour 130X

Irons - 2019 Cobra King MB 5-GW KBS $-taper 130X

SW - Cobra MIM Black 56 Versatile KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

LW - Cobra MIM Black 60 Low KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter - Tour Issue Odyssey Protype PT12 Butane Finish

> @jblough99 said:

> I’m guessing this has nothing to do with the adapter and everything to do with the shaft. I’m guessing that shaft was a pull judging by the overprepped area showing. When the pxg adapter was installed, the shaft was over prepped, making it smaller than .335, leaving room for the shaft to sit crooked in the adapter. I’ve dealt with this a few times when buying pulls, main reason I try to avoid them.

> I would be sending it back and getting a refund. Problem you will inevitably run into is if the shaft is crooked in the adapter, that means some part of the shaft is resting directly on the top edge of the adapter. This is going to create a stress point on the shaft since there is no “cushion” of epoxy separating the shaft from the metal adapter. Sooner or later the shaft will snap at the adapter.

I purchased this from a reputable, well known vendor on this forum. Would they be able to fix this?

You said earlier that you heard back from the vendor, what did they have to say?

If they are a reputable vendor as you said, they should take care of you. I personally wouldn’t want anything other than a refund. That is a sloppy install job, period. Curious who the vendor is?

Driver - Ping G425 LST Ventus Black 6X
Driving Iron - Ping IE1 4 iron (bent to 18*) KBS Tour 130X

Irons - 2019 Cobra King MB 5-GW KBS $-taper 130X

SW - Cobra MIM Black 56 Versatile KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

LW - Cobra MIM Black 60 Low KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter - Tour Issue Odyssey Protype PT12 Butane Finish

• 1 year later...

@jblough99 I've got a Graphite Design shaft that I've had to shave down a bit, in turn making the tip smaller than .335. Any strategies for mounting an adapter 'straight' in this scenario to avoid a crooked mount like seen above?

This is an old shaft of mine that was snapped in transit years ago...so not like I'm going to return it. That said, it's a $300 shaft that I'd like to try and repurpose.

My first attempt at mounting the adapter wound up crooked so figured I'd see if anyone had advice. Thanks in advance. 

To the OP - If that adapter in your first post was installed by a "reputable" vendor, their reputation has now been tarnished. Total crap install if I ever saw one.

To GoLowBC - I would get a graphite shaft tip weight that has a thin head and use that to center the shaft in the adapter.

BT 

Bag 1

Cobra King LTD Pro 9.5* HZRDUS Black 7 6.0 @ 44.5"
King LTD 14.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
F6 5-7 @ 17.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Bag 2
F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Bag 3
Mizuno ST190 9.5* - Diamana "Flowerband" Whiteboard 73 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno ST190 14.5* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 43"
Epic Flash Heavenwood 19* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 42" 
Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Roo Midsize

22 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

To GoLowBC - I would get a graphite shaft tip weight that has a thin head and use that to center the shaft in the adapter.

Interesting idea but all of the graphite tip weights that I've used have flanges that are smaller than the tip normal tip diameter.

@GoLowBC24  How much of the tip had to be removed?   I'd be more concerned about how much wall thickness is left.  If it's been shaved enough to allow a crocked install, that doesn't bode well for it's remaining strength.  It's not clear based on your description but it sounds like you may have gone past the parallel tip section and over-prepped at the same time.