- Pro V1x left dash review

GC70

3 hours ago, toddmanley said:

I'm at the same intersection of making a decision.  I've played the '21 TP5x the last 3 rounds and prior to that played around with the '21 V1/V1x.  

Which way are you leaning? 

TM SIM 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x

TM SIM 14.25* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x
Titleist 510U 3i KBS Hybrid Prototype 95x
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-6i, MP20 MMC 7-P Oban CT 115x 
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60* Modus 125 Wedge
TM Spider X Navy

34 minutes ago, aph2011 said:

Which way are you leaning? 

I need to get back out there with the '21 V1/V1x.  I've got a new set of Apex Pro 21's in the bag with different shafts (DG TI X100) than my previous blades (MP-18 with $-Taper 120) and played well with the TP5x (like the improvements made for wedge and putter shots).  The blades needed a little more height the V1x offered and which the TP5x had as well.  I hope to figure this out before the 4-for-3 deals go away.

Left dash is a game changer for me. It puts me in the right spin window for driver and on full wedge shots I’m not zipping back 5-10 feet it’s more of a stop in place. Perfect ball. 

• Like 4

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

On 3/22/2021 at 7:18 AM, nitram said:

The LD is the first Titleist ball I've even considered in the past 15 years. I've played the TP5X since it's inception and the LETHAL prior to that. In a ball vs ball test with the '21 TP5X the LD launches and flies a little better, is a wash in long and mid-irons, and has a little more spin around the green. I'm going to do more testing to see which ball will eventually be my primary ball but for right  now the LD is in the lead by a nose.

Thanks for the comparison but can you be more specific about what "launches and flies a little better" means?  Do you mean with less spin?  Straighter?  Higher?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Curious how this one stacks up against the Snell MTB-X. In the last 5 years I've switched from V1X, to V1, to TP5X, to Snell MTB-X because of the low launch, firm feel, and performance in the wind. I'm a high spin player that prefers a firmer ball, especially with the putter, so the LD may be the next one to try

• Like 1

#1: Titleist TSi3 9* - Ventus Black 6X 

#3: Titleist TSi3 15* - HZRDUS HC Yellow 75g 6.5

3H: Titleist TSi3 20* - Motore 8.8 X

I: National Custom Works CB/MB DW - MMT 125 TX

W: Titleist SM8 Raw 56.14F & 60.14K - TT X100 TI Black Onyx

P: SC Newport 2 Centershafted P r o t o t y p e

1 hour ago, norcaltrojan said:

Curious how this one stacks up against the Snell MTB-X. In the last 5 years I've switched from V1X, to V1, to TP5X, to Snell MTB-X because of the low launch, firm feel, and performance in the wind. I'm a high spin player that prefers a firmer ball, especially with the putter, so the LD may be the next one to try

I spent the early part of the season playing the LD and MTB-X, along with the Bstone tour BX, which I played all of last year. They're all very good but I like to commit to one by April and went with the LD. 

For me, the LD launches a little higher than the MTB-X but is similar in most ways with driver. I like the sound and feel of the LD more and I didn't see as much movement.  The LD was a half club longer with irons, more similar to the TP5x for me.  The MTB-X spun too much on greens with scoring irons. The LD is just right. 

The MTB-X was the best ball for me in the wind.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ddherman said:

Correct but I just got them in the mail and there is no way these have ever been hit.  You get 3 of each number 1-4 like all they did was take them out of the packaging and send out.

I bought from them twice. The numbers I received were randomly mixed (more of some numbers than others). Not a big deal, you just got lucky.

• Like 1

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

5 minutes ago, 95124hacker said:

I bought from them twice. The numbers I received were randomly mixed (more of some numbers than others). Not a big deal, you just got lucky.

You are probably correct but no matter the numbers they are brand new balls.  These have never been hit so not sure if that was luck as well but I would think not the case as I can’t believe they can find that many left dash in the wild!

I'm beginning to put the LD in play.  The first few rounds are very, very promising.  I've been gaming the TP5X and standard Pro V1 last year.  I am a high spin player.  So far I am enjoying the flight window these provide.  I have to recalibrate the putting stroke a bit, but so far very impressed with the overall playability of this ball.  Greatly reminds me of the early versions of the Pro V1X, before they started making it a spin machine.   

• Like 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

On 4/9/2021 at 7:07 PM, ddherman said:

You are probably correct but no matter the numbers they are brand new balls.  These have never been hit so not sure if that was luck as well but I would think not the case as I can’t believe they can find that many left dash in the wild!

You are very likely correct that you got a batch of never-hit balls from a used-ball vendor. That certainly happens. But you don't actually know that for certain, of course.

Over the years when buying "Mint" or "AAAAA" quality used balls I've seen plenty of balls that were indistinguishable from brand new mixed in with those having a few Sharpie marks or the occasional blemish. You really can't tell the difference between a clean and unblemished ball that's been hit and a literally un-hit one. 

Off topic story...

One recent round I was playing a white, 2021 model Pro V1 with the number "4" on it. On the first hole I was helping my partner search for his lost ball miles left in the woods. We never found his but I did see an apparently brand-new white, 2021 model Pro V1 with the number "4" on it. My lucky day!

Later in the round, would you believe I found a second apparently brand-new white, 2021 model Pro V1 with the number "4".

Someone ahead of me was playing balls just like mine out of their "4" sleeve and losing them in the left woods all day. I felt like a kid on an easter egg hunt. Almost made up for fact I didn't have a prayer of winning any money with a partner who kept doing the same thing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2021 at 6:07 PM, ddherman said:

You are certainly more fortunate than I with them. While they look brand new with no blemishes or cosmetic there are other QC issues. I ordered 6 dozen (72 balls) and received 6 green little nylon bags like the little bag a cluster of grapes comes in, each containing a dozen balls. In each dozen there are two or three (non LD) Pro V1X. Not a deal killer but definitely something a potential buyer needs to know.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

11 minutes ago, nitram said:

You are certainly more fortunate than I with them. While they look brand new with no blemishes or cosmetic there are other QC issues. I ordered 6 dozen (72 balls) and received 6 green little nylon bags like the little bag a cluster of grapes comes in, each containing a dozen balls. In each dozen there are two or three (non LD) Pro V1X. Not a deal killer but definitely something a potential buyer needs to know.

Did you reach out to them? I’ve ordered in bulk before, 4 dozen, and haven’t had that issue. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Took my first spin with with the LD today for 9 holes. I'm a higher speed player but nothing crazy. 110-115 driver ss and about 93 mph with a 6i. The LD is definitely longer across the board for me. A few yards in the driver and about half a club in irons. The most important thing was how consistently I got my yardage. Anyone with too high of spin knows the struggle of trying to add a bit extra to a swing only to fall short due to spin. The LD seemed to take that edge off and allow me to go full bore or back off to hit my numbers. 

I haven't enjoyed playing a ball this much since the old B330. The current BX feels nice and is long off the driver but irons tend to spin too much for me. The LD firm but not off putting. If you've played Srixon XV, V1X or MTB-X then you'll have no issues with the feel. They're no firmer than any other high compression ball. I've read some reviews saying it's "loud." I don't know why some say this, its no more loud than most balls I've played. 

Short game spin was good too. I had no issues getting it to check when I wanted to.

Overall, of you've played higher compression balls and have no issues then keep the LD in mind. Especially if you've struggled with spin. It undoubtedly shaves off more spin than any other ball I've played since the B330.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought some to test out; I plan to play them this weekend.

I saw a few "experts" online say that the typical pro chooses their ball starting on performance on and around the green, then working back to the tee.  I have seen Tiger echo this thought in an interview as well.  Their explanation made sense, strokes gained are most significant/impactful on and around the green; being 5 yards longer off the tee is less impactful than having a ball spin the way they want it to with their wedges.

I am currently playing the TP5 because I needed/wanted more spin with my irons into the greens; that was my main reason for choosing these.  I will report back after the weekend.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I played the left dash today for the first time.  I see a lot of what has been said on this thread many times.  The firmer feel didn't bother me.  It was longer off the driver and irons for me.  It spun less than I am used to; I had a few good iron shots that would typically roll 2-5 feet with the TP5, end up rolling out 15-20 feet with the left dash.  I am not sure that the increased driver and iron length is worth losing this kind of control hitting into the greens.  I will try them a few more times, but I think I will likely end up sticking with a higher spinning ball.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, invertedforestgolf said:

I got an email from a local golf shop saying they had the 2021 left dash in stock now? Is there a new model? I live in Australia and have never seen them retail here so it could just be 'new' for the store as I haven't heard any other chatter.

I am 99% certain that there hasn't been any update to the Left Dash for several years. Certainly nothing mentioned in Titleist's advertising or marketing material. And they usually tout every minor change as revolutionary!

• Like 2

I have played a few more rounds with the left Dash ball. I still am not sure if the extra distance is worth the loss of control hitting into the greens with any iron above a wedge. It is unquestionably longer off the driver and the irons. Definitely an interesting experiment. I let one of my friends try one for a round and he ended up buying 10 dozen that same day!

• Like 2

LEFT HANDED

44 minutes ago, Mob said:

I have played a few more rounds with the left Dash ball. I still am not sure if the extra distance is worth the loss of control hitting into the greens with any iron above a wedge. It is unquestionably longer off the driver and the irons. Definitely an interesting experiment. I let one of my friends try one for a round and he ended up buying 10 dozen that same day!

Kind of like AVX before it, when I played the Left Dash for a while I was initially addicted to that extra half-club of distance and pretty much complete immunity to any wind less than 10-15mph.

And like AVX in the end I could not deal with that shot or two per round ending up releasing to the back fringe or over the green even though it was a nice, high shot that ought to have held with only 10-15 feet of rollout.

I don't hit all that many cleanly struck iron shots right on target. It drives me crazy when one of them ends up in a bad spot simply because of the ball I'm using. I'm afraid Left Dash was in that category. And really, it isn't like hitting a 7-iron 150 instead of 145 with a normal Pro V1x is a big advantage anyway.

• Like 1

The only reason I am still experimenting with the left dash, is because my side spin with the driver seems to be less, so I am hitting more fairways and have 1-2 clubs less into the greens.  More fairways is very attractive to me, assuming I can start to gauge how to club down into the greens with mid to long irons so  I don't roll off the back every time.

I also agree, it is the best wind ball I have every played.

LEFT HANDED

• 2 weeks later...

Played my first round with the Left dash. Not going to be a great review since it was a last second round, and didn't get a chance to warm up at the range, and this old boy needs to hit a few to get the oil flowing. Once I got comfortable, I put it in play. I've been gaming the Snell MTB-X right now, and this felt very similar. Uncorked a low baby draw with the driver that rolled out to about 320 yards, so really impressed with that, that's about where my best have been ending up with the Snell. When I did manage to hit some greens, I noticed that it was always a foot or two past the ball mark, instead of zipping back a few feet behind it like the Snell does. Excited to try it again when I can fully warm up beforehand.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

On 4/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, Hougz79 said:

I'm beginning to put the LD in play.  The first few rounds are very, very promising.  I've been gaming the TP5X and standard Pro V1 last year.  I am a high spin player.  So far I am enjoying the flight window these provide.  I have to recalibrate the putting stroke a bit, but so far very impressed with the overall playability of this ball.  Greatly reminds me of the early versions of the Pro V1X, before they started making it a spin machine.   

Yes they remind me allot of the 2015 V1X.

Played about 30 rounds with the LD now. For me it is a great combination of straighter and longer off the driver. Height has never been an issue in my game, so the LD could fly a little lower for my liking - but it does not balloon.

They felt firm at first but now I love the feel even off the putter. 

Green side spin is very good for me.

I am high spin player so wedges land and stop with the LD rather than spinning back at all. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, RobDMB said:

Is the LD really noticeably straighter off the driver than the regular Prov1?

I believe it is straighter off the tee for me.

LEFT HANDED