Pro blows it trying to grip putter - whose risk of loss?

lanzador49

> @dxdgenert said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @WidespreadPanic said:

> > > Some advice though - get a grip removal tool, a giant bottle of Odorless Mineral Spirits, a roll of grip tape, and save yourself a lot of time and money.

> >

> > I would say skip the grip tape, get painters tape and a small air compressor instead =)

>

> Here we go: the ole grip tape vs air debate ?

> I do both and don’t notice a difference either way.

Exactly. If no difference, the grip removal part (the main crux of this post/story) goes away completely. I can swap an entire set of grips in no time at all.

I've used both air and a grip removal tool in the past, and they both kind of suck tbh. I've since stopped trying to save grips - they come off stretched out and never feel quite the same reinstalled as new after they've been pulled once. Maybe others don't notice, but I do and don't feel like it's worth saving a few bucks on a new grip playing with a grip that just doesn't feel quite right in my hands.

• Like 1

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

> @"CFA Jay" said:

> > @alexdub said:

> > I feel like we're missing part of the story

>

> I felt the same after reading this.

I explained what happened. The > @"CFA Jay" said:

> > @alexdub said:

> > I feel like we're missing part of the story

>

> I felt the same after reading this.

The question is “who bears the risk of loss” when there is an improper install of a grip and, instead of salvaging a perfectly good one to reuse, the shop chooses to slice it off.

All else is circumstance. There is no other story. One can make up whatever else to suit whatever conclusion, but please do share under what circumstances it's a risk that should be borne by the customer who is having the work done.

What if the shop ruins the tip of an expensive shaft? Please do address the main issue...

If the repair shop doesn't do the work properly and has to redo it, the cost has to be on them. Not the customer's responsibility.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

> @GoIrish17 said:

> I've used both air and a grip removal tool in the past, and they both kind of suck tbh. I've since stopped trying to save grips - they come off stretched out and never feel quite the same reinstalled as new after they've been pulled once. Maybe others don't notice, but I do and don't feel like it's worth saving a few bucks on a new grip playing with a grip that just doesn't feel quite right in my hands.

If you use air on a grip that was installed with air only, there is no stretching

> @Krt22 said:

> > @GoIrish17 said:

> > I've used both air and a grip removal tool in the past, and they both kind of suck tbh. I've since stopped trying to save grips - they come off stretched out and never feel quite the same reinstalled as new after they've been pulled once. Maybe others don't notice, but I do and don't feel like it's worth saving a few bucks on a new grip playing with a grip that just doesn't feel quite right in my hands.

>

> If you use air on a grip that was installed with air only, there is no stretching

I add 2 extra wraps of tape, and sometimes a couple extra on my bottom hand. Air or no, they just never quite felt the same after they were pulled once. I use Z Cords, and they remove equally poorly with air or tool. Just my experience - I'm not saying anyone else is wrong and I didn't want to derail the OP's original topic. I don't really know what my post was in response to, just wanted to throw it out there that not everyone notices no difference with pulled versus new grips, whether pulled with a tool or with air. In case someone's reading this and assumes that they can just buy one set of grips and shuffle them from club to club with no ill effects. There is a reason a lot of shops won't reuse grips.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I think the corded grips don't do well when stretched. It almost breaks the threading and severs the connection between the cording and rubber. They just feel kind of tired, wore out, or baggy like an old sock when you reinstall them, and the cords are sticking out everywhere.

> @WidespreadPanic said:

> I’ve been there. Years ago before I did my own grips I took 3-pw to Golfsmith for new grips. All of my clubs had MCC+4’s on them - I asked them to save all the grips and put on Tour Velvets. I left for an hour and when I came back all they had was my regripped clubs. They had cut off $90 worth of grips. It took 30 minutes and 4 employees to get them to make it right. People have admitting mistakes, especially when admitting it will cost them money.

Were you charged extra for them saving your grips? If not, they agreed to a bad deal, in which they could only lose.

> @WidespreadPanic said:

> So what happened between you asking why you weren’t being compensated and him telling you to leave and never come back?

Again, this is a question about the risk of loss when a shop ruins your property (breaks a shaft, whatever), not about if a tough repair results in damage which is a different story. This is about a grip that could have and should have been slid off but that they cut off. It wasn't damaged or ruined as they attempted a repair.

The guy who sliced off the grip that was installed improperly and put a new one one said to go to the register to do an exchange for the one he cut off instead of slide off easily. There really wasn't much of a conversation. I brought up the packaging to the register like he said, I was familiar with the staff there, and simply said it was for an exchange just as the other guy said - there was a problem with the install and the other guy sliced it off and replaced it. This part I neglected to mention - sorry: I asked him if the grip looked "square" to him (always good to get another set of eyes...), and he rolled his eyes and shook his head as he scanned the package, and told me I owed $30 (or whatever it was - $27 plus tax). I smiled, and said, "that's funny!" He said, "no - this isn't a joke...we don't give stuff away...you can't come here and expect us to replace a used grip for free" I said, "well, I just got it, you took it off to add length no problem, then you put it on wrong and then you destroyed it when it was just fine - why should I pay for another grip?" He said, "no, no, that's not how things work" and I said, well, can I speak to a manager about this? And he said that he was the manager...as he grabbed the receipt and said, "just get out of here - xyz golf doesn't need your business. Don't come back - you're not welcome here" I said, "are you kidding? I've been coming here for 25 years, buy all sorts of stuff, and have you guys work on my stuff all the time...there must be some misunderstanding..." He said, "no, there's no misunderstanding...just leave, you're not welcome here any more - don't come back." I said not to worry - if I want to have my clubs worked on, I'll go to somebody who's competent...and I left absolutely incredulous about what transpired.

That's pretty much the scene.

I expected the guy to say, "hey, sorry about that, glad we could fix it...let us know if there's anything else we can help you with...how are you hitting them?" as the conversation would have gone with any of the other people at the shop I dealt with regularly.

> @zip7111 said:

> Have you talked to the GM or manager? You should let his boss know what has been going on and see if they have a resolution.

I did speak to the regular tech whom I ran into in the parking lot a few weeks later, and he asked wtf happened...I explained, and he apologized and said that if I ever needed work done to see him separately, and he's a decent tech who gets the work done pretty quickly, and he said it was bs what the pro did.

I wrote a letter that same day describing the events so that the what transpired would not get altered as time went on, but I haven't sent it yet...at the same time, what is bothersome is that I hesitate about going there. He said not to come back, but I do - it's a public place, it's the course I play most often and it's closest to my home - and I always feel uncomfortable (for a few seconds). I'm still thinking about sending the letter or not...wanted feedback here first to see what people thought about the RISK OF LOSS issue...

Your money is green - it’ll spend anywhere. I’d consider spending your $$ and playing somewhere else.

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

OP, at the risk of playing devil’s advocate, I've noticed that you’ve never stated that to specifically asked the “tech” to save the grip. Did you explicitly ask to have the grip saved or did you just assumed that it would be, since it was before?

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

> @dxdgenert said:

> OP, at the risk of playing devil’s advocate, I've noticed that you’ve never stated that to specifically asked the “tech” to save the grip. Did you explicitly ask to have the grip saved or did you just assumed that it would be, since it was before?

I assumed he would...the tech was out; the “pro” who put it on was on a break; the guy who did it was another asst pro. He saw it, said, oh that’s not right, let’s fix that, and next thing I know It’s been cut off and he says “hand me a new one” and then said to bring it to cashier to “exchange”

It had been installed only an hour before, and he knew it, so slipping it off was no big deal...probably didn’t even need the tool.

Personally, if the scene went down like you say it did, I'd send that letter to whomever would be interested in reading it and not go back to the course until I know that the guy I have a problem with doesn't work there anymore. I'm not familiar with your area, but there's more than enough golf courses around me that I don't have to voluntarily go somewhere that makes me uncomfortable. If your interaction went like you say it did, and I have no reason to think it didn't, I'd be torn between never going back and throwing an overhand right the next time I see that delta bravo. His attitude probably costs the course money, and you probably shouldn't let him bully his way into a pass to treat the next guy that catches him in a psychotic mood like he treated you. He acted like this over a grip. Your life will be better without him in it, but I wouldn't let it slide if it bothered you enough to sit down and "put pen to paper". Have some conviction and make him put his name on it and justify his behavior to someone that matters. Maybe he's just a prick and no one's ever told him.

When I shared the story with a buddy who plays there too, he told me a story about how he needed a box to send some irons to his son. He said that the same guy was standing in the repair area, and there were 5 or 6 empty boxes sitting on the ground...he asked if the store could spare one, and the pro told him, oh, no...no...we can't do that...and went back to what he was doing. He said he went in after the round and asked a different guy in the shop who said, "sure! Take any one you want - we have a bunch laying over there"

Some people are just too good to be civil, I guess.

> @GoIrish17 said:

> Hey man, I wasn’t trying to point fingers or call dirty pool. I’m just honestly curious what would motivate someone to act totally irrationally (like this pro apparently acted - no argument on that). There’s either a totally logical reason for this person to act this way, or there isn’t... and I really don’t doubt it’s because he’s unhinged. I just always wonder if there isn’t some other reason that isn’t being conveniently left out. I mean, it’s not crazy talk to suggest that someone posting a negative experience here may wish to color opinion in their favor. I just wish, if it were a case of “crazy pro”, that we could get a look behind the curtain of their craziness, and get to read why they acted like a child.

I had a golf shop guy go irrational on me. I was in the right and the guy went off and said I was banned from coming back to the course. Like he owned the coursed. I think it's all the chemicals they use on the courses. Either that or they hire unstable people at golf courses. Golf courses are pretty much the only place I encounter employees with poor dispositions.

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> > @GoIrish17 said:

> > Hey man, I wasn’t trying to point fingers or call dirty pool. I’m just honestly curious what would motivate someone to act totally irrationally (like this pro apparently acted - no argument on that). There’s either a totally logical reason for this person to act this way, or there isn’t... and I really don’t doubt it’s because he’s unhinged. I just always wonder if there isn’t some other reason that isn’t being conveniently left out. I mean, it’s not crazy talk to suggest that someone posting a negative experience here may wish to color opinion in their favor. I just wish, if it were a case of “crazy pro”, that we could get a look behind the curtain of their craziness, and get to read why they acted like a child.

>

> I had a golf shop guy go irrational on me. I was in the right and the guy went off and said I was banned from coming back to the course. Like he owned the coursed. I think it's all the chemicals they use on the courses. Either that or they hire unstable people at golf courses. Golf courses are pretty much the only place I encounter employees with poor dispositions.

Then you've never been the post office.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

If that’s the entire story (and I’m not doubting you, just pointing out there are two sides), you should never have been charged for their mistake.

Is 27.00 a large enough amount to risk alienating a good Customer for life? I’m assuming greens fees and cart are probably that much or more. Something they’d make up in one round. Jeesh.

To protect the field per se, you should probably name the course. I’ll make sure I avoid it in the future. Head Pro=Head Head Case.

The club pro is 100% at fault for not recognizing the shoddy job done by his place of employment. Any intent to ignore the "real" issue on his part, and for him to just assume a completely new install is ridiculous, especially since the SNSR grip he removed likely looked new to begin with. What an a-hole.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

> @WidespreadPanic said:

> I’ve been there. Years ago before I did my own grips I took 3-pw to Golfsmith for new grips. All of my clubs had MCC+4’s on them - I asked them to save all the grips and put on Tour Velvets. I left for an hour and when I came back all they had was my regripped clubs. They had cut off $90 worth of grips. It took 30 minutes and 4 employees to get them to make it right. People have admitting mistakes, especially when admitting it will cost them money.

To be fair, Plus4s, well cords in general really, are a huge PITA to save. Second, the cord gets all stretched making them feel a more slippery than new. I wouldn't have saved them either and told you to take them somewhere else if you were adament about getting them saved. It's not as simple a job as some people make it out to be.

• Like 1

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

• 2 weeks later...

> @WristySwing said:

> > @WidespreadPanic said:

> > I’ve been there. Years ago before I did my own grips I took 3-pw to Golfsmith for new grips. All of my clubs had MCC+4’s on them - I asked them to save all the grips and put on Tour Velvets. I left for an hour and when I came back all they had was my regripped clubs. They had cut off $90 worth of grips. It took 30 minutes and 4 employees to get them to make it right. People have admitting mistakes, especially when admitting it will cost them money.

>

> To be fair, Plus4s, well cords in general really, are a huge PITA to save. Second, the cord gets all stretched making them feel a more slippery than new. I wouldn't have saved them either and told you to take them somewhere else if you were adament about getting them saved. It's not as simple a job as some people make it out to be.

I agree that corded grips are a gigantic PITA to save and at the golf shop I worked at, anytime someone asked to save them we always let them know that there’s a moderate chance that they might not be salvageable, and we’d always ask if they’d like a call before we started cutting them off. 9 Times out of 10 the customer wouldn’t care but every so often we’d get that one A-Hole that was adamant about it and “save it at all costs” which usually meant returning a completely unusable grip. Oh well. Their loss. We still got the $ for saving them.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

• 1 month later...

No one regrips anything of mine except me...problem solved.

Too many times ive had golf store people "save" a grip by either cutting it off, stretching it so bad its ruined, or trying to blow it off and it snap rips right in the middle....and yes, still get charged for labor after destroying single putter grips that are worth 30 or 40 dollars more than the labor charge itself.