Simple, proven workout ideas please...

BushwoodJack

Greetings,

Heading into the winter season up north. I'm 48, 6'3, 220. I noticed some distance loss this year, and am interested in hearing about a few simple weight training exercises that have helped other guys on this board. I am NOT a work-out fiend, 3 days a week usually. I'm still very flexible and have no major knee/shoulder injuries. I don't want to hire a personal trainer or try to navigate 100 different TPI workout videos. I'd really just like a few simple exercises that are directed at building golf strength, and perhaps adding a little distance.

Thanks in advance,

Jack

48, 6'1, 230.....ding

I'm going gym in a few mins lol...... I've noticed legs are more important then previously thought for golf..... do some light squats. reverse cable flys for rear delts, and core of course. I like to work out the whole body but wouldn't be much of a post if I just said that...

I try and like my own posts but can't figure out how...

I'm not sure it's that simple, but am interested to hear if it is.

If it's specifically weight training (i.e. no slam ball exercises) then it would need (IMO):

1) An anti-rotational exercise that works the upper body and core like split stance cable chops (just search for the phrase on YouTube)

2) A posterior chain exercise like kettlebell swings, with the focus on thrusting with the hips vs. using the arms. Using a heavy-ish weight will ensure this (25-35 pounds). Look at some of Justin James' videos:

Good luck.

What i did was take a tpi assessment, get the results and send it to a tpi certified fitness instructor and he created a workout for me. Its like 99 dollars a month for the first few months but then he creates a long term plan after that for much cheaper.

The workouts are tailored to my tpi results, plus i asked to add some general fitness and strength building work.

As a basic rule general strength is golf strength. If you're looking for something simple and have access to a gym, I would look at a basic 5x5 barbell routine and build from there. There are a few golf specific exercises you could throw in there, but lots of compound lifts with heavy weights would be a good place to start, and keep it simple.

Best way to add distance would be the superspeed program...

So looks like you work out already so I’ll only say this first part three times; form, form, form. As for workouts I prefer a total body approach. If you over build one part you’ll be lopsided and that can negatively effect you and your game. I do 3 days total body with 4 sets of 8. I also like compound movements; squat, deadlift, bench as it’s more realistic than iso moves. Lastly, add in stretching and not some 5 minute rush job. Dedicate 15 min a day on a head to toe routine.

• Like 1

33, 6'5" 220, played college sports, have had lower back issues. Been super setting lifting with yoga. Workouts look like this 6 days a week:

Monday-Saturday:

Push - yoga - 3 sets of weights - 15 second yoga pose hold

pull - yoga

legs - yoga

push - yoga

pull - yoga

legs - yoga

Will also do some biking before or after and I also take my dog on a walk late a night. Also helps that I intermediate fast from 10pm-12pm the next day. Haven't had lower back or sciatica pain for over 2 years now. Better shape now then when I was in college.

I am a gym guy and I lift for strength. The majority of my lifts are all based on my swing. I have gained 20+ yards per iron (same clubs) over the course of a couple years and 40 yards on my driver. Given this could be because I have also improved my game, but strength has a lot to do with it as well. With that said I train in a 5x5 format meaning I do 5 sets at 5 reps with 80% of my max weight for 4 sets and one set at 100% of my max weight load. The key to any strength lift is to tell your body two things, be prepared for a heavy load over a period of time and be prepared for sudden larger weight. The lower weight with more reps helps your body neurologically understand the process and movement. It is never good to just go balls out, you will hurt yourself. The larger amount of weight tells your body I need to build muscle in order to do this later. Here are some lifts I do:

1: Legs - Squats (front and back, also split or hack) and Deadlifts (trap bar deadlift). Both are key for lower leg power and stability. Both work your bodies natural movement and improve your bodies "push" with your legs. If you get stuck doing either movement, just remember to look up, and stand up.

2. Chest - Bench (flat bar and single arm dumbbell), flys, incline bench, and dips.

3. Rotational core to work your spinal erectors. There are several lifts you can do, the one I prefer most are wood choppers or one I took from Brooks Koepka, where you do a low pull and high push at the same time while turning your torso. Basically one cable goes up, one goes to the floor, and pull and push with core rotation. You can also take a Y-rope and send the attachment joint to one end of the rope, attach it to a cable machine and send the pulley to the top. From there mimic your down swing with hands at shoulder length apart.

4. Don't forget your lats. Simple lat pull downs are very effective. Or if you can do pull ups, do em'

5. Basic Calisthenics - push ups, air squats, etc do help (do not do sit-ups)

6. Look into "explosive" or dynamic movements such as lateral jumps or box jumps. This helps your body understand you have to be prepared to move quickly.

7. Leg raises with twists (or any oblique focused exercise)

8. Anything that mimics a golf swing.

These are some of what I do, I also do a lot of Olympic lifting as it helps with explosive movements, but Oly's can be dangerous if not done correctly. Hope this helps.

Since you say you are not a gym guy, first and foremost, start slow; don't try to go zero to sixty in one workout. The key to ANY workout/fitness program is regularity until it becomes a goal in and of itself, instead of just something that you are doing for golf. Resistance training becomes addictive, and you can get a great workout in an hour or so, but you have to make sure that you don't go supernova at the beginning and get sore and discouraged.

A good starting place is to simply make a circuit of the machines at your gym, with one set of 15 reps, perhaps two sets on the leg machines, experimenting with the weight for each until you find a weight that really pushes you be the end of the set, though not to complete failure. Also, if you want the most benefit, do what about 1% of the people who work out do, and make the eccentric contraction where you let the weight that you've just lifted back down about three times as slowly as you lifted it. That way, you're building strength thru the entire range of motion, which is king for a movement like the golf swing.

Beyond the machines, you can add some free weight stuff as you see fit, but the two that are really worth considering are squats on a Smith machine, and dead lifts with a trap bar. Both are really, really good for core, especially glutes. If your core isn't strong and fit and flexible, you'll have a really hard time "recruiting" other muscle groups to go fast, so whatever you do, focus on core work as much as anything else.

Along those lines, you might want to at least consider connecting with a yoga instructor that comes recommended, and schedule a couple of private sessions to get them to craft a program for you that is focused on rotation. This is at least marginally different that the yoga that is done in classes. I'd lean toward spending any money I was going to spend there instead of with a personal trainer for the weight room, at least at first.

The problem with threads like these is that the answer depends where you are starting from. As you get older, IMO, there are two keys: lower and mid-body strength, and rotational speed. SSG will give you rotational speed (probably the best way to do that, I think). Lower-mid body strength is a little less straight forward, IMO. Personally (60+, 100 mph driver swing), I find deadlifts, squats and total body flexibility to be extremely beneficial. I think the strength is required because you need to be strong to control the faster clubhead speed to the ball.

> @talfredson said:

> 33, 6'5" 220, played college sports, have had lower back issues. Been super setting lifting with yoga. Workouts look like this 6 days a week:

>

> Monday-Saturday:

>

> Push - yoga - 3 sets of weights - 15 second yoga pose hold

> pull - yoga

> legs - yoga

> push - yoga

> pull - yoga

> legs - yoga

>

> Will also do some biking before or after and I also take my dog on a walk late a night. Also helps that I intermediate fast from 10pm-12pm the next day. Haven't had lower back or sciatica pain for over 2 years now. Better shape now then when I was in college.

What are you doing for Yoga? I’m really tired of the sciatica and low back issues

SIM Max USA Edition First Responders Tensei AV Raw Blue 6TX

Titleist TSI3 15 Tensei AV White 7x

PXG 0341X Gen2 18 (16.5)HZRDUS Smoke
PXG 0317X Gen 2 17 (18.5) Evenflow Handcrafted 6.5

PXG 0317X Gen 2 22 Riptide 6.5

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-P $ Taper 120
Vokey SM8 Blackout 50.08F
Vokey SM8 Blackout 54.10S
Mizuno S-21 58.08 
Scotty Cameron H20 11.5 Prototype
TP5 Yellow

> @talfredson said:

> 33, 6'5" 220, played college sports, have had lower back issues. Been super setting lifting with yoga. Workouts look like this 6 days a week:

>

> Monday-Saturday:

>

> Push - yoga - 3 sets of weights - 15 second yoga pose hold

> pull - yoga

> legs - yoga

> push - yoga

> pull - yoga

> legs - yoga

>

> Will also do some biking before or after and I also take my dog on a walk late a night. Also helps that I intermediate fast from 10pm-12pm the next day. Haven't had lower back or sciatica pain for over 2 years now. Better shape now then when I was in college.

I take it you have no wife, g/f or kids. Maybe unemployed too? Lol I’m kidding but that is a lot of working out,

Do deadlifts 3 days a week. Pair it with squats, basic presses(bench press or pushups) and pulls(rows, lat pull down or pull-ups). With a 5 minute dynamic warmup and supersets you can easily be done in 35-40 minutes.

Since you’re not an experienced lifter you will gain strength quickly from neuromuscular efficiency of learning a dynamic posterior chain move under a moderate load.

If you’d like a little more specifics you can DM me.

TSI3 @ 7.25* - Ventus black 7x
G410 hybrid @ 16* - Hzdrus black 85x
Callaway Apex UT 20* - RIP 100x
Honma 737v 4-P - Modus 120tx
RTX Zipcore 52* & 56* - X100

Scotty Cameron Catalina Two

5 x 5 mentioned by others in compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, bench press and power cleans 3x a week is the best program I have used. Power cleans offer the best way to create explosiveness that I know. Only thing is, it requires proper execution for it to be beneficial to you. The technique may require instruction, more time and practice than you may not want or have time for. Another thing, don’t get caught up overdoing the bench press. It is the single most overdone exercise that can and will hurt your deltoids if done to excess or to build your ego.

Big pectorals are not what you are after either. They won’t help you in golf.

I’m 62 now. I did the 5 x 5 program in my late 20’s to my mid 40’s. It is not a bodybuilding routine but it will give you a foundation that is both strong and powerful for any physical task or sport. At my age, I don’t have the recovery powers of my younger days. The foundation I built needs more maintenance from stretching and yoga these days.

I think you said you are 48. You could give it a go still but be smart.

> @Yzmerf said:

> > @talfredson said:

> > 33, 6'5" 220, played college sports, have had lower back issues. Been super setting lifting with yoga. Workouts look like this 6 days a week:

> >

> > Monday-Saturday:

> >

> > Push - yoga - 3 sets of weights - 15 second yoga pose hold

> > pull - yoga

> > legs - yoga

> > push - yoga

> > pull - yoga

> > legs - yoga

> >

> > Will also do some biking before or after and I also take my dog on a walk late a night. Also helps that I intermediate fast from 10pm-12pm the next day. Haven't had lower back or sciatica pain for over 2 years now. Better shape now then when I was in college.

> What are you doing for Yoga? I’m really tired of the sciatica and low back issues

>

I bought a Yoga for Athletes book by Sean Vigue. I also quit putting any sort of weight on my back when lifting. So no back squats. Do lots of front squats, hang cleans, and hip hinge exercises.

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @talfredson said:

> > 33, 6'5" 220, played college sports, have had lower back issues. Been super setting lifting with yoga. Workouts look like this 6 days a week:

> >

> > Monday-Saturday:

> >

> > Push - yoga - 3 sets of weights - 15 second yoga pose hold

> > pull - yoga

> > legs - yoga

> > push - yoga

> > pull - yoga

> > legs - yoga

> >

> > Will also do some biking before or after and I also take my dog on a walk late a night. Also helps that I intermediate fast from 10pm-12pm the next day. Haven't had lower back or sciatica pain for over 2 years now. Better shape now then when I was in college.

>

> I take it you have no wife, g/f or kids. Maybe unemployed too? Lol I’m kidding but that is a lot of working out,

LOL actually I have a wife, 4 boys, and am a high school business teacher. I wake up at 5:15 every day before school and on weekends I wake up at 6:30 before my kids get up. When my kids go to bed at night, I sometimes take my dog for a walk. Working out is a part of my life so I make it work for me.

> @talfredson said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > @talfredson said:

> > > 33, 6'5" 220, played college sports, have had lower back issues. Been super setting lifting with yoga. Workouts look like this 6 days a week:

> > >

> > > Monday-Saturday:

> > >

> > > Push - yoga - 3 sets of weights - 15 second yoga pose hold

> > > pull - yoga

> > > legs - yoga

> > > push - yoga

> > > pull - yoga

> > > legs - yoga

> > >

> > > Will also do some biking before or after and I also take my dog on a walk late a night. Also helps that I intermediate fast from 10pm-12pm the next day. Haven't had lower back or sciatica pain for over 2 years now. Better shape now then when I was in college.

> >

> > I take it you have no wife, g/f or kids. Maybe unemployed too? Lol I’m kidding but that is a lot of working out,

>

> LOL actually I have a wife, 4 boys, and am a high school business teacher. I wake up at 5:15 every day before school and on weekends I wake up at 6:30 before my kids get up. When my kids go to bed at night, I sometimes take my dog for a walk. Working out is a part of my life so I make it work for me.

I was just kidding but my weightlifting seasons are usually an hour, it’s hard to add biking on the end because I will end up being in gym close to 1.5 hours then, if I then added yoga would be even longer esp 6 days a week that would be a lot of time in gym.

I see you are doing the yoga in between sets so that would help on time.

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @talfredson said:

> > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > > @talfredson said:

> > > > 33, 6'5" 220, played college sports, have had lower back issues. Been super setting lifting with yoga. Workouts look like this 6 days a week:

> > > >

> > > > Monday-Saturday:

> > > >

> > > > Push - yoga - 3 sets of weights - 15 second yoga pose hold

> > > > pull - yoga

> > > > legs - yoga

> > > > push - yoga

> > > > pull - yoga

> > > > legs - yoga

> > > >

> > > > Will also do some biking before or after and I also take my dog on a walk late a night. Also helps that I intermediate fast from 10pm-12pm the next day. Haven't had lower back or sciatica pain for over 2 years now. Better shape now then when I was in college.

> > >

> > > I take it you have no wife, g/f or kids. Maybe unemployed too? Lol I’m kidding but that is a lot of working out,

> >

> > LOL actually I have a wife, 4 boys, and am a high school business teacher. I wake up at 5:15 every day before school and on weekends I wake up at 6:30 before my kids get up. When my kids go to bed at night, I sometimes take my dog for a walk. Working out is a part of my life so I make it work for me.

>

> I was just kidding but my weightlifting seasons are usually an hour, it’s hard to add biking on the end because I will end up being in gym close to 1.5 hours then, if I then added yoga would be even longer esp 6 days a week that would be a lot of time in gym.

>

> I see you are doing the yoga in between sets so that would help on time.

Yeah I work out in my basement and it takes me maybe 40 minutes max. I'm not trying to be down there for an hour working out LOL. I do literally zero rest in between sets, just get the heart rate up.