golf gloves giving my skin irritations on a couple of my left hand fingers.

Not sure if this is the right spot. But I figure golf gloves are part of golf equipment. If not, mods please move to appropriate place.

But a couple of months ago. I bought a brand new 2 pack of footjoy gloves. After my first round with the new gloves. I started to get skin irritation on 2 finger. Index finger is the worst. And middle finger is just red and itchy. But I took it back and got a different brand, then another brand. But the same 2 fingers are still irritated. So now I go see a dermatologist in September. Dermatologist just tells me I have an allergic reaction to the leather. Thank you doc for that information. I seriously figured out that part myself. Told me to stop wearing the gloves and find other alternatives. And prescribed me some lotion to apply. And sent me off. I’ve done a small search and have come up empty. Tried to play with no gloves on. But is very uncomfortable. What other alternative is there that isn’t leather?

sxhbgv9dp5xi.jpeg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

99.9% sure this is contact dermatitis. Here are the treatments from Healthline:       How is contact dermatitis treated?   Most cases of contact dermatitis go away on their own once the substance i

Maybe try a single FootJoy rain glove?

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

TaylorMade M2 2017 (16.5) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

PXG 0311 XP Gen3 (17) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Mizuno MP-53 (3-PW, 20-48) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM7 (54.10 S @ 53, 58.10 S @ 59) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115

Edel McKenzie (34)

I have terrible eczema on my fingers, especially when the weather is cooler - you've got a few options...

* try a different brand of glove...has this issue popped up before? maybe FJ treats their leather in a certain way? Either that or buy a synthetic glove like the FLX or something like that.

* use bandages or wrapping tape to cover the exposed areas, especially if they are on a moving joint, then put the glove over top.

* go gloveless

Sounds like the second option might be the best for you.

Lotion won't be a good idea especially if it rubs onto your grips. My hands sweat a ton so I just cover my eczema with hydrocortisone cream then a band-aid, and make sure to rotate gloves to keep them as dry as possible.

I think I had something like that before, but, it wasn't related to an allergic reaction. I forgot what it was, but, it was related to something rubbing on my fingers. I let the skin heal up, and, I was fine after that. While your injury heals up, tape up the area to prevent any abrasion. If you use an interlocking grip, you might try an overlap grip to see if that helps.

Get different grips, something alittle more "sticky" for woods and get a rosin bag. Same rosin as baseball, but they make them small for bowling and tennis. Boom. No glove.

I use MCC+4 and no glove for most shots, other than out of heavy rough or driver.

Also lots of fake leather gloves but I mostly play without a glove.

PING G400 LST 9* Fuji XLR8 51

PING G400 16.5* Fuji XLR8 61

PING i500 3-PW KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

Edel 46* DVR/52* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING Vault Anser 2

I developed issues with my glove hand about 25 years ago, eczema/allergy, whatever. Ever since, I have been wearing a cotton glove underneath my golf glove. Took no time to get used to and haven't had an issue since. Just throw them in washer every few rounds.

[https://amazon.com/CARA-Moisturizing-Eczema-Cotton-Gloves/dp/B078VP4J51/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3DQAE5LBHOJMF&keywords=cotton+medical+gloves+for+eczema&qid=1571230202&sprefix=cotton+medica%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-8](https://www.amazon.com/CARA-Moisturizing-Eczema-Cotton-Gloves/dp/B078VP4J51/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3DQAE5LBHOJMF&keywords=cotton+medical+gloves+for+eczema&qid=1571230202&sprefix=cotton+medica%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-8 "https://amazon.com/CARA-Moisturizing-Eczema-Cotton-Gloves/dp/B078VP4J51/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3DQAE5LBHOJMF&keywords=cotton+medical+gloves+for+eczema&qid=1571230202&sprefix=cotton+medica%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-8")

M5
Epic Flash SZ
Baffler
Apex Pro Smoke '19
SM7 52
Cobra King 58*
Spider Tour CS

Looks like "Contact Dermatitis" and my advice is to throw out those gloves and try something else. Now that you have gotten it, the doctor's advice is correct. Until it clears up, you shouldn't be wearing a glove and use the cream. Wash your hands well and often. IF you feel the need to wear a glove, only put it on to hit the shot and then immediately take it off.

Not wearing a glove is easier than you think. You do need to compensate for the lack of a glove by increasing the thickness of your grips by about +2 wraps of tape.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

> @IDrive300Fsport said:

> > @soregongolfer said:

> > If the irritation is confined to the same spot, use tape or a bandage as the poster above stated. I get callouses on my non-gloved fingers. I cover the spots with tape and it works great.

>

> I’ve tried to wrap it loosely and use bandages. But overtime it comes off due to sweat.

Get the waterproof stuff. The Bandaid brand bandages stay on me for days and I shower multiple times a day.

99.9% sure this is contact dermatitis. Here are the treatments from Healthline:

How is contact dermatitis treated?

Most cases of contact dermatitis go away on their own once the substance is no longer in contact with the skin. Here are some tips you can try at home:

Avoid scratching your irritated skin. Scratching can make the irritation worse or even cause a skin infection that requires antibiotics.

Clean your skin with mild soap and lukewarm water to remove any irritants.

Stop using any products you think might be causing the problem.

Apply bland petroleum jelly like Vaseline to soothe the area.

Try using anti-itch treatments such as calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream (Cortisone-10).

If needed, take an antihistamine drug such as diphenhydramine to cut down on itching and to reduce your allergic response.

You can purchase these items at most drugstores or online.

Most times, contact dermatitis isn’t cause for concern. However, you should seek medical attention if your rash is close to your eyes or mouth, covers a large area of your body, or doesn’t improve with home treatment.

Your doctor can prescribe a more potent steroid cream if home treatments don’t soothe your skin.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

• 11 months later...

@IDrive300Fsport Hi mate I had the same issue but only on my left hand. Did lots of research and could find a cause or cure. Thought it might be my golf glove as it’s the only thing that touches my left hand that doesn’t touch my right. My hands sweat a lot so was hard to play without a glove. I decided to try wrapping my grips with tennis racquet grips. This stopped my hands slipping whilst swinging without a glove and I haven’t had any bad blister or irritation flare ups  

Ok, I have a buddy who has this exact thing, and it turned out that Bionic gloves were the cure for him.  Apparently, something in the tanning and curing process of FJ and most other gloves causes this in a small % of golfers; Bionic gloves are made differently and his hands don't react.  And it doesn't hurt that they are great gloves!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 8:39 AM, bluedot said:

Ok, I have a buddy who has this exact thing, and it turned out that Bionic gloves were the cure for him.  Apparently, something in the tanning and curing process of FJ and most other gloves causes this in a small % of golfers; Bionic gloves are made differently and his hands don't react.  And it doesn't hurt that they are great gloves!

This.  Its most likely the chromium used in the tanning of most leathers.  Ask me how I know this....

I've been dealing with a similar issue for 8 months.  I had similar blisters/bumps that the OP had that started in February during a round in Hawaii, except mine were pretty much on the back of my left hand and oddly on the top of the feet (will get to that later).  At first I thought it might be excema blisters as I get them infrequently during seasonal changes.  After a couple weeks of the standard cream, it wasnt going away and getting worse (still golfing with glove during this time).  Went to the doctor and they told me it looked like a fungal infection.  Fungal cream for about a month and a half to no avail (still playing golf w/glove).  Finally went to a dermatologist and they confirmed it wasnt fungal, but thought my hair follicles were being irritated by something.  Gave me a topical steroid.  Still no change...still playing golf with a leather glove.

I went to a different dermatology department a month or so later because at this point I was getting very irritated with my hand.  This time contact dermatitis was brought up for the first time.  Immediately, one of the doctors asked if I played golf (apparently a golfer himself) and if I wore leather sandals.  I confirmed both.  He thought I was having an allergic reaction to the leather.  Gave me a stronger steroid and it finally started clearing up on my hand after I stopped wearing a glove altogether. 

About a month later, the no glove thing was affecting my golf game in a negative way.  Since I was using Kirkland gloves, and I had never had this reaction before, thought it might be just the Kirklands.  So I tried some Titleist Players.  Boom it flared up again.  So I went back to the dermatologist and they did a patch test.  Confirmed that my body developed an allergic reaction to chromium (I say developed because I've worn leather gloves for years and worn leather sandals my whole life).  Turns out after a little research that most leather for clothing is tanned with chromium salts.  So the key for me was to find some FULLY synthetic gloves (easier to do) or find some leather gloves that arent treated with chromium (much harder - havent found any - might give the bionics a try after reading the posts above).  Im currently in a Callaway synthetic glove that I cant remember the name of.  No issues so far.

I know that was long winded, but hope it helps.  

Edited by jak77