Fell in love with walking

mvhoffman

I have been golfing now about 15 years and maybe had a handful of rounds that I actually walked. One day while tooling around on Facebook marketplace I came across a push cart 5 miles from my house. Looked nice, good quality, mint condition... $30. I figured why not, i'll start walking... that was last year... DIDN'T walk once. Fast forwarding to this year, I got sick of playing the 4-6 hour rounds that it has become during the day and thought wow, if only they were open at 6am... Then realizing I had the push cart, my local club allows walkers at really anytime just square up in the clubhouse afterwards so I started walking a little over a month ago. I have walked 27 holes one day but mostly it is 18 holes Sat morning and 18 Sunday morning and 18 holiday mornings. I only get charged 1/2 the time and have met some cool people. My golf game has improved, my love of the game has increased and I have caused a few people to get push carts from my normal group and join me early. Attached are a few neat pictures that I took while documenting my early morning rounds. My quickest has been 1 hour and 56 minutes, I was by myself that day so I could just go.

My Cart and Clubs

dnapqvyoc6b7.jpg

txxkwatu6deh.jpg

4ynkq7rjasoj.jpg

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Yep I hate taking the cart. Too much time messing around and driving to the other guys ball, I wanna hit my shot and walk straight to my ball, thinking about my next shot. Keeps me in a much better rhythym I find. And I would bet unless both people in the cart are hitting center fairway and GIRs, its much faster to both walk to your own balls.

Not to mention if its cart path only, now your trying to estimate your yardage from the path, bring a few clubs out to the ball, get a real yardage, play the shot pick up your clubs walk back to the path put them back in the bag then drive to the other guys shot. Would be on the green and reading my putt by now if I was walking! Plus I find when driving your just bombing around not really taking in the sights or experience of the course nearly as much as when walking. And when tempers flare, your not stuck next to the guy in the car, you can get away and keep your own mental game in place haha

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I play a course where the greensfee covered the entire day. It does not have a range, so I would get there at 7AM and play until 7PM. The most I ever walked was 54 holes in a day. I treated the first round as a warmup and was locked in by the second. I always enjoyed how the course would change throughout the day.

If anything can go right, it might!

I grew up playing very walkable courses in Maine. Not surprisingly, they were all older courses. Carts were reserved for the odd charity scramble and stuff like that. Not only was walking cheaper, it was just the default option for us, and for a lot of people on the golf course. Why would we use a cart? It seemed pointless.

Since moving to Pittsburgh, I have not found a single course that I would consider decently walkable. There are courses that CAN be walked, but it's a feat. Not only are the courses set up for carts, they are EXTREMELY hilly. Like they were designed with no regards to actually walking the course. Again, not surprisingly, these courses are a bit newer. There are older courses around here, but they're mostly expensive or private.

I don't really have much of a point other than to lament the death of my walking golf game. That's how I'd rather play, but I simply can't. And if anyone knows of any decently walkable courses in the Pittsburgh area, let me know!

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

> @MaineMariner said:

> I grew up playing very walkable courses in Maine. Not surprisingly, they were all older courses. Carts were reserved for the odd charity scramble and stuff like that. Not only was walking cheaper, it was just the default option for us, and for a lot of people on the golf course. Why would we use a cart? It seemed pointless.

>

> Since moving to Pittsburgh, I have not found a single course that I would consider decently walkable. There are courses that CAN be walked, but it's a feat. Not only are the courses set up for carts, they are EXTREMELY hilly. Like they were designed with no regards to actually walking the course. Again, not surprisingly, these courses are a bit newer. There are older courses around here, but they're mostly expensive or private.

>

> I don't really have much of a point other than to lament the death of my walking golf game. That's how I'd rather play, but I simply can't. And if anyone knows of any decently walkable courses in the Pittsburgh area, let me know!

I'm here in the Scranton area on the opposite side of PA. We are surrounded by hills and Valleys. Thankfully there are still courses that aren't terrible to walk. My primary course there are only 4-5 holes that kill ya afterwards, but friendly for the most part

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

great post

I don't walk the course enough anymore, but will change that next year

Do a lot of elliptical and treadmill stuff so I don't feel overly guilty

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I don’t walk very much anymore because of health issues but every once in a while when I feel up to it I will try and walk nine. I enjoy it very much and wish I could do it more.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

> @mvhoffman said:

> > @MaineMariner said:

> > I grew up playing very walkable courses in Maine. Not surprisingly, they were all older courses. Carts were reserved for the odd charity scramble and stuff like that. Not only was walking cheaper, it was just the default option for us, and for a lot of people on the golf course. Why would we use a cart? It seemed pointless.

> >

> > Since moving to Pittsburgh, I have not found a single course that I would consider decently walkable. There are courses that CAN be walked, but it's a feat. Not only are the courses set up for carts, they are EXTREMELY hilly. Like they were designed with no regards to actually walking the course. Again, not surprisingly, these courses are a bit newer. There are older courses around here, but they're mostly expensive or private.

> >

> > I don't really have much of a point other than to lament the death of my walking golf game. That's how I'd rather play, but I simply can't. And if anyone knows of any decently walkable courses in the Pittsburgh area, let me know!

>

> I'm here in the Scranton area on the opposite side of PA. We are surrounded by hills and Valleys. Thankfully there are still courses that aren't terrible to walk. My primary course there are only 4-5 holes that kill ya afterwards, but friendly for the most part

Hey fellow Scranton area resident. Definitely are some walkable course but a lot of them are a real hike. Usually only walking I do is the small 9 hole for practice

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

I don't mean to be mean. But golf was invented for fresh air, nothing more or less. Carts aren't meant to be a thing. 5 holes walking is slicker than 18 holes in a cart.

Glad you came around full circle. Walking is for the real players. Riding solo is something even swifter if you get my drift...

good luck.

> @The7thLetter said:

> Only way to play the game - I wish more people in the US would walk.

Amen, that's also why I love going to the UK & Ireland for golf trips...would choose that over pretty much any USA "resort" style golf trip

I grew up walking all the time...now 80%+ of my US golf is riding

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Im in the UK so walking is the norm, im a member of a private club & we have about 200 members, there are 2 carts! think ive seen one being used about 5 times in total

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

> @Superbrit said:

> Im in the UK so walking is the norm, im a member of a private club & we have about 200 members, there are 2 carts! think ive seen one being used about 5 times in total

I couldnt imagine using a cart more than maybe once or twice a year at a resort

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

I've always walked and will until I am no longer capable (which will hopefully not be until I'm dead). I walk a lot anyway. I don't generally go rambling around the countryside but I do walk for an hour (4 miles+ ) every lunch break and sometimes walk around my town just because I have nothing better to do.

Walking is good for you both physically and mentally. But returning more specifically to golf I find it gives me more time to appreciate the beauty of the course. I don't mean that I'm a slow golfer (hell no!) but when you're driving in a buggy or even riding one the scenery just seems to pass by in a blur. Golf becomes nothing more than a sequence of swings interrupted by brief periods of boring travel.

We all know what Mark Twain said but I feel the exact opposite. A good walk is _enhanced_ by stopping to swing a golf club occasionally. It gives meaning to the experience. For me using a buggy is like playing a golf simulator - all swing and no atmosphere.

Thankfully buggies are still uncommon in the UK - a lot of clubs like mine don't even allow them in competitions unless the player is exempted on medical grounds.

> @caniac6 said:

> I'll ride when it's very hot, but I walk almost all the time. I'm 65, and have been playing close to 50 years. My father is 91, and still playing. He walked well into his 80s, and I think this has helped him stay active and healthy for so long.

There's a chap I meet occasionally at my club who must be in his 80s and he walks 9 while carrying. Meanwhile there's me playing 18 with an electric trolley - albeit with more clubs in my bag :)

> @MaineMariner said:

> I grew up playing very walkable courses in Maine. Not surprisingly, they were all older courses. Carts were reserved for the odd charity scramble and stuff like that. Not only was walking cheaper, it was just the default option for us, and for a lot of people on the golf course. Why would we use a cart? It seemed pointless.

>

> Since moving to Pittsburgh, I have not found a single course that I would consider decently walkable. There are courses that CAN be walked, but it's a feat. Not only are the courses set up for carts, they are EXTREMELY hilly. Like they were designed with no regards to actually walking the course. Again, not surprisingly, these courses are a bit newer. There are older courses around here, but they're mostly expensive or private.

>

> I don't really have much of a point other than to lament the death of my walking golf game. That's how I'd rather play, but I simply can't. And if anyone knows of any decently walkable courses in the Pittsburgh area, let me know!

Well, welcome to Pittsburgh, unfortunately we are sw Pennsylvania and not Maine we have what we have, how about north park, South Park, lindenwood, riverview in Elizabeth, schenley Park is only walking. Stoughton acres, Blackhawk just to name a few. Not sure what makes a course unwalkable for you? We have hills and valleys not going to change.

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

We were playing yesterday morning, and ran into a couple out walking the cart path. They were from Northern Ireland, and were visiting their daughter in North Carolina. The guy was 71, and works as a caddie at Royal County Down. He's had two hip replacements, and still does two loops per day. If that's not inspiring, I don't know what is!

I bought one of these a little over a year ago, and I've probably walked 80-90% of my rounds this season. I even convinced my wife to get one as well.

![](https://static.golfonline.co.uk/media/img/m3_pro_2018_alpine_th.600x600.jpg "")

I've been playing golf for close to 25 years now, and before this season I was definitely a cart guy. Though I will admit that part of the reason we got the Motocaddys is because we joined a private club last year, and they ding you $18 per person to take a cart for 18 holes. Our course is pretty walk-able, and having this helps with the few holes where we do have to huff it uphill.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I learned to play from my grandfather who always rode. Taking a cart was all I knew initially. Later started playing with my friends and we couldn't afford carts. My thought at the time was that carts were a luxury, something to strive for. When I started playing again about 5 years ago at the age of 50, I came to the realization that golf was meant to be played walking and choose it whenever practical. I feel that anyone who's capable of walking but chooses a cart most of the time is missing out on some of the joys and benefits of the game. I regularly play with guys in their 70's who walk, some carrying, some with push carts, who strongly believe that walking the course regularly has helped them stay healthy and strong. And to top it off, they're better golfers than I am.

> @MaineMariner said:

>

>

I've lived in and around Pittsburgh most of my life. It's pretty impossible to find a course that's fairly flat...especially a public one. There are walkable courses out there though. There may be one or two holes with a good distance between holes but for the most part they are fairly close. Now that I live over near Youngstown, there are a bunch of older courses and courses that were private that went public that you can walk. I think a lot of courses now ding you for the same price walking as they do riding, so you aren't really saving any money. But yeah...if the hills and valleys are an issue, Pittsburgh isn't going to be walker friendly.

I never rode when I started playing in the late 60’s because I had no money. Then for most of my golf life all I did was ride because that’s what my buddies did and courses in Palm Springs discourage walking. After retiring I joined a couple of leagues that have a lot of walkers. Now I walk 2x a week and hopefully will be doing it for a long time. I’m 68 and several of the walkers have 15 years on me including a few who carry because they don’t like to push a cart. I’m not a walking purist though. If it’s over 95 I’m riding. The courses I play are hilly and the heat is brutal for walking.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

> @BKN1964 said:

> I learned to play from my grandfather who always rode. Taking a cart was all I knew initially. Later started playing with my friends and we couldn't afford carts. My thought at the time was that carts were a luxury, something to strive for. When I started playing again about 5 years ago at the age of 50, I came to the realization that golf was meant to be played walking and choose it whenever practical. I feel that anyone who's capable of walking but chooses a cart most of the time is missing out on some of the joys and benefits of the game. I regularly play with guys in their 70's who walk, some carrying, some with push carts, who strongly believe that walking the course regularly has helped them stay healthy and strong. And to top it off, they're better golfers than I am.

Couldn’t agree more on the fitness thing. I reckon walking the course will add years to the average golfer’s useful golf life.