The Challenge: Japan Skins

Darth Putter

> @HackerGT said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @dalehead said:

> > > > @fredstar said:

> > > > I was going to say how infatuated JD seems with Tiger. Now he has borrowed and wearing his vest.

> > >

> > > Just like a lot of guys here.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @dalehead said:

> > > > > @fredstar said:

> > > > > I was going to say how infatuated JD seems with Tiger. Now he has borrowed and wearing his vest.

> > > >

> > > > Just like a lot of guys here.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > There’s only a couple fans here that would borrow the mans clothes , and it’s not the one you’d think either. Lol. Borrowing another dudes vest is wayyyy over the top. In my opinion of course.

> >

> > **TW is built like a line backer, no way he borrowed Tiger's vest, he would be swimming in it**

>

> What, a high school linebacker? I remember golf announcers saying Tiger was built like a defensive back and Koepka like a linebacker. Did you see those rugby players on the par 3 team play? Those guys are built like linebackers, not Tiger or Brooks for that matter.

>

> Those guys were huge! And still had good golf swings.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> @bunta said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @dalehead said:

> > > > @fredstar said:

> > > > I was going to say how infatuated JD seems with Tiger. Now he has borrowed and wearing his vest.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @dalehead said:

> > > > > I was going to say how infatuated JD seems with Tiger. Now he has borrowed and wearing his vest.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > There’s only a couple fans here that would borrow the mans clothes , and it’s not the one you’d think either. Lol. Borrowing another dudes vest is wayyyy over the top. In my opinion of course.

> >

> > TW is built like a line backer, no way he borrowed Tiger's vest, he would be swimming in it

>

>

> tiger is not built like a linebacker. I was 2 feet away from him. Hes my height - 6'0 maybe even 5'11 tbh. . He looks like he has broad chest but really he has a TINY (and i mean tiny) waist which makes him look bigger. Huge glutes lol. Hes 180 185 give take a few.

Bros smh.

> @bunta said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @dalehead said:

> > > > @fredstar said:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @dalehead said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > TW is built like a line backer, no way he borrowed Tiger's vest, he would be swimming in it

>

>

> tiger is not built like a linebacker. I was 2 feet away from him. Hes my height - 6'0 maybe even 5'11 tbh. . He looks like he has broad chest but really he has a TINY (and i mean tiny) waist which makes him look bigger. Big glutes. Hes 180 185 give take a few.

I saw TW at the PGA.

He is built like a punter. Or maybe a waiter.

Although, I think TW could just go walk on the Jets team for LB and be like 2nd in the depth chart.

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @bunta said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @dalehead said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @dalehead said:

> > > > > > @fredstar said:

> > > > > > I was going to say how infatuated JD seems with Tiger. Now he has borrowed and wearing his vest.

> > > > >

> > > > > Just like a lot of guys here.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > There’s only a couple fans here that would borrow the mans clothes , and it’s not the one you’d think either. Lol. Borrowing another dudes vest is wayyyy over the top. In my opinion of course.

> > >

> > > TW is built like a line backer, no way he borrowed Tiger's vest, he would be swimming in it

> >

> >

> > tiger is not built like a linebacker. I was 2 feet away from him. Hes my height - 6'0 maybe even 5'11 tbh. . He looks like he has broad chest but really he has a TINY (and i mean tiny) waist which makes him look bigger. Big glutes. Hes 180 185 give take a few.

>

>

> I saw TW at the PGA.

>

> He is built like a punter. Or maybe a waiter.

>

> Although, I think TW could just go walk on the Jets team for LB and be like 2nd in the depth chart.

>

The Jets would have had a better chance against the Rancor tonight.

Yes I'm waiting for the trailer.

> @kevinscott22 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> >

> > I just did the math. And if I’m correct on time zones it was 1 in the afternoon Japan time when it aired here at midnight. They could have started at 10 am Japanese time and it would have been 9 pm here. Makes zero sense to me if you’re selling that airtime.

>

> This event wasn't made with only your schedule in mind, bladehunter. It took place on the opposite side of the earth so the timing is not always going to be perfect for you. Showing this on a 16 hour delay would be useless as we would already know the results via the internet/social media, etc and not bother tuning in. They are trying to expand golf into other regions of the world and accommodate those loyal golf fans who often have to stay up at odd hours to watch all the big events that take place in the USA. Let them have this one, man!

>

Exactly.

Enjoyed the gimmick holes of this. Watching replay tonight. Only challenge was figgering out when it would be replayed today on GC, likely due to Champions Tour event Monday finish.

Definitely agree with many here that golf season is too long. Showing what a geezer I am, but, the old early season end followed by silly season was more enjoyable. But, the cash bags are too big to reverse that now.

> @BMC said:

> Fun to watch. They scrape it around like us mortals when they're not focused. The banter was light, but not that entertaining.

They were still par or better so your mortals must be plus handicaps ;) i think since we saw every shot and there was commentary it made their golf look worse. Their scores were not that bad.

Found the replay. Enjoyed it mostly. Then had to laugh literally out loud when I noticed that it finished in the dark. Seems that starting it 3 hours earlier would have fit their schedule better too. The irony in that vs those who claim to correct me by saying that my schedule wasn’t the only one considered ( thanks captain and first mate obvious ) is just too much.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @jaredt22 said:

> Clearly, I'm in the minority, here, but I actually enjoyed watching this. It was more of the laid-back, relaxed vibe that was appealing, rather than what is usually seen on the tour broadcasts. They all seemed to play faster, with much less caddie conversation, and setups, and the casual conversations between shots and holes was a nice addition. There were bad shots, mediocre shots, and some really good shots, which were all enjoyable to watch, as a "once-in-a-while" event. I also enjoyed the 3 "charity challenge" holes, where there were a few twists, just to change things up a bit. I watched the first hour live, DVR'd the rest, and finished watching the rest of it, this morning. All in all, I enjoyed the entire thing. Of course there were a few small things that weren't great (Geoff Ogilvy's commentary, or lack thereof), but not enough to deter me from watching another one of these, if it were to happen.

I apparently fall into the minority with you. My wife and I watched the first 9 last night on the rerun of it, and I DVRd the rest. I plan to watch it this evening. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

> @"Frasier Crane" said:

> > @jaredt22 said:

> > Clearly, I'm in the minority, here, but I actually enjoyed watching this. It was more of the laid-back, relaxed vibe that was appealing, rather than what is usually seen on the tour broadcasts. They all seemed to play faster, with much less caddie conversation, and setups, and the casual conversations between shots and holes was a nice addition. There were bad shots, mediocre shots, and some really good shots, which were all enjoyable to watch, as a "once-in-a-while" event. I also enjoyed the 3 "charity challenge" holes, where there were a few twists, just to change things up a bit. I watched the first hour live, DVR'd the rest, and finished watching the rest of it, this morning. All in all, I enjoyed the entire thing. Of course there were a few small things that weren't great (Geoff Ogilvy's commentary, or lack thereof), but not enough to deter me from watching another one of these, if it were to happen.

>

> agreed... I tuned in for what I could, I liked it.... definitely like the laid-back atmosphere and the hyper-aggressiveness of the skins format. I remember a couple holes in particular, their driving was spectacular.

That slight dogleg right par 5 where they all hit big fades around/over the corner of the trees was a fantastic example of spectacular driving of the ball.

Some of y’all seriously need to get a grip with the complaining. Pissing and moaning about the broadcasts on regular events, complaining about everything to do with this exhibition, it never ends. If you do t like watching golf, don’t watch it. What’s the sense in watching it just to hate watching it, then come here to cry about it?

> @bladehunter said:

> Found the replay. Enjoyed it mostly. Then had to laugh literally out loud when I noticed that it finished in the dark. Seems that starting it 3 hours earlier would have fit their schedule better too. The irony in that vs those who claim to correct me by saying that my schedule wasn’t the only one considered ( thanks captain and first mate obvious ) is just too much.

I’m pretty sure they intended it to finish in the dark, hence why they had lights on standby.

> @bigred90gt said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Found the replay. Enjoyed it mostly. Then had to laugh literally out loud when I noticed that it finished in the dark. Seems that starting it 3 hours earlier would have fit their schedule better too. The irony in that vs those who claim to correct me by saying that my schedule wasn’t the only one considered ( thanks captain and first mate obvious ) is just too much.

>

> I’m pretty sure they intended it to finish in the dark, hence why they had lights on standby.

>

Well on that note I’ll just bow out ....lol.

Maybe I don’t understand Japanese golf custom? I had no clue dark golf was a thing.

It was ok to watch while the sun was up. But I lost interest and flipped it off when the darkness came. Can’t follow the shots at all. Neither could the camera guys.

I will say it was an epic fail as far as viewing enjoyment compared to all the

marketing that they did stateside. It’s totally cool for it to be a Japanese event. But I don’t get why they advertised it here , and then the viewing was so wonky? Said to come on at 11.... comes on at 12. Then said to replay next day at 2. Doesn’t come on. Then randomly it’s on yesterday evening while the guide says it should be senior tour.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

To me, the most interesting part of this match was how "everyday golfer" they looked... it was much more like what us amateurs experience with playing an unfamiliar course, not having 3 days to prepare for a round, not having caddies with a high level of course knowledge walking us through shots, limited focus and a relaxed attitude, etc.. There were plenty of VERY POOR shots and even a couple complete disaster holes for all of them.

I realize they're 1000 times better than all of us combined, but its neat to see that the level of golf was not all that different when they're playing in a casual round. Crazy how much better they hit it when locked in during a tour event!!

> @bladehunter said:

> > @bigred90gt said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > Found the replay. Enjoyed it mostly. Then had to laugh literally out loud when I noticed that it finished in the dark. Seems that starting it 3 hours earlier would have fit their schedule better too. The irony in that vs those who claim to correct me by saying that my schedule wasn’t the only one considered ( thanks captain and first mate obvious ) is just too much.

> >

> > I’m pretty sure they intended it to finish in the dark, hence why they had lights on standby.

> >

>

> Well on that note I’ll just bow out ....lol.

>

> Maybe I don’t understand Japanese golf custom? I had no clue dark golf was a thing.

>

> It was ok to watch while the sun was up. But I lost interest and flipped it off when the darkness came. Can’t follow the shots at all. Neither could the camera guys.

>

> I will say it was an epic fail as far as viewing enjoyment compared to all the

> marketing that they did stateside. It’s totally cool for it to be a Japanese event. But I don’t get why they advertised it here , and then the viewing was so wonky? Said to come on at 11.... comes on at 12. Then said to replay next day at 2. Doesn’t come on. Then randomly it’s on yesterday evening while the guide says it should be senior tour.

That has to be an issue with your guide then. My guide showed it coming on at 7:00pm, and that's when it came on.

There's a course near me that has lights. Full length 18 hole par 72 course. During the summer, you can tee off as late as 7:00pm for 18 holes. You end up playing the front at dusk and the back in the dark with the lights. It's a blast. A very different golf experience. I used to carry a flashlight in my bag to help finding wayward shots. Tracking the ball is quite easy if you keep it inside the confines of the light posts. Once it goes out, it disappears.

We'll have to agree to disagree with it being a fail.

No, night golf is not thing in Japan. It gets dark early in Japan (before 5pm), and it was scheduled to start at 1 pm. Was it delayed? I don't know. They stayed in downtown Tokyo, which is quite a ride from the course. Maybe they were stuck in traffic getting to the course and started late? But, they had the lights ready, either way.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

> @straightshot7 said:

> Fun to watch but that's because I'm a golfanatic.

>

> I think it missed someone like Phil to be outspoken and stir the pot.

>

> It made me like Rory more - seems like a genuinely nice guy.

>

> Tiger is too, he's just more quiet on the course.

hilarious, on 5 no one hit the green. and the hole where the rugby players joined was fun to watch.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

> @bladehunter said:

> > @dalehead said:

> > > @fredstar said:

> > > I was going to say how infatuated JD seems with Tiger. Now he has borrowed and wearing his vest.

> >

> > Just like a lot of guys here.

> >

> >

>

> There’s only a couple fans here that would borrow the mans clothes , and it’s not the one you’d think either. Lol. Borrowing another dudes vest is wayyyy over the top. In my opinion of course.

I was thinking more about the infatuation than the clothes borrowing.

I thought it was pretty good. Was it like watching the Masters....not at all, but there's no need to find something to complain about. If I had to guess, it was more of a charity thing. I thought they would be chirping each other a little more and with a little more color but I get having to behave for TV. I thought the Rugby players were fun to watch. I felt bad for Matsuyama, it didn't look like he was having much fun. I can only imagine the amount of pressure he felt having to be the host of something like that. All four players missing the green on 5 was great to watch too, only because of the reaction of the guys. I thought for what the event was, it was perfectly fine.

> @marmooskapaul said:

> Beat the heck out of Monday Night Football!!! Unless you’re a Pats fan I guess.

I am, but even I was a little bored with that game and kept switching over to watch the golf. Enjoyable banter and interesting course as well. Pretty odd formats though. But overall it helps to give these guys some personality as it doesn't really come through on tournament days.

> @bigred90gt said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Found the replay. Enjoyed it mostly. Then had to laugh literally out loud when I noticed that it finished in the dark. Seems that starting it 3 hours earlier would have fit their schedule better too. The irony in that vs those who claim to correct me by saying that my schedule wasn’t the only one considered ( thanks captain and first mate obvious ) is just too much.

>

> I’m pretty sure they intended it to finish in the dark, hence why they had lights on standby.

>

Yep, they clearly wanted an after dark experience and they wanted the banter.....the golf was secondary hence the low skin dollars.....Just an exhibition to introduce the golf course....I would venture to guess that NIKE put up the skin money, seeing as how it was a NIKE clothing ad.

> @dalehead said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @dalehead said:

> > > > @fredstar said:

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > There’s only a couple fans here that would borrow the mans clothes , and it’s not the one you’d think either. Lol. Borrowing another dudes vest is wayyyy over the top. In my opinion of course.

>

> I was thinking more about the infatuation than the clothes borrowing.

Guaranteed if tiger asked if you wanted to wear his used shirt, half the fanboys would!

> @musclefront said:

> > @dalehead said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @dalehead said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > I was thinking more about the infatuation than the clothes borrowing.

>

> Guaranteed if tiger asked if you wanted to wear his used shirt, half the fanboys would!

Day did it and won. He should just keep wearing it!

uqu92lwavk9q.png

• Like 1

Jason Day and Tiger are friends. If Jason forgot a sweater and Tiger has an extra vest, it's perfectly acceptable to borrow your friend's vest.

That should go without saying. Jeez, tough crowd.

Side note: It seemed like Jason's caddie was a total amateur and Jason was having to coach him on what to do. A seasoned pro caddie would have probably checked to make sure he had a sweater on board.

P.s. are we really talking about this?

• Like 1