Any info on the Scotty Cameron Select 2020 line?

After demoing the new Special Selects in the pro shop, I'm selling my TaylorMade Juno and Spider X for the new Newport 2, that thing exceeded all my expectations; its the best feel and sound in an OTR Scotty I've ever seen.

Callaway Mavrik 9.0
TaylorMade M6 3 wood
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 iron
TaylorMade P770 4-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges 50, 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Excellent comparison from over on TCC via north_east_pro. The 2020 has a thinner topline and the shoulder to bumper transition is softer. Great improvements to me I prefer the 2020.

Here's the final product if anyone was curious...translucent blue, white and black. Super simple version is to use paint stripper and acetone to remove the paint, put on the new color filling the engr

Posted Images

Went in for a newport 2 and walked out with a squareback 2 which was pretty suprising as I have always loved newport 2 shape and weight. I wasnt even interested in squareback 2 until I started putting with it. It felt great and I seemed to be holeing everything with it. I got it in 34" and it has 15 g weights. Im definitely interested in getting some 10 g weights. Does anybody know where I could get some authentic 10 g weights for the squareback 2?

I am shocked at the clamor for these.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

I spent a good bit of time with each of the models at the course yesterday. Must say... I'm not as impressed/ excited with the shapes as I thought I would be. To me, the Newport shapes of the 2016 and 2018 models were better to look at then this years models. I think out of the whole line the only one I could see myself gaming would be the Fastback 1.5.

I would guess the new grip is around 77-81 grams. I put the 35" 2020 NP2 on the swingweight scale and it weighed about D7-8. My Studio Stainless NP2 is 35" 350 with an old school dancing cameron pingman grip (57grams), and the swing weight is E2 on the money.

Based on this, I would guess that the head on the 2020 NP2 is 350g at 35", and about a 20 gram reduction in grip weight would give me about 5 additional swingweight points i'm looking for.

Also to answer an earlier question, Tiger's putter is around 325-330 grams since those 35" putters back then were built at about 330 grams with around a D4 swingweight. Tiger would either add 1/4" to the shaft or use lead tape to make it heavier, but it was typically 35" and 325-330g.

There is no need to guess. Someone over on TCC pulled the head and weights of a 2020 NP 2 Special Select. It weighed 283 grams. So the 35" Newport 2 would be 343 grams. The Newport should be the same. Obviously there will be some tolerance for error, but the 35" is 350 grams that is being perpetuated is wrong. If you want a 350 gram head go for the 34" models in the blades.35" = 343 grams34" = 353 grams33" = 363 grams

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

I tried out a Newport today.. nice feeling putter but need to order one more upright and a little heavier. I might just stick with my 8 year old gamer. I do think this is one of the nicer releases in quite a while. Sure wish the newport didn't have the sightline though.

Titleist TSi3 8.0 Smoke Blue RDX  60TX
Titleist TSi3 13.5 Tensei AV Raw white 75x
Mizuno MP20mb 4-pw Project X LZ
Vokey SM7 56M 08, 60L04
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport

Yep.. I was hoping with the heavier weights they would have the same feel as my black mist select from 2012. It is the 1/500 with the heavier weights. The special was close, but not what I wanted. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but these are nice putters.

Titleist TSi3 8.0 Smoke Blue RDX  60TX
Titleist TSi3 13.5 Tensei AV Raw white 75x
Mizuno MP20mb 4-pw Project X LZ
Vokey SM7 56M 08, 60L04
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport

I rolled these some. They are nice but retail Scotty putters are over rated.

Save your money till you have like 600-700 and get something truly custom. There are lots of companies out there that are around the range.

I've actually been looking hard for a solid milled face putter with the same shape.. found a miura and it was nice, tested an EVNROLL and it was pretty sweet as well.. I find the NP3 just matches with my stroke and have played with a DelMar, in the past so I figured I'd stick with Scotty.. But you're right, I should open my options up as the cost is quite significant..

Cheers,

• Like 1

I will not necessarily say they are better. For the most part a milled putter is a milled putter. I just think that $400 for a run of the mill putter is a lot. Sure $600 is more but it will be more individual and no one else will have the same one.

You get the exact material, feel, neck, finish, stamping, sight dot/line. Scotty is $400 plus tax retail. You can get a nice completely custom Lajosi for $550 as long as you don't want GSS or damascus steel. Goodwood is making good putters as well for $300 fully milled and custom options are reasonable. I will be buying one of those try when he makes his next batch next month. Byron makes the timeless DH89 head for $500 just about all normal options included as well so not as much more as you might think. Machine, Byron, Lajosi, Piretti all make great feeling putters for the money now a days and cost isn't that much more then a run of the mill Scotty you will see a dozen of at your local course

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65

Titleist 915fd 15* Smoke 70S

Titleist 816 H2 19* Diamana 100X

Titleist 716 T-MB 4 Iron PX 6.5

Titleist 690 MB 5-PW PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 52 & 56 PX 6.5, 61* S400

Piretti GOAT

Full disclosure. This is the dumbest and smallest gripe ever. But I wish the font on the grips of the Phantom line and the Special Selects were traded for each other. Above feels like a “Phantom” font, while the “Dancin’ Scotty Cameron” feels out of place on the Phantom line, and more like the traditional Select putters.

Again, dumb and small gripe ... but also might be the best idea on these 52 pages.