MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just wanted to report back on my experience with the DF 2.1. I absolutely love it. I finally had a chance to get it out on the course for 27 holes this week, and I must say... this putter has kicked

Or hear me out. You draw/tape the lines on a stock head and save yourself $175.   Think smarter not grumpier.

Hey Folks, my name is Sam Hahn. I am the CEO at L.A.B. Golf and I am having so much fun seeing these reviews! I also love seeing the community at work. Talking to each other about things you've notice

Posted Images

Just spend a good part of my day reading this thread, and Im just about ready to pull the trigger. Putter looks is a funny thing, we all worry about that dumb social pressure of what people think, but when i think back, 2 of my best performing putters Ive ever owed were black swans, and got made fun of. The original Scotty Cameron Futura, and the Rife two bar hybrid mallet.

Im not sure why the Rife was so good for me, maybe just a perfect marriage for my stroke, but interestingly, the DF, to me is strikingly familiar to the OG futura. Shaft entering the center of the head, appearance of “onset” with some backweighting. I know the OG futura isnt lie balanced though. 

For the past 2 years Ive been searching for that magic, or at least something that was as good as the ol two bar. I stayed with rife for a bit, with the cayman brac, but that was very short lived. Then tried counterbalanced, with a betti SS#3 cb. I had some good success with it and it stayed in for almost a year. But it just wasnt that perfect match i was looking for. I play at between a 1 and +1, and i consider myself a very good putter inside 5 ft, and a good lag putter, and that is regardless of what putter im using. Where i know i could do better is that 5-12ft range that would take my game to the next level, ideally holing 1-3 more putts a round.

I just got my son who is 14 and getting into golf his starter set, and got him a white hot xg number #9 from a secondhand shop. This putter in no way should be good for me, extreme toe flow. I started putting with it around the house and was loving the stroke i was putting on it, and it got the wheels spinning. Took to the course, and theres just no way. Even though im a scratch level golfer, my strike dispersion is not great, and this putter let me know that real quick. 

That lead me down the high MOI road, was considering the spider x and s models, and then started reading this thread. Im leaning towards a df now. Id sure like to try one but nearest location is 3 hours away. Good read, and seems like @labgolf has a tremendous product and customer service!

• Like 1

@Red4282so have you submitted your remote fitting video to L.A.B. Golf yet?  That's your first step. It is very accurate, and the price can't be beat (since it's FREE).

Strike dispersion is NOT a problem with a DF 2.1 - so good that I am able to look at the hole (or aim point if lots of break) during my putting stroke, since that gives me GREAT distance control with mine.

• Like 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Alta CB 55 R

Titleist -TS2 4W & 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

5 hours ago, 5baytjd said:

@Red4282so have you submitted your remote fitting video to L.A.B. Golf yet?  That's your first step. It is very accurate, and the price can't be beat (since it's FREE).

Strike dispersion is NOT a problem with a DF 2.1 - so good that I am able to look at the hole (or aim point if lots of break) during my putting stroke, since that gives me GREAT distance control with mine.

I have not yet. I also did not plan on spending 500 either. If i get one, it will have to be a used one or blem with something close to my specs. 

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

I have not yet. I also did not plan on spending 500 either. If i get one, it will have to be a used one or blem with something close to my specs. 

No way I was forking out that much dough on a putter I’ve never seen, touched or rolled first hand either!  Luckily they have a plethora of factory seconds on their eBay store.

Watch the virtual fitting tutorial on YouTube (meet Sam).  Have your son help you do a video and submit (less than 5 mins on an iPhone).  Hit the ‘Bay with specs in hand.  More than likely they’ll have something for you, or will soon.

If you’re in the market for a putter that’s truly “effortless” to swing give this one a go.  Worst case scenario you recoup most, if not all on resale and get to test drive it for as long as you like for almost nothing.  Worth a try if you’re searching for magic.

• Like 4

Driver G410 LST 10.5* Ventus Velocore Blue 6x
Fairway G410 3-wood Ventus Velocore Blue 7x

Irons Ping i20’s +1” KBSx shafts

Wedges Glides 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter L.A.B. 2.1

On 10/31/2020 at 1:52 PM, 5baytjd said:

You'd get over the look REAL quick, and with so many putts rattling the bottom of the cup you won't give a rip what it looks like.  The 2.1 is so forgiving of toe or heel strikes, that I am able to look at the flag stick when I take my stroke (or other target if lots of break on the putt), which REALLY helps me with my distance control.

Just like the B.2 is not as forgiving (I tried it too, and decided to go with the 2.1 as my gamer); if they design anything smaller it will be LESS forgiving (the laws of physics being what they are).

I actually have a Reno. The Reno is not in my bag. For me, it simply takes up to much room in my bag.

I understand that a smaller version may not have the forgiveness of the larger version. That stated, I would believe bringing the tech into a smaller version very well may have benefits over a similar sized mallet.  If there was a version that had the DF tech in similar size to a ping ketsch or odyssey two ball, I would definitely be interested in that putter.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
Callaway Apex CF19  5-A w/KBS $-Taper 120
Cleveland RTX 54*
Cleveland RTX 58*
Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

4 hours ago, Cwing said:

I actually have a Reno. The Reno is not in my bag. For me, it simply takes up to much room in my bag.

I understand that a smaller version may not have the forgiveness of the larger version. That stated, I would believe bringing the tech into a smaller version very well may have benefits over a similar sized mallet.  If there was a version that had the DF tech in similar size to a ping ketsch or odyssey two ball, I would definitely be interested in that putter.

Agreed, that if they were able to get the tech into a blade, then they likely can get it into a smaller mallet as well (with somewhat diminished forgiveness). 

My DF2.1 fits perfectly in my Datrek DG lite II cart bag, which has a separate putter well that keeps it away from any interference with the rest of the clubs.  I'm a walker normally, and love that the Datrek also comes with Top-Lock that slides right into my BagBoy Quad (no straps to mess with) - takes me under a minute to get the cart and bag out of the trunk, connected, and rolling away.

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

Snell - MTB  Black

So I submitted my fitting video, and came back with 67* and 35 inches. Closest thing on ebay at the time was 68*. I emailed back and told them that i had no intentions of spending $500, but if they had some blems or second hands close to my specs let me know. I quickly got a response saying he had two onhand at 67* and both were uncut and he told me i could have my grip of choice. Excellent customer service. Im gonna sit on it this weekend but i see one in my future.

Shiels had a review of it today and he liked it but it was a short video. Peter finch’s video put the nail in the coffin i think. Was really convincing. Im all about scrapping for any advantage and leg up i can get, and could care less about a beauty contest. The roll (on video) really gives me that old school futura vibe. If the science is real and tangible, which appears it is, ill proudly game it. Ill update everyone when I receive mine...🤞

• Like 1
On 11/9/2020 at 2:20 PM, labgolf said:

From all ranges or just 15' and in? What is likely happening is that the ball is just rolling a bit earlier and truer than you might be used to. In general, try to control speed with length of stroke rather than the amount of acceleration. Lightening up the grip pressure a bit too will help.

Distance control issues from all distances.

On a different note, going to try an interesting experiment. My 33" DF 2.1 is too long for me, so I am going to throw a Superstroke wristlock grip on and use the wrist lock putting style (variation of armlock). I think it will work, because this grip requires forward press, which the DF 2.1 requires as well. And I don't think it requires as much forward press though as an armlock, so won't run into loft issues.

• Like 1

I'm in a weird spot with my B.2 right now, been carpet putting a lot lately since my season was over and I was home sick most of last week. Anyways when I putt in my basement I use a line on my ball and it's just an easy indicator of how my ball is rolling along with my stroke and it's something to focus on.

With my current grip (claw) which I've been using the past year with much success I haven't had great or consistent roll with my B.2, maybe gripping too tight but if I lighten the grip I can't get comfortable enough to pull the trigger on a putt. Now if I go to a traditional grip I can get a great roll but my aim is off. So do I give up good aim for a not so great roll or great roll with not so great aim that I have to account for?

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

On 11/10/2020 at 6:52 PM, Red4282 said:

Just spend a good part of my day reading this thread, and Im just about ready to pull the trigger. Putter looks is a funny thing, we all worry about that dumb social pressure of what people think, but when i think back, 2 of my best performing putters Ive ever owed were black swans, and got made fun of. The original Scotty Cameron Futura, and the Rife two bar hybrid mallet.

Im not sure why the Rife was so good for me, maybe just a perfect marriage for my stroke, but interestingly, the DF, to me is strikingly familiar to the OG futura. Shaft entering the center of the head, appearance of “onset” with some backweighting. I know the OG futura isnt lie balanced though. 

For the past 2 years Ive been searching for that magic, or at least something that was as good as the ol two bar. I stayed with rife for a bit, with the cayman brac, but that was very short lived. Then tried counterbalanced, with a betti SS#3 cb. I had some good success with it and it stayed in for almost a year. But it just wasnt that perfect match i was looking for. I play at between a 1 and +1, and i consider myself a very good putter inside 5 ft, and a good lag putter, and that is regardless of what putter im using. Where i know i could do better is that 5-12ft range that would take my game to the next level, ideally holing 1-3 more putts a round.

I just got my son who is 14 and getting into golf his starter set, and got him a white hot xg number #9 from a secondhand shop. This putter in no way should be good for me, extreme toe flow. I started putting with it around the house and was loving the stroke i was putting on it, and it got the wheels spinning. Took to the course, and theres just no way. Even though im a scratch level golfer, my strike dispersion is not great, and this putter let me know that real quick. 

That lead me down the high MOI road, was considering the spider x and s models, and then started reading this thread. Im leaning towards a df now. Id sure like to try one but nearest location is 3 hours away. Good read, and seems like @labgolf has a tremendous product and customer service!

Take the plunge! you won't regret it...

• Like 1
14 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Me and my crazy ideas. Put on the Superstroke wrist lock grip and am loving it so far (indoor putting at home). Basically the benefits of arm lock but without having to make modifications to the putter (except the putter was already too long to begin with for me though, i was gripping down on the original grip).

59B8EE6B-FAAE-4675-BFA2-778F7D832C70.JPG.1e058d7e69357c60b5c9e3160ce0df4a.JPG

Keep me posted on this!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I'm in a weird spot with my B.2 right now, been carpet putting a lot lately since my season was over and I was home sick most of last week. Anyways when I putt in my basement I use a line on my ball and it's just an easy indicator of how my ball is rolling along with my stroke and it's something to focus on.

With my current grip (claw) which I've been using the past year with much success I haven't had great or consistent roll with my B.2, maybe gripping too tight but if I lighten the grip I can't get comfortable enough to pull the trigger on a putt. Now if I go to a traditional grip I can get a great roll but my aim is off. So do I give up good aim for a not so great roll or great roll with not so great aim that I have to account for?

Aim is more important than roll with our tech. Keep fiddling with your grip till you find the best of both worlds

1 hour ago, labgolf said:

Keep me posted on this!

It honestly feels like cheating to me so far. Although, I can tell it wouldn't be a direct replacement for any of the LAB press grips if you aren't already choking down at least two inches on the existing grip.

With this Superstroke Wrist Lock grip, i am actually locking it in a bit higher than my wrist. If it was two inches longer, it would be almost a full on arm lock. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, labgolf said:

Aim is more important than roll with our tech. Keep fiddling with your grip till you find the best of both worlds

I'll keep trying to get a comfortable grip, just want to get this putter to work for me.

• Like 2

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

I got rid of my 1.0 Reno putter.... now I miss hitting putts online LOL I don't miss coming up short on everything though 

So I am going save up for a 2.1 LOL I already emailed matt to see if there are any seconds in my specs

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max 9* Aldila Rip-X 65TX
Callaway XR Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
Taylormade M3 17* Rescue Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
Cobra Fly Z + Forged 4-PW Ping AMT 2.0 X Flex (LOL)
Wilson PMP 52,56,60
Directed Force 2.1
#vietnameeh

I used the DF 2.1 for about 6 months. The results were great - especially on putts of 20 feet and in it was really the best putter i've ever used. I did have some issues on long putts where I consistently struggled with distance control. I think this was based on the lack of feel/response of the putter - ultimately feel is the reason i stopped using it.

If LAB can figure out how to make the head feel - AND SOUND - better, I'll be buying again. I didn't mind the look - don't get me wrong, not a pretty putter, but happy to put up with it if the results are there.

But the ugly look plus the lack of feel&sound was too much for me at the end. I ended up using an Axis1 Rose for the next 6 months and found it to have most of the beneficial attributes of LAB but with better looks. Certainly not as stable as the DF 2.1 thou...

I think my ideal putter would be a DF 2.1, milled and with the SIK face tech.

Edited by m_w
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, vietnameeh said:

I got rid of my 1.0 Reno putter.... now I miss hitting putts online LOL I don't miss coming up short on everything though 

So I am going save up for a 2.1 LOL I already emailed matt to see if there are any seconds in my specs

When you get your 2.1, you could try what works really well for me as far as distance control -- because the 2.1 is SO FORGIVING of heel or toe strikes, I look at my target (flag stick or other aiming point) while taking my stroke.

Snell - MTB  Black

Mines officially ordered today. Matt was great to work with, and even cut me a better deal as the second he offered me had an issue, so he found one in better shape. Cant wait til it gets here and ill give updates. 

I have a little theory on the lag putting, for those who are struggling. It goes against what LAB says, though.There is some theory out there, i think ive seen george gankas teach it and i know there are others. Ive always used this theory hence why ive always been pretty good at lag putting regardless of putter. Basically, LAB instructs to take the hands or any manipulation from the hands and wrists out of the stroke, which i believe should be absolutely true with putts inside 20ft (arbitrary number, should depend on green speed), and even MORE so with a neutral balance putter such as the 2.1. However i think the opposite is true on putts over 20 ft.  On your backstroke after about 12 inches or so the putter, regardless of balance will be working against gravity as the arc begins to climb. This requires you to use more muscles. Just think of a 10 ft chip with a 56 degree wedge and a 30 yard pitch. They arent the same. The short shot can be deadhanded, but the longer the swing/stroke needed, the more muscle and force needed to make this swing. The hands and wrists can be a detriment on shorter stuff as the more active they are the less face control you will have. But on the long stuff its the very thing that gives you touch and feel. Sure you may push or pull a few, but the goal is to two putt.

Speed is #1. Several studies have shown that even the BEST players in the world, have 3 times the dispersion front to back, than from side to side- therfore face control is just easier to control than speed. Get the speed right, on the lag putts, bottom line, even if that means use the wrists/hands. Just my two cents!

Edited by Red4282
  • Like 3
21 hours ago, m_w said:

I used the DF 2.1 for about 6 months. The results were great - especially on putts of 20 feet and in it was really the best putter i've ever used. I did have some issues on long putts where I consistently struggled with distance control. I think this was based on the lack of feel/response of the putter - ultimately feel is the reason i stopped using it.

If LAB can figure out how to make the head feel - AND SOUND - better, I'll be buying again. I didn't mind the look - don't get me wrong, not a pretty putter, but happy to put up with it if the results are there.

But the ugly look plus the lack of feel&sound was too much for me at the end. I ended up using an Axis1 Rose for the next 6 months and found it to have most of the beneficial attributes of LAB but with better looks. Certainly not as stable as the DF 2.1 thou...

I think my ideal putter would be a DF 2.1, milled and with the SIK face tech.

What generation L.A.B. did you have?

16 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Mines officially ordered today. Matt was great to work with, and even cut me a better deal as the second he offered me had an issue, so he found one in better shape. Cant wait til it gets here and ill give updates. 

I have a little theory on the lag putting, for those who are struggling. It goes against what LAB says, though.There is some theory out there, i think ive seen george gankas teach it and i know there are others. Ive always used this theory hence why ive always been pretty good at lag putting regardless of putter. Basically, LAB instructs to take the hands or any manipulation from the hands and wrists out of the stroke, which i believe should be absolutely true with putts inside 20ft (arbitrary number, should depend on green speed), and even MORE so with a neutral balance putter such as the 2.1. However i think the opposite is true on putts over 20 ft.  On your backstroke after about 12 inches or so the putter, regardless of balance will be working against gravity as the arc begins to climb. This requires you to use more muscles. Just think of a 10 ft chip with a 56 degree wedge and a 30 yard pitch. They arent the same. The short shot can be deadhanded, but the longer the swing/stroke needed, the more muscle and force needed to make this swing. The hands and wrists can be a detriment on shorter stuff as the more active they are the less face control you will have. But on the long stuff its the very thing that gives you touch and feel. Sure you may push or pull a few, but the goal is to two putt.

Speed is #1. Several studies have shown that even the BEST players in the world, have 3 times the dispersion front to back, than from side to side- therfore face control is just easier to control than speed. Get the speed right, on the lag putts, bottom line, even if that means use the wrists/hands. Just my two cents!

^^^ Me too!  I read many of the posts here and based on the responses I went ahead and pulled the trigger yesterday!  Hopefully, it gets here sooner than later.  I am expecting good results.  Based on the fitting, I ordered mine at 73* lie and 34" in length.

• Like 1

DRIVER - TITLEIST TSi3 9* 

FAIRWAY WOODS - TITLEIST TSi3 13.5* &  TSi2 16.5*

HYBRIDS - PXG 0317 X GEN2 19*

IRONS - TITLEIST T300 [5i-6i] / T200 [7i-GW] Combo

WEDGES - TITLEIST VOKEY SM8  54.10S and 58.08M/58.12D

PUTTER - L.A.B. GOLF - DIRECTED FORCE 2.1

BALL - TITLEIST Pro V1x / Maxfli Tour X

PXG 0317 X

On 11/13/2020 at 11:16 PM, dlow206 said:

Me and my crazy ideas. Put on the Superstroke wrist lock grip and am loving it so far (indoor putting at home). Basically the benefits of arm lock but without having to make modifications to the putter (except the putter was already too long to begin with for me though, i was gripping down on the original grip).

59B8EE6B-FAAE-4675-BFA2-778F7D832C70.JPG.1e058d7e69357c60b5c9e3160ce0df4a.JPG

Looks like someone else had the same idea:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAB-Golf-Directed-Force-Putter-32-Inches-Super-Stroke-Grip-With-Extra-Weights-/114528355659?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Like 1

Shout out to Andrew at covered bridge! Finally got to roll one of these... was impressed by them but unfortunately they had just aerated their greens. 

I was way upright with it (77 degrees) and couldn’t get comfortable with the demo putters, but the adjustable putter felt good! The oval grip was less of a fit!

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7