2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

12 hours ago, Minarets said:

@labgolfMy current gamer Ping Vault 2.0 Ketch has a GP tour SNSR Contour Pro grip on it.  I live that grip.  What grip size would you recommend with the DF 2.1?   I do NOT like the ok’d school pencil grip size.  I have used Super Stroke 5.0 (long time ago and it’s too big now for me) and 3.0 and liked it. But was using the Ping PP62 that I preferred for a midsize grip before the Tour SNSR.  

all that said, would prefer something in the Tour SNSR/PP62 size 

I am kind of confused on your grips as they all look rather wide looking down but are flatter on the sides??

The most popular grip is our press II, 3° which is right in there size wise what you are looking for. Maybe a touch bigger.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Minarets said:

Tell me more about the need (or not) for a Stability Shaft in the 2.1.  I’m leaning that way, because I think I understand the premise of more consistency than a stock shaft that torques and bends but isn’t the 2.1 already kind of accomplishing this in its design and weight? Or the stability shaft kind of a “more is better” kind of thing with stability?  @labgolf

The BGT does what it says it does. Is the difference monumental? No. I use it. I am not sure I would if I had to pay full price but if money is not a hang up, I say go for it. Might as well take every advantage. The torque they reduce is different than the torque we eliminate so it s not redundant.

• Like 2

Thanks. Also no more LAGP shafts available? Only stability tour?  I saw where Peter Finch put that one in his B2 from you guys for the same price.  

Edited by Minarets

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

7 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Thanks. Also no more LAGP shafts available? Only stability tour?  I saw where Peter Finch put that one in his B2 from you guys for the same price.  

At the moment, we are not carrying them. I think they are gonna need at least 6 months to get to where they can provide timely delivery of stuff. They were having a hard time maintaining inventory and it was too big a hassle. I am sure we will carry them again down the road.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the follow up and answers 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, labgolf said:

The BGT does what it says it does. Is the difference monumental? No. I use it. I am not sure I would if I had to pay full price but if money is not a hang up, I say go for it. Might as well take every advantage. The torque they reduce is different than the torque we eliminate so it s not redundant.

Thanks for explaining. If the stock is just as good the wallet bullet isn’t so harsh. Maybe something for the future. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I got to play some really pure greens last week, man the 2.1 shined a lot of confidence now.

not to really test on my normal muni greens LOL

• Like 2

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Got my fitting today from Matt @labgolf.   Can’t wait to pull trigger. 

• Like 3

Just bought the broomstick version and can’t wait to start using it. Have a question. Does anyone game the broomstick and have any tips for me? I also prefer to look at the hole when putting. This style of putter seems to be built for it since mishits aren’t punished as severely as other putters. Curious if anyone here looks at the hole while using these putters and what kind of results do you get. Thanks in advance. I also emailed Matt and he was very helpful.

Edited by JA17

17 hours ago, JA17 said:

Just bought the broomstick version and can’t wait to start using it. Have a question. Does anyone game the broomstick and have any tips for me? I also prefer to look at the hole when putting. This style of putter seems to be built for it since mishits aren’t punished as severely as other putters. Curious if anyone here looks at the hole while using these putters and what kind of results do you get. Thanks in advance. I also emailed Matt and he was very helpful.

I Don't look at the hole but I do use the broomstick about 80% of the time these days. Fire away with any questions!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JA17 said:

I look at the hole when using my DF 2.1 as it gives me great distance control that way.  The extreme forgiveness of toe or heel strikes enables this.  I'm not a broomsticker however -- 33" 68.5*

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

Using this winter to transition into my 2.1  I finished the season with my jailbird mini on “end of season” shaggy muni greens. It wouldn’t have been a fair test to game the new Starship under such conditions.

Meanwhile, I’ve been dialing in the stroke with the help of my new Blast Motion sensor and am nearing tour quality statistics already with respect to tempo, stroke time, face angle at impact etc.  The feedback is very encouraging.  

• Like 2

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

5 hours ago, Cliffy2020 said:

Using this winter to transition into my 2.1  I finished the season with my jailbird mini on “end of season” shaggy muni greens. It wouldn’t have been a fair test to game the new Starship under such conditions.

Meanwhile, I’ve been dialing in the stroke with the help of my new Blast Motion sensor and am nearing tour quality statistics already with respect to tempo, stroke time, face angle at impact etc.  The feedback is very encouraging.  

Good to hear.  Keep that grip pressure low, to let it do its magic.  And if you can get to tour level green reading, you'll be an absolute terror🤩

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

Snell - MTB  Black

Got my order placed today.  Now the wait begins (the worst part).  Jennifer there was awesome to deal with.  Matt too with the fitting.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, bward said:

How long is the estimated wait when ordering?

3 to 4 weeks

Is this a putter you can immediately take to the course and figure out after a putt or 2 or one that needs time and practice before taking to the course?  To get used to the feel? 

6 hours ago, Minarets said:

Is this a putter you can immediately take to the course and figure out after a putt or 2 or one that needs time and practice before taking to the course?  To get used to the feel? 

I found success right away, but I guess everyone is different.  I had watched ALL of the video clips of Bill Presse giving hints and tips on how to best make the DF perform.  NET: put the bottom end of the shaft in the middle of your stance (thus the ball will be forward), and use VERY light grip pressure - let it do its magic of staying square to the line and don't try to manipulate it.  In fact, practice with your thumbs OFF of the grip.

Personally, I get excellent distance control by looking at the flagstick in the hole (or other target if lots of break) since the DF is so forgiving of toe or heel strikes (don't have to worry/concentrate on hitting the exact middle of the face [although there is nothing wrong with that either] in order for it to perform).

As I like to say, "nothing better on the planet for getting the ball to rattle in the bottom of the cup, in the fewest strokes possible".  Welcome to team L.A.B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snell - MTB  Black

I'm a 22, 66 years old. I'm trying to step up my game. This past year, I've cleaned up some of the strokes I've been giving up off the tee & with a wedge in my hand. Greatest challenge now is my putting game. I've played with a face-balanced putter for the last 8-10 years. Very comfortable with the putter style. In the past, I felt like I had to do something to help it. Putts are generally on line, but come up a few inches short.

1st a shout out to Matt and the folks at L.A.B. The fitting system worked great.

I just got the B2. It's too early to say, as I'm just putting on the carpet. I've never had a putter feel so smooth. The biggest adjustment is to not help or direct the putter, just line it up & let the putter swing itself, the putt finishes & goes 6" past the hole, rather than 6" short.

I'll let you know more in the spring once I take it on the course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jaconbits said:

@labgolf My order is on week 5 and still "processing." Is this expected? Stock KBS shaft, B.2 head.

You could do it the old fashioned way and give them a call on Monday morning (Pacific Time Zone), I have always found them to be super helpful.  Their number in Reno, Nevada -  (775) 622-4552

Snell - MTB  Black

8 hours ago, 5baytjd said:

You could do it the old fashioned way and give them a call on Monday morning (Pacific Time Zone), I have always found them to be super helpful.  Their number in Reno, Nevada -  (775) 622-4552

Yeah, ask for Jennifer. She is super helpful. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 4:11 PM, JA17 said:

Thanks! Where do you place the ball when you use your broomstick? Also do you rock like McCarron or use more right hand like Langer?

I have the ball forward for sure, especially with the mallet because of the onset head. I am much more like Langer, mostly right hand. I get a little body into it from longer range.

On 12/5/2020 at 8:43 AM, Minarets said:

Its different for everyone. I find those with shorter more accelerated strokes tend to need a minute to dial it in. When you get it, the forst thing you should do is scrutinize your alignment. The putter will work hard to go where you are pointed to aim is huge. After that, just tell us what you are struggling with if anything and we can get you dialed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2020 at 9:19 PM, jaconbits said:

@labgolf My order is on week 5 and still "processing." Is this expected? Stock KBS shaft, B.2 head.

I'm really sorry. We had a rough November with some COVID issues at the factory followed by some supply chain issue and them more COVID. I am hopeful that everything over 4 weeks old will ship this week. Thanks so much for your patience.