MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

1 hour ago, labgolf said:

We actually don't paint fill at all. We use a fiber laser to get the lines on. On the anodizing, it turns white as soon as the heat hits it. With the Nickel, it's white as well but their wasn't enough contrast so now we burn all the way into the metal and char it to get the grey.

Thanks for the explanation.

• Like 1

I’m a decent putter.  5 Hcp and putting is a strength. If I could hit a green, I’d be a 2.  Putting with a Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch in all black (shaft and all) and I still can’t wait to try this. I’m totally sold on the “science” behind it and I think it will still help with confidence. Was excited about my new driver but can’t wait for this. This is what I’m excited about more. 

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

7 hours ago, daralike said:

I'm transitioning right now from toe hang Toulon Atlanta and seeing positive results. Granted, this isn't on course due to off-season.

Be sure to read the tips in the thread: ball forward, thumbs off grip, golf ball on putter path drill...etc

5 hours ago, labgolf said:

The putter is designed to stay square to whatever arc you put the putter on. If you open or close the face in access of the arc, the putter will fight you a bit but it will also very naturally lead you to square the face to your arc, regardless of the depth of that arc. I was an 8802 guy. Took a minute but not that tough. You just need to remember that you no longer need to KEEP the face square, just LET it stay square.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I luckily have a guy local to me who does fittings on these so I will book a session with him 

Edited by craz-e
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

13 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

Nice!

So that makes AT LEAST 2 Directed Force putters in Los Angeles area... here's mine with the original Stability shaft. Bought mid year 2017 and still in play now. The only color back then is black, Black, bLACK or BLACK 😊

1631256210_12-11-201810-24-17PM_B.jpg.af4f8ab058ba8762ad596e163ce29305.jpg

So L.A.B Golf started like Henry Ford - "You can have it any color you want, as long as it's black".

• Like 2

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

8 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

Thanks for all great comments on this string.  Very helpful. 5 handicap, good ball striker and below average putter. Currently using Ping Scottsdale Y Worry putter found on used rack in my latest Golf Headquarters trip cut to 37", installed wrist lock Super Stroke putter grip, added extra pad taped across the little bump out to create a bit more of an angle, using in an arm lock fashion with a split grip.  Putting confidence is not at all time high 🙂  Hoping the lie angle balance of 2.1 (non arm lock) will help.   Did the virtual fitting which came back 70 and 35".  But have found a place about 40 minutes away to get fitted in person so going to do that as well just to compare.  

Struggling with alignment aid choice.  Prefer a single long line on top #28 but read somewhere that because the line would be on 3 different depths due to way putter is made the line might not look straight when you set up unless eyes are directly over the ball?  Maybe a good thing to help get eyes in right position?  Was hoping somebody could share what they have seen.

I did the remote fitting and it worked out PERFECTLY.

Sam (CEO) has mentioned that they have actually had more folks end up dissatisfied with in-person fittings, than those done remotely, BECAUSE people start chasing a set-up.   You probably fall into the category of "Trust but verify".  If you are getting fitted with one of the fitting putters, remember that those are NOT lie angle balanced, just for getting length and lie angle figured out.  If where you are going has multiple demo putters, those will give you better feedback on the actual feel and performance.

I chose sight line #27 which gives me a long enough line to determine if I'm  lined up correctly.  And I have never had a problem with the difference in depth of the surface of the lines (although I am pretty close to having my eyes directly over the line).

So there you have my 2 cents worth.  Best of luck with it, I think you will love it.

Edited by 5baytjd
  • Like 4

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

Snell - MTB  Black

I finally got to roll these at my local PGA SS.  The balance was excellent.  Felt like it stroked itself (especially the mallet).
However, my distance control wasn't that great and I hated the "feel" of the ball coming off the face (which I'm sure is why my distance control was poor).
It might be something that I could get used to over time, but I've used a solid, milled putter for so long that everything else just feels "bad" .  These feel, to me, like a "cheap" putter, but obviously it's not.  I also didn't care for the grip all that much.

This is for all the new owners here who are struggling with distance control. It could be your setup. Bill nicely explains it here as to what the optimal ball position is with this unique putter. This will take any "guess" work out of figuring out how to setup to the ball with the forward shaft and the vertical oriented Presse grips.

For us oldies, its a good refresher... 👌

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 2

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

10 hours ago, labgolf said:

All of the options are more durable than almost anything else on the market. The anodized finishes get surface scratches that wipe away with water only.

That's assuring. Between Press II and OG, which is the smaller grip? Not a fan of big grip, tried superstroke 3.0 and found it big for me. 

18 hours ago, golfmanian said:

That's assuring. Between Press II and OG, which is the smaller grip? Not a fan of big grip, tried superstroke 3.0 and found it big for me. 

The SHAPE of the two grips are vastly different.  OG is oval, so wider side to side, but I think a little smaller front-to-back than the Press II (IIRC).  The Press II has a FLAT front (my favorite, as it helps me feel I'm square to the line), and more narrow side-to-side than the OG, but I think a bit deeper front-to-back. 

Has been quite a while since I've used any of the superstroke grips, so unfortunately, I can't give you a good size comparison to those. 

I will say that I have relatively short fingers (M/L Cadet glove), and the Press II works fine for me (but as with many things, Your Mileage May Vary).

Edited by 5baytjd
  • Like 3

Snell - MTB  Black

Curious, any 2.1 users have the 1.5* vs 3* grip ?  I’m sure @labgolfcan chime in as well.

A few reasons i’m asking.

1). I‘d prefer a smaller grip (I only wear a M glove), but the website lists only a 0.1” size diff. Is it more noticeable in hand? (That’s what she said 🤣)

2).  When measuring my bests strokes (with Blast motion), I’m finding that I’m adding a degree or two of press at address on top of the 3* already provided.

3). Because of the weight/size of the 3* grip, I don’t feel the head of the putter as much as I want too.  The lighter 1.5* grip may help this.  I added some lead tape to the sole of the putter and quite liked the feel, but don’t want to screw up the balancing.

Thanks for any insight.

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

10 hours ago, golfmanian said:

The OG is definitely smaller. I purchased a second had version of the mallet to give me a significant chance to demo before I ordered mine (and to then keep as my “at home practice putter”). It had the OG on it. I ordered the Press II on my gamer and was not happy with it. It was just too big. I changed it to the OG and could not be happier. 

I think if you like the larger Super Stroke options you will love the Press II. I think the line and graphics are very helpful. But if you do not like the larger SS grips (for example, I always used the smallest of the SS pistol grips) the OG is the way to go.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, T-MAC said:

I finally got to roll these at my local PGA SS.  The balance was excellent.  Felt like it stroked itself (especially the mallet).
However, my distance control wasn't that great and I hated the "feel" of the ball coming off the face (which I'm sure is why my distance control was poor).
It might be something that I could get used to over time, but I've used a solid, milled putter for so long that everything else just feels "bad" .  These feel, to me, like a "cheap" putter, but obviously it's not.  I also didn't care for the grip all that much.

I was in this camp once.  I think the challenge is putting up with the feel until you start seeing great results.  For most golfers this isn't an option.  I love a nice milled putter as much as the next person, but I also love scoring under 80 because I'm giving my putts a chance to go in. 

Which grip did you try?

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 9:26 PM, Elee913 said:

That white putter cover looks great. I’d gladly swap my black cover for the white. 

Hoping mine comes with white.  I think I prefer it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheMagicStinger said:

I was in this camp once.  I think the challenge is putting up with the feel until you start seeing great results.  For most golfers this isn't an option.  I love a nice milled putter as much as the next person, but I also love scoring under 80 because I'm giving my putts a chance to go in. 

Which grip did you try?

I tried all 3 grips at club champion.  I ordered the press II 3°. I currently use a Golf Pride tour sensr contour and the press II felt best to me.  The OG (while I preferred its looks) didnt feel right in my hands.  Wanted to turn it the other way in my hands (if that makes sense?). Anyway the press I felt too small.  

my biggest issue is going to be to NOT forward press once I get this 2.1 in hand.   While putting with it in club champion I was constantly still trying to forward press out of habit.  I think once I get a few practice sessions that can be fixed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Minarets said:

my biggest issue is going to be to NOT forward press once I get this 2.1 in hand.   While putting with it in club champion I was constantly still trying to forward press out of habit.  I think once I get a few practice sessions that can be fixed. 

before i roll a putt i just think about being as neutral and "dead" as possible to keep myself from pressing even more.  It feels unnatural but I'm working on it. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schulzmc said:

The OG is definitely smaller. I purchased a second had version of the mallet to give me a significant chance to demo before I ordered mine (and to then keep as my “at home practice putter”). It had the OG on it. I ordered the Press II on my gamer and was not happy with it. It was just too big. I changed it to the OG and could not be happier. 

I think if you like the larger Super Stroke options you will love the Press II. I think the line and graphics are very helpful. But if you do not like the larger SS grips (for example, I always used the smallest of the SS pistol grips) the OG is the way to go.

That's what I guess too but the Labgolf website shows press II has a smaller diameter of 1.5"(top) 1.3"(bottom) vs OG 1.7"(top) and 1.6"(bottom). Maybe @labgolfcan clarify.

Edited by golfmanian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, golfmanian said:

That's what I guess too but the Labgolf website shows press II has a smaller diameter of 1.5"(top) 1.3"(bottom) vs OG 1.7"(top) and 1.6"(bottom). Maybe @labgolfcan clarify.

As you can see they are very different in size. OG on the left and Press II on the right.

LAB grips.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/28/2020 at 6:56 AM, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Does anybody have the DF 2.1 in blue? Red and black seem to be popular but the blue seems to receive less love.

Going to send in the remote fitting video in January when I get back home from my parents. Still undecided on color (black or blue) and alignment aid (leaning towards #16).

I do like the blue but am afraid of getting tired of it after some time, black is a no-brainer-safety-option lol. I do not like a lot of lines on my putter so #16 seems about right

I have blue and love it 

I had the blue OG and now blue 2.1 so I am a little bias

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

On 12/26/2020 at 3:52 PM, PingPoncho said:

I was told my Lab putters that they corrected the Ping sound and improved the sound some people experienced on their putters. If you just got your putter recently do you know if the sound is better? Is it more solid sound ? Do you think it was the shaft or head causing the sound issue? Any feedback on this sound issue would be appreciated.

I had the OG Reno putter and that was horrendous ! Mine pinged, clunked, Aluminum sounding.

I have the 2.1T now and way better! solid sounding, feels better! in turn I think that's also making it better at distance control vs the original one I had!

But this isn't saying this feels like a soft milled putter but when comparing to the original its MUCH better

I am glad i got into the newer version 2.1T because i truly believe in the technology, I just could not get over how terrible the distance control was for me with the original Reno, and I normally play on slower greens which felt like I had to take a huge swing on everything because the ball would come off dead off the face or sometimes it would come off really hot. I had a true love/hate with the OG, the 2.1 I am content and can just focus on putting the ball in the hole 🙂

Edited by vietnameeh
  • Like 2

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

3 hours ago, Cliffy2020 said:

Curious, any 2.1 users have the 1.5* vs 3* grip ?  I’m sure @labgolfcan chime in as well.

A few reasons i’m asking.

1). I‘d prefer a smaller grip (I only wear a M glove), but the website lists only a 0.1” size diff. Is it more noticeable in hand? (That’s what she said 🤣)

2).  When measuring my bests strokes (with Blast motion), I’m finding that I’m adding a degree or two of press at address on top of the 3* already provided.

3). Because of the weight/size of the 3* grip, I don’t feel the head of the putter as much as I want too.  The lighter 1.5* grip may help this.  I added some lead tape to the sole of the putter and quite liked the feel, but don’t want to screw up the balancing.

Thanks for any insight.

The 1.5 grip is designed for the Blade(s), and the 3* grip is designed for the DF 2.1; to get the hands over the ball.  So if you put the 1.5 on the 2.1 your hands will be a bit behind the ball.  You will have to determine if this works for you or not, and if you forward press to get your hands there (as you indicate in your point #2, then the face angle will be changed.  Again, you will have to determine whether this is a detriment to your results or not. 

They spend a good deal of time when manufacturing the putter to your specs to get it to be lie angle balanced, so any weight changes you make are mucking around with that.   Your Mileage May Vary.

Snell - MTB  Black

On 12/30/2020 at 1:17 PM, SerenityNow said:

Thanks for all great comments on this string.  Very helpful. 5 handicap, good ball striker and below average putter. Currently using Ping Scottsdale Y Worry putter found on used rack in my latest Golf Headquarters trip cut to 37", installed wrist lock Super Stroke putter grip, added extra pad taped across the little bump out to create a bit more of an angle, using in an arm lock fashion with a split grip.  Putting confidence is not at all time high 🙂  Hoping the lie angle balance of 2.1 (non arm lock) will help.   Did the virtual fitting which came back 70 and 35".  But have found a place about 40 minutes away to get fitted in person so going to do that as well just to compare.  

Struggling with alignment aid choice.  Prefer a single long line on top #28 but read somewhere that because the line would be on 3 different depths due to way putter is made the line might not look straight when you set up unless eyes are directly over the ball?  Maybe a good thing to help get eyes in right position?  Was hoping somebody could share what they have seen.

I have sightline #28 and love it.  I’m glad I decided to go with this one as well as it’s fool proof.  The easiest putter to ever putt with, plus a long line on top.

I could see why you’d be nervous about the depth of the lines causing it to not look straight, as it doesn’t. Once you stand over the ball and your eyes are in the correct position, the line is dead straight.  

Here’s a few pics for you.  The first pic I tried to have the camera flush with the shaft, then the next few pics are slightly higher up.  Pic 3 and 4 are what I see while standing over the ball.  

Hope this helps

6CB6150C-DAE4-473F-8513-2EF39C00C437.jpeg

69C7BFAF-0142-488A-BE77-FDC0EEFF4075.jpeg

F9B9D0C8-81A5-46ED-89F0-EE53E0C4665A.jpeg

9D0650F4-6B47-41AE-9DDF-3F3A574A6E63.jpeg

Edited by TylerJ89
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TylerJ89 said:

I have sightline #28 and love it.  I’m glad I decided to go with this one as well as it’s fool proof.  The easiest putter to ever putt with, plus a long line on top.

I could see why you’d be nervous about the depth of the lines causing it to not look straight, as it doesn’t. Once you stand over the ball and your eyes are in the correct position, the line is dead straight.  

Here’s a few pics for you.  The first pic I tried to have the camera flush with the shaft, then the next few pics are slightly higher up.  Pic 3 and 4 are what I see while standing over the ball.  

Hope this helps

6CB6150C-DAE4-473F-8513-2EF39C00C437.jpeg

69C7BFAF-0142-488A-BE77-FDC0EEFF4075.jpeg

F9B9D0C8-81A5-46ED-89F0-EE53E0C4665A.jpeg

9D0650F4-6B47-41AE-9DDF-3F3A574A6E63.jpeg

5 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Debating between black head and black shaft or Blue head and silver shaft?  Great pics on the site of both and both look very cool.  Have not seen the nickel.  Anybody have the nickel that can post some pics?

There Is one posted a page or so back. 

• Like 1