2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

On 12/30/2020 at 7:35 PM, golfmanian said:

That's assuring. Between Press II and OG, which is the smaller grip? Not a fan of big grip, tried superstroke 3.0 and found it big for me. 

The OG is the smallest but also quite unusual. I prefer it and it lends it self well to the tech as it gets the hands a bit more opposing and underneath. The PressII, 3° is the most "normal". Very similar to a Super Stroke 2.0.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 7:00 AM, Minarets said:

I tried all 3 grips at club champion.  I ordered the press II 3°. I currently use a Golf Pride tour sensr contour and the press II felt best to me.  The OG (while I preferred its looks) didnt feel right in my hands.  Wanted to turn it the other way in my hands (if that makes sense?). Anyway the press I felt too small.  

my biggest issue is going to be to NOT forward press once I get this 2.1 in hand.   While putting with it in club champion I was constantly still trying to forward press out of habit.  I think once I get a few practice sessions that can be fixed. 

If you keep the ball forward enough, you can still give it a little bump forward. let the roll of the ball tell the stroy. Keep your trigger and if you are driving the ball into the ground, try the Press II, 1.5°.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2020 at 6:33 AM, Cliffy2020 said:

Curious, any 2.1 users have the 1.5* vs 3* grip ?  I’m sure @labgolfcan chime in as well.

A few reasons i’m asking.

1). I‘d prefer a smaller grip (I only wear a M glove), but the website lists only a 0.1” size diff. Is it more noticeable in hand? (That’s what she said 🤣)

2).  When measuring my bests strokes (with Blast motion), I’m finding that I’m adding a degree or two of press at address on top of the 3* already provided.

3). Because of the weight/size of the 3* grip, I don’t feel the head of the putter as much as I want too.  The lighter 1.5* grip may help this.  I added some lead tape to the sole of the putter and quite liked the feel, but don’t want to screw up the balancing.

Thanks for any insight.

The 1.5° feels smaller for sure. The OG 3* is the smallest but also the heaviest. If you want to add lead tape without screwing up the balance, email [email protected] and he can take you through it.

Good memories!  I was in early with a Reno, later the first 2.0 and used them for a long time way back when.  Had good experience with fitting and Bill was great.  My experience with those models was the same as @Schnee -- could not get it to the hole, longer putts were an issue and the sound off the material and the grip were always issues, but I made putts.  On the return from Scotland in '18 (where it was definitely an item of curiosity - in fact one of my caddies was going to have his son in the U.S. get him one, and on reflection was having some issues, mostly mine I'm sure, with slower greens and really having to give it a whack and feeling like I was hitting up) I was fiddling in a golf store and found the putter I've used for the past 2 1/2 seasons.  If people are reporting good things with the tungsten and a different grip it wouldn't surprise me at all if it would be a reliable performer.  I just felt like I'd given it a fair shot, enjoyed the run, but found a more traditional putter and started making more putts and back to what I liked for distance control.  

Don't get me wrong, didn't come on here to knock them - just suggesting if you had one a few years back it sounds like they have evolved and improved, and that doesn't surprise me at all, given the commitment I felt with the fledgling operation to making a good product.  Should be great putters!

I like to change putters and am doing it again, lol, so again, nothing personal.  If I'd stayed with the Anser knockoff I bought at a Target in high school back in the mid-70s I'd probably have won 18 majors by now!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Good memories!  I was in early with a Reno, later the first 2.0 and used them for a long time way back when.  Had good experience with fitting and Bill was great.  My experience with those models was the same as @Schnee -- could not get it to the hole, longer putts were an issue and the sound off the material and the grip were always issues, but I made putts.  On the return from Scotland in '18 (where it was definitely an item of curiosity - in fact one of my caddies was going to have his son in the U.S. get him one, and on reflection was having some issues, mostly mine I'm sure, with slower greens and really having to give it a whack and feeling like I was hitting up) I was fiddling in a golf store and found the putter I've used for the past 2 1/2 seasons.  If people are reporting good things with the tungsten and a different grip it wouldn't surprise me at all if it would be a reliable performer.  I just felt like I'd given it a fair shot, enjoyed the run, but found a more traditional putter and started making more putts and back to what I liked for distance control.  

Don't get me wrong, didn't come on here to knock them - just suggesting if you had one a few years back it sounds like they have evolved and improved, and that doesn't surprise me at all, given the commitment I felt with the fledgling operation to making a good product.  Should be great putters!

I like to change putters and am doing it again, lol, so again, nothing personal.  If I'd stayed with the Anser knockoff I bought at a Target in high school back in the mid-70s I'd probably have won 18 majors by now!

The new manufacturing/build has definitely improved speed control. We have also learned about how people react to the absense of torque which also takes a minute. If you still have your DF in the garage, bring it out and try to swing it LONGER from long range rather than harder if that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback and hope to get you back on team LAB!!!

• Like 1

Just now, labgolf said:

The new manufacturing/build has definitely improved speed control. We have also learned about how people react to the absense of torque which also takes a minute. If you still have your DF in the garage, bring it out and try to swing it LONGER from long range rather than harder if that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback and hope to get you back on team LAB!!!

LOL, it's only a matter of time! And both my DFs are still in the garage!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 3

Just noticed new „options“  on the homepage. 2.1 T7 seems to be the latest head 

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 hour ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Just noticed new „options“  on the homepage. 2.1 T7 seems to be the latest head 

Yeah I need some info on this 2.1 T7.  It looks like it another $100.  I saw they lowered the price of the BGT tour shaft too.  Any info would be appreicated.

24 minutes ago, Pesce101010 said:

After investigating the site I realized that I have to pay an extra $74 to get the putter I wanted.  $695 was extremely hard to swallow and know its $769😭😭😭😭😭. Wow!!

This price change was born out of necessity. We are trying REALLY hard to keep production in the US AND offer all the options we do. At the higher cost of manufactured parts, it was getting impossible to keep up with production without losing money given that ALL putters were custom. We are hoping that the cheaper "stock" option will allow us to pre-make the majority of our putters and that those who want the custom stuff will be ok with paying a price equal or below what our competitors charge for "made to order" custom stuff. I know its spendy but if you read through all of these reviews you'll see there is a good chance it'll be the last putter you own for a very long time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, labgolf said:

This price change was born out of necessity. We are trying REALLY hard to keep production in the US AND offer all the options we do. At the higher cost of manufactured parts, it was getting impossible to keep up with production without losing money given that ALL putters were custom. We are hoping that the cheaper "stock" option will allow us to pre-make the majority of our putters and that those who want the custom stuff will be ok with paying a price equal or below what our competitors charge for "made to order" custom stuff. I know its spendy but if you read through all of these reviews you'll see there is a good chance it'll be the last putter you own for a very long time!

Thanks for the response.  I understand running a business is hard and tricky.  Whats with the T7 head though?

• Like 1

Trying to understand price change as I was about to buy.

The $399 model you choose length, angle, grip. 

The $549 model you choose length, angle, grip.  The only other "custom" options seem to be head color and alignment choice (which you still pay the $25 upcharge for). 

So cost of black DF2.1 with anything other than the alignment 1 just went from $450 ($425 + $25) to $574 ($549 + $25) a 30% price increase?  Is that correct?

1 hour ago, SerenityNow said:

Trying to understand price change as I was about to buy.

The $399 model you choose length, angle, grip. 

The $549 model you choose length, angle, grip.  The only other "custom" options seem to be head color and alignment choice (which you still pay the $25 upcharge for). 

So cost of black DF2.1 with anything other than the alignment 1 just went from $450 ($425 + $25) to $574 ($549 + $25) a 30% price increase?  Is that correct?

The Stock is available in one color/site line and grip, 3 lie choices and 2 length choices. Anything outside of those is going into our new T7 head or "custom". At the volume we are doing, it just wasn't sustainable to be making every single putter made to order with all the various options. This allows people to save a few bucks on a basic one as we can pre make many of them now but then to still make a reasonable margin on the custom ones that take so much more time, materials and personnel. We are doing what we can to keep production entirely in the US and to keep it so premium. The price adjustment was necessary unfortunately. I promise there is no gouging going on here. We are trying to do things a bit different than most companies and so far its expensive!!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, labgolf said:

The Stock is available in one color/site line and grip, 3 lie choices and 2 length choices. Anything outside of those is going into our new T7 head or "custom". At the volume we are doing, it just wasn't sustainable to be making every single putter made to order with all the various options. This allows people to save a few bucks on a basic one as we can pre make many of them now but then to still make a reasonable margin on the custom ones that take so much more time, materials and personnel. We are doing what we can to keep production entirely in the US and to keep it so premium. The price adjustment was necessary unfortunately. I promise there is no gouging going on here. We are trying to do things a bit different than most companies and so far its expensive!!

Is the T7 a new head shape or revision to the DF2.1?

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

16 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Is the T7 a new head shape or revision to the DF2.1?

Will be interesting to find out more about the T7 head.  Guessing it is a revision, based on what Sam said in his post about giving them the ability to swing weight more accurately and adjust from the standard F5 swing weight. . 

If they do a new head shape (or size), I would assume a new nomenclature would be instituted.

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

Or hear me out. You draw/tape the lines on a stock head and save yourself $175.

Think smarter not grumpier.

Somebody did exactly that - taped it off and used white-out to paint the lines and then went over it with matte finish clear coat; and by the pics they posted, it was almost impossible to tell it wasn't factory.

• Like 3

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

Snell - MTB  Black

55 minutes ago, labgolf said:

Same chassis, different weighting. More flexibilty for custom stuff.

Any change to feel in the new head or same as current gen? 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

40 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Any change to feel in the new head or same as current gen? 

With "feel" being somewhat subjective, I see it being dependent on a couple of things:

1) How far up or down the swing-weight scale they will be able to move T7

2) How sensitive someone is to swing-weight changes

Snell - MTB  Black

10 hours ago, 5baytjd said:

Somebody did exactly that - taped it off and used white-out to paint the lines and then went over it with matte finish clear coat; and by the pics they posted, it was almost impossible to tell it wasn't factory.

good idea for extending horizontal line.  But that would create this giant T with long vertical and long horizontal.  As i was contemplating alignment aid choices, I simulated this by taping a vertical line on my putter.  Due to cold weather could only roll some inside so maybe didn't give it a fair chance, but i had decided no vertical line at all (#28).   Since the long vertical is stock, most must like it?   Anybody really like or not like the long vertical line on top?

Thanks @labgolf for the explanation, I do understand why you change to the custom/stock options from a business perspective. 

Wish I hadn't hesitated that long, as I have to go custom now🤣

Hate #1 and most likely will go OG or Press.1.L (same shape as OG but lighter, correct?). With taxes (16%, reside in the EU) and customs duty (2,7%) that just increased the prize of the putter by ~100 bucks.

Not a knock on your strategy, I am sure you are truthful about everything, but we are talking 700€ +/- until its here. Not much if I like the putter and keep it for a decade. But still a lot of money

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I did the same trying to decide the alignment lines . Tried heaps of different ones on my spider putter. Found that to many eg: three line front to back , were off putting , then covered standard line it has in middle from front to back and put a white line at front . Funny thing , I found front line heaps better for squaring the head. IMO

My order for putter went through before the new website pricing. You could call it a win or lose as most my specs are standard , just went red head.

Maybe change it to black and save 36 USD. Interesting to see what happens.

• Thanks 1

I have two DF 2.1 putters. (One gamer in my bag and one at home for practice.) One has alignment #1 - the long line across the whole face with just a short line extending toward the back of the putter, and the other has #28, no line across the whole face and just one long line extending all the way back on the putter. I was worried (since they are so different) that it would bother me. In reality, after a put or two I don’t notice the difference. 

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Schulzmc said:

I have two DF 2.1 putters. (One gamer in my bag and one at home for practice.) One has alignment #1 - the long line across the whole face with just a short line extending toward the back of the putter, and the other has #28, no line across the whole face and just one long line extending all the way back on the putter. I was worried (since they are so different) that it would bother me. In reality, after a put or two I don’t notice the difference. 

Which do you prefer?  

I have the #28 and like it, but has me wondering if the line down the face (#1) would in fact help more visually with squaring the face?  

I think a #28 with a #1 (but only 2” in the middle of the face) would be pretty awesome.   Wonder if LAB could do that? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TylerJ89 said:

Which do you prefer?  

I have the #28 and like it, but has me wondering if the line down the face (#1) would in fact help more visually with squaring the face?  

I think a #28 with a #1 (but only 2” in the middle of the face) would be pretty awesome.   Wonder if LAB could do that? 

I thought the same exact thing. I had the #1 first and used it a bunch waiting for my gamer to be built and arrive. The more I used it the more I was worried I would miss that long line across the face to help me square it up. But honestly the face is so wide that I don't miss the line there at all on my gamer. The #28 line is perfect and would be my preference. But the difference between the two is minor. YMMV of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1