2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

19 minutes ago, dn0614 said:

Does anyone who uses a lab putter typically forward press with their putter?  I’m a forward presser with every putter. I’m thinking that a standard Superstroke may be a better option for that case. 

I am one of those folks and asked on here and lab golf responded that still forward pressing was fine unless it sounded or felt weird and then was doing to much. 

I have the press II 3° and still forward press as it’s my trigger. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

33 minutes ago, Minarets said:

I am one of those folks and asked on here and lab golf responded that still forward pressing was fine unless it sounded or felt weird and then was doing to much. 

I have the press II 3° and still forward press as it’s my trigger. 

Thank you. I’ll stick with the press ii and give it a chance 

Have rolled many putts now on the mat . From 8 foot in which is all I can do at moment , it is the bomb. Distance control is great and once ball started online , it stays there. I must say that you have to get your line right otherwise it will miss . This I know sounds dumb because of course you are going to miss , but because you tend to not manipulate the swing if you sense you are going to pull or push as opposed to say my old putter , it does miss more  but saying that once you have the line set , as people have said on this forum just rock away and in she goes.

I have to mention also , I picked up my other putter( yes another old one) which is a Stoke lab 7 which I thought was heavy originally compared to my spider. Well after putting with the LAB and then picking up the Odyssey,  the Odyssey is that light , you can hardly feel the head. So a massive plus for the LAB.

So long and short. I am really impressed so far.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wolfman44 said:

So long and short. I am really impressed so far.

Welcome to Team L.A.B. !

• Like 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

My putter arrived yesterday. I'm taking it to the course this morning, but spending time rolling balls on the carpet was interested. True to the putters name it really feels like you are directing the force of the swing directly into the ball. There is zero engergy loss from twisting or rotating. The only thing I could remotely compare it to is the feeling of a toe up Edel putter. However, even with the Edel you can feel it fight rotation, while the DF has nothing to fight because there is no rotation to begin with. I'm excited to get outside and so some serious testing. 

• Like 4

Looking good JA17! Great form and great roll!

I have a silly question: is it legal to putt like that? I might have to give it a try. It seems like I remember Bryson experimenting with that and somebody shut him down? I could be wrong.

Stopped in and messed around with some putters in the PGASS. Nothing else seems exciting now.

• Like 3

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

55 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I have a silly question: is it legal to putt like that? I might have to give it a try. It seems like I remember Bryson experimenting with that and somebody shut him down? I could be wrong.

Stopped in and messed around with some putters in the PGASS. Nothing else seems exciting now.

IIRC, both feet have to be on one side of the putting line, so you cant putt directly in front of your chest or between your legs. But side-saddle as in @JA17s post should be fine! 

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Yes, it is legal. As long as you keep both feet to one side and don’t create an anchor point (either with the grip hand or grip arm. I keep both off my body. Bryson ran into trouble not with the style, but with the club. He built his own and the USGA ruled the club itself non-conforming. LAB does a good job of making sure the shaft comes in at a 79.5* angle which conforms to the rules. I highly recommend the style and the putter. I look at the hole and only swing my right arm. I’ve played once with it in my men’s league and a few are already asking how much it costs questions! 🙂

Edited by JA17
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Schulzmc said:

As long as his left hand is not anchored to his chest, that is perfectly legal. 

EDIT: I should have added, Dechambeau's issue was not with his putting style, but his putter was deemed non-conforming. 

Exactly right. I play in a men’s league so I’m very careful not to touch my chest with the grip hand or anchor my left arm to my body. It’s hard to tell with the photo straight on (you can tell a little by the shadows under my arm that they aren’t anchored). Trust me my men’s league looks! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

IIRC, both feet have to be on one side of the putting line, so you cant putt directly in front of your chest or between your legs. But side-saddle as in @JA17s post should be fine! 

Exactly right. I’ve been putting side-saddle for a while now but hadn’t found a putter that I could look at the hole and put a good roll on it every time. The LAB’s lie angle balancing makes me feel dangerous with every putt. As Bill Murray said, So I got that going for me, which is nice! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JA17 said:

Exactly right. I’ve been putting side-saddle for a while now but hadn’t found a putter that I could look at the hole and put a good roll on it every time. The LAB’s lie angle balancing makes me feel dangerous with every putt. As Bill Murray said, So I got that going for me, which is nice! 

What are your thoughts or feels with this style? I.e. do you try to have the left hand be totally passive, not applying any force to the putter, but rather just sort of stabilizing the butt end as kind of like a fixed point in space for the putter to pendulum off of? And then do you think of your right arm as just hanging straight down from your shoulder socket and just swinging straight back and straight through like as if you were rolling a bocce ball on a straight line with no spin? Or, do you do what I should do more of, and not think or try to feel any certain thing but rather just look at the hole and try to roll your ball into it? 🤣 Also, do you look at the ball or the hole while swinging? Thanks! I love learning about everything putting.

• Like 2

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

16 hours ago, JA17 said:

My wife took this photo of a midrange putt right before it fell right in the middle. One of 3 from distance that I made in 9 holes this afternoon. I like my broomstick so much that I’m contemplating buying a back up! 1FC7B7B9-FDEF-47BA-8D03-340883877C78.jpeg.849a7d31fdfd1b586fe940069dd419d6.jpeg

I would LOVE to try this!!! Talk about seeing the line!  Like shooting a free throw.  And I was a damn good free throw shooter. Just sayin’ 

• Like 3

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

58 minutes ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

What are your thoughts or feels with this style? I.e. do you try to have the left hand be totally passive, not applying any force to the putter, but rather just sort of stabilizing the butt end as kind of like a fixed point in space for the putter to pendulum off of? And then do you think of your right arm as just hanging straight down from your shoulder socket and just swinging straight back and straight through like as if you were rolling a bocce ball on a straight line with no spin? Or, do you do what I should do more of, and not think or try to feel any certain thing but rather just look at the hole and try to roll your ball into it? 🤣 Also, do you look at the ball or the hole while swinging? Thanks! I love learning about everything putting.

This style is like pitching pennies but using a putter. The beauty of it is you are 100% target oriented, instead of worrying about the process. The greatest benefit for me is speed control which is #1 in putting. Get the speed right and it’s in the hole or at worst it’s a manageable second putt which is why I look at the hole when putting. 

• Like 1

@JA17- LOL... after seeing your posts I want to try this now. how tall are you and what length shaft did you end up ordering for your broomstick?  Also, which style grip did you choose JumboMax or Winn SplitGrip?

• Like 1

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

1 hour ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

@JA17- LOL... after seeing your posts I want to try this now. how tall are you and what length shaft did you end up ordering for your broomstick?  Also, which style grip did you choose JumboMax or Winn SplitGrip?

I’m 6 feet tall and like to lean in a bit. I ordered the 48” but it came to me more like 46” but it’s ok. When I sole the putter, the shaft comes right to the middle of my chest at the sternum which is perfect for me. I use the split grip because when I hang my right arm down, it comes to rest near the bottom of the second grip section. Some like a bit of an arm bend in the right arm, I don’t. But the split grip gives you plenty of room to do what’s comfortable.

1 minute ago, JA17 said:

I’m 6 feet tall and like to lean in a bit. I ordered the 48” but it came to me more like 46” but it’s ok. When I sole the putter, the shaft comes right to the middle of my chest at the sternum which is perfect for me. I use the split grip because when I hang my right arm down, it comes to rest near the bottom of the second grip section. Some like a bit of an arm bend in the right arm, I don’t. But the split grip gives you plenty of room to do what’s comfortable.

I also like to have my gripping hand forearm to be parallel to the green. Just more comfortable that way. 

First round today with the DF2.1. I have to send it back tomorrow to be worked on and lab is helping out wonderfully. That said, I have been practicing with it on decent days in the SE but between rain and cold and work, finding them can be a challenge.  

lovwd it during the round.  I didn’t really make anything today but that wasn’t the point. Sped control was good. Feel was good.  Everything in the 5’ range was made. I had 3 from 10’   Left 2, one rotation short and the other I misread the break.  But overall, can’t wait to get it back and it will be in the bag for spring and summer golf.  Can’t believe I’m saying that tho as I loved my Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch (blacked out).  Never thought I’d leave that putter behind.  

I will say as other have, the size of the putter or the visual just goes away.  Everyone that sees it says something but once you use it, you just bare focusing on that side of the putter.  I don’t really see anything passed the upfront blade and lines.  I don’t even see the shaft intersecting the putter.  

I kinda want to add some led tape tho.  Is that and issue? And where would you put it to or throw anything off?

Very good thread. I purchased my first one used (Red/35"/69d) and my second one from LAB after fitting (Black/36"/73d). They had a brand new one that was made to the wrong specs for another customer. I jumped on it for the price. I have been using both on my practice mat. I knew the first one was going to be flat for me, but was concerned I might not find one at all for a good price, so I pulled the trigger. The Red has the bigger grip, the black has the smaller OG grip. Usually a smaller grip means better feel on long putts for me, but you are more prone to twist the smaller grip. Red has standard markings on top, long with line on face, and one line for alignment. Black has short line on face, and two close lines for alignment. 

Some thoughts so far. Love them both, I have only been putting from 5 or 6 feet, but love the look when looking down. I have always used a mallet style, so look of putter fits me. I did have to adjust my ball position to a more forward spot. I put the spot where the shaft enters the putter right in the middle of my stance now, my old ball position. Both have solid feel to me, no ping at all.  I love the roll off the face, period. The one thing that helped me the most probably was the tip in this thread about taking the thumbs off the grip and putting. It has been a great way to stop twisting the putter. I have even just started putting with only my left thumb on the putter. ( I am a right hander) I encourage anyone to try this if they are having trouble with twisting putter in swing. Still working with both, but I am surprised that I actually like the original alignment aid on the Red a little better than what's on the Black. I also like the bigger grip on the Red, vs the OG on the Black. Now I haven't hit any long putts, so don't know anything about lags putts. So far, liking them!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Minarets said:

First round today with the DF2.1. I have to send it back tomorrow to be worked on and lab is helping out wonderfully. That said, I have been practicing with it on decent days in the SE but between rain and cold and work, finding them can be a challenge.  

lovwd it during the round.  I didn’t really make anything today but that wasn’t the point. Sped control was good. Feel was good.  Everything in the 5’ range was made. I had 3 from 10’   Left 2, one rotation short and the other I misread the break.  But overall, can’t wait to get it back and it will be in the bag for spring and summer golf.  Can’t believe I’m saying that tho as I loved my Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch (blacked out).  Never thought I’d leave that putter behind.  

I will say as other have, the size of the putter or the visual just goes away.  Everyone that sees it says something but once you use it, you just bare focusing on that side of the putter.  I don’t really see anything passed the upfront blade and lines.  I don’t even see the shaft intersecting the putter.  

I kinda want to add some led tape tho.  Is that and issue? And where would you put it to or throw anything off?

Taping it is a thing. email us and we can take you through it but I'd recommend leaving it as is for at least a few more rounds. The lighter feel will encourage lighter grip pressure for better results. Whats weird is that it isn't even that light. Much heavier than most putters but nit FEELS light because of the absence of torque

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, labgolf said:

Taping it is a thing. email us and we can take you through it but I'd recommend leaving it as is for at least a few more rounds. The lighter feel will encourage lighter grip pressure for better results. Whats weird is that it isn't even that light. Much heavier than most putters but nit FEELS light because of the absence of torque

I will say the only thing I don’t care for is the head cover. Love the putter. It isn’t the head cover’s fault, it’s just the two magnets make it harder to take off.  A minor complaint from an awesome putter.  

• Like 1

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Latest addition to the bag and can't wait to try it out tomorrow afternoon. Went back and forth between the red and nickel but ultimately chose red as I like the white markings and think the dark red looks 💯

After reading the reviews on the BGT Stability shafts, I splurged and went all out with the Black edition and looks awesome. Didn't realize they were limited production! Had a individually numbered sticker on it and everything. Apparently this is shaft #33. 😎  

Coming from a Scotty Fastback 1.5 Special Select. First Scotty I ever owned and think it is lovely to look at, I just am not consistent with it at all unfortunately. 

F9B740EB-360B-4444-BB97-C2BDFB81A5B1.JPG

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Gundee said:

Latest addition to the bag and can't wait to try it out tomorrow afternoon. Went back and forth between the red and nickel but ultimately chose red as I like the white markings and think the dark red looks

A fine choice you've made.  Remember, light grip pressure lets the magic happen😉.  Welcome to Team L.A.B. !  

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

13 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

How different do those two putters feel?  I currently use a Futura X.  Curious how much adjustment I would have to make.

I guess the X is about as close as you could get with a standard putter, but still totally different. As far as size, not THAT much difference and the size difference goes away at address (unless you have buddies that remind you how big your putter is). I actually putt different which each also. With my Scotty, I have an insane amount of weight on it and I putt with a claw grip. With the L.A.B., I putt traditionally with very loose grip pressure. When using the claw grip with the L.A.B., I felt like I was manipulating the putter head.

Mr. Wolfe

Just got home from a weekend trip to Florida with my buddies.  This was the maiden voyage for the LAB putter and it not only didn't disappoint but it put a cork in all of my buddies who were laughing at me when I pulled it out of the bag the first day.  They weren't laughing for long!  In fact one of the guys on the last day said "I want to laugh at that putter but it's rolling so pure".

Lag putts, mid-range, short putts...everything was spot on all weekend.  If there was a miss it was purely on me mis-reading the line.  No jumping off the face, no skidding, just a pure roll every single time.  I'm working on some alignment on the ball to help get my line set up better and I think once I get better on that end I'll start to see more 1-putts made.

So far, very happy with this putter.  Specs are spot on and the blue head looks amazing.

• Like 3