MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

@osubuckeyes691   

I have not had mine long enough to say whether it has affected my distance control with a ST shaft, but having said that, I did notice a significant weight difference between the stock KBS steel shaft vs the Stability Tour. For more context, I recently sent my DF 2.1 T7 into LAB Golf to have the shaft upgraded to the Stability Tour.  When I received it back, I noticed the putter felt significantly lighter compared to the stock KBS steel shaft.  Long story short, there was an issue w/ the upgraded shaft so, I had to send it back to have it resolved.  In doing so, I was able to speak to the person doing the repair and I mentioned the weight difference I felt and he stated he could adjust the weight to get it back as close to the pre KBS steel weight --- note weight: 124g for KBS Steel shaft and 110g for Stability Tour shaft --- which is a difference of 14g ---- I agreed to have the weight increased.  We shall see how it goes once I get it back from LAB.  I do know that with the KBS shaft distance control wasn't an issue once I got used to the DF 2.1 so, hopefully with the additional increase in weight along with the Stability shaft my distance control will be the same.  I know a few others have mentioned the putter felt light with the Stability Tour shaft and I can definitely concur with that statement.    

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches
  • Like 1

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

33 minutes ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

@osubuckeyes691   

I have not had mine long enough to say whether it has affected my distance control with a ST shaft, but having said that, I did notice a significant weight difference between the stock KBS steel shaft vs the Stability Tour. For more context, I recently sent my DF 2.1 T7 into LAB Golf to have the shaft upgraded to the Stability Tour.  When I received it back, I noticed the putter felt significantly lighter compared to the stock KBS steel shaft.  Long story short, there was an issue w/ the upgraded shaft so, I had to send it back to have it resolved.  In doing so, I was able to speak to the person doing the repair and I mentioned the weight difference I felt and he stated he could adjust the weight to get it back as close to the pre KBS steel weight --- note weight: 124g for KBS Steel shaft and 110g for Stability Tour shaft --- which is a difference of 14g ---- I agreed to have the weight increased.  We shall see how it goes once I get it back from LAB.  I do know that with the KBS shaft distance control wasn't an issue once I got used to the DF 2.1 so, hopefully with the additional increase in weight along with the Stability shaft my distance control will be the same.  I know a few others have mentioned the putter felt light with the Stability Tour shaft and I can definitely concur with that statement.    

I too feel mine is light (with stability shaft). I should receive my putter back today.  Had to send back to LAB to have an issue fixed. I asked while they had it if we could add weight and they told me yes but to try using it longer (only got it first of Jan) before making the change.  It wasn’t a comparison to the other shaft but that it felt light to what I was used to.   

I will put with it for a few more weeks before deciding.  

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

6 hours ago, osubuckeyes691 said:

I have a DF 2.1 with Stability Tour shaft. Does anyone else feel like these putters take quite a bit of extra "hit" to get the ball to go the same distance as other putters?

I used it for the first time on greens that were running 11+ last weekend and I literally left every putt short. Just felt like the input didn't equal the output

Others have mentioned this. I think the idea is that you are letting gravity do the work, not hitting at all. This means you do probably need a longer stroke than you are used to, as you are not supplying any force through your hands. Also, I could see on 11+ greens with that giant head down there you might be kind of tentative, worried that this giant mass will blast the ball off the green. My understanding is that the head isn't as "massive" as it looks, or doesn't work the same way as torque putters, so you don't have to worry about that giant head blasting the ball off the green. Just go ahead and rock the shoulders and let gravity do the work. You'll figure out how long of a backstroke you need.

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

Shipping delays are killing me.  Still don’t have my putter.   I know selfish as there are a lot worse off than me right now but man, my putter was shipped last Monday.  Hope to get it today. Who knows. 

• Like 1

@MinaretsI feel your pain.  Shipping wait times in general are still "FUBAR" across the nation.

• Like 1

PXG 0317 X

Well I did it. Broomstick 2.1 received. Been using it on my indoor green which has roughly a 12 foot maximum putt length. I am making well over 95% of my putts from all distances. This NEVER happens, including putters I was “fitted” for. No clue how this will translate to outdoor considering it is at least two more weeks until I can see outdoors again due to snow, but I can easily say I am at an all time high with putter confidence. Long story short, this thing is AWESOME. Optimism once the snow melts is sky high. 

Here is my question for you guys. I have been doing some launch monitor ball testing this winter, and it looks like my top two balls are tried and true Pro V1 and the Bridgestone Tour BX. Pretty cool how these two balls are basically neck and neck. When I putt with the BX, I am noticing two distinct differences. One, I definitely need to hit it harder. I do not feel that with the Pro V at all. Just take it back and go and distance control is there.  Most putts with the BX are short. And two, the Tour BX does not seem to hold its line the same as the Pro V. I am wondering if that’s more due to the fact that I feel like I have to give it a bit of a hit, therefore “manipulating “ the putter and then I miss. 

Has anyone noticed anything like this before?

• Confused 2

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

1 hour ago, iceman1118 said:

Well I did it. Broomstick 2.1 received. Been using it on my indoor green which has roughly a 12 foot maximum putt length. I am making well over 95% of my putts from all distances. This NEVER happens, including putters I was “fitted” for. No clue how this will translate to outdoor considering it is at least two more weeks until I can see outdoors again due to snow, but I can easily say I am at an all time high with putter confidence. Long story short, this thing is AWESOME. Optimism once the snow melts is sky high. 

Here is my question for you guys. I have been doing some launch monitor ball testing this winter, and it looks like my top two balls are tried and true Pro V1 and the Bridgestone Tour BX. Pretty cool how these two balls are basically neck and neck. When I putt with the BX, I am noticing two distinct differences. One, I definitely need to hit it harder. I do not feel that with the Pro V at all. Just take it back and go and distance control is there.  Most putts with the BX are short. And two, the Tour BX does not seem to hold its line the same as the Pro V. I am wondering if that’s more due to the fact that I feel like I have to give it a bit of a hit, therefore “manipulating “ the putter and then I miss. 

Has anyone noticed anything like this before?

Maybe the ball "issue" is because the ProV is softer? I always found softer balls to go a bit further off the putter

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

15 hours ago, Minarets said:

Shipping delays are killing me.  Still don’t have my putter.   I know selfish as there are a lot worse off than me right now but man, my putter was shipped last Monday.  Hope to get it today. Who knows. 

FINALLY!!!!   

Better get out and use today.  Rain the next 7 days. 🤬

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Minarets said:

FINALLY!!!!   

Better get out and use today.  Rain the next 7 days. 🤬

Congrats on the Putter and condolences for the Weather forecast.

I still have my fingers crossed that they might find a Factory Second putter in my specs🤞

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

10 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Maybe the ball "issue" is because the ProV is softer? I always found softer balls to go a bit further off the putter

That's interesting. I had never thought about that. I usually think of softer balls going shorter, but I could see them bouncing more off the putter and travelling with better energy toward the hole. I have this training ball with red lines and circles on it and it is just a total cheap-o and rolls terribly and I definitely miss with it more than the ProV1. I never thought a ball could make that much of a difference in putting, but I'm starting to believe.

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

8 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

That's interesting. I had never thought about that. I usually think of softer balls going shorter, but I could see them bouncing more off the putter and travelling with better energy toward the hole. I have this training ball with red lines and circles on it and it is just a total cheap-o and rolls terribly and I definitely miss with it more than the ProV1. I never thought a ball could make that much of a difference in putting, but I'm starting to believe.

Its certainly not scientifically proven, but I always felt that way when e.g. testing Chrome Soft vs B330. For me it does not matter which one I choose for putting, but if I switch around golf balls during a round, my putting suffers the most.

Maybe me, looking for excuses for my sometimes horrendous putting especially from medium distance 😂

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

23 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

I am starting to believe that is the case. I think with the DF putter considering I am not purposefully transferring any energy to the ball, just letting the putter work, the softer ball compresses more? Very confusing but it seems to be the case for sure. 

• Like 1

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

12 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I’m starting to believe as well. I never noticed any differences when putting with different balls and different types of putters before. Inserts vs milled I could tell some difference. But this is pretty wild in my opinion. And not in a bad way if that makes sense.

I’m still testing both balls and probably will for a couple of more weeks, but if this is the case then the Pro V wins for me. I’m putting so well with this putter by letting it work there would be zero reason to play a ball of any kind that requires me to manipulate the putter. And I think in this case, trying to hit a firmer ball harder could cause some issues, especially inside 10-15 feet. 

• Like 1

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

2 hours ago, iceman1118 said:

I’m starting to believe as well. I never noticed any differences when putting with different balls and different types of putters before. Inserts vs milled I could tell some difference. But this is pretty wild in my opinion. And not in a bad way if that makes sense.

I’m still testing both balls and probably will for a couple of more weeks, but if this is the case then the Pro V wins for me. I’m putting so well with this putter by letting it work there would be zero reason to play a ball of any kind that requires me to manipulate the putter. And I think in this case, trying to hit a firmer ball harder could cause some issues, especially inside 10-15 feet. 

I am starting to really see the wisdom in this. I mean, if you think about it, I'm sure if you putt a rubber bouncy ball and a round hard rock that both weighed the same and were the same size with the same amount of force, the rubber bouncy ball would go further. Now that might not be the case for a full swing, as maybe the rubber bouncy ball would just totally smush with too much speed and not go anywhere, while the hard rock would stand up to the greater force better and go further. Whoa, my mind is starting to be blown! I can totally see why the ball would matter for putting now and why some balls might be a better fit for DF2.1 than others. Can't wait to get mine and do some testing on the practice green and course.

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

Oh sweet.  Probably would have gotten that one over BST but oh well.  

On 2/25/2021 at 6:54 PM, bobbyclampett!! said:

training ball with red lines and circles on it

Those balls are the worst for feel and distance control (a rock feels better than those balls).  Ask me how I know!  🙂. That said, I just use a triple track stencil for both training and playing.  Has helped me out considerably with alignment.  Specifically, I use this stencil...

PXG 0317 X

Today was the first round I played where I didn’t make a single birdie with my LAB broomstick. But only had one bad putt (a pull about a foot to the left on a 20’ uphill putt). Every other putt started on the line I picked which continues to amaze me. When I missed today, it was speed or misreading the intended line or both. But I made a handful of par saves from 5-10 feet. Also, every putt from distance yielded a kick in 2 putt except for one 3 jack. I used to be the king of 3 putting. Not anymore. Thanks LAB!

• Like 2

I’m still struggling with my thumbs.  I cannot do the “no thumbs” on the grip.  I’m trying to lay them gently on the grip and then tried resting them on the outsides of the grip.  Still working at it.  

I am still struggling to find a grip that feels comfortable and "natural" with this DF2.1.  I have the Press 3* and have been messing around with all sorts of different styles, but still haven't found it.  I have putted left hand low (right handed) for years, and have been with this putter as well, but something feels off with it.  Still a massive fan of this putter though 🔥

Edited by TylerJ89
  • Like 1

How long has everybody waited for an answer when asking for a factory second or blemished putter? I do know they just moved, but I am dying as it’s almost been a week🙈

edit: just noticed this sounds like a complaint which it is not! Just couriosity. So far very happy with Remote fitting and the customer service

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 2/28/2021 at 4:05 AM, TylerJ89 said:

I am still struggling to find a grip that feels comfortable and "natural" with this DF2.1.  I have the Press 3* and have been messing around with all sorts of different styles, but still haven't found it.  I have putted left hand low (right handed) for years, and have been with this putter as well, but something feels off with it.  Still a massive fan of this putter though 🔥

I ended up making a large departure from where I used to be. Used to have a standard reverse overlap and a strong left hand, neutral right hand. Now, thanks to the weirdo shape of the OG, my left hand is very weak and the right hand very strong. Or in other words, both palms worked underneath the shaft. Also, I just use either 10 fingers or a normal overlap/vardon grip. The weak left hand seems to be fairly common. Who knows why!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

How long has everybody waited for an answer when asking for a factory second or blemished putter? I do know they just moved, but I am dying as it’s almost been a week🙈

edit: just noticed this sounds like a complaint which it is not! Just couriosity. So far very happy with Remote fitting and the customer service

Try emailing Trey directly. [email protected]

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, labgolf said:

Do you put the grip more in your life line or more in the fingers?

The first pic is where I rest the grip in hand.  The second is where I would rest my thumb.  The third is where I’m trying with the 2.1. Didn’t have the 2.1 handy when taking pics but the way I grip is the same. 

FF37BC68-05B7-4570-9C99-8532D1697043.jpeg

D45CB08B-5DB4-4DBD-B2D1-E2B879247188.jpeg

8DF9E330-002D-4623-80B9-53EC4E8850BB.jpeg

6 minutes ago, labgolf said:

Hmmm. So what are you experiencing when you take your thumbs off the DF?

The pics uploaded in different order.  2nd pic is what I have been trying with 2.1. The bottom is what I typically would use.  

when trying the stroke with thumbs off I feel I don’t have control of putter.  My grip pressure is so lite (on all putters) that I feel more focus on thumbs up or off that i don’t confidently can swing the putter.  Putting them thumbs off the side seemed to help the other day somewhat.