MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

2 hours ago, Minarets said:

The pics uploaded in different order.  2nd pic is what I have been trying with 2.1. The bottom is what I typically would use.  

when trying the stroke with thumbs off I feel I don’t have control of putter.  My grip pressure is so lite (on all putters) that I feel more focus on thumbs up or off that i don’t confidently can swing the putter.  Putting them thumbs off the side seemed to help the other day somewhat. 

Ideally we are trying to have enough tension in the wrist to "support" the shaft while moving the putter with your shoulders. We WANT you to feel out of control because this builds trust that the putter stays square on its own while training you to align properly and to use the right parts of your body. Keep us posted!

• Like 2

Minarets, I know what you are saying. At first with no thumbs, it feels totally sloppy. And it seems like your first picture, you have the grip quite a bit in your fingers, as opposed to on your lifeline. You might want to try the LAB more in the palms of your hands as opposed to your fingers. If you stick with that no thumbs drill and feel (as training, I don't think I would recommend in play), it will teach you how the LAB is supposed to work. No more manipulating with hands. All shoulders and gravity, baby.

Ummmm, so today I got to practice on an actual green, and I heard a cool distance control/lag putting drill on the SeeMore Putting Couch Podcast. Lay a club 18" behind the hole (in this case, a tee for me as no holes yet in the practice green). Hit three putts each from 9', 15', 21', 27', 33', and 39'. You get two points for holing it, one point for ending up between the hole and the club, and -1 for coming up short or hitting the club. Keep track of your score and compare over time for progress or with different putters. Long story short, I, no kidding, hit the tee in the dead center twice in a row from 39' with my B.2. And overall controlled my distance phenomenally. Taking the manipulation of the hands out of the stroke helps not only square the face, but your distance control is so much better when you let the size of the arc of the swing and gravity and your shoulders do the trick, rather than trying to get the speed right with the twitch of your hands. Man, this is so fun!

Speaking of SeeMore Putters, @labgolf, I watched your video the other day on other companies' attempts to reduce torque in the putters (which was an awesome video, by the way). SeeMore has something called "Face Balanced at Impact". This is how they describe it:  "Second is a measure that SeeMore believes is uniquely relevant to great long-term putting performance for many golfers: face balanced at impact. This measure means that the putter dynamics are balanced so that during the stroke, the putter face with minimal resistance would swing on a perfect tour like putting path, on the slight natural arc stroke that 95% of all tour players use. The putter is always square to the natural path of the stroke. There are videos on the site that explain in detail the concept of face balanced at impact." Have you done any testing of their FBAI putters? What are the pros and cons? Do they work the same was as LAB? Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

2 hours ago, labgolf said:

Ideally we are trying to have enough tension in the wrist to "support" the shaft while moving the putter with your shoulders. We WANT you to feel out of control because this builds trust that the putter stays square on its own while training you to align properly and to use the right parts of your body. Keep us posted!

Do you have a video of this? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

after reading through all 44 pages (last week) and becoming ridiculously interested in this putter and the science behind it, i was watching youtube videos last night.  i came across the video below that was posted last summer and at 15:23 he mentions coming out with a new model and hoping to release it at the next PGA show. unfortunately that was cancelled.  @labgolf any thoughts on when you will be releasing a new model or was that comment a simple joking response for the conversation taking place?

Edited by tenacious84

2 hours ago, tenacious84 said:

after reading through all 44 pages (last week) and becoming ridiculously interested in this putter and the science behind it, i was watching youtube videos last night.  i came across the video below that was posted last summer and at 15:23 he mentions coming out with a new model and hoping to release it at the next PGA show. unfortunately that was cancelled.  @labgolf any thoughts on when you will be releasing a new model or was that comment a simple joking response for the conversation taking place?

Nothing specifically in the works right now.

19 minutes ago, dhen9 said:

If my specs from a putter fitting says 34" and 69° lie should I find a 70 or 68 and order the spec putter or is 1° really worth the upcharge for a custom Lab Golf Putter?

In my remote fitting, Liam told me 

a. What are the recommended specs

b. What my specs in one of the „Stocks“ would be

c. That I was in between 71 and 72 degrees on most strokes, so both should work

So I would absolutely advise getting the remote fitting done, it takes only a mini video and you get an educated answer very quickly.

If that’s not an option: I doubt 1* of lie angle would make a noticeable difference on a putter (very little loft)

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

9 hours ago, dhen9 said:

If my specs from a putter fitting says 34" and 69° lie should I find a 70 or 68 and order the spec putter or is 1° really worth the upcharge for a custom Lab Golf Putter?

NO.

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

9 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

In my remote fitting, Liam told me 

a. What are the recommended specs

b. What my specs in one of the „Stocks“ would be

c. That I was in between 71 and 72 degrees on most strokes, so both should work

So I would absolutely advise getting the remote fitting done, it takes only a mini video and you get an educated answer very quickly.

If that’s not an option: I doubt 1* of lie angle would make a noticeable difference on a putter (very little loft)

I echo this.  I put in my order over the weekend.  I sent in my video Friday afternoon, got a reply extremely quickly (before the end of the day Friday), which told me my specs for custom df2.1 and B.2 and for stock. I was 35" at 68 degrees for everything, except stock df2.1 was 69 degrees which is what I went with. Super excited and the next few weeks can't pass quick enough!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dhen9 said:

No? So spec or custom?

If you’re within a degree and like the sight line graphics and grip, pull the trigger!  The cost savings and immediate shipping are worth it.

One more thing to consider is if you’re married to your current stroke and set-up.  This putter moved my ball position more forward in my stance and now I’ve moved a tad closer to the ball at address (vs my previous putter). I get better results with higher hands as well due to the larger grip and balancing of this putter.  Add in taller golf shoes and I’d error on the side of more upright if I had to do it again.  

Edited by Cliffy2020

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

Got my B.2 out in the wild today for actual golf. Course was pretty sloppy (wet, icy, muddy) and greens weren't fantastic, but not bad for this time of year. I found my touch on the long lag putts to be exceptional. Left myself with easy tap ins, no three putts. I did find, as others on here have, that I missed a few short par putts following chips on the high side as I powered through the break. This thing just has amazing energy transfer and such a tight roll. Can't give the hole away. I'm learning though, getting the feel of it. I think it's going to be super deadly once I figure that out.

• Like 3

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

It is official:

After a few very nice mails with Trey, I just ordered my DF 2.1 (Factory Second).

35", 71°

Blue with #16 Alignment

KBS Black and Press II, 3°

I am pumped. Putted on real greens today for the first time in 2021 and I still suck at short and mid putts lol.

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups
  • Like 3

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

36 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Well, today was amazing with the 2.1.  25 putts for the round. 11 one-putts. Best ever for me. This was the 2nd round of golf played with the putter. I have probably practiced about 10 times with it so far.  

sadly, it may have been worst iron/driver round for me.  I chipped best ever too.  Scored like crap because I couldn’t get to the damn green 

That's amazing! 11 one putts! Once your driving and approach game comes around, watch out!

Did you get any comments on your DF? I am 2-for-2 on getting comments on the B.2. People do not know what to make of it (Is that old? New?), but they know it's different!

I can't wait to get my DF2.1. It's starting to get nice here!

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

I got my 2.1 delivered Tuesday evening and putted outdoors for first time today.  First impression is very positive.  Results were good for 1 hour or so of practice.  Line is very true.  I could see how some might struggle with distance control at first.  I think I read enough of this thread to know what to expect.  

Ordered Nickel finish, standard length - KBS CT shaft.  I like the Nickel finish personally. Grip was a big question mark for me.  I usually don't like oversized grips.  I think I can live with Press II.  Would still like to try to the OG in the future.  I wasn't pumped about 115 gram for weight of grip for the OG 3.0.  

All in all, I see great things for my putter for upcoming season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

That's amazing! 11 one putts! Once your driving and approach game comes around, watch out!

Did you get any comments on your DF? I am 2-for-2 on getting comments on the B.2. People do not know what to make of it (Is that old? New?), but they know it's different!

I can't wait to get my DF2.1. It's starting to get nice here!

Yes I did.  One of my playing partners who gave me hell back in November when I decided to order one and showed him several videos commented, but I expected him too.  He gave me hell for the price I paid but has been saying maybe he would get one (standard shaft) if i started to drain putts from everywhere this season. This was the first time we played since I received it and he gave me hell from the start saying i was scared to play trying to hide the putter.  

on #13 he threatened to throw it in the pond. 

then on #17(we were backed up) he asked to putt with it.  

in all honestly I do not expect to putt like that often or ever.  It was very confidence inspiring today. Again, I chipped amazing all day and left myself with inside 10’ all day.  I had one long lag on a par 3 where I flew the green on my approach. Putter from just off the green from around 70’ and put it to 2’. The speed and line were just there.   It was just one of those days, but felt great.   Too bad I still shot 79 because my irons/driver were just awful.  

My partner, after the round, said he was going to look at the blemished inventory. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Minarets said:

in all honestly I do not expect to putt like that often or ever. 

Why not!? I think this tech has the ability to really change putting. I don't see why you shouldn't expect to putt like that every time!

• Like 3

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

Im going through that phase where I am not putting lights out... just kind of flatlined.

Just want to get everyones feedback... I was doing thumbs off drill and would actually do it as part of my preshot routine worked pretty good ... then I went through a few rounds where I just felt like I missing all the important putts (birdies) and it kind leaked into my short putts. I guess i was feeling too "loose" .... I tried tightening up my stroke i guess made things worse so I may bench it

Are you guys feeling really "loosey goosey" with this and just trusting the lie angle balance. I guess the sensation for me is just left the hands do its things and let the head go back and through on its own.

Ive tried a longer slower stroke, with some success but i guess when I get a little nervous my distance control gets out of whack with a longer stroke

hard to trust but i guess have to practice it 

Edited by vietnameeh

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

14 minutes ago, vietnameeh said:

Im going through that phase where I am not putting lights out... just kind of flatlined.

Just want to get everyones feedback... I was doing thumbs off drill and would actually do it as part of my preshot routine worked pretty good ... then I went through a few rounds where I just felt like I missing all the important putts (birdies) and it kind leaked into my short putts. I guess i was feeling too "loose" .... I tried tightening up my stroke i guess made things worse so I may bench it

Are you guys feeling really "loosey goosey" with this and just trusting the lie angle balance. I guess the sensation for me is just left the hands do its things and let the head go back and through on its own.

Ive tried a longer slower stroke, with some success but i guess when I get a little nervous my distance control gets out of whack with a longer stroke

I’m in a bit of a different boat with a long putter. But I don’t even think of my grip at all. Just do what’s comfortable. Speed or distance control, however you want to call it, is the only variable that dictates my success on the green. When my speed is on, I putt it great. When my speed is off (usually too fast for the line), I 2 putt. 

• Like 1

I also must say I love the flag head cover.  Someone mentioned “breaking it in” and I now know what they mean.  At first I didn’t think mine fit.  Was kinda disappointed but it was just really tight and unused. Now it fits nice and snug and looks great. Great quality.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vietnameeh said:

I experimented a lot with this because I initially clearly had too much hand force in my stroke that was not working well with LAB. So I tried to make my stroke just like The Revealer, with no force or pressure from hands. This is how I got to thumbs off (independently, I think, from the suggestions on here, which was pretty cool). At first that felt real sloppy, as I would take my arms away faster than the club wanted to go, and the club kind of lagged behind and then same on thru stroke. So my stroke was just too fast and short, I think. Whatever it was, I think the thumbs off drill taught me what this putter wanted to do and how it wanted to work.

But ultimately I do not think you want to have a "loosey goosey" or sloppy or out of control stroke on the course. You still want a smooth, stable stroke that is under control. I think of the thumbs doing what the left hand does for a basketball shot (for a right hander): it's there to sort of guide and stabilize the ball and keep it in one place while the right hand supplies all the force (distance) and direction of the shot. You wouldn't want to shoot a jump shot with just your right hand. But you also don't want any force from the left hand, as that would push the ball out of your right hand or offline on the shot.

Let the thumbs on your LAB be like the left hand on a basketball shot, and let your shoulders on your putting stroke (the fulcrum point) and gravity be like the right hand on a basketball shot, supplying the force and determining the distance (no need for shoulders to determine the direction because LAB does it for you!).

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

15 hours ago, vietnameeh said:

Yeah, its tough to remember its still a putter and we are still humans who have ups and downs. I find most of the time that the answer to my cold spells is usually about address position. Both ball position as well as distance from the ball usually have a big impact on how I feel over the putt. I always try to look for an answer that has nothing to do with the motion before I start messing with grips and tempo and such. If you are feeling very confident with you set (MOST IMPORTANTLY YOUR AIM), then try and shift your focus. For me, I can get a little too focused on the putter and the ball rather than being more target oriented. I can pull myself out of slumps pretty regularly by getting really focused and precise about my target. Like picking a single blade of grass on the specific part of the hole that I want the ball to enter. The whole beauty of the putter is that it is suppose to allow us to be more reactive to a target rather than focused on a stroke. And my little cheat on short putts is to keep the tip of the shaft moving down my intended line almost as though there was no putter head attached. If you continue to struggle, email us. If you can make it through the "hangover" period you are experiecing, you'll be better for it.

• Like 2

Hoping to collect some video testimonials about L.A.B. putter for a commercial. If you want in, send yours to [email protected]. It can be as long or short as you want. It can be any level of appropriateness. Would love to hear about all the s*** you took from your friends for using and how they may or may not have changed their tune. Videos of you putting is great too. Open season. Anything you want.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Minarets said:

on #13 he threatened to throw it in the pond. 

Now that is funny.

I would have reciprocated with a threat to throw him in right after that so he could retrieve it 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

5 hours ago, labgolf said:

Hoping to collect some video testimonials about L.A.B. putter for a commercial. If you want in, send yours to [email protected]. It can be as long or short as you want. It can be any level of appropriateness. Would love to hear about all the s*** you took from your friends for using and how they may or may not have changed their tune. Videos of you putting is great too. Open season. Anything you want.

Love that you ask for this openly instead of going the easy way and just hire people! Sets you really apart from other manufacturers. I will most definitely be late as I just ordered but still wanted to support that "honest way" of yours.

Actually you might have to make sure you paste a link to this thread to your commercial, its as good as anything for convincing people to buy your putter!

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups
  • Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

21 minutes ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Love that you ask for this openly instead of going the easy way and just hire people! Sets you really apart from other manufacturers. I will most definitely be late as I just ordered but still wanted to support that "honest way" of yours.

Actually you might have to make sure you paste a link to this thread to your commercial, its as good as anything for convincing people to buy your putter!

Yeah This thread has been amazing. I send the link to anyone I run into online who's on the fence.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, labgolf said:

Oooo, I’ve always been destined for stardom....you just want cell phone quality vids? 

• Haha 1

Anyone ever use the Press 1.5° grip on their DF 2.1?  The 3° seems like a lot to me and I can’t get comfortable with my hands that far forward.  I know 1.5° won’t make a huge difference, but it will some.  The 1.5° is lighter too, which will make the head feel a little heavier, so that in itself is a selling point for me.  Also, it is 1/10” smaller on top and bottom, which isn’t a lot, but it’s smaller.  

Anyone else try this?

Edited by TylerJ89