MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

That’s my issue with the putter. I feel like it needs a dampening material inside the putter head to give it a more solid feel and sound. Maybe if they added more internal weight that would make it sound more solid. I feel like they do not want to address the sound and feel of their putters. If you read comments, feel and sound of the putter are always mentioned as a negative.

I like this alignment. It matches perfectly with callaway triple track balls.

image.jpg

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, ThinkingPlus said:

That's because the only sound that matters is the one made by the ball when in hits the bottom of the cup.

I do agree there need to be a sound adjustment. I can get past it. But it is not the best. 

I know new models are coming soon. Will have to see what they bring.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Did a little head-to-head experiment between my B.2 and DF2.1 now that I have both. 100 6' putts on my Perfect Practice putting mat with the smaller than regulation hole. 99/100 with DF2.1. 95/100 with B.2.

I think the main way I would describe the difference is that, although I feel very good and confident with the B.2, it seems to take more concentration and effort than the DF to keep things on plane and on the right path, and slight variations in the stroke are punished just a little more (as Sam has said to me before!). The DF2.1 just feels automatic, like I can go on autopilot and it will just do its thing and propel the ball tightly down the center line no matter what I do. To say I feel confident with it would be an understatement. I like both and I could see swapping back and forth from time to time, but for now the DF is the clear winner. 

Regarding a couple other topics brought up recently, I like the Press II 1.5* on the B.2 and the 3* on the DF, although I think I like the 3* more as it is bigger and seems to take the hands out of the stroke even more, lending to that consistency mentioned above. My hands feel perfect on the 3*. I feel the entire putter overall is perfectly balanced with the Stability Tour shaft. And yes, the DF head actually does feel lighter than the B.2, but that's not a bad thing. I love how the DF is balanced overall.

As for sound, the B.2 does have that nice satisfying deep, tight reverberating "thump" or "thwack" (I have the stainless steel model) while the DF is a higher, more click-y sound and the feel is a bit more hollow. I'm guessing that's because the DF uses a lighter material since it's so big and may even in fact be hollow. But it's not a high enough sound or a hollow enough feel to bother me, especially with how incredibly stable, smooth, consistent, and straight the DF rolls the ball. As someone else just posted, I don't give an eff what it sounds or feels like off the face when every ball is rolling in the hole and I'm writing down 3s and 4s all day. And again, that is not to say the DF sounds or feels terrible. It feels fine. I suppose it would be ideal to have it feel like the B.2, but I'm guessing a head like that would weigh about three pounds.

Also, as to the look of the DF2.1, I have absolutely zero qualms with it. In fact, I think it's quite beautiful, especially with the alignment pattern I chose. (#6)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

6 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Did a little head-to-head experiment between my B.2 and DF2.1 now that I have both. 100 6' putts on my Perfect Practice putting mat with the smaller than regulation hole. 99/100 with DF2.1. 95/100 with B.2.

I think the main way I would describe the difference is that, although I feel very good and confident with the B.2, it seems to take more concentration and effort than the DF to keep things on plane and on the right path, and slight variations in the stroke are punished just a little more (as Sam has said to me before!). The DF2.1 just feels automatic, like I can go on autopilot and it will just do its thing and propel the ball tightly down the center line no matter what I do. To say I feel confident with it would be an understatement. I like both and I could see swapping back and forth from time to time, but for now the DF is the clear winner. 

Regarding a couple other topics brought up recently, I like the Press II 1.5* on the B.2 and the 3* on the DF, although I think I like the 3* more as it is bigger and seems to take the hands out of the stroke even more, lending to that consistency mentioned above. My hands feel perfect on the 3*. I feel the entire putter overall is perfectly balanced with the Stability Tour shaft. And yes, the DF head actually does feel lighter than the B.2, but that's not a bad thing. I love how the DF is balanced overall.

As for sound, the B.2 does have that nice satisfying deep, tight reverberating "thump" or "thwack" (I have the stainless steel model) while the DF is a higher, more click-y sound and the feel is a bit more hollow. I'm guessing that's because the DF uses a lighter material since it's so big and may even in fact be hollow. But it's not a high enough sound or a hollow enough feel to bother me, especially with how incredibly stable, smooth, consistent, and straight the DF rolls the ball. As someone else just posted, I don't give an eff what it sounds or feels like off the face when every ball is rolling in the hole and I'm writing down 3s and 4s all day. And again, that is not to say the DF sounds or feels terrible. It feels fine. I suppose it would be ideal to have it feel like the B.2, but I'm guessing a head like that would weigh about three pounds.

Also, as to the look of the DF2.1, I have absolutely zero qualms with it. In fact, I think it's quite beautiful, especially with the alignment pattern I chose. (#6)

That is a lot of made putts.  I’m pretty sure, actually I know I would miss more just out of boredom/losing concentration. Well doe. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I was afraid of the sound before receiving the putter. I do NOT like pingy or tingy putters.  I now only hear that sound on long putts that you have to really hit it hard. Anything else just feels solid.  Rolls very well. 

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

14 hours ago, Minarets said:

That is a lot of made putts.  I’m pretty sure, actually I know I would miss more just out of boredom/losing concentration. Well doe. 

Yeah, it got a little tedious. I split it up over a night and a morning. I actually started into the second hundred with the B.2 right after I did the hundred with the DF and I missed a couple early and I figured it wouldn't be fair to start right after I had just hit 100 putts with the DF. So I waited til the next morning. Even then I think I had less focus with the B.2. There are probably better (or at least other) tests I can and will do over the course of the year (around the world on the practice green from 3', 6', 9', 12' 15', lag putting drills, and then, of course, on course testing, all spread out over days and weeks and possibly months. But I'm off to a good start, especially with a foot of snow still on the ground. The bottom line for now is that the DF just feels effortless and foolproof, while the B.2 still feels as though it requires my attention and effort.

• Like 3

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Yeah, it got a little tedious. I split it up over a night and a morning. I actually started into the second hundred with the B.2 right after I did the hundred with the DF and I missed a couple early and I figured it wouldn't be fair to start right after I had just hit 100 putts with the DF. So I waited til the next morning. Even then I think I had less focus with the B.2. There are probably better (or at least other) tests I can and will do over the course of the year (around the world on the practice green from 3', 6', 9', 12' 15', lag putting drills, and then, of course, on course testing, all spread out over days and weeks and possibly months. But I'm off to a good start, especially with a foot of snow still on the ground. The bottom line for now is that the DF just feels effortless and foolproof, while the B.2 still feels as though it requires my attention and effort.

Will put the foolproofness to the test once the putter arrives.

The DF better'd bringt its A game, I am quite a fool when it comes to putting

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

7 hours ago, emicek said:

Fit for 34.5 and 70 degree lie angle.  Is it worth paying the extra or is the stock 35/69 close enough?

If you love the sight line, I’d pull the trigger on the 35/69 without hesitation.

• Like 1

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

7 hours ago, emicek said:

Fit for 34.5 and 70 degree lie angle.  Is it worth paying the extra or is the stock 35/69 close enough?

Choking down half an inch will hardly be noticeable.  Some people are more sensitive to lie angle than others, YMMV.  And lastly, it depends entirely on your golf budget.  

As additional food for thought, you could get the stock 35/69, and you'd be able to sell it for pretty close to what you paid if you really want to scratch the itch of getting exactly to your spec (headcover constantly in use unless you have it in hand to putt,  to keep it in pristine condition).

That's my $0.02, anyway.

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

Aaron Wise called......  he’s looking for a DF tonight 

• Haha 3

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

On 3/20/2021 at 5:08 AM, PingPoncho said:

Does your Lab Directed 2.1 putter sound like this outdoors. I hit 4 putts and recorded them on my iPhone.

New Recording-1.mp3 487.8 kB · 35 downloads

Sounds like maybe you are catching it a touch high on the face but not too far off of how they sound. Scoot the ball up a touch and focus on hitting the putt on the up swing. almost feel like you are hitting it thin.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:34 AM, PingPoncho said:

That’s my issue with the putter. I feel like it needs a dampening material inside the putter head to give it a more solid feel and sound. Maybe if they added more internal weight that would make it sound more solid. I feel like they do not want to address the sound and feel of their putters. If you read comments, feel and sound of the putter are always mentioned as a negative.

Its not that we don't want to address it. The issue is that the weight ports are used for balancing. Depending on what the putter requires for balance, we end up with different materials in different amounts. Regardless of what gets put in there, it doesn't change that there is an empty chamber with various materials behind the face which isn't ideal for acoustics. Additionally, aluminium isn't know for its acoustics in general.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cliffy2020 said:

Aaron Wise called......  he’s looking for a DF tonight 

Ironically I am buddies with Casey Martin (Aarons college coach) and asked him to reach out to aaron just last week! Hopefully we hear from him. That said, I think the media on his 4 putt is being blown out of proportion. He hits putts HARD. I love that personally. Occasionally its gonna bite you but he made SO MANY kick a** putts that rattled the back of the hole all week. I've played a bit with him when he was at Oregon. He's one of the most tenacious players I have ever met. He used to play the whole teams best ball vs. him and he'd win more often than not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, labgolf said:

Ironically I am buddies with Casey Martin (Aarons college coach) and asked him to reach out to aaron just last week! Hopefully we hear from him. That said, I think the media on his 4 putt is being blown out of proportion. He hits putts HARD. I love that personally. Occasionally its gonna bite you but he made SO MANY kick a** putts that rattled the back of the hole all week. I've played a bit with him when he was at Oregon. He's one of the most tenacious players I have ever met. He used to play the whole teams best ball vs. him and he'd win more often than not.

A) the media blows everything out of proportion!

B) the media blows.... period!
C) I’m adopting the “if you putt anything hard enough, everything is straight” philosophy this year.  Didn’t have a single round in the 60s  or a round with less than 30 putts in 2020

D) I wish Aaron the best of luck!  Found it super annoying how hard they ragged on him for being rookie of the year 2018 and only 1 win 

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

On 3/20/2021 at 11:07 AM, QuigleyDU said:

I know new models are coming soon. Will have to see what they bring.

new models coming soon?  what inside source has provided this information?

Per @labgolf on page 46 of this thread replying to my post on March 2 asking about new models, "Nothing specifically in the works right now."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tenacious84 said:

new models coming soon?  what inside source has provided this information?

Per @labgolf on page 46 of this thread replying to my post on March 2 asking about new models, "Nothing specifically in the works right now."

Not going to name names, and I have no clue on release timelines. So I guess can be a relative term. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 3/22/2021 at 3:45 PM, Cliffy2020 said:

A) the media blows everything out of proportion!

B) the media blows.... period!
C) I’m adopting the “if you putt anything hard enough, everything is straight” philosophy this year.  Didn’t have a single round in the 60s  or a round with less than 30 putts in 2020

D) I wish Aaron the best of luck!  Found it super annoying how hard they ragged on him for being rookie of the year 2018 and only 1 win 

DF allowed me to putt more aggressively which is the number one reason I make more putts than I used to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@labgolf, what is with the new Accrua shafts being offered? What does your design with them make then so special?

• Thanks 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I did something I haven’t done in a long, long time the other day:  I ordered a putter, sight-unseen, and I didn’t even check GolfWRX for opinions. Not to mention it was several hundred dollars more than any other non-collectible putter in my history.

Nickel DF 2.1 w/ #11 dots (no line) and Stability Tour Black. Weirdest thing of all is the specs: 34” @ 65°!

Now that the order’s placed, obviously I find myself here. A quick read through several pages leads me to believe the overall consensus is that most people love them, but sound/feel is a bit contentious? Oh, and trial and error is a must... Duh. Also, really, really hope this thing isn’t replaced by a new model too soon... 🤞🏼

Edited by classick
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, classick said:

I did something I haven’t done in a long, long time the other day:  I ordered a putter, sight-unseen, and I didn’t even check GolfWRX for opinions. Not to mention it was several hundred dollars more than any other non-collectible putter in my history.

Nickel DF 2.1 w/ #11 dots (no line) and Stability Tour Black. Weirdest thing of all is the specs: 34” @ 65°!

Now that the order’s placed, obviously I find myself here. A quick read through several pages leads me to believe the overall consensus is that most people love them, but sound/feel is a bit contentious? Oh, and trial and error is a must... Duh. Also, really, really hope this thing isn’t replaced by a new model too soon... 🤞🏼

Believe me, I did find the thread after seeing some rave reviews online and it didn't keep me from ordering. Actually, it made me do it lol.

edit: I don't think the DF will ever be replaced, its the bread and butter (and fwiw the logo) of the company. They do seem to give it subtle upgrades over time though. 

Edited by Bunkersarebigcups
  • Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

8 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

@labgolf - with the T7 version of the DF 2.1, is there any benefit for the user with the weights now all in the head vs. powder in the shaft? i can see more swingweight flexibility, but wasn't sure if that changed the feel of the putter at all.

It changed the feel a bit for sure. Can't say it better or worse. Just different. It was mostly for us and ease of manufacturing. Now we are a few months into making them that way and it was put out a little too soon. They are indeed easier to make and also more flexible but WAY more expensive and time consuming to make. Always a work in progress!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

@labgolf, what is with the new Accrua shafts being offered? What does your design with them make then so special?

We were trying to accomplish much of the same tech  that some of these premium shafts (ie super stiff but sweet feeling) but for a much lower cost. They are super stiff but feel quite lively. It kicked my BGT out of the bag almost instantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, labgolf said:

It changed the feel a bit for sure. Can't say it better or worse. Just different. It was mostly for us and ease of manufacturing. Now we are a few months into making them that way and it was put out a little too soon. They are indeed easier to make and also more flexible but WAY more expensive and time consuming to make. Always a work in progress!

Makes it easier to change shafts as well without worry about having to reweight with powder. I know you guys don't recommend people changing shafts themselves, but there will always be guys like me that do things like that. I had a DF 2.1 original in the past and it was really hard to change the shaft (even to physically remove it). Don't ask me why i know this 😂

• Like 1