2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

On 5/6/2021 at 6:06 AM, analyticandrew said:

I had a DF 2.1 and recently gave it up. I have switched over to an Evnroll Midlock. Two reasons - first, I have the shakes a bit when I putt and I need something that gives me more stability - I didn't want to go full armlock yet. Second reason is that my biggest struggle has been three putts. I have always been pretty solid on my 10' an in putts (although I am looking for a couple training aids to help with some alignment, etc.) - but my lag putting has always struggled a bit. With the Evnroll, I find that my speed is unreal even on off-center hits. This has reduced the distance of my second putts (when I'm outside of 20') from what used to be an average of 3-4', down to 2'. This is a small sample size, but still worthwhile.

All of this said, I had a great L.A.B. experience with the brand and the putter. I recommend it to anyone that I can who is looking for something new. 

We can do wrist lock...just sayin...

On 5/8/2021 at 7:18 PM, spacetime said:

Sick of 3 putts. Selling all of my other putters but my old trusty Seemore FGP and ordered up a Custom DF2.1.  Having liked forward press prior to going to the Seemore and loving center shafted putters I think its going to be a good fit. 

You might look at a B.2. Similar profile to the FGP but with the L.A.B. tech

On 5/5/2021 at 9:52 AM, PingPoncho said:

How many of you have tried the Directed Force 2.1 and gave it your best shot but in the end left it for another putter?

Let's be honest.  This putter seems to get so much love that I have a hard time believing that all of you who bought it are still using it.

I can honestly say I have never been more confident in a purchase. 

I play public courses, and without fail every round on the first green someone remarks about what an interesting putter I have. I give the little elevator pitch, let them feel the weight of it, explain the science the best I can, then we carry on. Am I making everything, or has it actually made me a better putter? No, I think my green reading still leaves a lot to be desired as I tend to play quick and probably don't read them as thoroughly as I could.

I heard an interesting statement from Madeline Sagstrom, the LPGA golfer, on the No Laying Up podcast. She said she never hits a putt off line. If she misses a putt it's because of her speed or read. I thought that was interesting because since getting my 2.1, I have felt the exact same way. I know that every putt I hit starts on my intended line. Regular playing partners have told me that I have been putting better too, especially inside 6-8 feet.

Confidence is king and a LAB putter gives that feeling over every roll for sure!

• Like 4

Went back to old putters.  Not thrilled with the size of the DF. It doesn’t bother me at all down by the ball but it just takes up a ton of bag room.

Mine is an older Reno and I have considered moving it and picking up a 2-1. 

I originally put the Reno in the bag last spring and it didn’t make the cut as distance control was an issue. I waited until fall and used it exclusively until a few months ago.  I wanted to give it a fair chance.

The Reno Is a great putter. If I were making considerable more putts with it, I could get over the size and amount of room it takes up in the bag. That stated, it wasn’t so much better than other putters for me that it had to stay in the bag. It just doesn’t fix what’s wrong with me.

I believe in the tech. I had been considering the axis1 rose putter until I saw LAB’s video of “other” zero torque putters designs. Instead, I picked up an odyssey toe-up #7 backstyke. This putter has awesome feel but ..... not likely to make the bag. The toe-up feels great and moi is about right but it still doesn’t fix me.

Overall, putting had been poor thus far in 2021 (its me, not the putter).  As a result, I put my Seemore si5 in the bag. Stroke / alignment immediately improves with the rifle scope. This tech simply helps to fix “me”.

Forgiveness on off center hits with my seemores (si5 and si3) are just so-so. At times I look at the hole while putting on long putts for improved distance control so I don’t always strike the center of the face while look at the hole putting.  

For this reason, I am currently practicing with my si3 or si5 but gaming my ping ketsch. In a nut shell, the seemores help fix the issues that hurt my ability to putt more do than other putters. As a result, I am considering a more forgiving seemore. Just not sure which as I like mallet shapes. 

I do continue to wish DF would release a smaller version in mallet design similar to the ketsch / #7 / two ball / spider sized mallet putters with the same tech as the DF.

B2 just is not going to work for me.

Edited by Cwing
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

On 5/11/2021 at 11:51 AM, labgolf said:

You might look at a B.2. Similar profile to the FGP but with the L.A.B. tech

I’ve already ordered the Artist Formerly Known as Prince model. I’ve come to realize that I don’t hit a lot of lag putts off the center so the added forgiveness is welcome. Looking forward to it going in the bag.

• Like 1

35 putts yesterday, missed 9 putts from 8’ and in.  Ho-Hum 76.  Hit plenty of fairways, plenty of greens, had plenty of opportunities to score...  but didn’t.  

Added a perfect putter training aid to the mix to help match up line and speed during my practice sessions.  All putts are inside 12’ with varying degrees of break, uphill&downhill. It’s great. My practice and confidence was peaking.

on the course however, I played with my usual tentative dead weight speed that killed me last year.  My goal this year was to not leave any makeable putt short.  Although I did make the putts to the hole, I was reading the lines with 2’ beyond the cup speed.  Needless to say I missed all my putts low, peaking in the hole as they died a slow death.  It was painful.

All mental and will improve with time and play.  Of course I put a ridiculous amount of self pressure on a casual round with high expectations.  My bad

Silver lining:  I read 7/8 putts correctly, started the ball online 8/8 times.  With a little more speed 8/9 of those putts go in and I’m in the 60’s

• Like 2

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, erikro said:

Hi everyone,

This thread has me intrigued. I sent in my remote fitting video this afternoon. For others that have done the same how soon did you hear back and what was the response like? 

I heard back about 4 days later. Liam, who seems to be the one that responds, was out last week so he was catching up on everything. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, erikro said:

Hi everyone,

This thread has me intrigued. I sent in my remote fitting video this afternoon. For others that have done the same how soon did you hear back and what was the response like? 

During the week the response was the next day.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

14 hours ago, erikro said:

Hi everyone,

You should have it Monday at the latest. You can still place your order without it so that you can get a spot in the Queue. Just choose "not sure" for lie angle.

56 minutes ago, erikro said:

Other than looks is there an advantage from one model to the other? I assumed the DF would be more forgiving but after using both for a while today at a store I didn’t feel as if one was more forgiving than the other. 

I believe that the vast majority of people find the 2.1 the more forgiving, but there are those that simply prefer the B.2 putter. Putting is so personal so my advise is to try both if possible and see for yourself which one works best for you.

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Does anyone have any issue with speed control with the 2.1?  I have been playing it the past 3 months, and while the stroke feels very balanced and I feel that I can hit the line fairly consistently, I am leaving way more putts short than I should.  I think I struggle with the overall size and somehow in my mind that correlates to more weight and distance on putts.  I think it weighs much less than it looks if that makes sense.  This has troubled me to the point I think I will sell and move back to a more traditional putter.

20 minutes ago, smh1 said:

Does anyone have any issue with speed control with the 2.1?  I have been playing it the past 3 months, and while the stroke feels very balanced and I feel that I can hit the line fairly consistently, I am leaving way more putts short than I should.  I think I struggle with the overall size and somehow in my mind that correlates to more weight and distance on putts.  I think it weighs much less than it looks if that makes sense.  This has troubled me to the point I think I will sell and move back to a more traditional putter.

This was described multiple times on here and on other occasions. @labgolf and other users recommended controlling the distance by lenght of stroke rather than force.

That being said, distance control remains the only part of my putting that I am not happy with since using the DF 2.1. Ball comes out slower than on other putters for some reason.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

7 minutes ago, smh1 said:

So I wanted to “weigh in” on distance control. I was considering the 2.1. I went to PGA SS to demo it and actually liked it. My daughter was with me and bought one off the rack. So I went home and used her putter and did the online fitting. Lab responded - fit me into the exact putter my daughter bought (35” 69 degree lie). 

I go back to PGA SS and demo the 2.1, along with a variety of other putters. Anyway I ended up buying a Ping Fetch w/ adjustable grip set to 35”. This is replacing my Scotty Golo 7 that I have been using for 7 years. For me, the Ping was way better on distance control on long putts. And it is just as stable as the 2.1 on the shorter putts too. Maybe it's the face material, but the Ping has better feel on short and long putts. And this face balanced head seems to be extremely stable/forgiving.

Just to add, I am a high single digit hc and I consider putting one of my strengths.

Also this isn’t meant to discount the Lab, it’s a great club!

22 hours ago, erikro said:

Other than looks is there an advantage from one model to the other? I assumed the DF would be more forgiving but after using both for a while today at a store I didn’t feel as if one was more forgiving than the other. 

Putters are shipping about 4 weeks or less from order date. The DF is much more forgiving and the balance tech feels much more obvious with the DF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smh1 said:

email [email protected] we can help!

6 hours ago, TheBiles said:

These really have me intrigued, but I thought it was odd that I have to pay $150 to have the opportunity to pay another $150 for a custom shaft.  I'm all for paying the shaft upcharge, but I feel like the additional $150 just to put in a custom shaft is kind of pushing it.

I know. I did the custom and I feel like the custom charge should include some of if not most options. Why do I have to pay $25 for a custom sight line, $10 grip, etc on top of the $150? at least give me a discount if I chose the $0 options. 

I’d for sure have added a LAGP or Stability if the custom charge reduced the cost of the shaft by $100. My order was custom because I wanted blue and -.5” and one degree of lie from a stock model. Just don’t want to have any doubt in the back of my mind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spacetime said:

I know. I did the custom and I feel like the custom charge should include some of if not most options. Why do I have to pay $25 for a custom sight line, $10 grip, etc on top of the $150? at least give me a discount if I chose the $0 options. 

I’d for sure have added a LAGP or Stability if the custom charge reduced the cost of the shaft by $100. My order was custom because I wanted blue and -.5” and one degree of lie from a stock model. Just don’t want to have any doubt in the back of my mind.

Was exactly in the same boat, which is why I opted for a factory second putter. Not because of the lie, but because I wanted the blue very badly lol.

However, if I should ever have need of a new putter, because I change my stance or whatever, it will 100% be a DF 2.1 again and I would pay the upcharge for custom because the putter is that good and the blue is just sexy

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

22 hours ago, TheBiles said:

These really have me intrigued, but I thought it was odd that I have to pay $150 to have the opportunity to pay another $150 for a custom shaft.  I'm all for paying the shaft upcharge, but I feel like the additional $150 just to put in a custom shaft is kind of pushing it.

The difference is pre-made versus built from scratch. Hope that makes sense

My DF 2.1 broomstick finally arrived yesterday - a little over six weeks. I got to play 9 holes with it, so too soon to give a detailed review.

So far, I don't think I've found a sweet spot on it. Also, it feels waaaaay too flat of a lie angle despite being 79.5 degrees (possibly because it's 46.5 instead of the 48.5 inches in length I was using previously).  It occurred to me that my previous broomstick I set up with the heel off the ground because I held the putter so vertical and that doesn't work with the shape of this putter. Alignment-wise, it's great for aligning my green reads. Honestly, not sure why people make such a stink about its size and shape, it's not like it's too different from other "ugly" putters like the Spyder or various Scotty Camerons. Finally, I thought that zero-torque balanced meant the putter head would sit steady and not rotate regardless of how you held it (for example, when laying it on a countertop and the head is hanging over the edge), but it turns out the heel of the putter always wants to point down.

I'll be doing more practice with it today and hopefully give a better review.

Edited by JDCON
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, JDCON said:

My DF 2.1 broomstick finally arrived yesterday - a little over six weeks. I got to play 9 holes with it, so too soon to give a detailed review.

So far, I don't think I've found a sweet spot on it. Also, it feels waaaaay too flat of a lie angle despite being 79.5 degrees (possibly because it's 46.5 instead of the 48.5 inches in length I was using previously).  It occurred to me that my previous broomstick I set up with the heel off the ground because I held the putter so vertical and that doesn't work with the shape of this putter. Alignment-wise, it's great for aligning my green reads. Honestly, not sure why people make such a stink about its size and shape, it's not like it's too different from other "ugly" putters like the Spyder or various Scotty Camerons. Finally, I thought that zero-torque balanced meant the putter head would sit steady and not rotate regardless of how you held it (for example, when laying it on a countertop and the head is hanging over the edge), but it turns out the heel of the putter always wants to point down.

I was also baffled about the balance when lying on a table, but realised that this is because the putter Is balanced around its lie angle, so the zero torque only applies when the putter is flat on the ground. It took me a while but it makes sense. If it was perfectly balanced in any position, there would be no Need for the special weighting and balancing by hand

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

@labgolf I sent in a fitting request on Monday morning and placed an order that afternoon with "not sure" set for the lie angle.  Got a response on the order indicating the need to do a remote fitting, but still no feedback on the fitting itself.  Are you guys running a bit behind on the remote fitting responses?

19 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

@labgolf I sent in a fitting request on Monday morning and placed an order that afternoon with "not sure" set for the lie angle.  Got a response on the order indicating the need to do a remote fitting, but still no feedback on the fitting itself.  Are you guys running a bit behind on the remote fitting responses?

I sent my remote fitting in last Friday and haven’t heard back. I’m guessing this thread has created a lot of business.

• Like 1

Sounds like they are busier than usual right now. As I mentioned to Sam the other day... golfers are the most impatient people on the planet. That also includes myself. 😆

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 1:16 PM, JDCON said:

Welcome to the broomstick club! Love mine. The only issues I have with it is when I increase the grip pressure, it also increases my misses and decreases my speed control. When I hold it gently with the lower hand, it’s deadly. Good luck with yours!

• Like 1