2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

7 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

@labgolf I sent in a fitting request on Monday morning and placed an order that afternoon with "not sure" set for the lie angle.  Got a response on the order indicating the need to do a remote fitting, but still no feedback on the fitting itself.  Are you guys running a bit behind on the remote fitting responses?

So sorry! We had an email issue. You'll get a response soon!

Brief update on my DF 2.1 experience:

Short putts as good as usual, medium range putts (5-10 feet) is the best it has ever been. Its not like I make everything, but more than I ever hoped to make.

And now the biggie: I discovered why I have distance control issues and its stupid, lol.

I took my old putter to the putting green to compare the "feelings" because I thought, maybe I just dont hit the damn thing hard enough. Wrong. There are 2 things, I noticed:

1. My stance is wider than it used to be, probably because the ball has to be a lot further forward. That makes my putter ~0.5" too long, causing me to "pull up" during the stroke rather than let the arms and putter hang and rock the shoulders. I gripped down a little and voila -> No issues anymore

2. I did not get my old putter to the hole as well. Greens seem to be very slow atm, because of rain and fast growing of the grass. Played a round yesterday with freshly mown greens and I putted absolutely lights out. No joking, putts went in from everywhere.

So I am super stoked for the first comps of the year, I am shooting below my 14.7 index comfortably atm, averaging +12 for the last 5 rounds

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°

Srixon ZX Utility MKII 23°

PING i230 5-U, +1/2", 2°up
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I semi recently picked up a DF 2.1, I snagged a used one in my exact specs.  My initial thoughts were wow this thing is big, however it did not take much to any adjustment to get used to the putter.  I am around a 2.4 index and always have been a fairly good putter.  I have yet to play a full 18 holes with it, but so far I have played in 3 league nights with it.  I always joke with my competitors before the round with a "wait until you see my putter" lol.  I have played this exact league for nearly 3 years and this golf course a hundred or more times.  My experience so far has been truly amazing.  My iron game has been on point, I am used to only hitting around 44% or so of my greens but recently I am been only missing 1 or 2 a round so I would naturally expect my putting numbers to go way up...but they aren't.  I am making BOMBS...in the last 2 weeks I have done something I have never done..the last 2 weeks I have made 3 birdies in 9 holes...I even drained a huge eagle putt.  Not only that but at one point during my round I was 3 under...in my 35 years of life I have never been 3 under.  I was making everything...it wasn't until the very last hole that I missed my first GIR and missed my putt for par by inches.  The ONLY thing I have struggled with is speed control, I have to remember to not hit the putter nearly as hard as I normally would.  My best friend who I play in league with has been shocked by my performance.  I honestly thought this putter would be a joke and quickly on ebay...it's the real deal.

• Like 3

Mavrik Sub Zero 8* AD DI 6X

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Callaway Apex UW 17* AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex UT 2 iron  Smoke Black

Sub 70 TC raw 4-pw  KBS 120 Black
Taylormade Hi-Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

On 5/17/2021 at 8:15 PM, spacetime said:

I know. I did the custom and I feel like the custom charge should include some of if not most options. Why do I have to pay $25 for a custom sight line, $10 grip, etc on top of the $150? at least give me a discount if I chose the $0 options. 

I’d for sure have added a LAGP or Stability if the custom charge reduced the cost of the shaft by $100. My order was custom because I wanted blue and -.5” and one degree of lie from a stock model. Just don’t want to have any doubt in the back of my mind.

I agree. The only thing I want different from the stock options is the lie angle that I was recommended in my virtual fitting. If 64 degrees was a stock choice I would order today. I don’t think I should have to pay an extra $150 for what is essentially a lie adjustment. Oh and then shipping is extra. Am I missing something?

64 degrees sounds pretty far off standard options, so they would have to custom set up the milling machine to drill the shaft hole precisely.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:22 PM, erikro said:

I agree. The only thing I want different from the stock options is the lie angle that I was recommended in my virtual fitting. If 64 degrees was a stock choice I would order today. I don’t think I should have to pay an extra $150 for what is essentially a lie adjustment. Oh and then shipping is extra. Am I missing something?

I can see how looks like nothing to adjust the lie but the entire putter gets engineered differently to accommodate such a flat lie. Additionally, the idea for the stock stuff is that we can pre-build which in your case, we can't. For what is worth, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that can build a putter at 64°. you'll make your money back quick!

2 hours ago, labgolf said:

I can see how looks like nothing to adjust the lie but the entire putter gets engineered differently to accommodate such a flat lie. Additionally, the idea for the stock stuff is that we can pre-build which in your case, we can't. For what is worth, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that can build a putter at 64°. you'll make your money back quick!

Thank you for the response 

• Like 1

I don't know what it is with this putter but I've gone from averaging 32 putts a round to 38 in 6 rounds. I can't stop pushing putts with this thing. I have the 2.1 mallet. I've tried putting the ball more forward in my stance and no luck. 

Every single review I've seen is that people are just dropping putts like it's some kind of magic wand. I feel like I'm on an island going in the wrong direction. I did the remote fitting so I thought I was good to go. 

I've been gaming an odyssey tri hot from 20 years ago and figured it was time for an upgrade. It's definitely going back in the bag unless someone has some useful pointers.

On 5/24/2021 at 8:15 PM, jdub9300 said:

I don't know what it is with this putter but I've gone from averaging 32 putts a round to 38 in 6 rounds. I can't stop pushing putts with this thing. I have the 2.1 mallet. I've tried putting the ball more forward in my stance and no luck. 

Every single review I've seen is that people are just dropping putts like it's some kind of magic wand. I feel like I'm on an island going in the wrong direction. I did the remote fitting so I thought I was good to go. 

I've been gaming an odyssey tri hot from 20 years ago and figured it was time for an upgrade. It's definitely going back in the bag unless someone has some useful pointers.

Contact @labgolf. I’ve seen that people tend to grip too tightly coming from other models so I’ve seen it recommended that you practice putting with your thumbs not touching the grip. I’m still waiting on mine. So can’t offer any advice. Currently have major issues with my newly custom fit irons that this shouldn’t be a problem for me for a while. FML

On 5/25/2021 at 2:15 AM, jdub9300 said:

In addition to contacting L.A.B. golf, scout through this thread, as there are some real nuggets. I'll sum up the stuff that helped me to make the putter work.

1. Ball position with forward press. This is pretty much a requirement, check out this video by Bill Presse himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR4v6JcJsdc

2. Tempo/Force: Let the putter do the work. Try to engage the core muscles of your body and keep a very light grip pressure and tension. These drills (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJChv-w5I6U) might work well to remind you of this.

3. Longer stroke vs hitting harder for longer putts

4. Check-List at setup (especially when its not working)

a. Ball forward, shaft in center of stance

b. Forward press, just enough to lift the back of the putter slightly of the ground

c. Light grip pressure, let the arms hang naturally

When your setup is correct, the putter swings without feeling any resistance or what-not; use that to check on your setup and everything

Hope that helps

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 5/24/2021 at 5:15 PM, jdub9300 said:

If you are missing them all in the same direction, its actually a good thing. That means there is a singular reason why. VERY strong chance it is alignment. Either get a buddy or a chalk line to confirm that you are aimed where you think you are. The putter is working hard to go where you aim it so alignment is crucial. If that isn't the issue, hit us up at [email protected] and we can assist further.

5 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

In addition to contacting L.A.B. golf, scout through this thread, as there are some real nuggets. I'll sum up the stuff that helped me to make the putter work.

1. Ball position with forward press. This is pretty much a requirement, check out this video by Bill Presse himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR4v6JcJsdc

2. Tempo/Force: Let the putter do the work. Try to engage the core muscles of your body and keep a very light grip pressure and tension. These drills (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJChv-w5I6U) might work well to remind you of this.

3. Longer stroke vs hitting harder for longer putts

4. Check-List at setup (especially when its not working)

a. Ball forward, shaft in center of stance

b. Forward press, just enough to lift the back of the putter slightly of the ground

c. Light grip pressure, let the arms hang naturally

When your setup is correct, the putter swings without feeling any resistance or what-not; use that to check on your setup and everything

Hope that helps

Thinking about all these different things on the list above are why I went back to my old putter, putting has always been a strength.  I used my DF for the first few months of play and could not get comfortable with it, I was not putting poorly I was just not making anything out of the ordinary with it.  Distance control was hard to get a feel for long range with the putter being so large i felt like i kept decelerating thinking the ball was going to go too far.  Its a great putter and I will probably give it another go at some point, but I went back to my usual putter and have been shooting lower scores.

I never liked center shafted putters until my LAB 2.1 - The shape and size was easy to get over but the length of stroke required to get the ball to the hole on typical muni greens has proven difficult to overcome.  Add wind to the mix and it’s found a spot on the bench.  In practice, I roll putt after putt in. In reality, my 30+ year golf brain won’t allow me to swing the putter that long on the course. Sometimes on really long lag putts (50’+) I seriously feel like it’s a 9➡️3 stroke 🤣

For me, it’s a one way miss - SHORT - which is putting death.  The 30’+ are consistently (overly)short, but the real a**-kicker is the makeable 8’-15’ers miss low because a lack of speed even when I do get them to the hole (instead of the 2’ past speed I intend).  NOT the tool’s fault by any means. I will get to play some tour style courses this summer with super slick greens and possibly put the DF back in play, but until then she’s been benched.  

The DF2.1 has undoubtedly made me a better putter (technique-wise).  Softer hands, longer stroke, great tempo.  AND it has totally turned me on to CS putters in general.  

Sorry for the “it’s not you, it’s me” break-up post LOL.  I’m sure we’ll have course specific make-up sex all summer long! 👍🏼

Edited by Cliffy2020
Weird square emoji at end?
  • Like 1

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

On 5/26/2021 at 10:26 AM, zakkozuchowski said:

You can sign up for the L.A.B. Golf email list for a special offer.

Hi

Newbie type question -- just enrolled for newsletter and web site says 10% off on first order ... is there a time deadline to. place that order ... ?  I am undecided on a remote fitting or wait until November when I will be in Carlsbad for a live fitting ?

1 hour ago, GregGGH said:

Hi

Newbie type question -- just enrolled for newsletter and web site says 10% off on first order ... is there a time deadline to. place that order ... ?  I am undecided on a remote fitting or wait until November when I will be in Carlsbad for a live fitting ?

The promo is good for a while. The remote fitting is totally on point. Very easy and very accurate

14 hours ago, kerila07 said:

Thinking about all these different things on the list above are why I went back to my old putter, putting has always been a strength.  I used my DF for the first few months of play and could not get comfortable with it, I was not putting poorly I was just not making anything out of the ordinary with it.  Distance control was hard to get a feel for long range with the putter being so large i felt like i kept decelerating thinking the ball was going to go too far.  Its a great putter and I will probably give it another go at some point, but I went back to my usual putter and have been shooting lower scores.

Keep it around for a bit. I had to bench mine early on.

2 hours ago, Cliffy2020 said:

I never liked center shafted putters until my LAB 2.1 - The shape and size was easy to get over but the length of stroke required to get the ball to the hole on typical muni greens has proven difficult to overcome.  Add wind to the mix and it’s found a spot on the bench.  In practice, I roll putt after putt in. In reality, my 30+ year golf brain won’t allow me to swing the putter that long on the course. Sometimes on really long lag putts (50’+) I seriously feel like it’s a 9➡️3 stroke 🤣

For me, it’s a one way miss - SHORT - which is putting death.  The 30’+ are consistently (overly)short, but the real a**-kicker is the makeable 8’-15’ers miss low because a lack of speed even when I do get them to the hole (instead of the 2’ past speed I intend).  NOT the tool’s fault by any means. I will get to play some tour style courses this summer with super slick greens and possibly put the DF back in play, but until then she’s been benched.  

The DF2.1 has undoubtedly made me a better putter (technique-wise).  Softer hands, longer stroke, great tempo.  AND it has totally turned me on to CS putters in general.  

Sorry for the “it’s not you, it’s me” break-up post LOL.  I’m sure we’ll have course specific make-up sex all summer long! 👍🏼

How slow are the greens you play? Do you have an order number? I'd be curious to know the swing weight and total weight of your putter. It'll help us improve

Just picked up my DF 2.1 from the post office and immediately took her downstairs to the basement where I have a 9' putting mat. I was only able to try it out for about 15 minutes but it does feel amazing and sinking putts is so effortless. I've always had issues aligning the putter face square to the target line but the 1+28 custom alignment markings makes doing so so automatic... simply love it.

To be honest I was a bit nervous about the remote fitting recommended 74* lie angle. But like Sam and others have mentioned above, the remote fitting is very accurate and the putter sits squarely on the ground. Tomorrow I'll be taking it to the practice green and giving her a full workout and Sunday she'll be out on the golf course.

• Like 3
What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

9 hours ago, labgolf said:

How slow are the greens you play? Do you have an order number? I'd be curious to know the swing weight and total weight of your putter. It'll help us improve

Original putter head came loose.  Returned but unrepairable.  Agreed on a second putter with similar fitting numbers.  You graciously cut down and rebalanced a longer putter with different sight line.  Customer service & communication was great.  I don’t see an order number but have the email chain with Matt if it helps at all.  GREAT putter but I simply can’t get it to the hole with this particular weapon.  (Shot -2 for nine holes with her replacement). 

Local muni greens are 8-10 this time of year, get quicker mid summer with local championship courses running 12.  I’d be happy to send it in, tested, tuned up, pay what’evs, and retry because I believe in your product and company.  The putter is legit but just not dialed in for me. Reminds me of my old Cameron Futura that was pingy off the face and fell short due to its material and light feeling headweight. Worked great on fast greens but otherwise couldn’t make it to the hole in general.

PM me for more info if needed/wanted.  Thanks LAB 👍🏼

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

9 hours ago, Cliffy2020 said:

Original putter head came loose.  Returned but unrepairable.  Agreed on a second putter with similar fitting numbers.  You graciously cut down and rebalanced a longer putter with different sight line.  Customer service & communication was great.  I don’t see an order number but have the email chain with Matt if it helps at all.  GREAT putter but I simply can’t get it to the hole with this particular weapon.  (Shot -2 for nine holes with her replacement). 

Local muni greens are 8-10 this time of year, get quicker mid summer with local championship courses running 12.  I’d be happy to send it in, tested, tuned up, pay what’evs, and retry because I believe in your product and company.  The putter is legit but just not dialed in for me. Reminds me of my old Cameron Futura that was pingy off the face and fell short due to its material and light feeling headweight. Worked great on fast greens but otherwise couldn’t make it to the hole in general.

PM me for more info if needed/wanted.  Thanks LAB 👍🏼

I also putt very well with it on fast greens and so far struggle when they are slow.

Which is weird because it used to be the other way round for as long as I can remember 😅

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1