MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

Hi all, long time lurker on this thread, but first time poster. Thanks to all the positive feedback on this forum and other reviews, I am thinking about buying a custom DF, but wanted to know more about the shaft options. It looks like the Accra is new and built specifically for the LAB putters, but how does it compare in performance and feel to the BGT tour?

Sam previously in this thread said that the Accra was more lively, although Trey told me it was softer, and LAB's website does say the Accra is the softest feel. Does anyone have experience comparing the 2?

I went to the Accra website but couldn't see anything specifically on the LAB shaft and it looks like they make options both softer and firmer than steel, so am a bit confused. Personally, I prefer something not too soft/dead/marshmallowy off the face, like I always preferred a Surlyn cover to Balata for putting - for those guys who can remember that far back!

Also, for anyone who has imported to England, are there any additional import duties to pay, and if so what rate are they?

On 5/18/2021 at 4:16 PM, JDCON said:

My DF 2.1 broomstick finally arrived yesterday - a little over six weeks. I got to play 9 holes with it, so too soon to give a detailed review.

So far, I don't think I've found a sweet spot on it. Also, it feels waaaaay too flat of a lie angle despite being 79.5 degrees (possibly because it's 46.5 instead of the 48.5 inches in length I was using previously).  It occurred to me that my previous broomstick I set up with the heel off the ground because I held the putter so vertical and that doesn't work with the shape of this putter. Alignment-wise, it's great for aligning my green reads. Honestly, not sure why people make such a stink about its size and shape, it's not like it's too different from other "ugly" putters like the Spyder or various Scotty Camerons. Finally, I thought that zero-torque balanced meant the putter head would sit steady and not rotate regardless of how you held it (for example, when laying it on a countertop and the head is hanging over the edge), but it turns out the heel of the putter always wants to point down.

I'll be doing more practice with it today and hopefully give a better review.

Any other updates on this since getting your broomstick and some more time practicing with it?  Also, how did you determine your specs of 46.5" for length and 79.5 for lie?   How tall are you by the way?    

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

Lots of debate on here about how big and/or ugly the 2.1 is. The issue of looks is clearly an individual thing but when it comes to size it depends where you are starting from. Over the past decade or more most putter manufacturers have chased increasing levels of MOI. This in turn has led to the development of larger putters.

Moving away from the Anser style through mallets generally and on to the trend that Taylormade began with their Rossa and then various iterations of the Spyder. Interestingly the Spyder shape is now one that most manufacturers have copied, some so closely that you wonder about copyright!

Below is a comparison between my Daddylonglegs and the 2.1. Little in it and from a personal point of view I now prefer the 2.1. Also when we are talking about big putters lets not forget the size of the Scotty Cameron Futura. Not a shrinking violet.

Also, again a personal view, but on the green the actual size of it isn't a distraction

2.1 and Daddy.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Borntobogie said:

Lots of debate on here about how big and/or ugly the 2.1 is. The issue of looks is clearly an individual thing but when it comes to size it depends where you are starting from. Over the past decade or more most putter manufacturers have chased increasing levels of MOI. This in turn has led to the development of larger putters.

Moving away from the Anser style through mallets generally and on to the trend that Taylormade began with their Rossa and then various iterations of the Spyder. Interestingly the Spyder shape is now one that most manufacturers have copied, some so closely that you wonder about copyright!

Below is a comparison between my Daddylonglegs and the 2.1. Little in it and from a personal point of view I now prefer the 2.1. Also when we are talking about big putters lets not forget the size of the Scotty Cameron Futura. Not a shrinking violet.

Also, again a personal view, but on the green the actual size of it isn't a distraction

2.1 and Daddy.jpg

Could not agree more. I came from a slant neck blade, and the size was an issue for maybe the first 30mins on the practice green. And that probably only because everyone prepared me that I will hate it at first. Once I paid less attention and concentrated on putting (read: once I got on the course) size suddenly was a non-factor as has been ever since. The "Backstryke-esque" shaft insertion took me a little longer as it messed/messes with my head.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 6/4/2021 at 3:19 PM, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Any other updates on this since getting your broomstick and some more time practicing with it?  Also, how did you determine your specs of 46.5" for length and 79.5 for lie?   How tall are you by the way?    

Hey, I will get around to writing the review. Between my dad‘s funeral and class, I’ve been slammed. I am 5‘10“, and previously I was using a 48.75” putter, but always had an issue on bigger slopes because of the length. You can do a fitting following the instructions on their website, but as far as I’m concerned you need it as operate as possible with the long putter.

A preview for my review is you need to understand the lie angle balance. I finally found the sweet spot, and this putter will never leave my bag.

2 hours ago, JDCON said:

Hey, I will get around to writing the review. Between my dad‘s funeral and class, I’ve been slammed. I am 5‘10“, and previously I was using a 48.75” putter, but always had an issue on bigger slopes because of the length. You can do a fitting following the instructions on their website, but as far as I’m concerned you need it as operate as possible with the long putter.

A preview for my review is you need to understand the lie angle balance. I finally found the sweet spot, and this putter will never leave my bag.

No worries, family and school take precedence. Sorry to hear about your father.  Looking forward to your full review when you get some time, as we are the same height.  So, I think those specs will work for me as well.

PXG 0317 X

7 hours ago, C_rad said:

Anyone bought one and shipped it to canada?

Yes I've got one.

• Like 1
What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

@DownIn1 I wanted to actually try one out before buying so  I opted to get fitted in the UK and ordered through Joel Saunders at Verulam Golf Club. Not sure if that's an option for you? I think there are a couple of other fitters  in the UK. I would guess there would be import duties if you ordered direct.

I'm very happy with the putter.  While I've not used it in a round yet (due to injury) I had a putting lesson recently and my stats on Capto were massively improved from my previous putter. Can't wait to get on the course this weekend (fingers crossed).

8 hours ago, ianr said:

@DownIn1 I wanted to actually try one out before buying so  I opted to get fitted in the UK and ordered through Joel Saunders at Verulam Golf Club. Not sure if that's an option for you? I think there are a couple of other fitters  in the UK. I would guess there would be import duties if you ordered direct.

I'm very happy with the putter.  While I've not used it in a round yet (due to injury) I had a putting lesson recently and my stats on Capto were massively improved from my previous putter. Can't wait to get on the course this weekend (fingers crossed).

Thanks @ianr - yes, I also wanted to try one out first and found a place not too far away which had a few, so I could see the different head colours and also try out the grips. They did not have an adjustable one to take any measurements, but they had a 71* which I found too flat and a 73* which I found too upright, so the 72* seemed to be the Goldliocks angle!

Did you use a remote fitting instead/as well?

I found the grips a bit strange - I didn't like the OG - which just felt too flat - but the Press II 3* seemed to be OK for the reverse overlap grip I am now using (thanks to a recent lesson), and encouraged the hands to get under and be more passive.

I also tried the B2 - which felt much heavier than the DF to me - and meant I could really feel the B2 trying to keep its path; in fact, I was very surprised at just how light the DF felt. I liked the look of the B2, but it definitely wasn't as forgiving and I certainly need all the help I can get!

In the end, I ordered a DF yesterday through the fitters, because they had been helpful and I wasn't sure about the import duty. I did try a few other putters in the session, but Quintic showed me not only how poor a match my current (toe-hang) SC is for me, but also how well I was rolling the ball with the DF.

How long did it take for yours to arrive? I am sorry to hear about your injury, but good luck with it this weekend.

@Downin1 I just did the fitting, not the online one. It took around 6 weeks to get mine but it was over Christmas and LAB were  in  the  process of moving their production  facility. Hopefully it'll be shorter for you.

I had been thinking about moving to armlock but I'm glad I didn't. My golf coach said that the DF have done  everything an armlock would  have done in terms of improving stability - exactly as Sam Hahn from Labgolf had predicted in an  email exchange we had.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 7:19 PM, DownIn1 said:

Or shipped it to England? I am interested to know if there are any additional import duties, over and above the LAB shipping charge, and - if so - how much it was (percentage?) .

Mine is in the UK. No extra cost if you order it through Russ the pro at Broadway Golf in the Cotswolds. But be prepared for a possible delay for it to clear customs

Edited by Borntobogie

7 minutes ago, Borntobogie said:

Mine is in the UK. No extra cost if you order it through Russ the pro at Broadway Golf in the Cotswolds. But be prepared for a possible delay for it to clear customs

Thanks @Borntobogie - I have now ordered mine through my local fitter and agreed a price in £ to cover everything.

How long did yours take to ship? How long was the customs wait? Did you get it recently?

I knew from this thread that I would have to be patient!

What a week!

As you will have read earlier my putter arrived. Unfortunately there was an issue with it. The details are personal, and not important to anyone but me, but what is important is what transpired then.

I contacted Russ from Broadway Golf whom I bought it through and explained the issue. He asked to leave it with him and today I got a response that was absolutely fantastic. LAB have accepted the issue and are making a new putter for immediate dispatch. Not only that but there were also a whole raft of other things to compensate for the problem. Again the details are personal and not for publication but go far beyond how so many golf companies react to issues..

What is important is that for me a company is defined not just by its products or endorsements but by how it reacts when things go wrong. Here there was absolutely no discussion on apportioning blame or a half cocked 'offer'.  It was straight to first class customer service and I couldn't be happier.

To LAB Golf and Russ many thanks for the fantastic response which, as you can imagine, I'm very happy with.

I now hope to be able to shortly write a review on how well it performs.

Edited by Borntobogie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Borntobogie said:

What a week!

As you will have read earlier my putter arrived. Unfortunately there was an issue with it. The details are personal, and not important to anyone but me, but what is important is what transpired then.

I contacted Russ from Broadway Golf whom I bought it through and explained the issue. He asked to leave it with him and today I got a response that was absolutely fantastic. LAB have accepted the issue and are making a new putter for immediate dispatch. Not only that but there were also a whole raft of other things to compensate for the problem. Again the details are personal and not for publication but go far beyond how so many golf companies react to issues..

What is important is that for me a company is defined not just by its products or endorsements but by how it reacts when things go wrong. Here there was absolutely no discussion on apportioning blame or a half cocked 'offer'.  It was straight to first class customer service and I couldn't be happier.

To LAB Golf and Russ many thanks for the fantastic response which, as you can imagine, I'm very happy with.

It's good to hear that you are another satisfied customer... the bottom line is issues do occur but it's how they get resolved is what's important.

• Like 1
What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

1 hour ago, Borntobogie said:

What a week!

Sorry to hear about the problems, but glad you got a good solution - I look forward to your review.

I will also keep my fingers crossed that mine can go out in the same shipment!

• Like 1

Pretty happy so far with my 2.1 after a few months and about 10 rounds. Still not completely sold, however. My distance control with this putter is excellent. The high MOI makes long putts a breeze. It's also a lock inside of 3 feet. My problem is with the mid-range -- 4 ft to 15 ft -- because I have a very difficult time with aligning the 2.1. My eyes are always well behind the ball because the forward press grip doesn't lean enough to move hands and eyes over the ball. It just feels like my chest, hands, eyes, club face are all disconnected from each other. Because the putter is so forgiving, and because putting is a strength of mine, I am still able to make it work OK. But I still don't feel comfortable in the distance range where draining putts is key to scoring. 

I actually had better luck in that regard with with the B.2 blade, which is one of the easiest putters in the world to align (for me). But obviously it's less forgiving. Interested to hear others' thoughts about alignment and also any long-term reviews of B.2.

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

1 hour ago, ThinkingPlus said:

@labgolf is Tain Lee using a B2 at Congaree this week (PGA Tour)?

He is.  Wasn’t sure at first until I saw the grip.  Faldo and Finch tried talking about the different looking grip but clearly had no idea what it was.  I’m always amazed at how little they know about equipment that isn’t from one of the major companies. 

• Like 4

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Still love mine. I always get asked about it, especially if I'm dropping putts.

I really wish regular mallet headcovers fit it though. @labgolf Any plans to embrace the headcover culture and start offering some fun designs?

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

17 hours ago, golfgirlrobin said:

He is.  Wasn’t sure at first until I saw the grip.  Faldo and Finch tried talking about the different looking grip but clearly had no idea what it was.  I’m always amazed at how little they know about equipment that isn’t from one of the major companies. 

Ugh. I know. Their job is to talk so I don't blame them but one of these days imma get some cell numbers for those guys! Especially Finch. He is a full on putter guru and I would love for him to know what we are up to.

• Like 3

On 6/5/2021 at 9:55 PM, Sons_of_Pitches said:

No worries, family and school take precedence. Sorry to hear about your father.  Looking forward to your full review when you get some time, as we are the same height.  So, I think those specs will work for me as well.

Here is my review of my L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 Broomstick putter. This will get lost in this thread, but hope the few who find it will find it of use.

First, let’s start with the fit. There is no issue there. I’d recommend just going for the most upright lie angle you can get (79.5) for a broomstick. This is vital for the putter to work. More on that later. I also got mine at 46.5” (I’m a towering 5’10” tall).

Next, my putter arrived in a box that was mashed to hell. I was nervous at first since I paid over $800 for this putter. However, it was safe & sound inside the box.

The putter itself. This took me a little practice to get used to. You see, with my previous long putter, I held the putter at perpendicular to the ground. I didn’t realize the heel was off the ground, that’s just how I had put before. The old Dave Pelz rock your shoulders up and down with a vertical long putter. So, in the beginning, I couldn’t find the sweet spot on the putter! Turns out, it’s because I wasn’t stroking it on the lie angle. I struggled to get this DF 2.1 to work until I realized I had to set up with it soled and stroke it on the correct angle.

Once I figured out that you need to have the putter soled flat on the ground and stroke it on the lie angle, the stupid thing is automatic. Suddenly, it feels solid and you can’t miss when you line it up correctly. I chose alignment marker 28. For me, this was the best one for picking a spot on the green to be aligned to. Now, the only putts I miss are the ones I misread. Seriously. Lie angle balanced almost feels like more of a cheat than anchoring, long putters, or arm-lock putters. It’s that automatic once you figure out how to stroke the putter on the lie angle.

Are these putters expensive? Absolutely. Are they over-priced? Arguably. Will you be a better putter if you use them correctly? No doubt.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, JDCON said:

Here is my review of my L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 Broomstick putter. This will get lost in this thread, but hope the few who find it will find it of use.

First, let’s start with the fit. There is no issue there. I’d recommend just going for the most upright lie angle you can get (79.5) for a broomstick. This is vital for the putter to work. More on that later. I also got mine at 46.5” (I’m a towering 5’10” tall).

Next, my putter arrived in a box that was mashed to hell. I was nervous at first since I paid over $800 for this putter. However, it was safe & sound inside the box.

The putter itself. This took me a little practice to get used to. You see, with my previous long putter, I held the putter at perpendicular to the ground. I didn’t realize the heel was off the ground, that’s just how I had put before. The old Dave Pelz rock your shoulders up and down with a vertical long putter. So, in the beginning, I couldn’t find the sweet spot on the putter! Turns out, it’s because I wasn’t stroking it on the lie angle. I struggled to get this DF 2.1 to work until I realized I had to set up with it soled and stroke it on the correct angle.

Once I figured out that you need to have the putter soled flat on the ground and stroke it on the lie angle, the stupid thing is automatic. Suddenly, it feels solid and you can’t miss when you line it up correctly. I chose alignment marker 28. For me, this was the best one for picking a spot on the green to be aligned to. Now, the only putts I miss are the ones I misread. Seriously. Lie angle balanced almost feels like more of a cheat than anchoring, long putters, or arm-lock putters. It’s that automatic once you figure out how to stroke the putter on the lie angle.

Are these putters expensive? Absolutely. Are they over-priced? Arguably. Will you be a better putter if you use them correctly? No doubt.

Thanks for the review.  Which grip did you end up going with?  SplitGrip or JumboMax

• Like 1

PXG 0317 X

On 6/13/2021 at 8:46 AM, labgolf said:

Ugh. I know. Their job is to talk so I don't blame them but one of these days imma get some cell numbers for those guys! Especially Finch. He is a full on putter guru and I would love for him to know what we are up to.

I heard Immelman refer to it as "old school" during Saturday's broadcast. So, I sent a tweet to him indicating that it was a LAB golf product and anything but "old school." Recommended he check out the tech. Turns out I got the wrong Immelman. It was Mark who said it, not Trevor- who I tweeted at. And Trevor was none too pleased. Said he never said that, it was probably his brother, and that he was familiar with the putter. Long story short, he asked me to delete the tweet, which I did after apologizing for getting my two "Immelmans" confused.  I maintain they sound quite alike.

• Like 1