2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

Short update to my DF 2.1 story:

I have the lag putting sorted out, it just took a while. I got twitchy a couple of times on short putts in the mean time but i can prevent that by having the correct setup with the arms hanging down very relaxed and the putter hovering slightly. I used the Down Under Board I just got to practice feeling stable in my lower half and have less tension in my upper body and it works quite nicely.

I am putting better than I ever have right now and its not the usual "everything goes in"-streak but a general improvement

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Had my first actual round with the DF 2.1 yesterday after 6 months of injury. Unsurprisingly I was a bit rusty and the front 9 wasn’t so good (3 putted 4 times!). And then, on the 9th green I relaxed and putted a nice arcing 25 footer. 

Amazing  how one shot can change a round. I comfortably 2 putted the next 2 holes and then sunk a 12ft par saver on the 12th. 

My next two holes my first putt was short but both times I managed to hole out from 4ft, something I’d have struggled with previously.  

On the 17th a 30 footer from off the fringe hit the flag leaving me a tap in. 

Finally on the 18th I had a 5ft putt to finish the round and in it went. 

21 putts for the front 9, 15 putts for the back 9. I also hit my best ever score for the back 9 (48). 

The key things that worked for me:

1) Relax the arms and wrists. 
2) Make sure I rock not rotate 

3) Make time to align the shots (I use a line on the ball)

4) centre the stance on where the shaft meets the putter head. 
5) Confidence. 

I need more work in my distance control but I managed to hole at least 5 putts I wouldn’t have done with my old putter. 

Funnily enough no-one commented on the look of the putter and it just looks normal to me now.

Us high handicappers need all the help we can get and on that score the DF 2.1 delivers. It will be in my bag for a long time (or until LAB release something even better!)

Edited by ianr
  • Like 2

So here we go with another initial review!

I started on the putting green (actually I started on the carpet but lets forget that!) and if I'm honest it was at best inconclusive. The issue is that, like the fitting, you are hitting repeatable putts and in reality the outcomes were little different to my previous putter. Also there is no pressure as nothing rests on the outcome.

Onto the course for a first round then. The first thing that surprised me was that non of the group felt the need to comment on it other than to ask what it was like (they all were aware of the price). Suddenly the pressure is on. You only get one chance on the green in a game and peer pressure kicks in. In all honesty it was a bit underwhelming, not helped by comments made (in fun) by the rest. My course has wicked greens with some big slopes and more subtle undulations. If you are on the wrong part of the green a 3 putt isn't unusual.

I came off slightly demoralised but a couple of Guinness's and some comments from a good friend made me think more about it.

Realistically a new putter, that is unlike any other, isn't going to hole the ball by itself it needs a little help. The first thing my pal commented on (after he had taken the money) was that my setup was toe up. I hadn't been aware of this so a bit of experimenting on the carpet enabled me to see that this closed the face and caused a pull. Not rocket science but not easy to spot during a game.

A second round saw an improvement but still not the success experienced during the fitting. Two things that did stand out were that 4 footers dropped easily (not always the case previously) Secondly that whilst my distance control wasn't great it was very consistent. All that it needs is calibrating to the greens.

Then came the breakthrough. I can't claim I came to it unaided as it was clearly somewhere in my mind. It was that in the setup the ball (putter face) needs to be forward of where you would normally have it. A bit of experimentation and it became clear that the point where the shaft enters the head is the focus point, not the face/ ball. Suddenly everything got better. Here it is 

Checking back through the LAB instruction videos I found the one that makes this crystal clear. Now things are improving quickly and I'm seeing the outcomes expected. The other point, just to reiterate it, is to make sure the head lies flat as it is designed to be. This is easy to feel on a mat but less so on grass especially if there is a slope. Also if you have trouble lining up the face square check out the video hitting two balls together, good practice tip.

There are literally hundreds of reviews out there but too many focus on price, size and the reviewers ability to hole everything.

My suggestion is that LAB organise their instruction videos into a logical series so that when you get the putter you can follow a clear and progressive programme to get you away from what you did with previous putters and what you need to do with the 2.1

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Borntobogie said:

So here we go with another initial review!

I started on the putting green (actually I started on the carpet but lets forget that!) and if I'm honest it was at best inconclusive. The issue is that, like the fitting, you are hitting repeatable putts and in reality the outcomes were little different to my previous putter. Also there is no pressure as nothing rests on the outcome.

Onto the course for a first round then. The first thing that surprised me was that non of the group felt the need to comment on it other than to ask what it was like (they all were aware of the price). Suddenly the pressure is on. You only get one chance on the green in a game and peer pressure kicks in. In all honesty it was a bit underwhelming, not helped by comments made (in fun) by the rest. My course has wicked greens with some big slopes and more subtle undulations. If you are on the wrong part of the green a 3 putt isn't unusual.

I came off slightly demoralised but a couple of Guinness's and some comments from a good friend made me think more about it.

Realistically a new putter, that is unlike any other, isn't going to hole the ball by itself it needs a little help. The first thing my pal commented on (after he had taken the money) was that my setup was toe up. I hadn't been aware of this so a bit of experimenting on the carpet enabled me to see that this closed the face and caused a pull. Not rocket science but not easy to spot during a game.

A second round saw an improvement but still not the success experienced during the fitting. Two things that did stand out were that 4 footers dropped easily (not always the case previously) Secondly that whilst my distance control wasn't great it was very consistent. All that it needs is calibrating to the greens.

Then came the breakthrough. I can't claim I came to it unaided as it was clearly somewhere in my mind. It was that in the setup the ball (putter face) needs to be forward of where you would normally have it. A bit of experimentation and it became clear that the point where the shaft enters the head is the focus point, not the face/ ball. Suddenly everything got better. Here it is 

Checking back through the LAB instruction videos I found the one that makes this crystal clear. Now things are improving quickly and I'm seeing the outcomes expected. The other point, just to reiterate it, is to make sure the head lies flat as it is designed to be. This is easy to feel on a mat but less so on grass especially if there is a slope. Also if you have trouble lining up the face square check out the video hitting two balls together, good practice tip.

There are literally hundreds of reviews out there but too many focus on price, size and the reviewers ability to hole everything.

My suggestion is that LAB organise their instruction videos into a logical series so that when you get the putter you can follow a clear and progressive programme to get you away from what you did with previous putters and what you need to do with the 2.1

Hope this helps

That was a super quick turnaround - I am glad you got you got it so soon, and thanks for the review, @Borntobogie!

Kudos to your friend for spotting (and telling you!) the issue; the 1-ball drill [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL8djXYcc40] looks to be good for ensuring you are soled correctly on the putting green.

If you tend to have the toe up, do you think that the remote fitting - which iirc was 69.5*, rather than 72* - was more accurate, or were you maybe not implementing the lesson you got at the dynamic fitting?

Hope the putting continues to improve!

1 hour ago, DownIn1 said:

That was a super quick turnaround - I am glad you got you got it so soon, and thanks for the review, @Borntobogie!

Kudos to your friend for spotting (and telling you!) the issue; the 1-ball drill [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL8djXYcc40] looks to be good for ensuring you are soled correctly on the putting green.

If you tend to have the toe up, do you think that the remote fitting - which iirc was 69.5*, rather than 72* - was more accurate, or were you maybe not implementing the lesson you got at the dynamic fitting?

Hope the putting continues to improve!

Hi

Thanks for the reply. The 72* makes me stand better. With the Daddylonglegs with the 38" counterbalance grip I was getting lower and lower on the grip and I suspect amongst other things this was leading to toe up on that although it wasn't noticeable until I had the fitting. The one ball exercise is Ok on the mat but not quite so good on grass. 

5 hours ago, ianr said:

Had my first actual round with the DF 2.1 yesterday after 6 months of injury. Unsurprisingly I was a bit rusty and the front 9 wasn’t so good (3 putted 4 times!). And then, on the 9th green I relaxed and putted a nice arcing 25 footer. 

Amazing  how one shot can change a round. I comfortably 2 putted the next 2 holes and then sunk a 12ft par saver on the 12th. 

My next two holes my first putt was short but both times I managed to hole out from 4ft, something I’d have struggled with previously.  

On the 17th a 30 footer from off the fringe hit the flag leaving me a tap in. 

Finally on the 18th I had a 5ft putt to finish the round and in it went. 

21 putts for the front 9, 15 putts for the back 9. I also hit my best ever score for the back 9 (48). 

The key things that worked for me:

1) Relax the arms and wrists. 
2) Make sure I rock not rotate 

3) Make time to align the shots (I use a line on the ball)

4) centre the stance on where the shaft meets the putter head. 
5) Confidence. 

I need more work in my distance control but I managed to hole at least 5 putts I wouldn’t have done with my old putter. 

Funnily enough no-one commented on the look of the putter and it just looks normal to me now.

Us high handicappers need all the help we can get and on that score the DF 2.1 delivers. It will be in my bag for a long time (or until LAB release something even better!)

Congrats @ianr on a super round after such a long layoff - that is great putting on the back 9. I suspect Confidence should have been in at #1!

Hope the improvement continues and you get a best ever on the whole 18!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, labgolf said:

Should be negligible. Do you have access to a revealer?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but either adding or removing mass symmetrically about the shaft (lie axis) shouldn't affect the torque balancing of the putter.  So if you had two axi-symmetric grips (round) of different mass, the only change in putter feel/performance would be swing weight, but near net zero torque about the shaft would remain the same.

Have been absolutely LOVING my 2.1 so far. I have never been more confident standing over putts 10 feet and in.

I have a question about potentially installing a wrist lock grip. My 2.1 was not fit to me as I bought it used. I was remote fitted for a 34 inch one but bought this 35 inch one and just grip down slightly to make it work (I know it’s not ideal but still works!). My question is would that extra inch of length on the putter throw off the contact point of the wrist lock on my lead arm, or could I get my local equipment guy to install the grip in a way that the lock hits my wrist in the right spot?

40 and 43 putts my first two rounds. Granted the holes have been cut on some really messed up side hills and the greens have been slicker than what I’m used to. 

The ball is rolling so true it’s crazy. Unfortunately it doesn’t stop on downhill putts. I don’t think I like the double L alignment guess I’m stuck with that. 

I found when I use the line on the ball for  mid length and short putts I’m making them. 

worked on speed for about an hour after my last round. Nothing seems to drop unfortunately. Getting close but not making them in buckets just yet. 

On 6/15/2021 at 8:20 AM, ThinkingPlus said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but either adding or removing mass symmetrically about the shaft (lie axis) shouldn't affect the torque balancing of the putter.  So if you had two axi-symmetric grips (round) of different mass, the only change in putter feel/performance would be swing weight, but near net zero torque about the shaft would remain the same.

you are mostly correct but our grips are not on axis. Additionally, where the weight is in relation to the x axis has an impact

On 6/15/2021 at 10:20 AM, ThinkingPlus said:

I thought this too.  I think I'm struggling due to the weight change.  Its like swinging a log with a boulder on the end of it.

Edited by TheMagicStinger

16 hours ago, NickPL said:

Have been absolutely LOVING my 2.1 so far. I have never been more confident standing over putts 10 feet and in.

I have a question about potentially installing a wrist lock grip. My 2.1 was not fit to me as I bought it used. I was remote fitted for a 34 inch one but bought this 35 inch one and just grip down slightly to make it work (I know it’s not ideal but still works!). My question is would that extra inch of length on the putter throw off the contact point of the wrist lock on my lead arm, or could I get my local equipment guy to install the grip in a way that the lock hits my wrist in the right spot?

The bigger issue you'll run into is loft. With the wrist lock method, most deloft the putter a bit and you may be driving the ball into the ground. If you play on fast first greens, this will not be much of an issue.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spacetime said:

40 and 43 putts my first two rounds. Granted the holes have been cut on some really messed up side hills and the greens have been slicker than what I’m used to. 

The ball is rolling so true it’s crazy. Unfortunately it doesn’t stop on downhill putts. I don’t think I like the double L alignment guess I’m stuck with that. 

I found when I use the line on the ball for  mid length and short putts I’m making them. 

worked on speed for about an hour after my last round. Nothing seems to drop unfortunately. Getting close but not making them in buckets just yet. 

Give it some time. A hangover period is very common

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, labgolf said:

you are mostly correct but our grips are not on axis. Additionally, where the weight is in relation to the x axis has an impact

Absolutely.  Press Grips are a completely different animal.  Mass distribution is not symmetric about the shaft axis.  What axis is x?  Target line?

Second round with the DF2.1 today. 34 putts with 2 further putts I left just short but on the right line. I'm starting to get more confident with putts from 8-12ft now and my lag putting was great on some 30-50 footers.

I use Shotscope to track my rounds. They has recently introduced  strokes gained and it's saying that my putting SG has moved from -9.97 (against a tour pro) pre DF2.1 to -4.45 and -3.69 for the two rounds with the DF2.1. And there was still scope for a further 4  shots I should have had (the 2 that stopped short on the lips of the holes, and 2 where I 3 putted). Those 4 "lost" shots were due to distance control issues rather than alignment meaning that the ball is going on the target line I set and the putter is doing it's job as advertised.

Maybe this is the honeymoon period that some users have talked about but I'm over the moon with the results. It's amazing the confidence that it gives so that now, when I'm lining up for a 10ft putt, which I'd never have expected to hole before, I'm thinking I've got a good chance of making it. 

I just wish the rest of my game was better.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ianr said:

Second round with the DF2.1 today. 34 putts with 2 further putts I left just short but on the right line. I'm starting to get more confident with putts from 8-12ft now and my lag putting was great on some 30-50 footers.

I use Shotscope to track my rounds. They has recently introduced  strokes gained and it's saying that my putting SG has moved from -9.97 (against a tour pro) pre DF2.1 to -4.45 and -3.69 for the two rounds with the DF2.1. And there was still scope for a further 4  shots I should have had (the 2 that stopped short on the lips of the holes, and 2 where I 3 putted). Those 4 "lost" shots were due to distance control issues rather than alignment meaning that the ball is going on the target line I set and the putter is doing it's job as advertised.

Maybe this is the honeymoon period that some users have talked about but I'm over the moon with the results. It's amazing the confidence that it gives so that now, when I'm lining up for a 10ft putt, which I'd never have expected to hole before, I'm thinking I've got a good chance of making it. 

Just hang on when the honeymoon is over. I did have about 5-6 rounds with bad putting when old (=bad) habits kept creeping back into my putting

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Thanks for the response @labgolf! Guess my last question would be is if the grip can be switched out without damaging it and, if so, is it similar to removing any other putter grip? I want to experiment with the wrist lock but want to be able to switch back quickly if it doesn’t workout. Tried find info on this from earlier posts but had no luck. 

Edited by NickPL
Clarity

On 6/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, NickPL said:

Thanks for the response @labgolf! Guess my last question would be is if the grip can be switched out without damaging it and, if so, is it similar to removing any other putter grip? I want to experiment with the wrist lock but want to be able to switch back quickly if it doesn’t workout. Tried find info on this from earlier posts but had no luck. 

Yep, same as any other grip. Super easy cheap experiment!

• Like 1

I believe I am close to buying a DF 2.1 with a 72* lie and 35”. I prefer a smaller putter grip.  Is the Press 1.L the same size as the OG grip?  I was fitted with that grip and liked the size. I currently use a Superstroke 1.0 Tour and and used to that diameter with my claw grip.  

On 6/16/2021 at 9:15 PM, ianr said:

Still learning, but getting to grips with it. As per my previous post the big step for me was the shaft centre alignment point to the centre of stance. Last round I 2 putted 16 holes, 3 putted one and 1 putted one. This is actually underselling what it means as my course has many greens where the slope can reach 4* using Aimpoint. This means that if you are side on to the hole that unless it goes in it will roll anything up to 8ft below the hole. Where the DF came into its own when this happened was that the ball was below the hole and generally near the 'fall line' so it was a fairly straight putt and I made all but 1 of the second putts.

The other thing that I'm coming to terms with is losing decades of putting thoughts. I don't want to give a log explanation but generally we manipulate putts to eradicate something. As an example on SAM Lab my putter stroke rather than an arc is 'S' shaped ie it curves backward on the back stroke but outwards after impact. This is something my brain has worked out to cancel out an alignment issue (pros analysis not mine)

What I have found with the 2.1 is that you putt so much better when you don't try to 'manage' the putter. Can't really explain it further other than you need to let it do its own thing rather than try to determine its path. 

Hope this helps!

30 minutes ago, Borntobogie said:

Still learning, but getting to grips with it. As per my previous post the big step for me was the shaft centre alignment point to the centre of stance. Last round I 2 putted 16 holes, 3 putted one and 1 putted one. This is actually underselling what it means as my course has many greens where the slope can reach 4* using Aimpoint. This means that if you are side on to the hole that unless it goes in it will roll anything up to 8ft below the hole. Where the DF came into its own when this happened was that the ball was below the hole and generally near the 'fall line' so it was a fairly straight putt and I made all but 1 of the second putts.

The other thing that I'm coming to terms with is losing decades of putting thoughts. I don't want to give a log explanation but generally we manipulate putts to eradicate something. As an example on SAM Lab my putter stroke rather than an arc is 'S' shaped ie it curves backward on the back stroke but outwards after impact. This is something my brain has worked out to cancel out an alignment issue (pros analysis not mine)

What I have found with the 2.1 is that you putt so much better when you don't try to 'manage' the putter. Can't really explain it further other than you need to let it do its own thing rather than try to determine its path. 

Hope this helps!

Was your previous putter face balanced?  I ask because someone who needs a little arc in their stroke, like me, will shut a face balanced putter on the backswing, and open it on the forward swing.  Particularly a bigger mallet with plenty of MOI.

I often left putts short and right because of this movement pattern and it looked kind of like your S-shaped description. Mine was often so pronounced that I shoved my putter head right at the end of the stroke!

I've played with my 2.1 ~10 rounds.  The weather was terrible when I first got it.  Here are current thoughts.  I like the putter and do think it is a good putter.  For me, I find it to be  much better putter on faster greens.  I have a lot harder time on slower greens with the 2.1 and feel like I have to take a very big stroke.  I've putted really well at times with this putter.  My last few rounds I've putted pretty poorly.  In the setup like others have mentioned in this long thread make sure not to get the ball too far back in your stance.  Like any putter you have to put in the work and it isn't a magic putter.  It is a really good putter though.  

On 6/18/2021 at 11:31 PM, Clemsonfan said:

I believe I am close to buying a DF 2.1 with a 72* lie and 35”. I prefer a smaller putter grip.  Is the Press 1.L the same size as the OG grip?  I was fitted with that grip and liked the size. I currently use a Superstroke 1.0 Tour and and used to that diameter with my claw grip.  

I asked that same question some time back and labgolf answered that the 1.L  is much bigger than the OG. Why dont you go with OG if you liked it?

You might also be able to order it with a Press II 1.5 which is a different shape but also a little smaller

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

22 hours ago, Clemsonfan said:

Was your previous putter face balanced?  I ask because someone who needs a little arc in their stroke, like me, will shut a face balanced putter on the backswing, and open it on the forward swing.  Particularly a bigger mallet with plenty of MOI.

I often left putts short and right because of this movement pattern and it looked kind of like your S-shaped description. Mine was often so pronounced that I shoved my putter head right at the end of the stroke!

Yea it was (is) a Daddylonglegs. Great putter and when I first got it almost magic but that wore off. The 'cure' is a practice drill with two tees just wider than the putter head and the ball between them. Put a third tee about 4" in front of the outside one. This will show when you are not keeping the putter on line as you will hit it. Also hold the end of the putting stroke and see it it is facing the hole. No such issues with the DF if you let it work

Cheerz

3 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

I asked that same question some time back and labgolf answered that the 1.L  is much bigger than the OG. Why dont you go with OG if you liked it?

You might also be able to order it with a Press II 1.5 which is a different shape but also a little smaller

I read the entire thread and recalled your question and answer. I was a little confused about the description as a replacement to the OG.  Thanks for clarifying. 

Mr. Short Game, in his YouTube review, also switched to the 1.5 for the size.  I was concerned this would reduce the effectiveness of the 2.1 technology, or worse, counteract it.

Thanks for the suggestion.