2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

TheMagicStinger, you said "...I'm putting great but I I'm inches from having a lot more one putts." Are you missing these by inches on the high side?

• Like 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

I had tried center shafted putters before but never used one for a long time. For me the change at address was minor, I moved the ball slightly forward in my stance, its basically between my big toe and 2nd toe. Another check I will do to make sure my ball position is correct is I watch where the shaft is in my stance. I want the shaft (where it enters the head of the putter) to be in the middle of my stance. The onset head makes the setup adjustment easy and I don't really think about this putter being center shafted, it just seems different than any other center shafted putter

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

Good to know thanks, I naturally set the ball forward in my stance in general. I'm a lefty but right eye dominant so if I set the ball center of my stance it's almost like I'm hitting the ball behind me.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

This. I got one off someone here as I have been putting much better since I went to a mallet earlier this year. I rarely 3 putt but I tend to barely miss birdie and par saves at times and my miss is usually left. I got it a few weeks ago and it’s a little bigger than my EXO 7. I had great feel on long putts with the EXO 7 and insert.

tried it on my indoor putting mat and took a while to get used to the size and feel. Took it out on the course a couple weeks ago and lag putts were a big problem. Couldn’t hit them hard enough, especially when it was a multi tiered green. I played my 3rd round with this putter and each time I’m getting more and more used to it. Size is not an issue anymore and I putted great today (except one on the fringe). I usually chip but decided to try and putt today and blew it past. The greens were rolling quick today as they have a tournament tomorrow and started double rolling.

anyway, back to playing less break. I finally started getting it around the last few holes today. I’ve been playing what I think is my normal break with my EXO and on the last few holes I played about half of what I thought and the ball just holds its line. Lag on long putts is still ongoing but getting better each time I play. Also took me a while to get used to playing it as far forward as is recommended. I have a naturally smooth stroke. I try and do a straight back and straight through and sometimes I actually go outside and then come back. with the EXO this caused a lot of missed lines but with the 2.1 as long as it’s not too much, the ball holds its line. Now I’m more confident in the line I select and I am not worrying as much about the take away and just concentrating on the speed and feel. Mine has the T shape with a single line and I think I would like to get the 3 lines as i like the look of how it frames the ball in the EXO (it doesn’t have 3 lines but with the fang type shape it looks like it).

I did get a few comments from friends the first round I played with it but once I started making all my short putts they stopped saying anything. Today, no one said anything as I was either making putts or my speed was good for tap ins.

live tried multiple mallets this year (Odyssey 7, Exo 7, Marksman, Toulon Las Vegas and a variety of EXO’s with the stroke lab). Again I’ve never putted better since switching to the mallets this year but the 2.1 Reno is now firmly in the bag and I’ve given my gamer EXO to my son who is going to play for his HS team thus Spring. Once I get a better feel with more rounds on longer putts and I know next year will be the best putting year I’ve had.

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

For the lag putts try to focus on a longer stroke not harder stroke. For me keeping my tempo smooth and just lengthening by stroke made a huge difference. The putter is heavy but you don't notice it because of the lie angle balancing so let the putter do the work with a longer stroke.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

@labgolf @granata10 @SwingBlues
I played my first round with the Reno2.1. It was also the first time I putted with it outdoors.
Keep in mind, I'm used to heavy mallet putters and our greens were a bit hairy and somewhat damp so they weren't running very quickly. I putted lights out. More of the same from other reviewers in terms of speed control on long putts... I left a few shorter than I expected but again, greens were slower than normal. My first 5-6 holes or so, I had medium range putts, maybe 18 - 20' on avg. ALL of them were on the right line and I holed 2 of them. The other 3 or 4 were tracking the hole but just came up short.
Later in the round, I had a couple of long putts of 40-50' or more and got my speed down pretty well. Putts held their line very very well. Both had a very good chance of going in. One came up probably a foot short and the other was within a cup missed by probably 3-4" outside and left me a 2' tap in.
I did 3 put one hole in the middle of the round. It was a par 5 with a tiered green. Front tier is the bottom tier. Flag was in the very back. I hit it in 2 and got the 1st putt to the top tier but still had probably 12' or so and missed it.
I don't know if anyone has read Zen Golf or Zen Putting (I recommend both) but the number one thing I always remember is that you can't get upset with a missed putt if you hit it on the line you wanted with the speed you wanted and put a good swing on it. Putting would be a lot easier if every putt that you hit right went in but that's not the case, even for the best putters. With that in mind, I was pleased with all but one or two putts yesterday.
I only missed one within 10' or so and it was a 5 footer that I just got quick on my tempo and pulled a touch.
The Reno2.1 really does make putting A LOT easier in my opinion.
  • Like 1

@chetterchez - outstanding! Great review. Not sure if you have the Stability shaft or not but its a worth while investment in the future if you don't. Also, suggest you try the toe and heel side putting with the Reno, it's super stable for a stroke that is never meant to be stable. I've had great success with this on the side hill curlers where speed control is key. Also, the rear flange is shaped as it is for training as well. Check out Bill's youtube training videos on the 1 and 2 ball drills - that really helps with stroking and striking the ball correctly. On the negative side, it can get frustrating especially with the 1 ball drill, to keep it centered but persevere with it.
Speaking of pain, atm I am playing with a Putt Out and thats really test the patience and direction control. But very addictive as well. Even those short "automatic" putts are not so automatic with the Putt Out trainer.
Keep us updated & good stuff!

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I'll have to try the off the toe and off the heel putts for downhill sidewinders for sure. Do you find either heel or toe is easier overall or one is easier then the other for left breakers vs right breakers? Funny you mentioned the PuttOut. I have the PuttOut mat and ball catcher/returner in my office and that's what I typically putt on throughout the day.

Good question, I had to think about that one. The toe side which I use for the downhill left breakers is mentally easier for me. I have the original sight lines and the length of the face and alignment lines just fits perfectly with the ball. Mind you, last week I drained a nice 12 footer downhiller with the heel putting for a great bird on the course's #1 green.

I remember trying the toe/heel putting with my Odyssey 2 balls and the 7H and it never quite fit my eyes visual as to where the ball sat.

Contrast this to the center shafting of the Reno makes both toe and heel putting easier as it does not feel "bias" as you would get with my heel shafted putters.

If I think about it, the Reno size while "big" is really well thought out and designed. Yeah, i bitch to BillPIV about the size and wanting a smaller head but in this instance, the current size is perfect...*slap myself on the back of the head*

Putt Out is definitely

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Good stuff.

I don’t have the Stability shaft in mine currently but definitely not opposed.

I saw the one and two ball drills the other day and tried them both. By sheer luck, they were both fairly easy for me. I guess it was just the weight and “spring” of my precious putter, the 2 ball fang.

Honestly, i can’t imagine trying to hit a toe or heel putt even semi-confidently with any putter in the past.

I wasn’t an elected Reno2.1 tester. No sour grapes, I wasn’t much of a poster on here until I got my Reno from the classified. I checked in on reviews but wasn’t active per say. So even more of a testament to the Reno2.1

Just thinking about it, I feel like toe putts would serve me better visually in a putt breaking either direction. But that’s just me.

I’ll definitely give it a try next time I play.

If you have made this your gamer, you should update your "What's-In-The-Bag" listing.

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

Snell - MTB  Black

Been trying the putter out for the last week.

Really is smooth going back and if you're a SBST putter (as I am) this is very important.

Distance control is very consistent as well but I just don't seem to be finding the sweet spot often enough and that is disturbing. Doesn't seem like there's as much forgiveness in the putter as there is in say the Spider-X (among others).

I'll keep trying it for a while though.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Sorry to hear its not going as well as it could. Couple thoughts: first, the putter is designed and balanced to stay square to the arc, not the target. Personally, when I think straight back, straight through, this usually requires hooding the face on the way back and opening it through impact. This is a perfectly good way to putt but doesn't necessarily make the best use of the technology. Secondly, the putter is actually remarkably consistent across the face. One of my favorite things about it. If you feel you are losing speed on off center hits, there is a very good chance you are hitting down on the putter. Try a couple things. First, move the ball up a touch in your stance. Second, grip the putter very light and approach the motion as though you are just going to swing the head where ever it wants to go. Just swing it long and let it do its thing. Let us know if that helps you find the center and enjoy the forgiveness a little more. Thanks for giving it a go!

I love that the comments on this thread are NOT "oh this thing is butter, so cool looking", or "Love the sound" or any other arbitrary commentary. Instead people are writing, "I am not three putting", "My scores are lower", "I am making more putts than I ever have", "feels like I can;t miss inside 6 feet". The science is real and I really appreciate all of you testers approaching this with an open mind. So glad all of you are enjoying it!

I'm not SBST,but no issues for me. I've found I can hit it pretty much anywhere on the face. The feel and sound may be different but I still get a good roll. Off the heal seems to come off a little slower/shorter. I haven't played with around with many high MOI putters but can't imagine forgiveness with the 2.1 being an issue for most. As Sam said, I think it probably has more to do with setting up properly.

The only issue that still gets me is at times is playing less break.

I used a directed force putter for a while. It was good adn the performance was there. I stopped using it for a few reasons. I would love something a bit more traditional shaped. I know you hve the blad putter, but I do not like center shafted putters and it looks almost exactly like a seemore putter. I did love the og grip shape though. It was the best.

I would love to see if you could come up with something a bit more traditional looking with your zero torque idea and with a heel shafted putter shaft of some kind. Just one mans wish.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I just don't see how a heel shafter putter is ever going to be lie angle balanced, myself; without a large load of fairy dust. I'd putt with a block of cheese on the end of a broomstick if it would put the ball in the hole consistently -- I don't give a RIP what it looks like, if it WORKS !

Snell - MTB  Black

I am sure It can be done. There are heel shafted face balanced putters. I also understand the wish'iness of this vs. practicality. But hey its my wish...

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Isn't that what Edel does though with Torque balance? Heel shafted putters with milling in the back done a certain way so that when you applied force to the shaft (ie start of stroke) the face wouldn't want to swing open? Same thing when Odyssey did it. Neither are super popular. I even got fit for an Edel and ended up not even leaving the fitting with one.

Anybody seen any of those putters demonstrated in the "Revealer" ?

Snell - MTB  Black

Can't put a shaft in the heel and get the benefit of what we do. Axis one has SIMILAR tech and is heel shafted but the way they do it is a little funny looking too. Sort of a pick you poison situation. What we like about the way we do it with DF is that even though its center shafted, it doesn;t play that way since you can see the whole face. and by putting the shaft where we do, we get ultimate forgiveness/consistency across the face unlike our competitors who give up feel and ball speed consistency to reduce torque.