MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

How long does the online fitting take? Sent it in on Thursday but haven't heard back. I'm sure they are busy right now though.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

@SankacoffeeI heard back in about five (5) business days.

Edited by KensingtonPark

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9deg  Ventus TR Blue 6 S

Callaway  Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 7 S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 18 & 24 deg Ventus HB 8 S

Miura KM700 4-P Fujikura Axiom 105S

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52 deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

32.5" LAB Golf DF3 w/BGT Stability One Black | Pistol 2.0 Grip

Custom Vessel Lux Cart Bag

On 7/9/2021 at 12:16 PM, danglingangler said:

I bought a LAB DF 2.1 with the stability shaft off of a 2nd hand website. The putter came at 36" in length and 70* lie. I hadn't quite found a rhythm with it yet so I went to my local club champion to get fitted. SAM suggested that I need to play a putter at 35" in length and 66* lie.

Does anyone know if I can send my putter to LAB to get it readjusted? I dont mind paying for the work but didnt know the policy for putters bought 2nd hand.

Thanks

Unfortunately, nothing can be done there as the lie is drilled right into the head and then balanced to that lie.

1 minute ago, labgolf said:

Unfortunately, nothing can be done there as the lie is drilled right into the head and then balanced to that lie.

Thank you for the input. I love the putter but I was a dummy that bought before doing my research. Now that I know what I am looking for I can get the right putter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, labgolf said:

So let me double check my thoughts... youre saying that if i were to purchase a LAB putter at a certain lie angle, i will not be able to change that lie angle, because the shaft is drilled into the head at that specific lie angle??? am i correct ?

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

4 minutes ago, bunta said:

So let me double check my thoughts... youre saying that if i were to purchase a LAB putter at a certain lie angle, i will not be able to change that lie angle, because the shaft is drilled into the head at that specific lie angle??? am i correct ?

That’s what I took out of it. Every thing I read mentioned to make sure you’re fitted before you buy. 

And after owning one that doesn’t fit, I can’t stress it enough. They are awesome putters. 

On 7/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, bunta said:

Correct. Each lie requires a different hole location and consequently, different amounts of weight in different spots to make it balance. If the putter was bent, it would no longer be balanced.

• Like 2

Another couple of rounds in the bag and my DF2.1 is certainly saving me shots. I was playing for my 3rd card today to get a handicap and I should end up at around 24. However, my putting was much better than that. I had 31 putts, only one 3 putt and six 1 putts. I holed a 20 footer and had another hit the flag and somehow not stay in the hole. I'm starting to hole 4-6 footers regularly as I get more used too the putter. In fact, Shotscope is telling me that my putting today was the equivalent of a 3 handicapper so I'm extremely happy with that performance. The LAB putter is really delivering for me.

One of the key issues for me is aim so I have to use a line on the ball to set my target line. When I've aligned the putter to the target line it always looks as if I'll miss left but, if I strike it well, I don't. I've no idea what is happening in my brain to give me that perception but the LAB consistent roll off the face gives me the confidence that I'll hole out even if it looks wrong.

I'm really enjoying the putting part of my game and the results I'm getting from my DF2.1. Now to work on Tee and Approach Shots!

• Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 12:44 PM, dlow206 said:

here is my new personal putter:

The 3rd and 4th photo make the head and shaft look PINK, which is not the case in the first two pics.  Do you have pink back-lighting on those shots?

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

Well I bit the bullet and bought a 2.1. It's second hand, but I have 30 days to see if I like it when it arrives. Pretty close to my specs, so we'll see. This will complete the last putter I wanted to try this spring/summer. It will be fun to see how it competes with the other keepers (Sik Flo C and Evnroll ER10). 

7 hours ago, 5baytjd said:

The 3rd and 4th photo make the head and shaft look PINK, which is not the case in the first two pics.  Do you have pink back-lighting on those shots?

not quite sure why the shots turned out like that, but i see what you mean. i didn't purposefully use any sort of lighting besides the light in the room. 

• Confused 1

On 7/14/2021 at 11:49 PM, ianr said:

Another couple of rounds in the bag and my DF2.1 is certainly saving me shots. I was playing for my 3rd card today to get a handicap and I should end up at around 24. However, my putting was much better than that. I had 31 putts, only one 3 putt and six 1 putts. I holed a 20 footer and had another hit the flag and somehow not stay in the hole. I'm starting to hole 4-6 footers regularly as I get more used too the putter. In fact, Shotscope is telling me that my putting today was the equivalent of a 3 handicapper so I'm extremely happy with that performance. The LAB putter is really delivering for me.

One of the key issues for me is aim so I have to use a line on the ball to set my target line. When I've aligned the putter to the target line it always looks as if I'll miss left but, if I strike it well, I don't. I've no idea what is happening in my brain to give me that perception but the LAB consistent roll off the face gives me the confidence that I'll hole out even if it looks wrong.

I'm really enjoying the putting part of my game and the results I'm getting from my DF2.1. Now to work on Tee and Approach Shots!

Sounds like the putter is going really well @ianr!

For the alignment perception issue, your eyes are likely too much over the ball. For a really good explanation on this, take a look at THIS is the MOST IMPORTANT THING in Putting, Mike MALASKA on Be Better Golf - YouTube

And for a really good way to work out where your eyes should be to see straight, watch Mike Malaska and Gott Golf discuss "Seeing the Line" - YouTube

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 3:01 PM, JDCON said:

Here is my review of my L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 Broomstick putter. This will get lost in this thread, but hope the few who find it will find it of use.

First, let’s start with the fit. There is no issue there. I’d recommend just going for the most upright lie angle you can get (79.5) for a broomstick. This is vital for the putter to work. More on that later. I also got mine at 46.5” (I’m a towering 5’10” tall).

Next, my putter arrived in a box that was mashed to hell. I was nervous at first since I paid over $800 for this putter. However, it was safe & sound inside the box.

The putter itself. This took me a little practice to get used to. You see, with my previous long putter, I held the putter at perpendicular to the ground. I didn’t realize the heel was off the ground, that’s just how I had put before. The old Dave Pelz rock your shoulders up and down with a vertical long putter. So, in the beginning, I couldn’t find the sweet spot on the putter! Turns out, it’s because I wasn’t stroking it on the lie angle. I struggled to get this DF 2.1 to work until I realized I had to set up with it soled and stroke it on the correct angle.

Once I figured out that you need to have the putter soled flat on the ground and stroke it on the lie angle, the stupid thing is automatic. Suddenly, it feels solid and you can’t miss when you line it up correctly. I chose alignment marker 28. For me, this was the best one for picking a spot on the green to be aligned to. Now, the only putts I miss are the ones I misread. Seriously. Lie angle balanced almost feels like more of a cheat than anchoring, long putters, or arm-lock putters. It’s that automatic once you figure out how to stroke the putter on the lie angle.

Are these putters expensive? Absolutely. Are they over-priced? Arguably. Will you be a better putter if you use them correctly? No doubt.

I love my broomstick as well. Only issue I had was finding the right grip. I putt face on so I found that if I put my thumb at 9 o’clock and my first 2 fingers at 3 o’clock, all I had to do was aim and let it swing. Love the putter.

• Like 1

Another great round with my DF2.1 today. 29 putts including a 48 footer, 2x 20 footers and a few 10 footers.  My best ever putting performance. Shotscope says my Strokes Gained for putting was equivalent to a tour player!!! If only.......

It got to the point where my playing partners were discussing offering me a gimme for anything up to 20ft! They said "there must be something to the tech with this branding iron!". There certainly is.

A couple of lessons and a lot of practice have helped but the key has been the putter and the confidence it provides.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 5:45 AM, DownIn1 said:

Sounds like the putter is going really well @ianr!

For the alignment perception issue, your eyes are likely too much over the ball. For a really good explanation on this, take a look at THIS is the MOST IMPORTANT THING in Putting, Mike MALASKA on Be Better Golf - YouTube

And for a really good way to work out where your eyes should be to see straight, watch Mike Malaska and Gott Golf discuss "Seeing the Line" - YouTube

Good luck!

these are both good links and something a person needs to consider BEFORE purchasing a LAB putter.  the reason this is so important is because your head position will likely impact the distance you stand away from the ball and thus can impact your lie angle.

a problem scenario i foresee happening is a person gets fitted for a LAB putter.  they then realize they need a different head position so they move further away from the ball in order to see the line properly.  unfortunately, that move away from the ball has caused them to now need a putter with a 1 or 2 degree flatter lie angle.  and as we all know, LAB putters are not adjustable

with that being said, make sure you are seeing the line correctly before getting fit for a LAB putter.

• Like 1

I am a right handed, right eye dominant putter...and I am ALWAYS burning the right edge or just off of it an inch or two...very intrigued by the DF 2.1. 

Would my repeating, predictable miss to the right suggest any particular alignment aid might help more than others. Currently playing an Evnroll ER7 fwiw.  

On 7/24/2021 at 11:03 PM, tenacious84 said:

these are both good links and something a person needs to consider BEFORE purchasing a LAB putter.  the reason this is so important is because your head position will likely impact the distance you stand away from the ball and thus can impact your lie angle.

a problem scenario i foresee happening is a person gets fitted for a LAB putter.  they then realize they need a different head position so they move further away from the ball in order to see the line properly.  unfortunately, that move away from the ball has caused them to now need a putter with a 1 or 2 degree flatter lie angle.  and as we all know, LAB putters are not adjustable

with that being said, make sure you are seeing the line correctly before getting fit for a LAB putter.

This is a good point for sure. In general, we try not to give lesson when doing our remote fittings but the one thing we ALWAYS call out is if a person is crowding the ball with their eyes on the far side of the ball. This is one of those things that never ends well. We do occasionally have folks who want to come back for a different spec after the fact but its rare. In both the remote fitting and in person, these things are generally scrutinized.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bogey69 said:

I am a right handed, right eye dominant putter...and I am ALWAYS burning the right edge or just off of it an inch or two...very intrigued by the DF 2.1. 

Would my repeating, predictable miss to the right suggest any particular alignment aid might help more than others. Currently playing an Evnroll ER7 fwiw.  

If it is an alignment issue rather than a path/face issue, you'll find that the DF will help straighten you out. With DF, the ball is going to go where you are aimed more than with any other putter and thus the feedback you get will make it very easy to adjust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, labgolf said:

If it is an alignment issue rather than a path/face issue, you'll find that the DF will help straighten you out. With DF, the ball is going to go where you are aimed more than with any other putter and thus the feedback you get will make it very easy to adjust.

So of all the alignment marks you offer, are there rules of thumb that would suggest certain ones for my situation?

Just now, bogey69 said:

So of all the alignment marks you offer, are there rules of thumb that would suggest certain ones for my situation?

This is not law but in general, right aimers do better with more lines that a parallel to the target like number 19 or 20. If thats too busy, any of the options with 2 or 3 lines on the top line would be great. That said, if you are unsure, any of the options that make a "t" are very neutral and will allow for "re-calibration" without issue.

• Like 1

OK, so I have now been on the course multiple rounds with the putter. It is everything I expected, both good (GREAT) and bad (expected).

The GOOD:

As I was hoping, I have never had this much confidence in the line that I am hitting the ball. As background, I am generally regarded as a very good putter, and I have used Anser style putters for over 30 years. My frustration is largely with short putts (6 ft and less), especially those that are breaking left to right on really fast greens. A frequent reason that I sometimes miss these putts is that I have always managed torque with Anser style putters with my hands, and that is delicate and practiced. I was hoping the DF2.1 would eliminate that, and it has!

The BAD:

My putters have always been heavy (350-360 grams). The DF2.1, while perfectly balanced, is a little lighter than my historical profile. So distance management is going to take more practice for me to get right. I hit a few perfect online putts that stopped short of the hole. (I am a hit past the hole kind of person, so I generally like to finish a round leaving no more than 2 putts short.) 

All in all, I am very happy with this experiment so far.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9deg  Ventus TR Blue 6 S

Callaway  Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 7 S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 18 & 24 deg Ventus HB 8 S

Miura KM700 4-P Fujikura Axiom 105S

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52 deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

32.5" LAB Golf DF3 w/BGT Stability One Black | Pistol 2.0 Grip

Custom Vessel Lux Cart Bag

6 hours ago, KensingtonPark said:

The BAD:

My putters have always been heavy (350-360 grams). The DF2.1, while perfectly balanced, is a little lighter than my historical profile. So distance management is going to take more practice for me to get right. I hit a few perfect online putts that stopped short of the hole. (I am a hit past the hole kind of person, so I generally like to finish a round leaving no more than 2 putts short.) 

All in all, I am very happy with this experiment so far.

Give it some time, I really struggled with distance control early on. But after some practice time, my lag putting has really become a strength again. The forgiveness certainly helps once you're used to the weight and make a proper length of stroke.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°

Srixon ZX Utility MKII 23°

PING i230 5-U, +1/2", 2°up
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

im still really interested in the B.2 model. Just couldnt pull the trigger because i couldnt get my hands on one without a fitting which would cost $100.  Question for those who have the B.2

LAB makes it very clear that the DF2.1 is much more forgiving than the B.2. And also states if you hit the middle of your putter you shouldnt have to worry about using b.2. .Well, i for sure 100% DO NOT hit the middle of the putter all the time. Can some B.2 owners tell me what their experiences are in regards to forgiveness. Is it still more forgiving than other blade putters out there ??

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7