2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

Was only able to squeeze in 9 holes before having to leave to take care of a wife with awful morning sickness, and it was a very up and down experience.  On one hand I had my first eagle of the year with a 3-footer that the DF made feel like a piece of cake.  On another, I had a 4-putt (🤮) that was total user error.  Pin was cut close to the edge of a top tier and I made a big smooth backswing with the DF to roll it up the hill and then completely bailed out on the followthrough and decelerated.  It rolled back to my feet, blew the next uphiller 6ft by and the comeback slider barely lipped out.  Next time I will have the confidence to complete the swing, this putter just really takes a smooth motion with no hit action and it will take some time to dial in.  My playing partners did all ask about the putter and commented that the short ones seemed automatic for me.

• Like 3

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:40 PM, ONtheRUN said:

@labgolfHow's the Mezz feel versus the DF 2.1? I'm looking for a more solid feel comparatively. I've the DF 2.1 but lag putts are a constant issue due the hollow/tingy feel of the aluminum head. 

I have the MEZZ and played a few rounds with the DF 2.1.  If you are getting a hollow/tingy feel you are mis hitting it them. I remember it distinctly with the DF, and have seen it with the MEZZ.  The mEZZ if you hit it low on the face or out on the toe or heel you get a little hollow sound, which is the way it should be.  From what I remember about the DF you are either hitting long putts with too much loft(and slightly low on the head) or on the toe or the heel to get that sound.

I am guessing you mean the feel/sound is making you a poor lag putter, because the sound in and of itself will not cause poor lag putting or cause distance control issues.  I have seen people that sound subconsciously causes their stroke to twinge, try putting with ear plugs in for a little while, I know it sounds stupid, but it will absolutely help, and get an impact sticker.

From what I have seen people who struggle with distance control and aren't sound people, either are setting up uncomfortably and cannot make a good feeling stroke(because of where they set up to make the short putts automatic) or they are still torquing the putter.  I know because after playing golf super competitively for 10 years and then another almost 30 years of semi-competitive golf my stroke is pretty ingrained and removing the torque is not something done easily or for some folks even in a month or longer.

• Like 3
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

On 12/8/2021 at 12:04 AM, manVSgolf said:

I have become a bit of a LABoholic.  I have had 4 standard putters - one w the stock shaft (sold it), one w Accra, one w Stability Tour, and the final one (Mezz) with Stability Polar.  I have an arm-lock and a broomstick with standard stability.  I just ordered a second broomstick with a LAGolf and will

update this when I receive it.

The Accra is by far the softest feeling shaft, and it performs awesome.  I can’t believe that a solid hunk of aluminum can feel so squishy, especially when playing a softer ball.  

The Stability shafts feel terrific as well, just not as squishy.  They literally all work awesome and you won’t pick a bad one out the bunch.  If you want your putter to feel as soft as possible, it’s a no-brainer and just go with the Accra.

Has anyone have experience with the KBS one-step shaft?  Would it work in the 2.1?

I spent some time carpet putting and 30 minutes at the practice green today.  I think I figured out a very comfortable, reliable pre-putt routine.  See the intended line, walk up and turn, placing the putter down on line and soling it flat.  Set up to the putter, getting comfy with the shaft in the middle of the stance and a fairly light grip pressure.  Then do a little hover move, picking the putter up about 2" and lowering it to hover just behind the ball.  During this move everything gets settled.  Then just rock the shoulders.  I can't wait to get back out on course and just focus on the process and let the putter do its thing!

• Like 1

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Well the time has come. I hate to say it, but I will be retiring my 2.1 and she will be replaced by the latest and greatest Mezz. We had some great times together. Sank a lot of great putts. Made a lot of two putts that seemed unthinkable. She will be missed. But I can’t imagine it will take me long to get over her. 

Ordered yesterday and the countdown to delivery begins. Hopefully I will see you all over in the Mezz thread. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

15 hours ago, Tupperwolf said:

I spent some time carpet putting and 30 minutes at the practice green today.  I think I figured out a very comfortable, reliable pre-putt routine.  See the intended line, walk up and turn, placing the putter down on line and soling it flat.  Set up to the putter, getting comfy with the shaft in the middle of the stance and a fairly light grip pressure.  Then do a little hover move, picking the putter up about 2" and lowering it to hover just behind the ball.  During this move everything gets settled.  Then just rock the shoulders.  I can't wait to get back out on course and just focus on the process and let the putter do its thing!

Nice.  I agree sole the club flat is important to get used to a repeatable sweet spot for that.  I also found widening my stance some to accommodate putter size and position helps.  Then I also like a small hover move to release tension and then just rock the shoulders.  Keeping the head down and not looking up right away also helps with smoothing out the motion.  

• Like 1

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

I have about 6 or 7 rounds on mine now and I have a thought that i dont see many talk about.  After conventional putting with a torqued putter, I get into trouble being too handy sometimes with the LAB.  I putted for 25 plus years the old traditional way.  If I can stay out of the way of the putter and let it do its thing it's great.  It doesn't take too much input from the hands to twist it closed, for me at least.

If I could go back and start over from scratch with LAB I would do an armlock.  I wish they could convert my 2.1 standard to armlock.   Can you do this LAB?

Another note.  If someone is brand new to golf and has never played before, I would absolutely start them off with one of these putters.

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

I'm so confused on what to do.... I do love the feel of my DF2.1. I had a putting lesson last week with my Pro. Great lesson. The couple of rounds I've played with the putter I was burning the holes. Nothing really went in. Good putts but didn't drop. Shot an 80, 82, and a 38 on 9. During my lesson, same thing. Burning the edges. Jeff had his putter with him. I asked to try it. He has a SC Newport 2.0, the non inserted version. Man.... I was making everything with his putter. It was an hour putting lesson that went 20 minutes over. I'd hit 5 with my LAB and 5 with his. We gave the SC's out as gifts for our Member/Guest and they had a few more. I tried a Newport 2.5 and same thing. The 5 with the SC's were consistently closer to the hole than the other 5, and I made more with the SC. So I went out and played with the SC after the lesson and shot a 76. 3 birdies. 1 was 30' putt, the other was a 40', and the 3rd was a 9' putt. I was floored. I'm a 7.7 handicap.

I think bc I bought this putter used and it being a standard version vs a custom fit, maybe the new putting setup with the lesson took the putter out of whack for me? All I know is my putting after the lesson has improved greatly. I was standing off the ball way too far back. Once I stood over the ball more, I was getting a much better roll. Maybe my issue has been my setup for years? 

I think for now, I'm sticking with the SC, but in about 6 months, I may go and do the custom LAB. The last 20 years or so I started giving my old clubs to the guys in the cart barn at our club. They're always appreciative. Letting a guy who had worked at our club for 8 years now use the LAB. He loved the way it felt as do I. If it works for him I'll hook the guy up. Great kid. If not, I'll sell it. LAB is most definitely onto something no doubt. It pains me to walk away from the LAB so early but I can't argue with the results. I did talk to LAB about "tweaking" my putter and they said it needs to be done when built so.... I'll wait. I will own another LAB putter one day for sure!

• Like 1

@labgolf Any plans on getting your putters into Dick's Sporting Goods/Golf Galaxy? I've been wanting to try out a LAB putter for a while now, but the nearest PGA Superstore is about 3 hours away. I've got a million DSG locations near me, along with a GG. 

I've played around with the Axis putters on display at my local GG, but I know there's better torque free putters out there.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

2 hours ago, MaineMariner said:

@labgolf Any plans on getting your putters into Dick's Sporting Goods/Golf Galaxy? I've been wanting to try out a LAB putter for a while now, but the nearest PGA Superstore is about 3 hours away. I've got a million DSG locations near me, along with a GG. 

I've played around with the Axis putters on display at my local GG, but I know there's better torque free putters out there.

Not sure we will ever be at Dicks. GG is a possibility but it'll be a minute

Been eyeing one of these for a while and after another horrible day on the greens - plus rolling the DF 2.1 and Mezz at a PGA Superstore today - I decided to take the plunge! Not sure what it was exactly, but I just seemed to prefer the DF 2.1 to the Mezz. I placed my order on the Lab website with my online fitting specs as soon as I got home…but now the impatient waiting game begins 😂

Appreciate all the feedback others have posted in the thread, it’s been really helpful reading  about your experiences!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 4:40 AM, ONtheRUN said:

@labgolfHow's the Mezz feel versus the DF 2.1? I'm looking for a more solid feel comparatively. I've the DF 2.1 but lag putts are a constant issue due the hollow/tingy feel of the aluminum head. 

Consciously hitting up on the ball and almost "thinning" it solved the feel issues with DF 2.1 for me. The tingy feel is mainly from the upper half of the putter face. The face is quite shallow, so it is easy to "underhit" the ball and have the equator of the ball striking the top part of the putter face. When hitting up on it and hitting the center or below the feel is really solid and not hollow at all. A slight ting in the sound remains, but getting a better strike location did wonders to feel and quality of roll.

I was always a good lag putter and struggled with the DF in the beginning, but after a full season of practice and play I can confidently say it has never been easier to get lag putts close

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°

Srixon ZX Utility MKII 23°

PING i230 5-U, +1/2", 2°up
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

5 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

Consciously hitting up on the ball and almost "thinning" it solved the feel issues with DF 2.1 for me. The tingy feel is mainly from the upper half of the putter face. The face is quite shallow, so it is easy to "underhit" the ball and have the equator of the ball striking the top part of the putter face. When hitting up on it and hitting the center or below the feel is really solid and not hollow at all. A slight ting in the sound remains, but getting a better strike location did wonders to feel and quality of roll.

I was always a good lag putter and struggled with the DF in the beginning, but after a full season of practice and play I can confidently say it has never been easier to get lag putts close

That's definitely the way you want to ideally strike any putt in the "up" portion of the pendulum of your swing. Definitely not thinning it, just getting optimal contact using the loft correctly.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour X 

17 hours ago, KhiloD said:

That's definitely the way you want to ideally strike any putt in the "up" portion of the pendulum of your swing. Definitely not thinning it, just getting optimal contact using the loft correctly.

"Thinning" it is overstating it a little bit, I agree. But the face is so shallow in the DF, it is really easy to "underhit" the equator of the ball, giving you bad feel and trouble with distance control. That was what I did in the beginning and the feel (!) of hitting up and thinning it helped me find the middle

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°

Srixon ZX Utility MKII 23°

PING i230 5-U, +1/2", 2°up
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 3 weeks later...

The magic wand continues to impress.  Drained 54 putts in a row last night on the perfect practice from varied lengths.

Really wish I could get my hands on a mezz this year because I feel myself maturing as a putter and would like to try something else out of the LAB camp! 

Keep it up LAB!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Any tips on short putt technique with the LAB putter? I am great when I can look at where the shaft enters the clubhead and have that as the center of my stance.  However, when I am over short putts, I want to look at the ball, throwing the "look" at center of shaft thing off. I find myself an assassin on medium to long putts but struggling over 3 footers.

TaylorMade M4 Driver 9.5* 

TaylorMade SIM 3-wood 15* 

TaylorMade GAPR Low 19* 

TaylorMade 770 4-9  

Titliest SM8 46*

Titliest SM8 50*

Titliest SM8 54* 

Titliest SM8 58*, bent to 59* 

Putters: L.A.B. DF 2.1 33.5" @ 68* 

Not bendable.  Shaft slot is indeed drilled to specific lie angle.  Straight from LAB Golf as I wondered the same. 

• Like 1

WITB:

TaylorMade M6 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Red 6 stiff
TaylorMade SIM Rocket
TaylorMade SIM 5 wood
TaylorMade 2019 P790 4-P  KBS Tour 120 stiff SS1X
TaylorMade MG2 48* KBS Tour 120 stiff-MG2 54* and 58* KBS Hi-REV 2.0
PXG Gen2 Operator 38 inches
PING Heppler ZB3

8 hours ago, CBraynor said:

Anyone have any long term reviews of the B.2? Seems like most everyone on here talks about the DF and now the Mezz. Don’t mind the looks of those but I’ve played a Scotty 2.6 and love a normal center shafted putter so it seems like the B2 wouldn’t be much of an adjustment for me.

I used one for awhile.  It swings nicely with the same torque balancing about the lie angle.  It also looks better at address with respect to onset (2.1 and Mezz have more with 2.1 having the most). 

However, the B2 requires a grooved stroke that consistently finds the sweetspot.  I could not provide that in part because I play greens with speeds that go from soup to nuts.  It is hard to get too grooved when jumping from 8 to 10 to 7 to 12 feet on the Stimp. 

I need higher MOI so I went to the Mezz.  Less onset than a 2.1, but most of the MOI.  The B2 is a good putter, but you have to be dialed in to take advantage of it.  Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

only had a chance to mess around with the b2 at the shop.  Same balanced feeling when making a stroke but sweet spot seemed much smaller and a bit firmer.  I have had a Mezz.1 for about a month.  I started off wanting to get a DF 2.1, but went with the Mezz.1 cause it was newer and a quicker turn around time.  I like the Mezz.1 but I keep going back to the DF 2.1.  It is just that much easier to line up and more stable....so now I have a DF2.1 on order as well...

Mezz.1 and b2 seems "freer" to swing if that makes any sense.  The DF2.1 is like a fixed pendulum.  Most forgiving/stable by a good deal IMO.  Especially with the sight line options (i did 19+1 combo).  

• Like 3

10 played at 9.25 TSI2 w/ Ventus Black 6x

16.5 degree TSI2 w/ Ventus Blue 7x

19 degree Sim Max Hybrid w/ Ventus Blue 8x/ZXU 3 Recoil 95 f5

ZXU 4 w/ Recoil 95 F5

5-p ZX7 Nippon Modus 120x 

SM8 52f/56S/60D 

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0, Sik Flo w/ LAGolf Shaft, Toulon Las Vegas, Special Select Newport 2 custom, Bettinardi Queen B 6

21 hours ago, tygunz said:

Any tips on ball position, setup, etc. for a DF2.1 broomstick?  First time using one of these style putters and would love to hear any tips from other broomers.   

Start with having the point where shaft meets head, right under your belt buckle (middle). Play around with it as I don't have a arm lock or broom stick but the DF was designed with that position in mind. If you want, search YouTube for Directed Force Ball Position to find Bill Presse IV's video on it. I post the link some pages back....

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Thanks for the reply SwingBlues. 

I also have a regular length DF 2.1 with the offset grip and you can clearly see the shaft angled from the center of the head toward the face;  "Leaning forward".  The video you referenced was pretty helpful with setup for the traditional DF 2.1 putter.  The broomstick version seems to have less shaft lean towards the face and also the grip is not offset so I'm thinking the setup could be quite different.  Hopefully that makes sense.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:46 PM, tygunz said:

Any tips on ball position, setup, etc. for a DF2.1 broomstick?  First time using one of these style putters and would love to hear any tips from other broomers.   

I’ve been using the broomstick for about 1 year now. I putt face on and I get the best results with the ball a bit forward. Catching it on a slight upswing seems to put the best roll on it and seems to always start on line. Best putter I’ve ever owned. Can’t see it ever coming out of the bag. Enjoy!

Edited by JA17

I appreciate the insight JA17.  Thank you!

I was actually on the putting green for a couple hours yesterday and was doing some experimenting and I was also getting better results by playing the ball forward in my stance.  I actually had the best results with distance control and alignment if I played it all the way up off my front foot.  Normally you would think that would add too much loft and you would see some skipping on longer putts but the roll appeared pretty pure. 

Still a big adjustment with this broomstick as a little goes a long way in terms of stroke and the distance the ball travels.  This is particularly difficult when you putt on lightning fast greens.