2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno MP 20 MMC vs Titleist T100

hypergolf

I went into a local golf store to make an order of Titleist T100. While waiting for the sales person, I tried the MP 20 MMC on the simulator.

And now I am split between the two... Used Project X 6.0 on both.

Thoughts?

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

> @hypergolf said:

> I went into a local golf store to make an order of Titleist T100. While waiting for the sales person, I tried the MP 20 MMC on the simulator.

>

> And now I am split between the two... Used Project X 6.0 on both.

>

> Thoughts?

This seems relevant.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I'm also interested if anyone has experience with these two. I've hit the T100 on the course and really like them. Don't have access to Mizuno to test on the course.

TaylorMade Qi10LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus Red 60
TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 70
PING G430 19* - Tour Chrome 2.0
PXG Gen4P 4-PW - True Temper Dynamic Gold 120
Titleist SM9 - 48* F, 54* D, 58* M - True Temper Dynamic Gold 120
Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport
Pro V1x

I love both brands and have not had a single bad experience with either from a performance or quality perspective. It comes down to feel performance and brand preference for YOU. My gut tells me that T100 will be more forgiving with equally good feel. For me, Mizuno makes incredible blades and actually does quite well in the GI category as well. Where I think they’ve fallen behind recently is the “tweener” CBs such as 18 SC and 18 MMC. You will get a slightly ball speed boost over MP20 MB but mostly due to loft. How much miss hit protection is there? Not sure. AP2/T100 is the tried and true players cavity - you know what you are going to get. I kind of think it’s for the guy who has a good swing but not necessarily perfect contact all the time. Contact trumps swing (mostly) and I get great results with a blade. If I were playing for money and could play any iron on the market, I’d be in T100.

• Like 1

I can semi chime in since I have tested the MP-20 MBs (not MMC) and the T-100, 3 times at Edwin Watts. They both looked the same address, but somehow the T-100 was a bit more "scary" while the MP-20MB inspired confidence even before hitting it. Distance? MP-20 MBs were around 10 yards longer than T-100s and way more consistent, easier to hit flush (weird since its a blade). Feel? not even close on this one, MP 20 all the way.

Based on that, I could only guess the MMC would even be a bit much longer, slightly more forgiving and better feeling than the T-100.

I ordered the MP-20Mbs after that. I was also looking at the T-100s as primary option as well (I bought the T-200s but didn't like them, too big)

> @herbert7890 said:

> I can semi chime in since I have tested the MP-20 MBs (not MMC) and the T-100, 3 times at Edwin Watts. They both looked the same address, but somehow the T-100 was a bit more "scary" while the MP-20MB inspired confidence even before hitting it. Distance? MP-20 MBs were around 10 yards longer than T-100s and way more consistent, easier to hit flush (weird since its a blade). Feel? not even close on this one, MP 20 all the way.

>

> Based on that, I could only guess the MMC would even be a bit much longer, slightly more forgiving and better feeling than the T-100.

>

> I ordered the MP-20Mbs after that. I was also looking at the T-100s as primary option as well (I bought the T-200s but didn't like them, too big)

If you have the mental confidence to play a blade, the MP20 MB is impressively playable. Unrivaled feel, incredible feedback, and a ton of help (what what the club is).

I think the MMC was a killer offering, a superb tweener.

I have 2 sets of them, one combo’d with FLi-Hi 6i and 5i and no desire to go with any in the MP-20 lineup.

I do want to find a mint set of MP-4 though ?

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

I can speak from experience on this.

I have played AP2’s for every release since they came out. I am a huge fan of Titleist products across the board, and pre-ordered the T100’s.

It only took four rounds to realize that the T100’s were not the club I expected; not as forgiving as my 718 AP2’s, did not feel as good as the AP2’s, and appeared slightly smaller.

I returned them (thank you, Edwin Watts 90 Day playability) and picked up a set of MP-20 MMC’s. (A much better look than the MP-18 model, by the way!)

Best first round experience with a set of new irons I can remember.

MMC’s have a look that is slightly larger than the T100’s, which immediately inspired confidence. The feel is incredible, performance and forgiveness is outstanding, and they look great! In fact, to my eye they look better than the MP-20 MB. Hands down over the T100’s in my opinion!

My bag was 100% Titleist for the last decade, and my TS3 driver and 3 wood, my Vokey wedges, and my Scotty are not going anywhere.

But my irons are Mizuno.

• Like 3

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

> @texcrom said:

> I can speak from experience on this.

>

> I have played AP2’s for every release since they came out. I am a huge fan of Titleist products across the board, and pre-ordered the T100’s.

>

> It only took four rounds to realize that the T100’s were not the club I expected; not as forgiving as my 718 AP2’s, did not feel as good as the AP2’s, and appeared slightly smaller.

>

> I returned them (thank you, Edwin Watts 90 Day playability) and picked up a set of MP-20 MMC’s. (A much better look than the MP-18 model, by the way!)

>

> Best first round experience with a set of new irons I can remember.

>

> MMC’s have a look that is slightly larger than the T100’s, which immediately inspired confidence. The feel is incredible, performance and forgiveness is outstanding, and they look great! In fact, to my eye they look better than the MP-20 MB. Hands down over the T100’s in my opinion!

>

> My bag was 100% Titleist for the last decade, and my TS3 driver and 3 wood, my Vokey wedges, and my Scotty are not going anywhere.

>

> But my irons are Mizuno.

I need to demo them. I’d love 4-6 iron in the MMC. Do they have the same sound you expect from a Mizuno blade? I’ve found the titanium can have a higher pitched click. Very intrigued by them.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @texcrom said:

> > I can speak from experience on this.

> >

> > I have played AP2’s for every release since they came out. I am a huge fan of Titleist products across the board, and pre-ordered the T100’s.

> >

> > It only took four rounds to realize that the T100’s were not the club I expected; not as forgiving as my 718 AP2’s, did not feel as good as the AP2’s, and appeared slightly smaller.

> >

> > I returned them (thank you, Edwin Watts 90 Day playability) and picked up a set of MP-20 MMC’s. (A much better look than the MP-18 model, by the way!)

> >

> > Best first round experience with a set of new irons I can remember.

> >

> > MMC’s have a look that is slightly larger than the T100’s, which immediately inspired confidence. The feel is incredible, performance and forgiveness is outstanding, and they look great! In fact, to my eye they look better than the MP-20 MB. Hands down over the T100’s in my opinion!

> >

> > My bag was 100% Titleist for the last decade, and my TS3 driver and 3 wood, my Vokey wedges, and my Scotty are not going anywhere.

> >

> > But my irons are Mizuno.

>

> I need to demo them. I’d love 4-6 iron in the MMC. Do they have the same sound you expect from a Mizuno blade? I’ve found the titanium can have a higher pitched click. Very intrigued by them.

I didn’t even hit the MB, but am guessing that the MMC’s won’t have that pure muscle back feel.

Even with the titanium insert, the fact is that this is a Mizuno forged cavity back and not a forged face on a SS head.

Also, I’m one who believes you can not get a true feel for the club with a demo where a shaft is screwed onto the head. Try to get a six iron from a used set, or even from Mizuno, and take it to the course. That is the true test.

There is nothing that compares to hitting a solid shot with a forged Mizuno and a ProV1X!

WITB

Tried both, MMC was the clear winner in feel for me. MMC actually performed better for me than the HMB. I had a set of the mp18 mmc and the mp20 version is quite a bit better.

You can’t go wrong with either, get what looks/sounds the best. I like that you can get the black pvd $-taper for no up charge from Mizuno

i recently got fitted and tried both, i found them both to be about the same when it came to the numbers especially decent angles and spin. If you blindfolded me to be honest i couldnt have picked them apart in terms of feel on good strikes. I dont think you would go wrong with either.

I went with the T100s as i felt they where better for me off various lies than the Mizunos and landed softer, i am more a picker for whats that is worth . Just spent 4 days on a sandbelt golf tour and i have found he T100s to be very consistent in terms of carry numbers which is confidence inspiring.

I also tried the HMB and i didnt enjoy them and they just didnt perform for me and i hit the MMC just as far with better with descent angles and spin. The T200s where a full club longer but not enough spin for me..

• Like 1

KRT 22, FWIW, I had the same experience today at a fitting. I hit the MMCs first and the HMBs second (paired with Modus 105s). I hit the MMCs well and I haven't been swinging all that great of late. Been playing i500s and hit the MMCs about 8 yards shorter --that's it. I could not hit the HMBs as well... it was obvious. They went higher, but I didn't need the launch help with the MMCs and the MMCs looked better to my eye. As far as distance, no significant difference.

I didn't have the chance to hit any of the longer irons (4,5). I'm wondering if I'm going to have the same experience or should consider dropping the 4 and carrying a hybrid replacement? What do you think? I had no problem hitting the i500 4 iron... actually one of my favorite clubs in the set. I'm not getting any younger... thoughts?

> @texcrom said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @texcrom said:

> > > I can speak from experience on this.

> > >

> > > I have played AP2’s for every release since they came out. I am a huge fan of Titleist products across the board, and pre-ordered the T100’s.

> > >

> > > It only took four rounds to realize that the T100’s were not the club I expected; not as forgiving as my 718 AP2’s, did not feel as good as the AP2’s, and appeared slightly smaller.

> > >

> > > I returned them (thank you, Edwin Watts 90 Day playability) and picked up a set of MP-20 MMC’s. (A much better look than the MP-18 model, by the way!)

> > >

> > > Best first round experience with a set of new irons I can remember.

> > >

> > > MMC’s have a look that is slightly larger than the T100’s, which immediately inspired confidence. The feel is incredible, performance and forgiveness is outstanding, and they look great! In fact, to my eye they look better than the MP-20 MB. Hands down over the T100’s in my opinion!

> > >

> > > My bag was 100% Titleist for the last decade, and my TS3 driver and 3 wood, my Vokey wedges, and my Scotty are not going anywhere.

> > >

> > > But my irons are Mizuno.

> >

> > I need to demo them. I’d love 4-6 iron in the MMC. Do they have the same sound you expect from a Mizuno blade? I’ve found the titanium can have a higher pitched click. Very intrigued by them.

>

> I didn’t even hit the MB, but am guessing that the MMC’s won’t have that pure muscle back feel.

>

> Even with the titanium insert, the fact is that this is a Mizuno forged cavity back and not a forged face on a SS head.

>

> Also, I’m one who believes you can get a true feel for the club with a demo where a shaft is screwed onto the head. Try to get a six iron from a used set, or even from Mizuno, and take it to the course. That is the true test.

>

> There is nothing that compares to hitting a solid shot with a forged Mizuno and a ProV1X!

Played my first full round with the MBs today and though I played okay (78 on a pretty tough track) I felt a bit awkward with the irons for some reason. On the range I was having some low point issues and hit quite a few thin. Maybe just adjusting to the shafts and the weather is getting cold up here in Canada. Not a great indication because we only played 6500 yards so I hit a lot of driver and then short iron or wedge in. On the plus side, the TS3 fit was worth it's weight in gold. 3 rounds in a row with over 70% FW hit and still keeping my distance up. Only had one miss today and it was still serviceable. Great club. Hoping the irons come around - the driver took a round or two.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @texcrom said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @texcrom said:

> > > > I can speak from experience on this.

> > > >

> > > > I have played AP2’s for every release since they came out. I am a huge fan of Titleist products across the board, and pre-ordered the T100’s.

> > > >

> > > > It only took four rounds to realize that the T100’s were not the club I expected; not as forgiving as my 718 AP2’s, did not feel as good as the AP2’s, and appeared slightly smaller.

> > > >

> > > > I returned them (thank you, Edwin Watts 90 Day playability) and picked up a set of MP-20 MMC’s. (A much better look than the MP-18 model, by the way!)

> > > >

> > > > Best first round experience with a set of new irons I can remember.

> > > >

> > > > MMC’s have a look that is slightly larger than the T100’s, which immediately inspired confidence. The feel is incredible, performance and forgiveness is outstanding, and they look great! In fact, to my eye they look better than the MP-20 MB. Hands down over the T100’s in my opinion!

> > > >

> > > > My bag was 100% Titleist for the last decade, and my TS3 driver and 3 wood, my Vokey wedges, and my Scotty are not going anywhere.

> > > >

> > > > But my irons are Mizuno.

> > >

> > > I need to demo them. I’d love 4-6 iron in the MMC. Do they have the same sound you expect from a Mizuno blade? I’ve found the titanium can have a higher pitched click. Very intrigued by them.

> >

> > I didn’t even hit the MB, but am guessing that the MMC’s won’t have that pure muscle back feel.

> >

> > Even with the titanium insert, the fact is that this is a Mizuno forged cavity back and not a forged face on a SS head.

> >

> > Also, I’m one who believes you can get a true feel for the club with a demo where a shaft is screwed onto the head. Try to get a six iron from a used set, or even from Mizuno, and take it to the course. That is the true test.

> >

> > There is nothing that compares to hitting a solid shot with a forged Mizuno and a ProV1X!

>

> Played my first full round with the MBs today and though I played okay (78 on a pretty tough track) I felt a bit awkward with the irons for some reason. On the range I was having some low point issues and hit quite a few thin. Maybe just adjusting to the shafts and the weather is getting cold up here in Canada. Not a great indication because we only played 6500 yards so I hit a lot of driver and then short iron or wedge in. On the plus side, the TS3 fit was worth it's weight in gold. 3 rounds in a row with over 70% FW hit and still keeping my distance up. Only had one miss today and it was still serviceable. Great club. Hoping the irons come around - the driver took a round or two.

The TS3 is in a class of its own!

WITB

> @SeaIsland said:

> KRT 22, FWIW, I had the same experience today at a fitting. I hit the MMCs first and the HMBs second (paired with Modus 105s). I hit the MMCs well and I haven't been swinging all that great of late. Been playing i500s and hit the MMCs about 8 yards shorter --that's it. I could not hit the HMBs as well... it was obvious. They went higher, but I didn't need the launch help with the MMCs and the MMCs looked better to my eye. As far as distance, no significant difference.

>

> I didn't have the chance to hit any of the longer irons (4,5). I'm wondering if I'm going to have the same experience or should consider dropping the 4 and carrying a hybrid replacement? What do you think? I had no problem hitting the i500 4 iron... actually one of my favorite clubs in the set. I'm not getting any younger... thoughts?

If i pull the trigger I’ll likely just get 4-pw and test it against my mp18 mmc flihi 4i

> @moorebaseball said:

> The only thing that turns me off from the mmc is the size and offset. I much prefer the size and offset of the t100. It’s a shame because I could see gaming the mmcs for the little extra forgiveness. I have heard great things about them, but the size just throws me off. Same with Srixon 785.

I think the T100 is probably more forgiving than both of those options despite size TBH

Will be heading into a local store for final testing and decision on the purchase this week. Will update once completed. Will base purchase decision on data and not on preconceived perception.

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Ball - Srixon Z Star

> @hypergolf said:

> Will be heading into a local store for final testing and decision on the purchase this week. Will update once completed. Will base purchase decision on data and not on preconceived perception.

Hit them off grass outdoors if possible

> @SeaIsland said:

> KRT 22, FWIW, I had the same experience today at a fitting. I hit the MMCs first and the HMBs second (paired with Modus 105s). I hit the MMCs well and I haven't been swinging all that great of late. Been playing i500s and hit the MMCs about 8 yards shorter --that's it. I could not hit the HMBs as well... it was obvious. They went higher, but I didn't need the launch help with the MMCs and the MMCs looked better to my eye. As far as distance, no significant difference.

>

> I didn't have the chance to hit any of the longer irons (4,5). I'm wondering if I'm going to have the same experience or should consider dropping the 4 and carrying a hybrid replacement? What do you think? I had no problem hitting the i500 4 iron... actually one of my favorite clubs in the set. I'm not getting any younger... thoughts?

My MMC 4-iron is easier to hit than my old P790 4-iron, despite the MMC looking much scarier at address! I think stability of the standard KBS $-Taper shaft helps a lot.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @hypergolf said:

> > Will be heading into a local store for final testing and decision on the purchase this week. Will update once completed. Will base purchase decision on data and not on preconceived perception.

>

> Hit them off grass outdoors if possible

>

Even better!

I managed to play first 9 holes with Mizuno MMC and second 9 with Titleist T100 on the course today.

Both AMT White S300 although they are not the shafts that I originally intended to get.

However I could definitely pick a clear winner although both clubs are excellent clubs.

Titleist T100 will be the winner for me for the following reasons:

* Turf interaction on both fairways and in the rough was superior for T100.

* Although the head size is smaller and the loft is weaker than the MMC, T100 consistently hit one more club length when it came to distance. I don't personally need distance but knowing that I can hit a club further than my current set or the MMC gave me more confidence.

* Accuracy was better on T100.

* Being a Mizuno iron player for the last decade, I was perplexed that I actually felt the T100 was better in terms of feel compared to the MMC. Almost like a powerful and solid "whack" that you can only hear when pros hit their irons on TV.

* The ball flight on T100 was much better. Went through with a piercing trajectory but the ball came down slow and gentle almost as if the ball was on parachute.

* T100 is actually quite forgiving despite the smaller head size... I don't know why but the technology must be somewhat true and not all marketing...

I really wanted to like the Mizuno MMC but there is no comparison when it came to performance.

Now the final part is choosing the right shaft for T100. I had Project X in mind but AMT white performed surprisingly well so will need to test these two on the launch monitor!

• Like 1

Ball - Srixon Z Star

> @hypergolf said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @hypergolf said:

> > > Will be heading into a local store for final testing and decision on the purchase this week. Will update once completed. Will base purchase decision on data and not on preconceived perception.

> >

> > Hit them off grass outdoors if possible

> >

>

> Even better!

>

> I managed to play first 9 holes with Mizuno MMC and second 9 with Titleist T100 on the course today.

>

> Both AMT White S300 although they are not the shafts that I originally intended to get.

>

> However I could definitely pick a clear winner although both clubs are excellent clubs.

>

> Titleist T100 will be the winner for me for the following reasons:

>

> * Turf interaction on both fairways and in the rough was superior for T100.

> * Although the head size is smaller and the loft is weaker than the MMC, T100 consistently hit one more club length when it came to distance. I don't personally need distance but knowing that I can hit a club further than my current set or the MMC gave me more confidence.

> * Accuracy was better on T100.

> * Being a Mizuno iron player for the last decade, I was perplexed that I actually felt the T100 was better in terms of feel compared to the MMC. Almost like a powerful and solid "whack" that you can only hear when pros hit their irons on TV.

> * The ball flight on T100 was much better. Went through with a piercing trajectory but the ball came down slow and gentle almost as if the ball was on parachute.

> * T100 is actually quite forgiving despite the smaller head size... I don't know why but the technology must be somewhat true and not all marketing...

>

> I really wanted to like the Mizuno MMC but there is no comparison when it came to performance.

>

> Now the final part is choosing the right shaft for T100. I had Project X in mind but AMT white performed surprisingly well so will need to test these two on the launch monitor!

>

>

That “pro sound” you got is very likely to do with the turf interaction being better for you. I’m not surprised to hear that. The MP grind does not work for me and I’ll either be going back to my Titleist or going Apex MB. Interestingly I prefer how the long irons go through the ground with the Mizuno compared to the short irons. Glad you found your new clubs!

For me it was the MMC. Tried both for a long time because I really wanted the Titleist to win out just because of the offset and top line. I was hitting them both in the X100 shafts and found the MMC to go farther and have a lot tighter dispersion. The T100 spun about 700-1000 RPM more as well, on normalized trackman. I thought they both felt and sounded similar, the T100 a little lighter click noise and feeling. I guess if you spin the ball a lot like I do the T100 just adds to it. Both are great though.

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

Now this is getting really confusing... I got to try both MMC and T100 in Project X 6.0 today... Mizuno MMC out performed by miles with this shaft...

Mizuno MMC with Project X also outperformed T100 in AMT S300...

Ball - Srixon Z Star

> @hypergolf said:

> Now this is getting really confusing... I got to try both MMC and T100 in Project X 6.0 today... Mizuno MMC out performed by miles with this shaft...

>

> Mizuno MMC with Project X also outperformed T100 in AMT S300...

Yup.

Want to be blown away even more? Try the MBs or MMC with the $ Taper. Pure bliss

> @hypergolf said:

> Now this is getting really confusing... I got to try both MMC and T100 in Project X 6.0 today... Mizuno MMC out performed by miles with this shaft...

>

> Mizuno MMC with Project X also outperformed T100 in AMT S300...

this was the case for me as well, Mizuno MP-20 MB with ANY shaft, way outperformed the T-100s and even the T-200s (odd enough). Was a very easy decision.

> @aquapig said:

> > @hypergolf said:

> > Now this is getting really confusing... I got to try both MMC and T100 in Project X 6.0 today... Mizuno MMC out performed by miles with this shaft...

> >

> > Mizuno MMC with Project X also outperformed T100 in AMT S300...

>

> Yup.

>

> Want to be blown away even more? Try the MBs or MMC with the $ Taper. Pure bliss

I second this statement! I’m a Titleist guy who wanted to like the T100, but to me it is not even close! Different strokes.....

WITB