Mizuno MP 20 MMC vs Titleist T100

On another note, those who say the MP20 HMB feels as good as the MB or the MMC must not be hitting the same clubs as me.

I picked up an HMB 3 iron, hit two shots, and took it out of the bag.

No comparison with the Titleist U500. Strictly my opinion.

And nowhere near the feel quality of the MMC. IMO.

• Like 2

WITB

Titleist TSi3 9.0 degree HZRDUS Smoke 70g 6.0 Stiff 
Titleist TSi3 15.0 degree HZDRUS Smoke 70g 6.0 Stiff 
Taylor Made SIM Max 19 degree Hybrid Ventus Stiff
Titleist T100 4 - 9 AMT White S-300
Titleist Vokey SM8 46-10F
Titleist Vokey SM8 52-12F
Titleist Vokey SM8 56-10S
Titleist Vokey SM8 60-10S
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport T22
Titleist ProV1X

GO VOLS!
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can speak from experience on this.   I have played AP2’s for every release since they came out. I am a huge fan of Titleist products across the board, and pre-ordered the T100’s.   It only took f

On another note, those who say the MP20 HMB feels as good as the MB or the MMC must not be hitting the same clubs as me.   I picked up an HMB 3 iron, hit two shots, and took it out of the bag.   No

Yes better/softer feel than T100. some might say the firmer contact feels better to them. I found the MMC softer than t100 so id say it feels better yes   The t100 is not harsh feeling by any means, i

• 1 month later...

A rant here, but it seems I will never own Titleist irons due to the simple fact that their lie angles are 1.5* upright of Mizuno Standard (which I play 1 flat). So if you prefer flatter lie angles, you are not going to like the look of Titleist. I realize you can have them bent when you order, but I've never seen a fitter with flat lie angles, so I'm not able to give their irons an honest evaluation as they are 2.5* upright of what I typically play.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

I'm a 19 index and have played the whole year with a combo set of MP-15 4-5i and MP-33 6-PW. I'm a feel player and don't care if people laugh at me for using blades.

I need help in the longer irons, though. Absolutely LOVE the MP-15s, they feel very close to the blades and have a little more forgiveness than the 33s. Toe hits are my usual miss.

Also, I've been fitted for a combo set of MMC/MP-20 a couple weeks ago. I have to say I could not tell the difference in feel between the MMC and MP-33, while I can tell one between the 33s and 15s (with the 33s feeling less clicky on minimally off-center hits,, which could be a sound thing). I hit them side by side for over an hour. Forgiveness was better in the MMCs, no question. Distance wise, the MMCs (traditional lofts) were clear winners, but MP-33s have very weak lofts. Ball flight was a little higher with the MMCs.

Shafts were $ Taper X-Stiff in the MMC/MP-20, I have S300 Sensicores in the 15s/33s. My SS with a 7i is around 95 mph.

Finally, my buddy just got a set of T100s and I do like them. They feel more solid as opposed to the Mizuno soft feel. Neither are bad at all, just different. I like the sound of the Mizuno much better, though.

All testing was done on mats, not on grass.

On a side note, I was VERY surprised at the forgiveness of the MP-20 blades. Unbelievable difference to the MP-33 and 15. Really mindblowing. That seems to be the general consensus on the interwebs and I have to agree. I'll be going 3i/4i HMB, 5-7 MMC, 8-PW MP.

I think the MMC are a fantastic iron. They look great from all angles (to me) and feel amazing. T100 are great, too. It comes down to preference in feel and sound- and maybe turf interaction, which I cannot judge right now.

Yeah they're great irons. I'm thinking of switching out my 4 and 5 blades for the MMC to lower my flight a bit, add some ball speed and strengthen my flight. HMB sole is too wide for me.

Taylormade Sim 9* Ventus Velo Blue 7x 

Taylormade Sim Max 3W Ventus Velo Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Callaway Tour Issue Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X

Miura Tour Issue MC-501 (Low Offset) DG Pro X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Taylormade MG2 TW 56* + 60* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro -V1x  or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

my fitting at club champion was 2 weeks ago now so ive hit the t100, 620 mb and cb, mp 20 mb and mmc..... I ended up with the MMC as the best blend of everything I hit. Im not necessarily looking for distance but efficiency was quite low with what I was playing before. Biggest issue was the shaft choice. by getting a proper fit shaft I increased ball speed by 7mph while tightening dispersion. Spin actually went up too

To me the MMC felt much better than the t100's. T100 felt slightly firmer on the face which I didnt care for. I could play them yea, but both Mizuno offerings were softer and visually looked more appealing. If I had to play a titleist iron I would of went with the 620 CB

Like some have mentioned already the MP20 MB is actually quite forgiving and very playable for a blade. Ive never played Mizuno before so I cant compare to previous offerings but both the MMC and MB felt much better than anything else I hit that day. Other than the smaller profile of the MP20 MB, head to head I couldn't feel a difference of the MMC or MB. Maybe outside I could tell. All in all tho the MMC is easily the best iron ive hit.

• Like 1

PXG Proto 0811x 9*.... Tensei Pro Orange 60tx or TM SIM Max 9* ... KBS TD 60 cat4

PXG 0211 3w 15*.... Tensei Pro Blue 70tx or TM SIM 15* ... KBS TD 70 cat4

TM SIM DHY 18* ...KBS Prototype 95x

TM SIM Rescue 22* ... Diamana Thump 105x
Srixon Z Forged 5 - P ... Project X PXI 115 6.5 ((New Level PF-1 Black 4-P ... C-taper lite 115x black))

Vokey SM8 raw black 51, 55, 59

LowTide Custom Fin putter

I got similar results. MMC with Project X 6.0 outperformed other shaft combos. KBS Tour S felt softer and had better spin numbers, but project X had much tighter dispersion ( I even gained a couple yards with them). I wanted to like KBS tour and C taper, but project X was much better for my swing.

I also swung Srixon Z785, titleist T100, ping i20, i500, and apex pro. The i500 was extremely accurate, but towering and I didn’t like the sound off the face. The Srixon felt great as well, but I found the mis-hits to be less forgiving than the MMC.

I got similar results. MMC with Project X 6.0 outperformed other shaft combos. KBS Tour S felt softer and had better spin numbers, but project X had tighter dispersion ( I even gained a couple yards with them). I wanted to like KBS tour and C taper, but project X was much better for my swing.

I also swung Srixon Z785, titleist T100, ping i20, i500, and apex pro. The i500 was extremely accurate, but towering and I didn’t like the sound off the face. The Srixon felt great as well, but I found the mid-hits to be less forgiving than the MMC.

I got similar results. MMC with Project X 6.0 outperformed other shaft combos. KBS Tour S felt softer and had better spin numbers, but project X had tighter dispersion ( I even gained a couple yards with them). I wanted to like KBS tour and C taper, but project X was much better for my swing.

I also swung Srixon Z785, titleist T100, ping i20, i500, and apex pro. The i500 was extremely accurate, but towering and I didn’t like the sound off the face. The Srixon felt great as well, but I found the mid-hits to be less forgiving than the MMC.

Id say the MMC is definitely "close enough" in feel to MB. Both feel incredible on solid contact

PXG Proto 0811x 9*.... Tensei Pro Orange 60tx or TM SIM Max 9* ... KBS TD 60 cat4

Srixon Z Forged 5 - P ... Project X PXI 115 6.5 ((New Level PF-1 Black 4-P ... C-taper lite 115x black))

Yes better/softer feel than T100. some might say the firmer contact feels better to them. I found the MMC softer than t100 so id say it feels better yes

The t100 is not harsh feeling by any means, it feels quite good. Just not as good as the MMC

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had the MP MMCs I thought they felt amazing and were very forgiving. I bent them 1 strong and they just dug on me like crazy I had to get rid of them. If they didn’t dig I would have kept them.

I hit the t100s outside off grass and thought they felt pretty good and loved the turf interaction. I want to play lofts similar to the MMCs so I will be ordering the T100S when they come out in March

I just had a fitting at Club Champion. Let me give you a quick rundown of how I ended up with the MMC even when I wanted to get fit for the T100. We found a shaft that worked for me, got great numbers, and moved on to finding a head to really optimize the shaft. We tried Miura, Titleist, and Mizuno. I ended up with the MP 20 MMC due to my dispersion being very tight with the C-Taper and MP 20 head.

I would tell people to really get fitted for the MP 20 MMC or T100. It was interesting that I was spinning the T100 about 1000 more rpm than the MMC. It confirms what I was seeing out on the course when I demoed the T100 and 919 Tour. I'd say that a lot of people may be shocked at how much a shaft might perform differently in a different head. You may think it just doesn't fit you when you're just hitting it in the wrong head.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/30/2019 at 9:48 PM, KeithM38 said:

For me it was the MMC. Tried both for a long time because I really wanted the Titleist to win out just because of the offset and top line. I was hitting them both in the X100 shafts and found the MMC to go farther and have a lot tighter dispersion. The T100 spun about 700-1000 RPM more as well, on normalized trackman. I thought they both felt and sounded similar, the T100 a little lighter click noise and feeling. I guess if you spin the ball a lot like I do the T100 just adds to it. Both are great though.

The stronger lofts in the mmc’s will no doubt contribute to you having more spin with the t100’s. 

• 3 months later...

Bringing this back up, hoping some of you who have had either iron for a while might be able to chime in. I tested these two indoors side by side today at a retailer but couldn't test them out with the same shaft. Its obviously had to tell indoor so i'm hoping some of you with experience playing with them for a while might be able to help.

Due to the loft differences I was getting different distance and spin numbers (T100 higher spin and less distance) but I couldn't really get a good sense of the forgiveness between the two. The MMC head looks a fair amount bulkier compared to T100 and seems to have a fair amount more offset. I am going to be doing a full fitting with these but was mainly curious how much forgiveness difference you saw between them and just overall experience with either.

Thanks

1 hour ago, FatThinShank said:

Bringing this back up, hoping some of you who have had either iron for a while might be able to chime in. I tested these two indoors side by side today at a retailer but couldn't test them out with the same shaft. Its obviously had to tell indoor so i'm hoping some of you with experience playing with them for a while might be able to help.

Due to the loft differences I was getting different distance and spin numbers (T100 higher spin and less distance) but I couldn't really get a good sense of the forgiveness between the two. The MMC head looks a fair amount bulkier compared to T100 and seems to have a fair amount more offset. I am going to be doing a full fitting with these but was mainly curious how much forgiveness difference you saw between them and just overall experience with either.

Thanks

If you trust the maltby playability factor which is a good standard for many years T100 are more forgiving but its fairly close with mmc. MPF is a 1 to 1000, where 1000 is hit it all over the face and it goes straight 🤣

I'm looking at new irons so I thought I'd throw in others im looking at as a comparison.  

Titleist t100 - 528
Titleist 100s - 530
Titleist 200 - 690 (3 or 4 iron only)

Ping i210 - 480 ish (going off i200)

Mizuno mp 20 mmc - 416

Mizuno mp 20 hmb - 478

Mizuno jpx 921 tour - 433

Link to MPF for all irons 

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

Edited by Nick_E

I bought a mp 20 hmb with px lz 6.  Ive hit it in one session and it just doesn't feel good at all.  I compared it with ping i20 3 iron and jpx 921 forged 4 iron.  Forged felt the best and highest launch and ball speed.

I was going to sell the job forged but now ill keep it.  The HMB 3 iron will be listed on bst.

UPDATE

How quickly things change.  Hit hmb again this morning and its much improved.  I was actually striping it and it felt good.  I'll chalk it to my swing or being tired.  

Edited by Nick_E

I found that the MMC's launched best for me vs the Titleist. The sole on the MMC for me was better turf interaction. I really wanted to like the T100/200 but they didnt work out for my swing. MMC's also had the $-Taper standard...what a combo!

SIM 9* Tensei Pro White
TS3 16.5* EvenFlow White 75
TS3 19* EvenFlow White 90
Mp20 MMC 4-PW $-Taper

CBX2 50* $-Taper
ES21 54/58 Nippon 115
Mannkrafted WAVE
TP5x / Bridgestone Tour B XS

10 minutes ago, VA_Astra said:

I found that the MMC's launched best for me vs the Titleist. The sole on the MMC for me was better turf interaction. I really wanted to like the T100/200 but they didnt work out for my swing. MMC's also had the $-Taper standard...what a combo!

Did you also try the 770s or 7MC?

I tried the 770's, they felt great but wanted to get away from a super hot head. I am more interested in consistency than anything. Ended up being a toss up between 921 Tour and MMC, MMC's had just enough forgiveness that led me there. Tour's felt better yes, but MMC's are super nice too.

MMC's out on the course so far have been awesome. Thin or slight toe shots ended up in the same place or very near. Tour was too punishing as my ball striking is off on days!

SIM 9* Tensei Pro White
TS3 16.5* EvenFlow White 75
TS3 19* EvenFlow White 90
Mp20 MMC 4-PW $-Taper

CBX2 50* $-Taper
ES21 54/58 Nippon 115
Mannkrafted WAVE
TP5x / Bridgestone Tour B XS

1 minute ago, VA_Astra said:

I tried the 770's, they felt great but wanted to get away from a super hot head. I am more interested in consistency than anything. Ended up being a toss up between 921 Tour and MMC, MMC's had just enough forgiveness that led me there. Tour's felt better yes, but MMC's are super nice too.

MMC's out on the course so far have been awesome. Thin or slight toe shots ended up in the same place or very near. Tour was too punishing as my ball striking is off on days!

Very interesting that MMCs were more forgiving than tours.  I look forward to trying them.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:59 PM, FatThinShank said:

Thanks

I agree with you 100% on the looks of T100 vs MMC. I had MMCs and have since sold and switched them for T100. I’m a bit of a digger, and I just couldn’t get along with the Mizuno soles. The Titleist, for me, are much much better. 

Ping G410 LST / Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100-S 4-W / True Temper DG X7

Vokey SM8 54-12 D Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Vokey SM8 WW 58-6 LB K Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance / KBS CT Tour

PXG One and Done Double Bend / BGT Stability