Streamsong Review - Bowling Green Florida

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > all resort food is over-priced ... the food at the clubhouses was decent enough, and not too over-priced ... food doesn't play into it for me, personally, esp on a guy's trip ... burgers and wings ... you can play as a non-resort guest for $125 a round from june 1st to the end of august ... that's a steal for those courses ...

>

> Central FL from June 1 to Aug 31 is almost uninhabitable. So, $125 isn't a steal.

ย 

it is if you don't melt from the heat ...

> @Quasimoto said:

> Has anyone stayed offsite and played daily at Streamsong?

> I'm thinking Sun City or similar.

> Reason I ask is that I scoped out playing in May and a room at the clubhouse was listed at $425/night.

> Seems excessive to pay for golf and caddy after that. Looking at a total of about $800.00 a day for accommodation and golf with car and meals, tips, etc.

>

> Edit was to add last 2 lines.

ย 

Yes, I've been there twice while staying off-site. There's a Best Western on Rt 17 in Bowling Green that's 25 minutes away. Nothing fancy, but more than serviceable.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat)ย - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @Quasimoto said:

> > Has anyone stayed offsite and played daily at Streamsong?

> > I'm thinking Sun City or similar.

> > Reason I ask is that I scoped out playing in May and a room at the clubhouse was listed at $425/night.

> > Seems excessive to pay for golf and caddy after that. Looking at a total of about $800.00 a day for accommodation and golf with car and meals, tips, etc.

> >

> > Edit was to add last 2 lines.

>

> Yes, I've been there twice while staying off-site. There's a Best Western on Rt 17 in Bowling Green that's 25 minutes away. Nothing fancy, but more than serviceable.

ย 

Thank you

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3Wย Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Madeย SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMAย TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Went to Streamsong for my 30th birthday in September with my Mom and brother. The 3 of us had an amazing time. Agree that the food was just okay for a high end resort. I have great memories of the Black course. I holed out from 85 yards for eagle on the first hole. Ended the round shooting a 1 under 72, which was the first time I ever broke par. On my 30th birthday no less!

Driver Srixon ZX7 10.5* Tensai Blue 44.5 inches
3W: ZX Fairway 15* Rogue 70s
Hybrids: ZX Hybrid 3/4 Smoke Black 6.0ย 
Irons: ZX5 4 iron, ZX7 5-PW, Modus 120 2* upright, + 1/2 inch S300
Wedges: 52* RTX ZipCore RAW, RTX Full Face Black Tour Satin 58* DG Spinner Wedge Flex
Putter: FrontLine Elevado 35 inches

> @Roadking2003 said:

> I plan to play one round at Streamsong in December. How do you suggest I pick which course?

ย 

Red. Unless you are in the mood for a big scale course with utterly wild greens, then Black. But I thought overall Red was the clear best course there. The Blue course was the hilliest if you prefer that. Or go by the food at the halfway houses. Fish tacos, brisket, or chili empanadas.

ย 

> @Roadking2003 said:

> I plan to play one round at Streamsong in December. How do you suggest I pick which course?

ย 

I am in the extreme minority, but I loved Blue. That being said after the first time I played black I was blown away. My first thought was that was like nothing I have ever played before.

> @Roadking2003 said:

ย 

red vs blue, red is tougher tee/green, blue's tougher on/around greens ... black's fairways and greens are wider/bigger than blue & red, but black's greens can be really huge and a bit frustrating as a 40 ft putt could break either way or up/down 4-6 times ... it's still a great course ... just depends on your personal preference ... red is generally more highly regarded than blue ...

> @mci711 said:

>

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > I plan to play one round at Streamsong in December. How do you suggest I pick which course?

>

>That being said after the first time I played black I was blown away. My first thought was that was like nothing I have ever played before.

ย 

This is the obvious answer. If I had to play a single Streamsong course, it would be Black. Red is a really really great course, but Black is unique. If I have an opportunity to play something unique and different...I'd take that over a course that's "better".

I went to Streamsong in late May. I enjoyed the golf immensely. Its radically different than most places and the courses, especially the greens, present some unique challenges.

ย 

I think the architectural design of the hotel and clubhouses is weird, and definitely not my taste. The hotel looks like a pharmaceutical company headquarters. The rooms are nice though, as are the amenities.

ย 

In terms of food, I thought prices were about what you'd expect from a premium-type resort. Breakfast was terrific, dinners were good, but not great. I had no problems with the service; they were very attentive.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73ย 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73ย 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @"short game" said:

> Blue is my favorite by far. Just love the way it sets up. 1st 6 holes - straightforward. next 6 a little tougher - last 6 Brutal. 14-18 will challenge even the best golfers.

ย 

I mentioned this on another thread, but I found the front-9 of the Blue to be terrific but the back (except for 12 which is a great hole) to be a bit boring. Some of those fairways are so wide I felt like I was on a driving range. And the look of the bunkers overall was fairly blah. It is a very good course but not at the level of the Red or the Black for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Streamsong is nowhere close to Pebble, WS, and Kiawah in terms of price (per round and per room). I think it's an unfair comparison. You better get great food when you're paying close to a thousand bucks a night. Streamsong is a fancy Bandon, not a Pebble wannabe. Still, it does sound like the food could be improved or maybe more options added given the isolation of the place.

i'm in the blue camp as well. Heading down end of January to play the Black. So excited to see it. Between the Blue/Red i'm going with the blue 7/10 times

Callaway Paradymย ๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Ž๐Ÿ’Žย 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

Went in October and played all three. The golf was great! Caddies were just OK. Food and service was very substandard. The place was extremely disorganized. Bags/Clubs/Personal items lost. The experience left me mildly displeased considering the cost of the trip.

Last year my group went to Sawgrass. It was better in every way. The golf, the caddies, the food and service. Things to do after golf.

I would be interested to see what you chose. I am in the same camp as many. Red is the best course if GCA classic architectural standards apply, but there are other courses similar to the Red you can play. I would choose the Black in your shoes. I love that course, and there is nothing like it. For that reason alone I would play the black if I had only one choice.

My wife and I stayed 1 night and played the Blue to close out our Clearwater vacation. I enjoyed the Blue, very wide fairways but tough around the greens. Only a few holes were truly memorable to me. Probably 1, 7, 9 and 18. Only reason i say 9 is because I birdied from a fairway bunker. I actually enjoyed World Woods - Pine Barrens more than the Blue course, just thought it was a more fun and appealing layout.

We had lunch at the Blue/Red clubhouse after our round and it was forgettable to say the least. The food was mediocre and I don't remember the service so i can't say it was good or bad. Dinner was another story though. We had a reservation at the Bone Valley Tavern on the Black course. As I first approached I instantly wished I had played the Black, it looked like nothing i had seen before. The wife and I were taking some pictures when Brandon (I'm assuming the manager) approached us and informed us that we were the only reservation for the night and that we would have the dining room to ourselves (there was a private party in the backroom but never really saw them and only heard them occasionally). He then offered to get us putters and drinks to play the putting course and told us to play as long as we liked. After putting around awhile we went inside for dinner and met Brooke our server, the rest of the night was fantastic. Between Brooke and Brandon it was the best service I think I've ever had at a restaurant, both were first class. The food was very good but the service was even better!! A+ for Brandon and Brooke.

I'm going back to Clearwater this month and plan to get away to play the Black, really looking forward to it.

Can you describe your caddie experience in more detail? What did you not like? Was it just a forecaddie? Were they giving you lines on every shot... reading your putts, etc? I've read there are a lot of blind shots and I can't imagine going off on my own and having to literally guess where to hit, even if I had a GPS app open.

I only have time to play 2 of the 3 so I figure I'm best off playing Blue and then trying to do a replay and hit up Red after. How long were your rounds?

ย 

ย 

If it was me and I only had time for one I'd play the Black. It's very unique and different I really enjoyed it. Blue and Red are similar in my eyes I slightly prefer the Red but but are good but not spectacular imo.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

@Z1ggy16 I think it might have been the luck of the draw. We two caddies for our foursome. We'd have to ask for advice and help reading the greens. They were late to our tee time. One of the guys said he formerly caddied on tour. Maybe he was just irritated with his station in life. Maybe he had other stuff going on. I'm not sure. We all have bad days I suppose. I've been to several walking only resorts, and this was the first time I was actively displeased with our caddie service.

I've had bad caddies but never one that was late to our tee time. Thats pretty surprising especially at SS.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*ย ย Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

@Z1ggy16 The best word I can think of is disinterested. We are single digit handicappers. We were there 3 days. Day 1 we had a different set of caddies that were terrific. Somehow they were "requested" by another group and we lost them for the disinterested one. Maybe he had something going on in his life that wasn't going well. Who knows and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. However, coupled with the expense of the place and the very lousy food and service, I won't be going back. Another group from my club went a few weeks earlier and raved about it, so maybe my group was just unlucky.
I can't say enough good things about TPC Sawgrass though. They were Disney World friendly.

Sounds like a fluke. I've been reading a lot of reviews and this is the first time I heard of bad caddies. I mean, I'm just going for the experience and the fun, I literally don't care what I shoot so it's not required for me to have a caddie. I use a GPS on my wrist and also the 18Birdies app (overhead satellite views) when I play. Do you think that's enough to navigate the course successfully? Really more than anything I'd want the caddie to help with telling me where the best misses are on my shots, and also to a small extent reading putts. A lot of times on these overhead GPS views, you can't really get a sense of the slope of the land.... Sometimes a place looks like a good miss but the reality is it's actually some giant collection area with 43745494384 divots and whatnot.

TPC is on my bucket list but I'm also going to Orlando to specifically see some friends and family. Maybe in a few years I'll make a trip down again and play there.

ย 

ย