Callaway SUPER!! Hybrid review

QuigleyDU

> @snagy2000 said:

> This not a magical club, buyer beware... Especially of the marketing department...

Can be said about any club really.....

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

> @snagy2000 said:

> This not a magical club, buyer beware... Especially of the marketing department...

What you say is accurate for any club. What was your experience? I am guessing you didn’t like it? Why?

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @snagy2000 said:

> > This not a magical club, buyer beware... Especially of the marketing department...

>

> What you say is accurate for any club. What was your experience? I am guessing you didn’t like it? Why?

I actually like hitting it, very easy to hit. It just doesn't do anything "Super" as advertised. I didn't see any distance gains over my current hybrid, but will say, I could hit it off the tee with more confidence than my current gamer. Is that worth upgrading for, I don't think so.

> @snagy2000 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @snagy2000 said:

> > > This not a magical club, buyer beware... Especially of the marketing department...

> >

> > What you say is accurate for any club. What was your experience? I am guessing you didn’t like it? Why?

>

> I actually like hitting it, very easy to hit. It just doesn't do anything "Super" as advertised. I didn't see any distance gains over my current hybrid, but will say, I could hit it off the tee with more confidence than my current gamer. Is that worth upgrading for, I don't think so.

Gotcha. I got a worse impression than that.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I have a 20 degree super hybrid that i custom ordered with a black recoil shaft and orange Iomic grip as these are shaft and grip i play in my apex combos and both work well for me. It is a BIG hybrid but surprisingly easy to hit out of traps and rough which i have never been able to do with bigger hybrids before. A tiny bit longer distance than the Apex hybrid it replaced but it is much more forgiving and i am hitting it at much better height. My golf bud ordered a 17 and turns it down to 16 and uses it as his 3/4 wood. He has always struggled with fairway woods but is absolutely killing this club. He has the stock shaft and loves it. Different looking club for sure, but might b helpful to your game. Those that prefer more iron looking hybrids and utility irons need not apply unless looking for a 3 wood replacement.

• Like 1

Those are pretty outrageous carry numbers for a 163 ball speed with 3300 spin, are they not?

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

> @osubuckeyes691 said:

> Those are pretty outrageous carry numbers for a 163 ball speed with 3300 spin, are they not?

It is at 4500 alt. So take ~10% off for sea level. But otherwise they are as real as it gets.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

So I saw this bad boy last night and I actually like how it looks. Now, mind you it was dark and I was looking at it by the light of an open hatchback, lol, but it kinda had the shape of a smaller '07 Burner FW, and we all know how good those were. Also confirmed that this sorta-kinda was the big, bad baby of the Super LS. My post history is rife with references to that tin-cannon on a stick, and that it was altogether a different beast!

I think I'm going to get one to replace my 18° XForged UT. While I do prefer the DI shape off the tee, the majority of my penalty strokes incurred with the #3 (230-245) club in my bag happen on approach shots. Off the tee isn't much of an issue, but my mishits off the turf with the DI just don't work out so well. Also, working down the line (shape, size, and hotfaced-wise) from D-Fw-H-DI-Apex Pros-Wedges seems to be good for me, so the larger than a hybrid but smaller than a fairway kinda makes sense to my pea-brain, as much as anything else does!

20° of high launching fire, low hot bullets, anti-left lasers, (am I forgetting any???) shafted up with with a little Aldila Rogue action and my bag will be set for good, right!

Right?

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Personally i like the look a lot and applaud Callaway for trying different shapes and sizes for fairways and hybrids. More options the better

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Really interesting club but I already play a tour issue M1 for my 4w which honestly I pretty much only use off the tee anyway. The club I have struggled with for years, is the 5w/3h slot. This thing looks like it would be too long/too low spin for that slot since I use it both off the tee and off the deck an equal amount (maybe slightly more off the tee, but it depends on course).

Fairway woods - More forgiving, more speed, more distance but a little less accurate and for me personally, harder to *consistently* hit well off the deck. Probably has more to do with shaft length than anything else.

Hybrid - Slightly less forgiving, tend to be more draw bias but are easier to hit out of firm/shallow bunkers, and do better out of rough. Better for windy days.

Right now I don't know what to do for this slot. I've got a 5w, two different hybrids...and I'm thinking about trying out a few other 5 woods over the winter. I want the forgiveness and launch/spin of a wood, but the consistency and ease of use of the hybrid. Maybe one of these in 20* would be what I need?

> @Ivyguy said:

> > @"Canoe Paddler" said:

> > Finally, the perfect club to fill the gap between my 330 yard 3 wood and 280 yard 4 iron

>

> Holy crap.... this was funny.

>

> I would take that from my driver, all day everyday..... a hybrid?

>

> Holy Christmas

Quig can comment but didn't he turn this down to 16*? It's it's basically playing like a shortened 3 wood. I'm pretty sure I've seen him post like 185+ mph ball speed with driver too... so yeah his drives probably can carry 330 on most simulators.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @Ivyguy said:

> > > @"Canoe Paddler" said:

> > > Finally, the perfect club to fill the gap between my 330 yard 3 wood and 280 yard 4 iron

> >

> > Holy crap.... this was funny.

> >

> > I would take that from my driver, all day everyday..... a hybrid?

> >

> > Holy Christmas

>

> Quig can comment but didn't he turn this down to 16*? It's it's basically playing like a shortened 3 wood. I'm pretty sure I've seen him post like 185+ mph ball speed with driver too... so yeah his drives probably can carry 330 on most simulators.

That is correct, I did have it set to 16*.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @Ivyguy said:

> > > > @"Canoe Paddler" said:

> > > > Finally, the perfect club to fill the gap between my 330 yard 3 wood and 280 yard 4 iron

> > >

> > > Holy crap.... this was funny.

> > >

> > > I would take that from my driver, all day everyday..... a hybrid?

> > >

> > > Holy Christmas

> >

> > Quig can comment but didn't he turn this down to 16*? It's it's basically playing like a shortened 3 wood. I'm pretty sure I've seen him post like 185+ mph ball speed with driver too... so yeah his drives probably can carry 330 on most simulators.

>

> That is correct, I did have it set to 16*.

Quigley, have you tried the g410? I was thinking about a TS2, g410 and the super Callaway. I’m going through an experiment to try a hybrid as a replacement for a fairway wood so I’m looking at hybrid that are bigger and lower lofted. I picked up a g410 and set it flat at 16* and I’m pleasantly surprised. I figured I would have trouble keeping the launch and spin down but have no problem whatsoever.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

> @Rosco1216 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > @Ivyguy said:

> > > > > @"Canoe Paddler" said:

> > > > > Finally, the perfect club to fill the gap between my 330 yard 3 wood and 280 yard 4 iron

> > > >

> > > > Holy crap.... this was funny.

> > > >

> > > > I would take that from my driver, all day everyday..... a hybrid?

> > > >

> > > > Holy Christmas

> > >

> > > Quig can comment but didn't he turn this down to 16*? It's it's basically playing like a shortened 3 wood. I'm pretty sure I've seen him post like 185+ mph ball speed with driver too... so yeah his drives probably can carry 330 on most simulators.

> >

> > That is correct, I did have it set to 16*.

>

> Quigley, have you tried the g410? I was thinking about a TS2, g410 and the super Callaway. I’m going through an experiment to try a hybrid as a replacement for a fairway wood so I’m looking at hybrid that are bigger and lower lofted. I picked up a g410 and set it flat at 16* and I’m pleasantly surprised. I figured I would have trouble keeping the launch and spin down but have no problem whatsoever.

>

Are we talking about the hybrids? If so, yes I have tried them all. They are all solid. I do not like the stock shaft offering for the ping at all. The alta shaft is way too light. The titleist is a bit better but is still a watered down version of the tensei white. I found the super hybrid to be more forgiving and less hook biased than the other two. I found it to be longer as well but not tons.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @Rosco1216 said:

> > > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > @Ivyguy said:

> > > > > > @"Canoe Paddler" said:

> > > > > > Finally, the perfect club to fill the gap between my 330 yard 3 wood and 280 yard 4 iron

> > > > >

> > > > > Holy crap.... this was funny.

> > > > >

> > > > > I would take that from my driver, all day everyday..... a hybrid?

> > > > >

> > > > > Holy Christmas

> > > >

> > > > Quig can comment but didn't he turn this down to 16*? It's it's basically playing like a shortened 3 wood. I'm pretty sure I've seen him post like 185+ mph ball speed with driver too... so yeah his drives probably can carry 330 on most simulators.

> > >

> > > That is correct, I did have it set to 16*.

> >

> > Quigley, have you tried the g410? I was thinking about a TS2, g410 and the super Callaway. I’m going through an experiment to try a hybrid as a replacement for a fairway wood so I’m looking at hybrid that are bigger and lower lofted. I picked up a g410 and set it flat at 16* and I’m pleasantly surprised. I figured I would have trouble keeping the launch and spin down but have no problem whatsoever.

> >

>

> Are we talking about the hybrids? If so, yes I have tried them all. They are all solid. I do not like the stock shaft offering for the ping at all. The alta shaft is way too light. The titleist is a bit better but is still a watered down version of the tensei white. I found the super hybrid to be more forgiving and less hook biased than the other two. I found it to be longer as well but not tons.

I'd love to hit this club against my M1 5w cut down to 40.5'' and with some weight in the head and as fade biased as I can get it. I too find most hybrids, even the open setting to still be a little bitt draw biased. Although, I have not hit G410 yet and I hear that goes about as flat and open as anything. I just don't like turbulators...Sry Ping.

I have two rounds under my belt testing the Super Hybrid against my current 3-wood and Hybrid. Both rounds played hitting these exclusively as my tee shots( my Ping G410 LST with Stock Tensia CK Orange X, and in the Super Hybrids I had the Tensei stock Orange X in them as well). I hit my 3-wood on a lower trajectory, so depending on course conditions the effectiveness of my three wood can vary. This time of year I tend to get less roll in the wetter NY fairways.

This is what my experience has been over the course of two rounds: I used both the 17* and also tested the 20* because I like to matching Hybrids.

I was initially drawn to the promise of 3-wood length from a Hybrid, on that I would say the 17* Carry was similar, with the 3 wood having a higher trajectory, and less roll out.

In order for me to switch to this club I would want it to replace my 3 wood, and in order for that to happen it would have to be more forgiving and easier to hit than my 3 wood, which I did not find. I found that the Super Hybrid likes to hook a bit for me on my misses. I attribute not being easier to hit for me to the length (41.5), I felt that this length felt awkward and took some adjusting to. Surprisingly what I did find was that the 20* went real long, definitely 5 wood long, and for me felt more comfortable and was easier to hit at this length. To me it isn't worth the expense to replace my 3 wood with the 17* as no real improvement on forgiveness or length over three wood, butI would consider the 20* because it was real long and straight for me (the length looked better to my eye and i felt comfortable swinging it), it went 5 wood lengths for me. The other issue was the size of them, the heads are huge. I prefer a smaller more compact look. So neither of these will be going into my bag. I will wait and see the new hybrid offerings in the late winter.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

> @QuigleyDU said:

> > @tcutshaw1723 said:

> > > @brentkrug said:

> > > There is no way the stock shaft is the PRO tensei Orange bc Tensei Orange is one of the stiffest shafts out there........would not fit enough of general public given the stout profile. It is probably a made for CAllaway mid launch orange much like the driver shaft non pro orange that is mid launch. But Callaway does need to make this clear.......It would not make any sense for stock shaft to be a real deal stiff as **** orange

> >

> > It has already been confirmed but just to check I called my local rep who again confirmed that yes it is the real deal pro orange shaft. Hence the price. It is aimed at a different segment of the market and all of the Callaway guys are super excited about it. My rep told me point blank "go buy one, like today" and he's always been a straight shooter with me

>

> Is he going to foot part of the bill?

I actually do get a discount from him so in a sense yes. I actually don't think the price is that bad considering the shaft you get with it. I ordered the 17 deg and should have it wed-thursday.

Q. Is the stock sole weight 7g? (17*)

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

> @tcutshaw1723 said:

> > @QuigleyDU said:

> > > @tcutshaw1723 said:

> > > > @brentkrug said:

> > > > There is no way the stock shaft is the PRO tensei Orange bc Tensei Orange is one of the stiffest shafts out there........would not fit enough of general public given the stout profile. It is probably a made for CAllaway mid launch orange much like the driver shaft non pro orange that is mid launch. But Callaway does need to make this clear.......It would not make any sense for stock shaft to be a real deal stiff as **** orange

> > >

> > > It has already been confirmed but just to check I called my local rep who again confirmed that yes it is the real deal pro orange shaft. Hence the price. It is aimed at a different segment of the market and all of the Callaway guys are super excited about it. My rep told me point blank "go buy one, like today" and he's always been a straight shooter with me

> >

> > Is he going to foot part of the bill?

>

> I actually do get a discount from him so in a sense yes. I actually don't think the price is that bad considering the shaft you get with it. I ordered the 17 deg and should have it wed-thursday.

I was being sarcastic, but that is awesome.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

> @kekoa said:

> ****, so your stock driver is in the 400 range? ;)

>

> Great review.

I wish, but no. With driver I am usually in the 179-182 ball speed range and the 2200 spin range.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Go buy one right now damn it! Loll. Its between this and the epic flash.. whichever hits 200 on the dot for me plus feels better. I hit the epic flash hybrid. Felt great flight was great. Hard to beat. I also worry about the turf interaction with such a bigger hybrid head.. kinda seems like a rogue x? Just saying yeah its a regular hybrid but sorta likea cross with a wood. Imo just a rogue x untill i see it. Tempting and fun though lol.

> @"Canoe Paddler" said:

> Finally, the perfect club to fill the gap between my 330 yard 3 wood and 280 yard 4 iron

Best comment ever!! ?

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Driver: Mizuno st180 - Diamana Bf60x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]3 wood: Callaway rogue sz - GD Tour AD-DI 7x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 85x ---Testing Srixon H85 veylix rome 988x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]2-Iron: PXG 0311x extreme dark - KBS Tour prototype hybrid 95s+[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-pw - Project x lz 6.5[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Wedges: Mizuno T7 52&58 - KBS Custom Black Wedge shafts[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Putter: Toulon Atlanta Garage All black[/size][/font][/i]