How do you know a Wedge is Dead?

I think I was spoiled by the last set of wedges I owned before I came back to the game (CG12 zip grooves), but what should I generally look for to figure out whether a wedge should be replaced? Just performance or visual indications.

Case in point, my wedges (Callaway MD3’s) are starting to brown in the center, is this the general indication that a wedge is starting to lose its best days?

For someone who golfs twice and practices with them daily, any suggested timeline for a general replacement dates (months, years, etc) on wedges.

Thank you.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tour AD XC7 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): RTX-4 Raw/DGS400
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Three minutes after I throw it in pond. By then they've usually stopped breathing...

Every year if you're practicing and playing.

I'd just go by the spin performance indices. When you notice less bite or can't hold the greens like they used to, go shopping.

I’ve read 75 rounds , speith was quoted for his with wedges with exception of his 60* , every couple of months . Goes without saying he gets them free and hits thousands of balls

I’m sure somebody out here has a lot better info than this

I’m interested as well

• Like 1

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

> @sdandrea said:

> I'd just go by the spin performance indices. When you notice less bite or can't hold the greens like they used to, go shopping.

This is what I have been noticing. If I throw the shot higher it stops due to the increased land angle, but if I try and flight one in low they are starting to release too much if the green has any firmness to it.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus w/Tour AD XC7 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): RTX-4 Raw/DGS400
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Quick check for me is scrape your thumbnail over the face/grooves. If your nail catches, grooves are good. If it just slides over, they’re worn. If they feel worn, that’s when I’ll start keeping an eye out on course or the short game area for spin issues, but a new one will likely be in the bag in short order.

• Like 1

> @drbonesvt said:

> I’ve read 75 rounds , speith was quoted for his with wedges with exception of his 60* , every couple of months . Goes without saying he gets them free and hits thousands of balls

>

> I’m sure somebody out here has a lot better info than this

>

> I’m interested as well

The 75 rounds is marketing non sense from Titleist to sell more wedges. I rarely hit my 50* wedges to the point that I just dropped them for the set wedges just to fill out the gaps. Might hit 1 shot a round with it, so after 75 rounds it should be replaced...

Harrington at one point was using 2 sets of wedges but would go through like 6-8 sets a season. Game one set for a month while practicing with the other to get the grooves to the point where he liked the most, then change after a month and get a new set to start yet again.

• Like 1

SM 3.5 Bag:

G410 Plus 9* w/ Tensei Orange Pro 6X

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Evenflow EF T1100 6.0

TBD

TBD

Piretti Potenza II 365g 34"

I think it depends on how good u are and how much money you can spend. For a lob wedge, I fully believe a few hundred strikes makes a difference and a thousand would be more than time for replacement. For a gap wedge, rolling up the face and flying a bit more isn’t a huge deal unless u are really good and/or playing for lots of money.

> @"j.a." said:

> When great wedges were $50, they were replaced every year. Now that they cost more, they last more

When great wedges were $50 nobody ever changed them, lol. As to OP, depends on conditions you play in. Sand based soils will wear them much faster. Should be able to tell visually frankly, the milling will be worn down or you'll notice dulling in the grooves.

The results should tell you. Shots releasing and not checking are a good tell. You play a lot so once a year wouldn't seem excessive.

• Like 1

How long does a wedge last? I have no idea in a generic sense.

What I do know is that not using your game wedges at the driving range is a good practice. I have a couple of old wedges that spend their entire lives hitting, "hard" balls during my practice.

My Miura only hits buttery soft Bridgestone B XS balls (or the equivalent). This helps preserve it's mojo.

Id go by visual and performance. If the finish of the wedge looks worn off and the edges of the grooves dont look as squared off as they should, it may need to be replaced. Also, if you notice that the ball isnt checking up as much as it used to, it may need to be replaced.

I wouldnt really go by the 75 round rule of the notion that you should replace them annually because we all practice and play different amounts. Personally, I usually get at least 3 years out of a wedge and play once or twice a week from April-November. To be fair though, I play cheaper, lower spin balls; so for me, optimal wedge spin is much less of a concern. I honestly kind of feel like I replace my wedges way too often for that reason. If youre someone who plays Pro V1s and wants as much spin as you can get, you may want to look to replacing them sooner.

If you hear the sound of bagpipes

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

> @sdandrea said:

> I'd just go by the spin performance indices. When you notice less bite or can't hold the greens like they used to, go shopping.

Don't use the tour pros as a gauge: Some of them switch to fresh wedges every few tournaments. Part of this is psychological comfort... and the fact most get free wedges.

In _Links_ mag, wedge guru Bob Vokey suggests that after 70 rounds plus practice time it's probably time to replace your wedges. That's every 1.5 to 2 years for "avid golfers."

For full article, see: [https://linksmagazine.com/get_in_gear_wedges/](https://www.linksmagazine.com/get_in_gear_wedges/ "https://linksmagazine.com/get_in_gear_wedges/")

If you end up in bunkers a lot, you should probably replace your SW more often.

A couple of GolfWRXers say they have matching sets of four wedges: Set A for practice, and Set B for play. I guess it depends in part on how much money you have to ease psychological uncertainty on course...

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).