Most unforgiving blades to hit pure?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a hard time with Wilson Staff dynaflow or fluidfeel or some such. Late 60s-very early 70s with red epoxy bore thru hosels. Classic iron, totally beyond his capabilities then, maybe 1/4” wide soles

> @cardoustie said: > The old accuform .. I have the 1 > > You won't find tougher ... used to be played by a handful of tour pro's including DLIII   I picked up a 1i other week as I'm

The one in my avatar. Greg Norman Signature, "Tour" stamped. Best and worst of bladedom in my experience. High & inner sweet spot that's nirvana to strike. Thin & toe shots are jarring, even d

This is my opinion of course, but I'd think you'd get better results honing your skills with the irons you regularly play with. I get where your coming from - it's been discussed here many times - but regular practice with your usual tools will probably make your game better faster.

That being said blades can be life-changing in a good way. Don't look for the scariest ones though - search around here for advice on the better ones and enjoy their unique challenges. Good luck!

Gut reaction wants to say any Titliest MB would be fine.

Gut reaction also wants to ask, why not just hone in the 6i you use on the regular?

Titleist TSi2 9* Tensei AV 65 Raw White

Titleist 917f2 16.5* Diamana S+ 70s

Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Titleist 718 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12F, 58/12K

Ping Anser Milled 2 34"

I don’t think it’s a bad idea. There are several successful training aids out there that basically force the user to make the type of swing that would be required to consistently hit a super unforgiving bladed iron.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Jack is right..any older blade.Grab a 6i fron ebay mp 68/69/33/ will be a nice experience.i bouggt 710mb mid winter...8am at Range i was hitting Rocks..never understood the term till then.....that was 7 years ago just as i joined golfwrx.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

My 18 year old has just started playing. He’s using my sets to learn on: Mizuno MP4s, MacGregor VIP Limited’s (blades from the early 1970s) and MacGregor MT Pro C (player’s CB from 2008).

In order, his preference is MP4s, VIPs then the Pro Cs...mostly because of the level of feedback. After a couple of months of range time, he has a nice swing, just lacking in a bit of speed and consistency. From this and my obvious bias, I would suggest something MP from Mizuno...the feedback really is instant and for me that has always been the best way to hone a swing. Good luck!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

The old accuform .. I have the 1

You won't find tougher ... used to be played by a handful of tour pro's including DLIII

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

It won't help you hone in your swing. You'd need a biomechanics session and a good swing coach for that. But if you want to practise with a blade 6 iron any make will do.

CALLAWAY ROGUE SUB ZERO 9*
CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP
ADAMS PRO HYBRID 
SRIXON Z565 4-P
CLEVELAND RTX4 RAW 48*, 54*

TAYLORMADE HI TOE 60*
ODYSSEY 2M CS

> @cardoustie said:

> The old accuform .. I have the 1

>

> You won't find tougher ... used to be played by a handful of tour pro's including DLIII

I picked up a 1i other week as I'm going to build a PTM bag up (already have like 4 wedges). Doesn't hurt that they were made a few minutes from where I grew up. For something a bit newer, the Cleveland CG1 Black Pearl irons were super thin soled and felt like the SS was the size of a pea, but felt great when you do hit them.

• Like 1

SM 3.5 Bag:

G410 Plus 9* w/ Tensei Orange Pro 6X

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Evenflow EF T1100 6.0

TBD

TBD

Piretti Potenza II 365g 34"

> @"Jack Pearsall" said:

> Had a hard time with **Wilson Staff dynaflow or fluidfeel or some such. Late 60s-very early 70s** with red epoxy bore thru hosels. Classic iron, totally beyond his capabilities then, maybe 1/4” wide soles at hosel. just brutal long irons. They were popular with better players.

> Any long iron before 1975...

True. I've got a 1971 WS Button Backs and they are difficult to hit solid. My 1999 Hogan Apex MBs are like SGIs compared to them.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

The one in my avatar. Greg Norman Signature, "Tour" stamped. Best and worst of bladedom in my experience. High & inner sweet spot that's nirvana to strike. Thin & toe shots are jarring, even dead middle can feel punishing. Incredible joy to nut, though. Tons of spin to them. Some part of that is the grooves (illegal these days). Some of Hoffman's best forging, really, really soft. The build of set is first rate, perfect weighting, in fact best of the 15 sets owned from wide variety of OEM's including Mizuno, Titleist & Miura . Perfect 4 grams apart, yet long irons are not too heavy and shorts not too light. I revere and fear them, lol.

• Like 1

You'd be a hell of a lot better off watching hours and hours of Adam Scott swing footage, going to work with a coach, and swinging a Ping G series than you would beating balls at the range with an old blade. I don't know why people think this is the best way to improve. Move on from the youtube comments, most people purporting this theory can't break 80.

Taylormade Sim 9* Ventus Velo Blue 7x 

Taylormade Sim Max 3W Aldila Rogue 110MSI 70x

Taylormade Sim Max 5W Ventus Velo Blue 7x

Taylormade P7MC 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Taylormade MG2 TW 56* + 60* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro -V1x  or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

> @Nard_S said:

> The one in my avatar. Greg Norman Signature, "Tour" stamped. Best and worst of bladedom in my experience. High & inner sweet spot that's nirvana to strike. Thin & toe shots are jarring, even dead middle can feel punishing. Incredible joy to nut, though. Tons of spin to them. Some part of that is the grooves (illegal these days). Some of Hoffman's best forging, really, really soft. The build of set is first rate, perfect weighting, in fact best of the 15 sets owned from wide variety of OEM's including Mizuno, Titleist & Miura . Perfect 4 grams apart, yet long irons are not too heavy and shorts not too light. I revere and fear them, lol.

Looking at photos online looks like a crazy thin sole. Beautiful irons.

> @easylittle5wood said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > The one in my avatar. Greg Norman Signature, "Tour" stamped. Best and worst of bladedom in my experience. High & inner sweet spot that's nirvana to strike. Thin & toe shots are jarring, even dead middle can feel punishing. Incredible joy to nut, though. Tons of spin to them. Some part of that is the grooves (illegal these days). Some of Hoffman's best forging, really, really soft. The build of set is first rate, perfect weighting, in fact best of the 15 sets owned from wide variety of OEM's including Mizuno, Titleist & Miura . Perfect 4 grams apart, yet long irons are not too heavy and shorts not too light. I revere and fear them, lol.

>

> Looking at photos online looks like a crazy thin sole. Beautiful irons.

Yeah the crazy part is that they have a reverse muscle where it tapers in to 2/3 height in the vertical (then juts out) and also tapers out heel to toe in horizontal. If an Italian car designer made blades, this is what he would come up with, lol. They remind me of Lambo Countache.

• Like 1

> @billybaroo said:

> Let's assume your practice 6i has a sweet spot toward the hosel and your regular irons have a sweet spot biased towards the toe. Perfect! You've just learned how to groove the wrong swing.

>

> Practice on what you play.

This is pretty much it. Teaching yourself to hit a sweet spot positioned in a different location than your regular irons seems a bit counterproductive.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5