PXG Gen 3... Jan 2020 (ST, Gen 3 T and P Photos added Page 13)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can we just start a thread dedicated to those who want to rag on PXG so the rest of us can enjoy the on-topic discussions?

I have 2 full sets of their Gen 2 irons and I don’t care what people think. I don’t ever talk about what someone else buys (home, car, watch, etc). Sometimes I might be a little envious but I don’t

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments. My son is in the Air Force and daughter (hopefully) heading to West Point. We love America and our Military branches. Love this site and the great people on her

Finally!!!

From left to right - Ping i500 - Gen 3 P - Gen 3 T

Its difficult to tell from the picture, but the i500 has the thinnest top line, just slimmer then the Gen 3 T, but it has the widest sole.

The Gen 3 P has the thickest top line and the second widest sole.

The Gen 3 T's top line is just barely wider than the i500, and it has the most narrow sole.

I would compare the overall size of the P to the Titlest AP1 718's, which I previously owned. However, the rounded edge does give the PXG irons the appearance of a slimmer top line.

For me, personally, the T is the perfect blend of the i500 and Gen 3 P in terms of looks...performance remains to be seen.

Z5AVDXL8I9FE.jpg

• Like 1

more pics of the p vs t please!!

• Like 1

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

Comparison of the G3 models by PXG

PXG 0311 GEN3 Golf Club Iron Sets - PXG

• Like 1

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Accra TZ6/M4, 80g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST, 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM DHY, #4 & 5, Diamana Thump HY, 105g X
TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 4 - PW, TW Lofts, Project X LS, 6.5
TAYLORMADE P-770, 4 - PW, 10th LE Black Nippon Modus 115 X
TAYLORMADE MG2 CHROME, 52/9, 56/12, 60/8, Project X LS, 6.5
VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 53/9F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX 
TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

I'm a pretty good ball striker (scratch handicap) and used to seeing spin numbers in the upper 5k rpms for a 7i and low 4ks for a 5i which is where i want them given my descent angle is always around 45-47 degrees (so plenty of stopping ability even with those spin numbers).

I did a phone fitting a week or two back and I got my new Gen3 T's yesterday and now have a good bit of time with the 5i and 7i in my home hitting bay (Fiber built mat with Skytrak) and I'm finding the spin numbers really high (for me), 6100 rpm with the 5i and 7100 rpm with the 7i. Question is do I return them and have them put a different shaft in them, or do I just rebuild them myself with something I have in the workshop?

The T model is a higher lofted iron (blade type results) with the forgiveness of a perimeter weighted iron. With the higher loft, 7i at 32*, it will provide more spin.

You will need to decrease the loft in the irons by bending stronger, replace with a stronger lofted iron (P or XP) or a stiffer tipped shaft.

6500 - 7000 rpm for a 7 iron is correct for this type iron.

What iron/shaft were you playing that gave you upper 5k spin for a 7 iron?

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X

The irons listed should be giving you 6500 - 7000 spin under same conditions as the 0311T iron. They have sufficient lofts to provide higher spin.

Have you tried them vs the T side-by-side?

Yes I have and the T's with these shafts are spinning about 1,500 RPM more than my current set. of irons. That isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, just not something I am used to seeing. The reason that my spin numbers have always been lower than "normal/standard" is that I have a very late release (thanks to years of playing field hockey and cricket), so the dynamic loft delivered at impact tends to be stronger/lower than most people. Low spinning irons has always been something I have had to contend with and my game has been built around this as has my club selection. The way I deliver the club to the ball makes me a fantastic driver of the ball, an ok iron player, and a very good short game player (if I don't have to hit lots of high soft landing short shots) because I can control spin around the green (you don't see me backing up shots with my wedges).

What I need to figure out with these new iron numbers, is if I go bak and find a shaft that gives me my usual numbers (and that will fit the rest of my bag) or do I stay with these more "normal" numbers and build a new bag around them.

So, is this off a mat indoors? Is so, what is the launch angle of the T vs the others.

Perhaps the wider sole of the T is causing more bounce and a higher launch and spin.

That is a great observation and good question. Launch angle is very similar (within 1 degree) and ballspeed is slight higher with the T's. It is just the spin number that is so different. I spoke to the PXG fitter and he has suggested throwing in a different shaft into the 7i and seeing what changes. If the spin number comes down, then I have the option to have PXG reshaft them for me.

I will rebuild the 7i this evening and give it a hit tomorrow.

A stiffer tipped shaft may drop launch and spin but that's about all.

Good luck!

How would you compare the looks/size/shape of the T's to some of these irons you've played? Smaller, bigger? Blade length?

Mavrik TripleD 9* Tensei Pro White 60tx
TS3 15*  Tensei Pro White 70tx
SIM 5 wood Tensei White 70x
PING G410 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 M4
PING i210 5-PW MMT 105tx
PING Glide 3.0 50, 56ss
TW11 60
Newport 2 

Just one final thought.....How are the grooves on the other irons? worn down? Perhaps it is simply a case of fresh sharp grooves spinning the ball more than the older irons grooves?

Its a little strange but they are actually quite different to almost all of the above. Shorter blade length than everything other than the Blueprints and probably the same as the P730s., Slightly thicker topline than the Blueprint and 620CB (most similar to the P750)'s but with a slightly wider sole than all of them, and sole width changes from heel to toe (narrow in the heel, wider at the toe). At address they look a lot like Pings given the bottom groove is painted white, but before everybody jumps up and says that is to be expected given the Ping heritage of the PXG designers, they have plenty of un-Ping like features.

Above all they are THE BEST feeling/sounding irons I have ever hit and I have owned every major (and most niche forgings) out there. They also are finished unlike any other iron I have owned. I was a skeptic around the "these look, feel, sound better than anything else" claims but I have to admit these claims are entirely true.

Here is a quick update on the ongoing fitting situation with my Gen3 T's. Swapped out the Aerotech i95R for Modus 105S in the 5i and 7i. Saw an immediate reduction in spin as well as increase in ball speed in the 5 iron:

7i spin is down to about 6,300 RPM with ball speed and launch angle remaining the same resulting in about a half a club increase in distance and almost back to where I would expect yardages to be.

5i spin is down to 5,300 RPM (still a little higher than historically) but launch angle is a little lower and ball speed has jumped by about 4 miles per hour resulting in a full club to a club and half gain in yardages. When the spin rate is around the 5,000 RPM then yardages are longer than normal. I am chalking this up to the way the i95R were delivering the club face at impact generating too much dynamic loft resulting in higher launch and spin. From my research it seems that some people have this situation with the Steelfibers.

I also put the 5i on the loft/lie machine after this last session and it was a degree weaker than standard. I have bent it back to standard and will test again tomorrow (hopefully because it is meant rain all day) to see if that shaves off the last few hundred RPM.

All in all I am excited by the progress we are making. I do have a set of Dynamic Gold 105s coming which would be an interesting comparison as supposedly they meant to spin a little less than the Modus but with similar launch.

Worst case is I could game them with the Modus 105 and play around with balls to figure out the spin ratios between long and short irons.

Excellent...with less spin ball speed should increase. Less tip flex should lower shaft kick resulting lower launch and spin.

Have you tied the Dynamic Gold 105 or 120 xstiff?

May not need to go that far as it appears you are close.

Good luck with the testing!

The Ps look considerably larger than the Ts at address. I would be surprised if you do not go for the Ts!

Driver (9.75):  Titleist TS3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (15):  Titleist TS2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  PXG  0317X Gen 2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
 Hybrid (22):  PXG  0317X Gen 2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-P):  PXG 0311T Gen 2 (TT Elevate Tour S)
Wedges:  50/54/58:  PXG Sugar Daddy Milled (TT Elevate Tour S)
Putters: Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Well I have my first round with my new Gen3 T's in the books. All I can say is WOW!!!!! I stated earlier I was highly skeptical of the PXG marketing spiel, but I will eat crow and go on record as saying that they live up to the hype. Only issue is my Honma TW-4 wedges (which up until today were honestly the best feeling wedges I have ever played) now feel a little like cast iron. Guess I need to start thinking about PXG wedges (open to advice on this from this group please).....

I just put these in the bag (replaced SM7s). Dense/soft feel with TONS of spin. I really like them (and got them for $159 each with the Lefty deal!).

BJ9BBNYTSU7A.jpg

Driver (9.75):  Titleist TS3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (15):  Titleist TS2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  PXG  0317X Gen 2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
 Hybrid (22):  PXG  0317X Gen 2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-P):  PXG 0311T Gen 2 (TT Elevate Tour S)
Wedges:  50/54/58:  PXG Sugar Daddy Milled (TT Elevate Tour S)
Putters: Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Will the P's be lower spinning than the T's? I am solid ball striker and 2 handicap but ordered P's because I don't mind offset and larger face area. I'm only concerned that these will spin too low and I don't need any extra distance...I ordered them 1 degree weak in lofts. Hoping I don't regret not going with the T's.

On a similar note - I see Pat Perez plays a full set of XP's so I figured I'm not too good for a set of P's!

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1808872/pat-perez-witb-january-2020

Pat as of January had only the 3, 4 in the xp...the rest are the p.

The p is much larger than the t....https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/irons/gen3/comparison

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to play the T's as a 12 handicap, but they've been fantastic. I prefer the smaller profile. As I've previously said, the P's were much chunkier than I expected. The P's are fantastic irons, but I prefer the look of the T's and only experienced a slight loss of distance (2 or 3 yards) with the T's. Forgiveness is awesome with the T's as well.